Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  4:16:13 PM  Show Profile
For those of us old enough to remember - I too remember hiding under my desk at school in the Atom Bomb days. I still have the medic alert bracelets that we had with our names, addresses and religion on them - talk about being naive!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  2:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, every year since I've moved from California to Kentucky there have been emergencies here. Everything from an ice storm (Without power for two weeks) to floods (My old job almost lost everything) to tornadoes! (Touched down about 2 miles away) So disaster preparedness is forefront during these months.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AimeeC
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Aimee
Selah Washington
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:25:29 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget the personal items! Give each person a bath towel, hand towel, washcloth and a bar of soap. For ladies, don't forget your monthly supplies-even if your daughters are only 7 or 8, if you forget to look for a year or two, they may "start", and you'll be in a real pickle! Bar soap, of course, can be used to wash bodies, hands, faces, hair and clothes.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile
We keep a tacke box that is filled with first aid supplies by the back door to just grab and run.As for bottled water and food, I need to build my reserves back up.I was doing so good and used them and didnt replace.Lazy. This spring with the tornadoes,floods etc. shows how imprtant this is. An idea I took from the news after Joplin was take pics of your belongings for insurance purposes. A camera card is easy to store and its all on there.
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I have worked for our state's Emergency Management Agency for several years now. If you check on www.fema.gov you can also find information on being prepared for disasters. Also, check with your individual state and county for a website to for your local Emergency Management Agency. Great info to know should a disaster hit in your local area. It helps to know who your county and state contacts are when needed. All of these sites can prove to be helpful to all of us in preparing for a disaster.

Nancy J. Boyd
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  10:58:27 AM  Show Profile
I know our local doctors offices carry free radon kits...next time you're in the docs office that might be a good thing to get, just in case!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile
we have an escape plan and a go bag
I go thru every couple of months
add things renew things
its my just incase bag
plus its waterproof
you never know.
I started this after 9/11
since i live so close to NYC
I still feel edgy at times ..
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  7:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Keeping gas in your tank is important if you're away from home. But when I lived in CA I always kept a backpack in the trunk of my car in case the roads were impassable. Also I try to keep fire wood that I can cook and heat with. My biggest concern is water. I'm on a well and without power... so, my next big purchase is a deep well hand pump. Food and water in the house are a given. Used to have about 6 months worth, but with the economy were down to about 2 months.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Here are some things to remember if you're in a disaster and only have kitchen stuff where you are (ie: maybe in the basement or something)

Honey is very antibacterial
Black pepper will stop bleeding-just put it on and apply pressure
Smelling green apple will help claustrophobia
Putting an ice pack in your armpit or groin area will lower temp really quickly.

Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  11:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Each state has their own Emergency Management Agency as well that can provide additional information on what to have on hand for disasters. They might even have their own website under the individual state's website. An example would be www.ohio.gov/ema. Also, FEMA (www.fema.gov) should also have information listed on their website regarding preparing for disasters. Here in Ohio we also have Emergency Management Agencies at the county level. This would be a great phone number to have on hand should anyone experience a natural or man-made disaster in their local area. These individuals, along with the American Red Cross, should also have access to programs and/or information on where to go for monetary help during times of disaster. Hope this additional information helps.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  3:39:04 PM  Show Profile
I am an amateur radio licensee, and they have a really good system for emergency response called RACES. If you are technically inclined, you might consider becoming a ham radio operator and learning how to communicate on the amateur radio frequencies (when cell phone towers fail, amateur radio often fills the gap.)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile
I find this thread interesting. I know I should have a bag ready to go in case anything ever happens, but my problem is, I don't really have anyplace to run to.

I am more interested in prepping. I went through a week/half with no power during the ice storm of 2009. Since then I try to keep supplies on hand at all times and will buy more before winter hits. Around here when the stores opened after the storm, they sold out of everything in less than 5 hours. You couldn't hardly buy a case of water, a battery or a candle.

I also don't trust the government to help out in a major crisis (doesn't matter what party is in office, I don't trust any of them) and I laugh at the keep 3 days of food and water on hand. I am trying to build up a stockpile of at least 3 months worth of food. I have a well and am trying to figure how I would get water from it in a power outage. Heating and cooking is no problem, I have two kerosene heaters and a wood stove. I have already started preparing for this winter because if the rumors are true it may end up being a doozy!
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile
I have food storage, emergency lights and alternative cooking methods. I store drinking water in the basement storage area and animal water 3-45 gal barrels in the garage. We eat from the food storage and easily rotate the food. I rotate the water during canning season as well as some gardening.
I started with a few meals to several months. I have had to rely on my food storage exclusively several times. A few times a year we have "played we are in a disaster". The kids love it! It also tests where I am deficient.
This year, I started using a solar oven. I made a thermal cooking with my neighborhood group. That is next to try! Don't store foots you are not familiar with.

Laura~Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGirlsCreate

The Girls Create on Facebook~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Girls-Create/152037319813
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I'm betting we're not too far away from each other. We went 2 weeks with no power. We have wood heat/cistern water...and we ran off generators the whole time. It was rough, but we did it. The wood heat saved us-I was able to cook on the wood stove the whole time. It's just like a cooktop, and you can use the actual wood area for cooking stuff, too.

Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh boogers. I had a nice long reply typed out to this yesterday, and lost my connection right when I hit send! Thanks BRTC!!

Megan, Paint Lick is more towards the center to the eastern part of the state, isn't it? I'm in the Northwestern part, right across the border from ILL. (Paducah/Kevil area)

I can cook on top of the stove, just not inside. This thing is old, around 60+ and the damper doesn't work anymore. Which means it's either a slow simmer or open all the way and full roar. I really don't have the money to get a generator, so I am looking at an Amish water bucket or a small hand pump from Lehmans, to use if I loose power for an extended period of time.

Have you heard anything about how this Winter may be? The almanac is saying it will be mild but some of the old timers around here are saying they think it could be a rough one.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Well I keep hearing it's going to be mild since the last few were so rough. I'm starting to stock up on batteries in preparation for this winter, though! I'm also making sure my percolator is ready. I love my coffee!

Go to Top of Page

DewOnAPetal
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Marty
Whitney Point NY
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  7:52:26 PM  Show Profile
When I lived in NYC, I had a go-bag and we coordinated a meeting place. I have since moved upstate to the country, but still keep my go-bag in the car, almost always with a full tank of gas. Luckily, we have a generator that would keep us going for up to 10 days while we plan what to do next in the event of a disaster. I bought this place as a safe haven for my 2 kids who live in NYC and Philly if it was ever necessary.

www.DewOnAPetal.com soy candles
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  5:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, we're pretty much on our "safe haven". I'm looking to start a "Disaster" toolbox. Hammer, nails, saw, screwdrivers, caulk, bucket...

Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  05:35:46 AM  Show Profile
I check in on this topic from time to time. I am just starting to reorganize my basement food storage area this week. We bought a generator this summer. I hope we don't need it but it is good to have since we lost power in the big storm a couple of years ago.

Stacking firewood and getting kerosene to have too. Canned food and water. I should get a go bag but have not done that yet. We are in the country and not near rivers so I don't worry as much about that but probably should anyway just to be safe.

I like the idea of a solar stove. Maybe I will look into that but I am not sure it would work in the winter.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  11:28:30 PM  Show Profile
I am very aware of preparedness and the need for it. I am slowly building up stocks of everything but the problem of course is where to put it all. As hubby thinks I am crazy, I have to make sure it is super organised and not taking over the house or sheds.
Great to hear what everyone is doing and to hear 72 hour kits mentioned as though it is a normal thing to do!!
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  10:42:09 AM  Show Profile
I have lots of emergency kits. Ever since 9/11 and blackout at NYC I am more prepare than before. I was stuck when there was a blackout at NYC. Thank goodness for a good pair of sneaker, a book and a small portable radio)...if it is humid thank goodness for a small notebook to fan and 1 small bottle and snack.

I have 3 sets for home (for each individual: 72 hrs kit in the family and for us), 1 for work (no longer working so I don't need it but usually I have one for work), 1 for the car & another is the snow kit (shovel, gloves, blanket and such...), 1 for each pet (parrot and terrier).

I purchase mine from Red Cross, Amazon and other site and tweak here and there to see my needs.
Also I check out http://www.ready.gov/, red cross,...need to check on fema...

My wish is to work on the basement and make it as a pantry if possible...for 6 months and maybe up to a year...can't now cuz we might move.

Edited by - njaw09 on Sep 25 2011 10:46:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile
In response to the question of a solar oven in the winter. The solar oven is suppose to work, as long as there is sun. I had a gentleman say he started a small roast, potatoes and dessert at 6a and it was below freezing and partly cloudy. When he returned at 4p he had a piping hot dinner!
I am looking forward to trying it out this winter.

Laura~Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGirlsCreate

The Girls Create on Facebook~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Girls-Create/152037319813
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:40:46 AM  Show Profile
My favourite thing for power outs (and just night time trips to the chook shed or to bottle feed lambs!) is my wind-up torch! Every year our supermarket gets a whole heap in for $3.99 (this is cheap in Australia) and they sell out in an hour or so. We have one in every room in the house, a couple in the cars, in the sheds. Now I want to get a wind-up radio too.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  7:08:17 PM  Show Profile
HI ALL
we have our first nor'easter (major snow storm) since there were so many leaves still on the trees
lots of tree branches crashed down on the power lines so blackout they said it could be a week.
thankfully i was prepared lots of candles flashlights w/fresh batteries ..a natural gas heater in the basement. its the same as a gas fireplace..came with the house in the fifties and its a godsend in the winter..i replaced it with a newer model afew years back..
food nonperishable, extra large coolers for persihable i packed with snow to keep cold.acouple of cases of bottled water.
cells and laptops w/car chargers plus a windup radio..and alot of old dvd movies ..battery book lite
thankful it was only 24hrs...after 911 i put together a go bag since i live so close to the city, and keep where i can get to it quickly. we made a plan as to where to meet if something happens and we can not reach each other..i know some of you may think this is strange but afew summers later we have a really bad blackout and even cell service was down..that was scary everyone thought
i keep an emergency kit in my car. i'm always looking for ways to be better prepared..
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  8:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information...

quote:
Originally posted by brightmeadow

I don't know if this has been posted here before, I look back for about a year. It's worth mentioning again, even if it is an old topic.

The American Red Cross has a lot of information on their web site http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0,1082,0_77_,00.html on how to prepare your home for emergencies including power blackouts, thunderstorms, mudslides, tornadoes and hurricanes, as well as terrorist attacks.

You probably know which types of disasters are most likely for your area, but there are basics that apply to all types of disasters.

The basic plan consists of a family communication plan, an evacuation plan, and a supplies kit. They have suggestions for each of these.

Check it out today, be prepared.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or in the life of another" Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Disaster Preparedness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page