brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  02:00:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if this has been posted here before, I look back for about a year. It's worth mentioning again, even if it is an old topic.

The American Red Cross has a lot of information on their web site http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0,1082,0_77_,00.html on how to prepare your home for emergencies including power blackouts, thunderstorms, mudslides, tornadoes and hurricanes, as well as terrorist attacks.

You probably know which types of disasters are most likely for your area, but there are basics that apply to all types of disasters.

The basic plan consists of a family communication plan, an evacuation plan, and a supplies kit. They have suggestions for each of these.

Check it out today, be prepared.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Sep 14 2006 02:01:35 AM

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  05:09:47 AM  Show Profile
Brenda- Another great resource for emergency preparedness is
http://www.providentliving.org/
You can find resources on disaster planning, food storage, gardening, employment, debt reduction, etc. It is a "prepare and prevent" type approach.
When you start looking, plan to spend some time!! There is so much valuable information in this site, that you could be reading for hours!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  06:33:09 AM  Show Profile
http://www.emergencyessentials.com is where we get our preparedness stuff from. To expand on what Karin said, be also prepared to spend money as well as time. It takes a lot of money to be prepared in terms of food and water storage.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

*~*Birth is SAFE Interferance is RISKY. TRUST BIRTH*~*

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  06:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh and I should mention that our general pantry has 6 months storage in it and my goal is to make it one year on top of our other food storage.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

*~*Birth is SAFE Interferance is RISKY. TRUST BIRTH*~*

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  06:58:37 AM  Show Profile
I am really "into" preparedness too and have visited and used the sites above. Thanks for this reminder! I for sure need to change out the kid's clothes in their 72 hour kits. I try to do it every 6 months..but I think it has been closer to a year and they have for sure grown. i try to use things like big tee shirts and baggy sweat pants so they last longer. I hope I never have to wear my "emergency" clothes..yikes..but I guess I would be happy they were there if I needed them!
Such a good feeling to be prepared. Storing water is my weak point. I need to be way better about that!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  07:40:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Jenny! If I had to wear what I have set aside for emergency clothing I think I would have to hide!! Hmmmm, maybe a little more upbeat outfit would be a better choice. I agree with sweats for kids- easy to get on and off, warm and cozy.
I had been pretty diligent about keeping water, but I seem to have slacked off a bit in the past year or so. I have 2 empty 55-gal drums under my porch I need to fill. Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  09:05:22 AM  Show Profile
These are all such good resources and suggestions - I'm now much more motivated to make at least 72-hour kits for us all. These ARE good reminders... It's great to be prepared! I like the idea of sweats for kids - AND for me! The coziness would be worth anything lost in style, I think.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Here's a question...where do you store your emergency supplies/clothing? Also, how do you safely store your water? Water is a big issue here as our well doesn't run if there is no power and an earthquake would probably make it unusable anyway. I keep two 5 gallon, storebought water jugs in our garage. I should probably check to see if they have expiry dates. A friend uses empty space in her freezer with frozen water containers which is a great idea I think.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile
I keep 5 gallon big heavy duty water jugs in the cellar and a couple in the garage and plan to get a couple of the big 55 gallon ones this fall for sure...I don't know what I would do without water for the animals!!! Mona alone drinks at least 10 gallons a day..maybe more...and there are the three sheep, 1 goat and the 3 dogs and 2 cats too...and the bunny...and the hens..oh my.
I keep my 72 hour kits in the garage..all the rest of our emergency stuff is in the little storage room right off our mud room/back porch. Food storage is in the cellar. I feel so lucky to have a cellar now..most of my life I have stored stuff all over the place...no cellars in the part of Calif I grew up in!! I used to have food storage under my kid's beds (now that is desperate!!) and in all the closets and all.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  2:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Di- I keep the food in current rotation close by in my hall closet. I move it to teh pantry in small amounts as necessary so I don't have huge amounts of food in there. Everything else in down under the house on shelves, oldest dates in front, newest in back. I keep water in small amounts on the floor of my pantry, as well as under the house. Right now, it's cases of small bottles. Need to work on that one! I also keep water bottles in our 72-hour kits, but have to rotate them out every now andnad then. Like Jenny, I also keep H2O for the dogs! Can't forget our furry friends!! I think I will make 72-hour kits for the dogs- little packaged bags of food, water, toys, flea preventer, heart worm meds, etc.
You can use backpacks for your kits- easy to grab and pretty stuffable if you are pinched for space in your car.
Check out the above links- you will get some great ideas!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  3:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals, I pretty much do the same thing and keep quantities of dryed foods like beans, etc. on hand. I guess depending on where you live is what you prepare for. Here it is the risk of major earthquake so if my house collapsed on my pantry, it would be awhile before we could get to it...although that might depend on how hungry we were too! Water for livestock isn't a major issue being as we're on the wet (west) coast. Keeping dry would be an issue for us in winter, but there is no shortage of firewood where we are. Lots of things to take into consideration, for sure.
Di
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  6:14:05 PM  Show Profile
For us the most likely disaster is losing electricity. We lose it during spring rains when the trees get topheavy and the roots get soggy and wind blows the trees over - during summer lightning storms or air conditioning overloads - during the fall and winter it is snow weighing down the branches, and then the branches break off and break the electric lines. Or cars hitting the electric poles when they skid on ice on the roads..

So we have a generator in the garage to run our pump and freezer. We keep about 20 gallons of gas in the garage (properly stored in the appropriate container) to run the generator. We also have a woodburning insert in our fireplace so we won't freeze in our all-electric home.

I am thinking about a solar setup with batteries for my amateur radio equipment but my husband (who is a certified energy engineer) thinks that solar is too expensive per kilowatt hour generated so he laughs at me.

I have to admit I don't normally keep water on hand because that generator is so handy. I think I will get motivated though, and go fill up the five gallon camping water container and keep it in the garage.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  10:43:46 PM  Show Profile
As we go into the colder seasons, I take such comfort when I look out and see the huge woodpile between the back door and the garden. Isn't it nice to know that you can heat with wood if you want/have to? I just love it - for the security of knowing that I can keep myself and my boys warm if for whatever reason our furnace isn't working, and for the coziness of a fire - speaking of which, tonight is cold enough that I have one burning in my wood stove as I type! The first of the season..... I just couldn't resist -

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  10:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Hasn't it been cold?? We picked all the tomatoes and peppers yesterday..ripe or not..and covered what we could in the garden for the first big frost..and boy was it cold..in the 20;s. Tonight feels just as cold!! I wanted to have a fire tonight in the woodstove but we didn't. Maybe tomorrow night since we will all be home. I can hardly wait. I agree..having a supply of wood and a woodstove or fireplace is probably the best security ..you can cook over it if need be, and it will keep the family warm if the power is out. Ours is a franklin and only heats one or two rooms but helps alot and is such a nice comfort. I wouldn't want to be without it!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Karin makes a good point about the pets. Having nametags with your name and cell phone number helps a lot in case you get separated. Also know that the Red Cross will not allow animals at their emergency facilities, so you may have to make other arrangements. Having an emergency kit for your dog or cat (or horse!) with their feed, a couple gallons of water, a carrier or crate, leash and collar, and their current meds to last about two weeks would help a bunch. And also this is a good time to think about microchipping your pet. It can help a lot with getting your pet back to you quickly.
Go to Top of Page

tsalagi
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Jo
Cedar Park TX
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  08:27:28 AM  Show Profile
Another preparedness consideration is: "Can we stay at home? Or will we have to evacuate?" And this, too, depends on the kind of disaster that may occur.

If you are able to stay at home, all the things mentioned already are great. It just takes planning, time, and money to assemble what you need.

But if you live in an urban or other area from which you must evacuate, there are a couple of other things you will need to do...

The most important is: "Where will we go to be safe?" Then decide on at least 2 or 3 possible routes from home and/or office, and know how much fuel (gasoline or diesel) will be needed to get there. Then get into the habit of always keeping no less than that much fuel your vehicle's fuel tank.

The other important thing is: "How portable are our supplies?" We store our supplies in small containers (coolers work great) that are not too heavy to load into the back of the car. And we use our car-camping outings for "practice".

And related to the above is: "How quickly can we get everything loaded and leave?" This, too, takes planning and practice. Make sure everyone has their list of responsibilities, and that they know exactly what to do, where it's stored, and where to load it.

Jo

!! Imagine !!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile
gosh .. i've lived through so many 'disaster threats' ... i remember climbing under our desks in the fifties in preparation for when the ATOM BOMB hit! Times really are so much more turbulent in the last fifty years though.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  2:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This is a big reminder for me! We have lots of food storage, but I need to go thru it all and see what is lacking...it will probably be fats and protiens...I have alot of grains, canned fruits and veggies, but not so much when it comes to oil, mayo, peanut butter, canned meats...us adults would be fine, but children and babies need fat for their little brains.

I need to work on the water situation too!

I really envy you gals with the woodstove...I just love the heat from one, you can cook on the top if you have to. If we lost power here for a long time during the winter months we would be soooo cold!

Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  8:46:49 PM  Show Profile
For any of you who would like to take a look, MaryJane also offers a food storage program and some great information - here's the link: [http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/food-storage.asp].

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Libbie, I didn't realize MaryJane had this program. This lady is a genius!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile
I am heading up the "Disaster Preparedness" committee in our little town (I just found out!) and I'm really thankful for all of your ideas - I'll also let you know if the committee comes up with anything great that all of us farmgirls can use!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  8:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Just FYI - FEMA puts out a pretty comprehensive book about disaster preparedness called "Are You Ready?..." The title is, I admit, pretty ominous sounding, but the information contained in it is good. You can download a copy at FEMA's website: [http://www.fema.gov/areyouready].

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  8:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for this thread-just dug it up. I'm all about preparedness,and I'm about to get some MJF food to put down in the basement "Just in case!"

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  7:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Seems to me, this is just as important today as it was when the thread began....I've began taking baby steps toward emergency preparedness myself...All the news about China kinda scared me straight!! Thanks ladies!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  7:40:50 PM  Show Profile
You can always check out www.fema.gov for information too. I know we often get a bad rap, but most days we are trying to get folks to just prepare. (I work for our local County EMA office which every County in the US has.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile
We've been doing a bit of storage too. These past couple of winters have really given us problems. We were without power for a week two years ago and this year we lost power a few times too. We just purchased a new generator which will help if it happens again. I have food stored in the basement but honestly I did not think about clothing. I have an emergency medical kit and lots of batteries for our battery operated radio and scanner.

It never hurts to be prepared. Love the ideas here.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Disaster Preparedness Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page