Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 **Our FG Cookbook - UPDATED THIS MORNING**
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic **Our FG Cookbook - UPDATED THIS MORNING** Next Topic
Page: of 5

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Okay folks, here it is. Our Farmgirl Connection Cookbook is underway! The price is still to be exactly nailed down, but I am still aiming for under $10 with a max of $15 which will include postage. The factors which influence this will depend on how big the book becomes and how fancy we get with binding and color, and also how many copies we end up having printed. I want this to be as affordable as possible for everyone.
So...the details.

The book will be divided into the following sections:

APPETIZERS
BEANS & VEGETABLES
BREADS & MUFFINS
CAKES & PIES
DESSERTS, COOKIES & CANDY
EGGS & CHEESE
HOLIDAY FAVORITES
MAIN COURSES
MEATS & MARINADES
PRESERVES & CANNING
SAUCES & DRESSINGS
SOUPS

So get out your favorite recipes and have them included in our cookbook. At this point, I would like to limit it to two (2)submissions per category (at least until we find out just how big this will become)! Email me with your recipes (please don't post them here), including your name, farm name if applicable, and one or two sentences about the recipe like why it's special to you or whatever you would like to say about it.
eg. Apple Cake - submitted by (name and log-in name) of (farm name) in (location). This recipe was handed down by my aunt's sister's cousin's brother and is wonderful served with whipped cream.

Ok, I hope you get the idea of what I'm intending for each recipe page.

** Please, PLEASE double and triple check your submissions for accuracy!

Di

daisyfarm@shaw.ca

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Oct 03 2006 11:06:00 AM

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh this is so cool! I've lost track of this thread (and all MJF threads lately...miss you all!) and was excited to see that this cookbook is really going to happen!

I'll be sending some recipes - what's the deadline for submissions?

Thanks Di!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  11:30:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm excited that this will become a cherished book for everyone. I haven't made a deadline for submissions as I know lots of gals work and are otherwise busy with fall farmchores and getting ready for winter. So I thought I'd give it a couple weeks and see how it goes, maybe when submissions decline to a trickle, decide from there.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  12:53:21 PM  Show Profile
You know I'm in! You should probably set a deadline for submissions we can always extend it later but most of us will probably wait til the last minute!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  12:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a preferance that they be attached as a word doc or anything?

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Either send typed into the email or as a plain text file would be preferred so that I can cut and paste. I'm trying to eliminate the margin of error as much as possible.
So let's set a deadline of September 30th and see how it goes. Sound okay to everyone??

Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful Julie, willowtreecreek, is designing our cover with her art. Doesn't get any better than that!
Di

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  2:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great...I will start getting some recipes together...I love this idea!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  2:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I cannot wait for this!!! I am already gathering!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  5:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Okay I sent an e-mail with a recipe, if there are questions, just e-mail me back and I will clarify.

Thanks.

Anne

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  5:14:50 PM  Show Profile
This is wonderful! Thank you for doing all the leg work! I too will get my recipes together. Again, thank you for organizing this! Is this under MaryJanesFarmgirls, or just from a group from MaryJanes, and has anyone discussed it with her? I'm just wondering? Is this our own? I sure don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Just came in from mowing and working in the garden to make dinner, but am having a coffee break first. I just read two of the most scrumptious sounding recipes in my email...geez, now I'm starving! If all submissions are as good as the ones I just got from Anne and Karen, we are going to have one dynamite cookbook!!
Gloria - we have permission from Mary Jane to use the "Farmgirl Connection" name. This isn't a cookbook that will be sold. It is just a collection of recipes from all the great farm gals here who will all be contributing to the cost of putting it together so they can have a copy.
One thing I wanted to clarify, you can submit up to 2 recipes PER SECTION of the cookbook, not just two total.
Okay, off to make dinner!
Di
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  7:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh wonderful Diane! I just wanted to make sure we didn't offend anyone, and glad to know we have her support! I am too excited about all this! Thank you so much for getting back to post it! Again, I know this is alot of work, and so glad you can do it!

hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  7:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Great idea!! I'll start goin through my recipes ASAP! Thanks for all the organization, Diane!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  8:35:56 PM  Show Profile
OK, I'm ready! This is such a wonderful idea! I'm ready to sign up to buy the cookbooks already! In fact, I'm going to give them for Christmas presents -- either this year if they're ready or next year if they're not.

A tip: One thing my stepmother pointed out to me when my church group put together a cookbook is that a lot of baking recipes omit the pan size and sometimes that makes a difference... So if the recipe is for a 13 x 9 pan, or an 8 x 8 pan, please specify which pan to use. I never would have thought of this on my own, and we did find a lot of recipes submitted that left out that information. Of course some of the ones from the "more experienced" ladies left out measurements too.... LOL

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  9:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if there was a chance for photos to be included in the recipe book? A couple of years I put together a recipe book for my Bunco group. Each person gave me two of their mothers favorite recipes. Along with the recipes they were asked to give me a photo of their mom when she was a young mom and one of themselves when they were about five years old.
It added a personal touch to the book. The have a vintage flair to them.
If anyone is interested I can take a photo of the book and post it.

Thanks for fun idea.
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  9:21:31 PM  Show Profile
I thought of photos Pamela and it would be so nice to include them, but I'm trying to keep the cost of compiling this cookbook down. We could certainly take a vote though, if folks are willing to pay more, I can surely include them. Maybe I'm being too cheap??
Diane
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  04:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Photos would be nice, who is doing the printing? If it's local it maybe cheaper? Fundcraft is a huge cookbook publisher who does it for fundraising, they are the #1 company for local cookbooks all over? Off to hunt up some recipes, such a neat idea! Thanks Diane!!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  01:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh how wonderful!!! I will go through my recipes and send some soon!! What a wonderful thing!! Thank you so much for getting this together!! And of course I want one!! The Sept 30th deadline is fine with me...I am so excited!!!
Hugz!!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  06:06:49 AM  Show Profile
This is so wonderful and I can't wait to get the book. I know it will have the best recipes ever.

Also, I am in the bulk mailing business so contact me with details as to size, weight, where it will be mailed from, etc., and I can probably tell you how to save on postage costs.
Betty

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  6:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I wondered how the recipes are coming? Are you getting a lot? Do you need lots more?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Today I received two people's recipes, yours Brenda and also Kelly's. They are excellent additions to our book.
BUT, you two are the only ones that have contributed since we first posted. C'mon ladies, warm up the typing fingers and get your contributions in!

Di

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  04:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder, I've been so busy lately, but will get some in today!

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  05:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Count me in, I will send my favorite recipes as soon as I can. What a great idea!

Thanks to all who are organizing this and doing the hard work...the final product is going to be awesome.

One suggestion; might we ask MaryJane Butters to write a short preface, or opening page, for the cookbook since she is the root of this Farmgirl Connection? And, Queen Bee, you could include your own recipe(s) as well!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  08:08:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm still collecting mine! Trying to get the line art done for the cover and the dividers plus all my other "real life" stuff that has to get done too!

What is the page size for the book so I can get my art to you in the appropriate size?

The Cover is looking SOOOO cute! I can't wait to finsih and post

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane has said a big farmgirl YES to the suggestion of the preface and including some recipes - what a great idea, Jo!

Julie - I just can't wait to see the artwork - WOW you gals are incredible organizers and "do-ers" - I'm just so excited!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic **Our FG Cookbook - UPDATED THIS MORNING** Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page