Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 e/book readers vs traditional books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic e/book readers vs traditional books Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  10:35:06 PM  Show Profile
My hubby wants to get me a e/book reader (Kindle, Nook etc.) because I would be able to adjust the print size but I like the feel of a traditional book in my hands. I like reading just about everywhere I go and especially at the beach. I am also notorious for misplacing or loosing my stuff (keys, sunglasses and such) If I loose a paperback book I am only out the few dollars it cost to buy the book. If I lost a e/book reader I would feel sick. There's also something I feel when I see just how far I have read and how far I have to go to the end by the thickness of pages afore and aft of my bookmarker. What do you gals think?

Oil all the wheels on your wagon, not just the sqeaky one. - "A Cowgirl's Guide to Life"

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  06:02:22 AM  Show Profile
I am all about real books. I love the look, the feel and even the smell of them. I'd rather have a page to turn than to slide my finger across a screen. I have the Kindle app on my ipod, and I have used it for downloading free books and have read from it while sitting in the car waiting when I *gasp* forgot to bring a book ;) I don't have desire to go digital with my reading, and I feel bad for future generations that will not have the joy of an actual library building to visit.

That being said, I have heard of plenty of people who said they preferred books that ended up going digital and loving it.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  06:14:42 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,
I wrote a blog entry on paper books vs. e-readers back in October. It got many comments in the comments section, with lots of opinions. If you'd like, check it out here: http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=63

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile
I too had a "thing" for the feel of a book, however, I LOVE my kindle and can't imagine not having it. Only problem is... I don't have time to read all the free books I've downloaded.

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

cheeselady
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

michele
waxhaw NC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  10:53:52 AM  Show Profile
My daughter has been an avid reader since she learned to read. She was an English major in college. She always said that she would never get a kindle. Then she thought maybe it would be fun to have for travel. I bought her one for Christmas and she LOVES it.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  11:32:43 AM  Show Profile
I was dead set agianst the whole ebook thing. I was a purist and noone would change my mind. I was loud about it and I made sure everyone knew how horrible the thought of an ebook was to me.

Then my sweet Hubby brought one home for me and was so proud of himself for thinkin of me durin a really hard time in our lives recently.

I simply couldn't hurt his feelins and he had even preloaded it with a few books about urban farmin and gardenin in small places. He was especially proud of rememberin that I wanted to read The Help and had both the book and the movie on it.

I began readin The Help, just to appease him, and I quickly fell in love with it. I had lightened the page up and increased the print a bit and I was in love!

I now read it every day and I take it everywhere with me. I still have my "Hard Copy" books, and I still buy them, but I do alot of readin, watchin movies, and makin my lists and notes on my wonderful Kindle.

I say get one, and if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days if it's from walmart. That's where mine came from.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

OakRoseMama
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Christine
Kempner Texas
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  12:32:05 PM  Show Profile
My husband also got me one as a gift so I couldn't refuse it. I like it and use it, but I still read traditional books, its just another format. Why not try it out? It doesn't mean you have to swear off all regular books, its just another way to read them sometimes. It is very good for travel since its very light and you can take many many books with you so you don't get bored without all the weight! I have a basic kindle, not one of the color ones.

Merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again
Farmgirl sister #4010
http://oakrosemama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  3:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I bought one for everyone in my family this past Christmas and they all love them! I didn't get one because I can use my Iphone as an ereader but I have been thinking of it. My hubby didn't want a colored one but the one that you can look up references while reading. He has it going with one book while reading a normal book all the time and loves his too.

I want to tell you what I did for my daughter's. Instead of a normal case to protect it, I made one taking one of her old Nancy Drew books, taking the "book" out of it, lining the hardcover and backcover with foam, then soft flannel and I put a backing board on top of that on the backcover which also had flannel on it and on each corner it had elastic glued under it/over it so you can put each corner of the Kindle into the elastic to hold it in place. I then put velcro on the back going to the front to close it when you aren't reading it. That way it feels like a book, looks like a book, but it's a Kindle and it's protected. She's 28 and loves it! You may be able to buy a case like this on Etsy. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Nancy...like most of these gals, I was an advid fan of Real Books. But several things changed my mind. #1 moving both my husbands and my personal libraries too many times!!!! #2 I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis...which began causing me not to be able to hold a hard-cover book or even some larger paperbacks. My DH bought me my first Kindle about 4 yrs ago, The Kindle 2. It was the answer to both those problems. I was able to get rid of 3 large book cases of books I had collected and my husband got rid of 2 book cases full. Then when the Kindle 3 came out my husband got me that one and I sold my first one. The #3 was much much lighter and easier yet for me to hold.
Then this past Christmas my Son bought me the Kindle Fire and now, I can read, do my email, do my MJF stuff, listen to music and watch Movies and Tv shows on it. It is soooooooooo Awesome.
I Love Love Love My Kindle Fire....but I also kept my Kindle 3 because it is still the lightest Kindle for reading in bed at night. ~ I am 60 yrs old and feel pretty electronic sauvy. And I love being able to carry my Kindle in my purse everywhere I go. If you keep it in your purse too...you aren't going to lose it unless someone steals your purse. LOL (Heaven forbid!)

I highly recommend the Kindle...I have literally tried all the other ones available for light-weightness and speed. Kindle ranks the best in my opinion. Hope this little bit of info helps. I still keep coffee-table books, cook-books and gardening and craft books in my home...but everything else is now conviently stored in The Cloud.

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 21 2012 6:58:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  8:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies,
I do have to agree, when we retire and move the thought of packing up my books and moving them is a little scary. I can't say I am e/savy at all so maybe it's just the e/thing in general.
Our 25th is coming up on Monday and Hubby said he wants to take me "shopping". The event itself is a treat because he hates "shopping" and especially shopping with me because I have to see and touch everything. Now I am a little excited. Thanks again for sharing.

Oil all the wheels on your wagon, not just the sqeaky one. - "A Cowgirl's Guide to Life"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  9:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Still love books, but love my nook. I love the most that I can read and knit at the same time much easier than with a real book. handy to be able to carry alot of books in the space of one book too. I would hate to give it up now. I get more reading and knitting both done!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Debra B
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Debra
Thaxton VA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  03:40:01 AM  Show Profile
I use my husband's Kindle sometimes. I do love downloading free books! However the way I read a book is so non-linear that the Kindle drives me nuts. I skip ahead, I go back, I flip through the book to see when my favorite character comes up again. I read the last chapter about a third of the way in the book to see if I like the way it ends. An e-reader is like a scroll. If you read like that it's great! Joe tells me all about bookmarking things so I can read the way I'm used to and the search function, but I'd just as soon flip through a book.

Debra

Homeschooling mom to 6 beautiful blessings
Pastor Joe's wife
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  06:45:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the feel of handling a good book. It feels more personable to me..It's Mine lol. No seriously, if we don't support purchasing books this will be another thing that won't be availabe in the future. That's sad to me.

Friends are the Flowers in the Garden of Life
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile
I am another that love the feel of books in my hands. However, my mother bought me a kindle back last spring and I loved it. I then got a kindle fire and love it. I really think there is a place for both. I know of some country living/homesteading books that I just wouldn't want on my kindle fire and then there are some classics that I might miss reading if it weren't for getting them free for my kindle. So I say both are great in there own way.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  10:22:44 AM  Show Profile
Nancy...be sure and share with us...what you end up doing.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile
For YEARS I said I would never own a Kindle. I thought it just wouldn't be the same as feeling a book in your hands and the smell of a good book, but last Christmas DH bought me a Kindle and I LOVE it!

So now, I use my Kindle and I still read traditional books...I'll never give that up!

Currently, I have well over 1,000 books in various stacks in our home and I still go through thrift store stacks and buy good used books,I do love a good deal on hardbacks-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofmygardens
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

mn
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile
i read a ton.. and usually 3 books and a kindle all at the same time. i have a borrowed kindle and i really like it. not for al the time but for traveling- it's nice- saves room or if its a huge heavy book- its also nice. i like that it has so much memory on kindle so if you are studying, you can have several books all at once instead of hauling them all over. i belong to the swap.com club and i trade my books once i am done readying them- for postage only- no one can sell them. its a sweet way to get a lot of reading for a good price, especially if you live in the boondocks like i do. u can print the label from home and its cheaper then 1st class as its media mail. I've gotten rid of a lot of books and dvd's i no longer want and i can donate to schools also.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  05:02:22 AM  Show Profile
I also love to read. I have tons of books here and I download pdf files like mad (yes I'm an addict :D) Recently I started taking some online herbal courses that have videos, audio and pdf material. I don't like sitting in front of the computer all of the time so I decided to try the Kindle Fire. I am soooooooo in love with this!! I can download my stuff and read it or watch videos at work during my lunch break. I've been playing with the apps and have actually found some quite useful ones so that is a plus. Granted it is not the exact same as reading a book but it is very nice and easy to use. With the cover that I have for mine, it is like opening a book to get to the pages. I won't give up my real books for anything though, I still buy them and always will, but the kindle is an awesome ereader and has made my studies a whole lot easier.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  09:43:52 AM  Show Profile
I had a ebook (from Filament book club)about 6 years ago.
I was traveling a lot for work back then and thought was a easy way to carry a few books a long.
The first trip that we were on the tarmac for 3 hours and no electronic devices could be on...kinda of tore it for me.
If I'd have had an "old Fashioned" paper book I could have read two on that trip.
Being I don't go much anymore, it might be a ok thing, but just haven't been able to swing the funds to buy a newer unit.
Besides Paperback swap has become a great way to get and trade books.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  10:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Karen...you can use your e-reader on the plane IF you don't have your 4-g on, or whispernet. If you have
downloaded your book already and are reading it...then you have no need to have the inter-net on. I know
you can do this because I have done it on flights to Michigan. Just thought I would let you know that for
future use.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  2:36:16 PM  Show Profile
So, after much debate on the subject here, (and my opinion leaned toward books), my brother, a big E-reader fan, bought me an e-reader as a gift for my birthday I love it!!! I probably wouldn't have ever bought one for myself, but I do love it. It was great on the plane, I love the magazines I can get, and it's portable. I love reading it at night, keeps me from keeping hubby up with the light. I carry it around and can whip it out if I find myself waiting in line somewhere. That being said, I still love, love, love, "traditional" magazines as well as books. Both have a place in my heart. There's nothing like an autographed book, or a beautiful paper magazine in the mail, but the e-reader is convenient, lightweight, and has me reading more than ever.

Hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  5:36:54 PM  Show Profile
"Karen...you can use your e-reader on the plane IF you don't have your 4-g on, or whispernet. If you have
downloaded your book already and are reading it...then you have no need to have the inter-net on. I know
you can do this because I have done it on flights to Michigan. Just thought I would let you know that for
future use."

Thanks for the info, at time they would always make me shut it off...period!

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  07:55:34 AM  Show Profile
I love reading and the feel and smell of a real book. Once read, I love to use them as decor and to pick them up and read the last chapter. It reminds me of the plot and I relive the book again and again.

Throughout my thirty year marriage, we have struggled with the Early Bird/Night Owl issue. He is the bird and I am the owl. Therefore my reading at night causes him great distress. The solution has been a Kindle. The light on the cover is bright enough for me to read myself to sleep. It does not glare on him, so he is able to sleep without interruption.

I call that the best of both worlds. Good old books during the day and Kindle at night. I can now read around the clock.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  1:00:11 PM  Show Profile
All your comments make me think of texting. I always thought it was an impersonable, terrible way to communicate and I refused to join the bandwagon. Then, last February I bought a new cell phone with unlimited texting, and guess what? I'm addicted. I haven't gone the e-book route yet, I'm afraid to. Also, you can't buy e-books at a garage sale, which is one of life's little pleasures!

www.lovegivenaway.blogspot.com

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  05:39:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,

Found this thread and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I'm a reader and a librarian. Like many of you I thought I would not enjoy the ereader because nothing can replace the feel of holding a real book in your hands and that is still true. Given the choice, I would still opt for a book over my ereader. But, things are a changing, so to speak and it's good to move forward and welcome it because it's not going away. We are going to be introducing 2 nook colors into our library f or circulation and I have many patrons who have expressed a real desire to get their hands on the ereaders. I have also had many of my patrons come in asking for help on how to use their readers, mostly the Kindles. In case some of you don't know, many library systems have ebooks available on their websites through Overdrive that you can "borrow" on your ereaders. If you don't know how to do it just go to your local library and hopefully they will be able to help you. I say hopefully only because there are still libraries who have not gotten on the band wagon of using ereaders, which is sad and a disservice to their patrons.

That being said, I personally have and iPad, which I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I've downloaded the nook and Kindle apps. onto it so I have them all if I choose to use them. Again, I personally find the Kindles a pain to use. This is also why I have so many of my patrons coming in and asking for help with their Kindles because with a nook you can go to B&N and someone their will help you on the spot. With the Kindles you're on your own, which is why I end up having to instruct on the Kindles. I know many people love their Kindles, this is just my own opinion of them. When someone asks me which ereader is better I just simply tell them I have an iPad and it doesn't get any better than that

As far as books vs. ereaders, you don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can enjoy both without feeling you're choosing sides. I don't believe that books will ever disappear, no matter what the nay sayers may say. People love them to much! I do like then connivence of the iPad when I travel and having books and magazines to read along with my internet, and not having to carry so many books, especially with all the weight limitations these days.

Happy Reading to all no matter which form you use!!!

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

"The time is when a library is a school, and the librarian is in the highest sense a teacher, and the visitor is a reader among the books as a workman among his tools." ~Melvil Dewey

Go to Top of Page

ladylouise
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Donna
Marietta PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  07:10:39 AM  Show Profile
I bought a Nook Color a year ago. My thought was to be able to have a selection of reading material along when I substitute teach--nothing worse than overseeing classrooms full of chemistry students doing worksheets and finishing your book at 10 am! Unfortunately, the sub service through which I get most of my jobs has banned e-readers! (grumble) Still, while I still do buy and borrow print books, I love being able to carry around a library with me. Also, I am trying to cut back on "stuff" so I welcome having reading material without piles of paper. Finally, there are a lot of free long-out-of-print books out there on Project Gutenberg and other sites. Oh wait--I can also put knitting patterns on it.

So many books! So little time!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Book Ideas: Previous Topic e/book readers vs traditional books Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page