Page: of 4

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  7:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
I have used plain ole alcohol for two days now and I have been assembling a bookshelf and working in my garden, sweating all the time. No odor at all. Thanks to whoever made that suggestion. It is economic too.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  7:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
This is my tenth day of just using alcohol on my armpits after I shower and it works great. No odor at all.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile
I going to try the alcohol sounds simple and I hate to be stinky.LOL
blessings deborah

Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings! ~Author Unknown

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Terri for trying this too, I was wondering if it was just me that maybe it was working on. I'm glad you like it. It is soooo inexpesive, and it has been working. It literally keeps me dry all day long. :)

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile
I tried the alcohol and wow is really does work..no more stinky pits..this is great.
thanks

Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings! ~Author Unknown

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  09:59:46 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I should say that the only benefit I got from cancer was losing all my bodily hair. My hair grew back in most places, except my armpits. I don't seem to perspire and therefore I don't use deodorant all the time, just when I get out of the shower.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  12:30:34 PM  Show Profile
I found a link: http://greenupgrader.com/14021/greenwash-alert-arm-and-hammer-essentials-natural-deodorant/ that shows some bad things about Tom's 24 hour deo and my favorite Arm and Hammer. Just made some cocoa butter/coconut oil baking soda/cornstarch/ EO deo. I am about to go add a couple of acidophilis tablets since I have them, and don't have the probiotics on hand.

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  11:07:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to make a cocoa butter, beeswax, coconut oil with kaolin clay deoderant with some lavender oil. I'll let you know how it works out.

STYX the Band rocks!

Food for thought, no farm no food.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  7:10:19 PM  Show Profile
I have used just baking soda for years. Just a dab under each arm keeps my from being smelly. Very inexpensive too. Glad to know about the alcohol just in case I need it in a pinch.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile
What kind of alcohol do you use?? Maybe I could convince DH to try that since he's not into my homemade stuff!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/curlysquilts

I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  11:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, just plain old isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol from the drug store. You can also use cheap vodka, which has no scent.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  12:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Mara for answering that question. I had to
laugh at the vodka tho. If I choose that I don't think
I would tell anyone!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  12:18:07 PM  Show Profile
And you just rub it on after your shower? Hmm...maybe I can convince him to try it on vacation. Yeah!

Curly's Quilts
My website:
www.curlysquilts.weebly.com
My Etsy shop:
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
My Farmmade shop:
http://www.farmmade.com/curlysquilts

I am a recyclin, home schoolin', home grown, hand sewn kinda farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  8:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Tara, did you get a chance to try that recipe out? Just wondering how it worked with the clay. I'm still trying which recipe to try.
Jo

Farmgirl

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile
So I gave the alcohol a try. It didn't keep me from being wet but did keep me from being stinky. The baking soda seems to keep me drier and odor free since baking soda is a natural deodorizer anyway.
I remember when I first started trying out the baking soda I forgot to use anything before heading to work one morning. I stopped at a little store across from where I worked and bought a small box and put it on when I got there. I stuck it in the fridge and no one was the wiser. If anyone noticed it they probably figured it was in there to keep the fridge from smelling.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

jaimeyleigh
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Jaimey
Draper UT
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  7:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Send jaimeyleigh a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary,
I love your recipe. Thanks for sharing it!!
Jaimeyleigh
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Here's a recipe my whole family including DH loves.

This is a fast, easy and healthy alternative to the store bought stuff that has aluminum and parabens in it and have been linked to cancer. This one recipes lasts easily one month. All the ingredients I had on hand from all other homemade products, maybe you will too. Takes about one minute to make.

Recipe:
1/2 Teaspoon Zinc Oxide
8 Teaspoons Witch Hazel
1 1/2 Teaspoons Aloe Vera concentrate
1/8 Teaspoon (or about 10 drops) Essential Oil of your choice below
Eucalyptus, Lavender, Rose Geranium or Bergamot.

Mix all ingredients together in a finger spray bottle and shake before using. Try to use in a month or so, after that it looses its effectiveness.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  06:48:27 AM  Show Profile
To those of you using straight alcohol -- Do you find that it discolors your clothes? Just wondering. I have been using the Tom's Natural without aluminum and while it doesn't keep me dry, it does deodorize. It's pretty spendy, though, and alcohol would be cheap!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Terri, thanks for the chuckle! At least you have an idea as to what makes you sweat! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

cyndieparz72
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Cyndie
Port Vue PA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  11:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I know that this is ridiculously late for this topic (by almost 2 years!), but I have tried pretty much every natural option on the market, and found that the best natural deodorant that I have ever purchased, by far, is Schmidt's. It is 100% natural, comes in a glass jar with a little spatula and in multiple scents (Bergamot & Lime; Lavender & Sage and Rose and Vanilla are the 3 I use faithfully) and one jar lasts me for 3 or more months for $8.99. I also have added my own additional step that pretty much gives the protection of antiperspirant without any chemicals because I started into menopause at 40 and can never tell how much I will sweat! I also mix a batch of my "special powder" - Organic Arrowroot powder, Organic Cornstarch and zinc oxide powder (all 3 combined cost about an additional $10.00 but lasts for about 2 years and can be used in place of baby powder or any other body powder . . . .and can be scented with essential oils if desired). After applying Schmidt's, I take a powderpuff and and apply it over top of the Schmidt's. It has held up in up to 85/90 degree heat with humidity - no odor and very little to no wetness. Of course, with the powder, you may have to dust off dark colored clothing, but it comes right off. Also, you can put the powder on right after applying - no "paste" or stickiness, because the Schmidt's feels more like moisturizer than anything else, even though it is a thicker consistency (think cocoa butter). I also found that once a week, I take organic cotton balls and give my underarms a few quick swipes with Organic Witch Hazel as a "detox". I was a devotee to clinical strength antiperspirant until I found Schmidt's and then I upped the protection for my own preference with my own concoction. Schmidt's is Leaping Bunny and PETA certified company and is 100% Vegan, which is extremely important to me. I also like that they don't use a lot of baking soda, which can be extremely irritating, and not really needed.
Again, sorry so late, but I just joined and am checking out all of the boards! :-)

Sister #7407 “I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” Hippolyte Taine
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I was curious about using the oils under your arms. I am afraid it will leave oily residue/stains on clothing. I think you only use a small amount but someone mentioned their husband using it and loving it too. It seems like a guy would use a bit more with their hairy pits and all. Has oil staining been an issue for anyone? Thanks :)

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile
I found a company that uses all natural ingredients in their deodorants. The company name is LaVanilla. It's based in New Jersey. So far I have no complaints except a little pricey.

A Life Without a Friend, Is a Life Without Sun
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  3:35:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by abbysshadow

SNIPPED
Has oil staining been an issue for anyone? Thanks :)

I've been using my homemade coconut oil-based deodorant for years and have never noticed any staining. I know, it's surprising! I've had worse trouble with store-bought stuff.
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  4:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I am nearly out of the store bought deodorant. I plan on making my own this week. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I did not realize how toxic the everyday things that we use are. I plan on making my own as each thing gets used.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Deodorant Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page