Page: of 4

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Lorie, I sympathize. I used to have a job like that. I used dress shields.

I have to say, though, that even though my homemade deodorant isn't an antiperspirant, I don't notice a problem, I really don't. Everyone's different, though.
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  2:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenn. My grandmother used lemon for so much. After working with them, she would rub the juice into her hands, too. Wonder if it helped with age spots? It does seem to make them smooth. I do love baking soda and vinegar.

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  3:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Just made a fresh batch of deodorant. This time, I put in way more baking soda and arrowroot powder, because the "winter recipe" gets way too liquid in our hot weather. The ratio is 3 T coconut oil to 1T of that Palmers cocoa butter cream that I've described elsewhere, 3 T baking soda, 2T arrowroot, and about 20 drips of Lemongrass EO. This makes a firmer cream. We'll see how it holds up. Next, I'll see if I can get away with eliminating the Palmers cocoa butter, because lovely as it is, it isn't 100% pure cocoa butter :(
Go to Top of Page

Jen Mackey
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jennifer
Hollansburg Ohio
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  4:02:15 PM  Show Profile
I am now making my own deodorant. I love it! I will never buy deodorant from a store again. At first, everyone in my family thought I was crazy, but now, (after many days of a heat wave), my family knows it really works.

Homespun Hospitality
Farmgirl #4218
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  09:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the "summer time" deodorant mix. I will be trying these as soon as I run out of the toms that I have.
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  11:36:58 AM  Show Profile
this is so funny. I recently purchased organic coconut oil, will have to try it

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  6:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Curious: why lemongrass EO instead of Tea Tree?

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  8:20:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JoyIowa

Curious: why lemongrass EO instead of Tea Tree?

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

I just like the fragrance of lemongrass. I find tea tree EO to be overpowering.
Go to Top of Page

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  8:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Did anybody know that you can use your old deodorant contaners for home make deodorant? You just wash the contaner and fill it with your home made deodorant that contanes coconut oil and put it in the freaser for a few hours. Coconut oil becomes solid when exposed to cold. After that it shoud remain solid at room tempiture. If it gets slopy just but it back in the freaser untill fall.
Go to Top of Page

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  8:56:31 PM  Show Profile
For those of you that use viniger hear is a recipe for "rose water" that my mother (an herbalist) showed me in high school.

Take rose peatls (home grown is best) and fill a wide mouthed jar
Fill jar with viniger (any type) and put the lid on the jar
Place jar in a cool dry spot for a few months (the longer it sits the better)
Strane the "rose water" into a spray bottle and enjoy

It will still smell like viniger when you spray it on. After an hour or so you will be left with this wonderful light rose smell.
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  05:28:46 AM  Show Profile
We Ladies...here we go, I made Rosemary's summer receipe, and I'm giving it a try today. I will confess that I put my old deo in my purse, just incase. I cannot have a case of the stinks at work. I have already gotten rid of my facewashes and shampoo, this is the next step in the master plan of going chemical free. I let you know how it goes!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  05:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Did y'all see MaryJane's pin on Pinterest about the probiotic deoderant?

http://www.mountainwomanjournals.com/?p=121

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  08:10:52 AM  Show Profile
It works! No problems! I think I'm sold!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  2:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Shanda! Spread the good word :)
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  2:07:23 PM  Show Profile
If you aren't already following well mama blog, you all may be interested. Kate has some really interesting and helpful tips and recipes on there.

Malena
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Shanda, do you have the recipes for the face wash and shampoo. That would be great.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  06:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Malena is right.. the Wellness Mama has a wonderful and easy recipe for natural deodorant. Healthy Homemade Deodorant

3 T Coconut Oil
3 T Baking Soda
2 T Shea Butter
2 T Arrowroot (optional)
Essential Oils (optional)

1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat until barely melted. UPDATE: Combine in a quart size glass mason jar with a lid instead and place this in a small saucepan of water until melted. This will save your bowl and you can just designate this jar for these type of projects and not even need to wash it out...

2. Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot (If you don’t have arrowroot, use more baking soda)

3. Mix well.

4. Add essential oils and pour into a glass container for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge.

5. If you prefer, you can let it cool completely and put into an old deodorant stick for easier use, though it may melt in the summer!

If you don’t have all those ingredients around, or don’t want to wash a double boiler, this recipe is faster and easier:

6 T coconut oil
1/4 cup (4 T) baking soda
1/4 cup (4 T) arrowroot or cornstarch
essential oils (optional)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together in a medium sized bowl.

2. Mash in coconut oil with a fork until well mixed.

3. Add oils if desired.

4. Store in small glass jar or old deodorant container for easy use.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  11:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Just to let you ladies know.. I made the homemade deodorant (2nd recipe). I must say I am quite impressed. Though it did not keep me from sweating, it did keep me smelling nice. I do believe that I will stick to this and stop buying the store bought kind.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  09:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Julie! I'm never going back.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I just came across this deodorant powder.... http://www.lisaclarke.net/2010/02/23/body-powder-gift-set/ it sounds very interesting. I may have to try this too.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  02:18:29 AM  Show Profile
I have been useing Toms for years too, then a friend made some for me. Very nice. Then got a tip from another friend, just wipe underarms with a cotton ball with alcohol on it. It realy works for me. I pretty much stay dry all day after that.

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

Simply Silly
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Amy
Woodbine Georgia
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  1:12:18 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been using the Coconut oil recipe since May 2012 and will not return to store bought - we love - love - love it. The homemade deodorant works better than any store bought and lasts all day and night. The essential oils we use are Tea Tree and rosemary. I add more arrowroot to thicken the deodorant in a jelly jar with a regular lid which helps it to stay solid.
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by garyw965

Who doesn't stink after doing yard work or exercising?? Great recipes, can't wait to try them.

Hi Gary, I am in Hemet too. Nice to meet you.
Terri
HemetGardener
Farmgirl # 4720
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I tried the deo with the arrowroot and I must have an issue with that particular ingredient because my pit got so raw, red and nasty looking and super painful. Went away after I stopped using it--which sucked because I ended up throwing all that I made out (which wasn't a whole lot but I don't like to waste anything). I may try again but without the arrowroot powder. One day I left home and forgot to put some deo on until I got to my office and felt weird, then it hit me. I was about to panic over what to do (can't stand the idea of being smelly) then it hit me...arm pits are similar to groins in that they are closed up and can get moist so I got one of our many samples of baby butt cream to use and it worked exceptionally well. I've actually been considering trying it again sometime.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  2:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
This morning I tried alcohol (isopropyl) on one armpit and a more natural Mitchum's on the other and went to church, which always makes me sweat anyway. There were no complaints, but if I did stink, they would forgive me.

I am still going to try the natural recipes here on the thread and I ordered some from the Lush website. I will keep you posted. Don't worry, I live in CA, you won't smell me.
Stinky Hugs,
Terri
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Deodorant Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page