Primitive DIVA
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Melissa
Montgomery Texas
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  5:49:14 PM  Show Profile
I use tea tree oil, lavender and baking soda, works GREAT! With a cotton ball, dab a drop or two of the essential oils then follow with baking soda. Works better than the salt crystal (keeps your drier. Have been using this method for a couple of years----and I am in sweaty, hot Houston climate!

New Sister #4088
Montgomery, Texas Chapter Leader
I threw off my high heels to move to our dream 10acre Texas homestead. Goats, Chickens, Garden and Orchard and more!My current LOVE is making fermented and cultured foods/beverages.
www.healthylivingwithmelissa.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Valkyrie922
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  10:14:19 PM  Show Profile
I use isopropyl alcohol. I just put apply it with a cotton ball after my shower and I'm good to go. No residue, no fuss at all, and the smell goes away quickly. Also, it really doesn't sting except right after I shave, and even then it's not bad. Could be if I cut myself though I guess!
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  09:12:36 AM  Show Profile
Funny because I make my own salad dressing and I use cider vinegar, now I have another use for it a deodorant, cool.
Go to Top of Page

jeanb
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Jean
Tollhouse CA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile
This is just what I was looking for homemade recipes. You girls are great. Gonna try them. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  06:07:37 AM  Show Profile
I use Tom's of Maine. Also a good idea not to use talc either for the same reasons.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 28 2012 06:08:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  10:28:24 AM  Show Profile
I tried using Tom's deodorants once, but I realized I was purchasing plastic containers (in cardboard boxes) that I couldn't re-use, and I really didn't think the product was that effective. Recently, I re-read the ingredients on a box at my grocery store and was appalled. Don't try to find the exact ingredients of any one of their products on their website, because they bury everything they use in all products in an A-Z list that just make your eyes glaze over. I don't know how they get away with claiming to be so safe and natural. And the price! Wow. I hope you'll try one of the do-it-yourself ideas posted here and see what you think. I honestly love -- LOVE -- my homemade deodorant. I can refill my pretty glass jar with new batches indefinitely for pennies and it not only works very well, but smells lovely and helps me keep my nails nice :) What's not to love about that?

Edited by - Rosemary on Apr 28 2012 10:29:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  3:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I have used just baking soda in the past, works as well as anything. And it is a natural deodorant. It won;t keep you from perspiring but it won't smell either.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  08:01:10 AM  Show Profile
Denise, just curious, do you make a paste from the baking soda or apply directly. It doesn't seem like it would stay without some moisture.
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  09:52:00 AM  Show Profile
These are some neat ides on how to make your own deodorants. Saves you money. Plus you don't have to worry about chemicals.
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:42:54 AM  Show Profile
Good question Shauna, hoping to hear a reply soon.
Go to Top of Page

Squirt4312
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Rebecca
Mount Vernon IL
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  5:23:35 PM  Show Profile
I am so gonna try these recipes! My husband can't use anything with the aluminum in it or he gets a know under his arm!
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  06:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Amy, have you tried the recipe with out the cornstarch yet? Just wondering if it turned out okay. You know the alternative is Arrowroot?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  12:31:10 PM  Show Profile
I broke down ond bought a big bag of arrowroot powder at the health food store. It was $7.00 +, so a lot more expensive than corn starch for use in our homemade deodorant, but it will probably last forever. As someone mentioned earlier, corn starch can feed bacteria. Arrowroot is a more expensive, but safer, substitute. Will be whipping up a new batch with it tonight. I've won so many converts to this recipe (1/4 cup cocoa butter, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 2 T baking soda, 2 T corn starch/arrowroot, 8 drops essential oil (lemon grass is lovely and sorta unisex). Melt the cocoa butter & coconut oil on the stove or in a microwave, cool slightly, mix in the dry stuff, add essential oil, let solidify, stir again and put in jars.

Anybody know what else arrowroot powder can be used for?
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  4:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rosemary and Farmgirl Sisters,
To answer your question:
Arrowroot is an excellent thickening agent and can be used in lieu of flour and cornstarch. It is neutral in flavor and produces soups, sauces, pie fillings and puddings that are clear and sparkling with none of the heaviness of other starches. According to my Women's Day encyclopedia of cookery Arrowroot is easily digested and so can be used in invalid cookery. Victorian cookbooks and those recipes from Great Britain will feature its use more. In cooking with arrowroot it mentions that the delicate texture allows it to cook at a lower temperature and for a shorter period of time than other starches, so simmer a gravy on low and it will thicken quickly. It is thus also ideally suited for sauces and custards containing eggs which must not boil or are heat sensitive. As a thickening agent substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot for 1 Tablespoon flour.
Best to you in your use. I agree with you that if your are going to make a superior deodorant and can afford to upgrade to arrowroot it is a good step.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  4:34:13 PM  Show Profile
Annie, thanks for all this info! I seem to remember that there used to be arrowroot toast on the market for teething babies. That makes sense if it's more easily digested.
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  07:08:42 AM  Show Profile
Still curious as to whether or not to add water to the baking soda.
Go to Top of Page

Peggy ann
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

peggy
falling waters wv
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile
wish I could use the natural stuff, tried 2 different kind and neither one worked.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  10:11:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shauna

Still curious as to whether or not to add water to the baking soda.

My grandma used to make a paste of baking soda and water, but I always thought that was messy and unnecessary . If you don't want to make your own deodorant cream, I would just pat on plain baking soda, maybe while your underarms are still damp after showering. But the cream version is wonderful. You really should try it!

Your manners will define you wherever you go. Never forget it.
Go to Top of Page

Bornagainfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jenn
MT
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  2:29:54 PM  Show Profile
A long time ago I read of a lady that made the following deoderant. I do not know who she was, but I would like to Thank her! Here it is:

1/4 c. arrowroot powder (found in bulk food section of my grocery store)
a little less than 1/4c. baking soda (sometimes this needs to be adjusted slightly. Too much baking soda, I have found out, can chaff a little)
3-4 Tblsp. of organic coconut oil
Mix together (almost need to 'mix' it like making a pie crust). The consistancy is like a thick frosting. Store in a lidded container.
Does get more liquid-like in hot weather so try to keep it in a cooler place in the summer.
I sometimes add a few drops of my favorite essential oil too. To use just scoop it a tiny amount out with fingertips and apply. I have never had a problem with it 'failing' (as in stinking), and I am a very active person.

I have suffered for years with very sensitive underarms and use to get frequent, and painful sores and infections if I used any other deoderant, etc. But with this recipe, I have never had an issue. Plus it is all natural, heck- all the ingredients are edible (I don't think it would taste good though!!).

I love to wander country roads.

Edited by - Bornagainfarmgirl on Jul 13 2012 2:40:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  3:41:14 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad that this topic is here. There are two things that I have trouble finding "organic" and "natural" that work--deodorant and toilet cleaners. In the winter, I often use the Crystal, or Nature De France Le Stick deodorant. But when it gets warm I plain can't stand myself (and, it's not just the underarms!) and my dd has told me that I need a shower usually by lunch time. So...I did find that Arm and Hammer does not have any aluminums and so far it works REALLY well. I use scented, because I love scent. However, I might have to give it up if it makes me itch. Surprisingly, I don't think that most fragrances make me itch. Deodorants always make me itch, but not the alluminum free ones.

Seriously, do you drink the cider vinegar? I take it to reduce allergies. It really works that way, too.

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile
Don't laugh, but one of the girls in my Crossfit box wanted to be totally organic and natural and swears by virgin coconut oil under her arm pits as deodorant. She says you only need a little bit but it works. I haven't tried it...LoL. Good luck!

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  11:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Lorie, not laughing at all! :) Coconut oil is the base for the homemade deodorant a lot of us use here. Are you making your own, too?
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mara! I'm not making my own deodorant yet...lol! It's all I can do to teach myself how to can, I wish I had someone close by to learn from. It's trial and error right now. Any Tampa Florida sisters out there that can...HELP!

Lorie

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  2:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa (showthemlove),
I use baking soda to clean my toilet and then at the end of scrubbing, I also put in some white vinegar which gives it a little 'kick'. Actually, I am down to cleaning almost everything with these two ingredients, and love it! For a whitener for my countertops. I do the following: buy lemons- make lemonade- then quarter the left over rinds and scrub my countertops with the rinds and a little baking soda (sometimes I leave it on for a while if there is a really stubborn stain)- rinse- and then sit back and drink lemonade!!!

.....getting back to my roots again.....
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  04:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Annette, thanks for the link. I'm guessing after reading the link info that one would still perspire with this product and show wet marks. This would be a problem for me living in Florida. No issues out and around the house but I'm an executive at work and have to dress the part when I'm in the office. Wet silk blouses would look terrible and give such a bad impression at a board meeting...LoL. Any suggestions?

Lorie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Deodorant Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page