katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  7:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Cold, drizzly day today so I made Chicken-n-dumplins.... yummers!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2019 :  03:52:36 AM  Show Profile
sesame shrimp stir-fry for dinner last night. YUMMY! Still have some shrimp left so some kind of shrimp stir-fry for tonight. Just depends on what I have in the frig to throw in there

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  07:49:00 AM  Show Profile
It's 45 this morning so it's "clean out the fridge soup". It's simmering away on the stove with a little of this and a little of that. Should be ready in a couple of hours.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  11:19:28 AM  Show Profile
I would love a pot of soup today -- I never get tired of soup, but we've been living on lentil soup then chili the past week so I think I'd better make a "real meal" or DH will revolt. We have a freezer full of venison and wild hog so I'd better use some of that up before he goes hunting agin next month.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I've had wild hog once. A farmer I knew killed a couple when they got into his wheat field. He Bar-B-Q the ribs and I remember they were leaner than domestic hogs. Each year wild hogs are coming nearer to my sister's farm. They are a real problem here in Texas and do a lot of $$$$ damage to crops.

Venison chili is good but haven't had it in years.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  11:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Sara -- DH goes hunting in Texas every year. He has lots of family there. The first year he brought home wild hog I was hesitant to eat it -- I was afraid it was going to be like bear, which I didn't like at all. I was so surprised to find I liked it better than supermarket pork. When this man and I got together 28 years ago I was a vegetarian. How times have changed! He does enough hunting that the only meat I buy is chicken and sometimes fish.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  07:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh....I remember dealing with the wild hogs inTexas! They used to be on our ranch. You can smell them when they are near! The neighbor at our ranch was hurt by one once. Never ate one though.

I was gifted an “Air Fryer Pro” from my parents. They love theirs so much they thought I would too. I love it! I made chicken tenders, roasted potatoes and little chicken pot pies in it. YUM!

I made pumpkin chili one cold evening. Thursday I made a big pasta toss with rigatoni, the last fresh tomatoes and cakes from the garden, olives, fresh rainbow chard from the garden, onion, peppers, goat cheese, and feta and spinach chicken sausage. I dressed it with olive oil, lemon and balsamic vinegar.

Tonight I am taking a cue from above: chicken and dumplings! YEA!!!

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  07:48:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to take a little sidestep from talking about what's for dinner to a little history on wild hogs. Hogs are not native to the Americas. They were bought into Texas by Spanish explorers in the 1500s. They may have several litters a year with 10 or so babies. Over the last 500 years there numbers have grown into the millions in Texas & La. Through the years they have crossbred with domestic hogs but they are not tame - they are wild and viscous animals.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile
They are also on Catalina Island off the coast of California in the Channel Islands. Years ago I was camping at Two Harbors on the north end under a full moon.

I felt a jerk at the end of my sleeping bag. I sat up quick and saw a large hog close up and personal. I yelled at him to scat and he did. Because of my ignorance I wasn't afraid. I got afraid the next morning when I was told by a local how dangeroys they can be.

Glad I was so ignorant so I didn't do anything stupider but better glad I know better now.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Oct 12 2019 10:14:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  10:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Nancy you are right they are all over the country. Didn't know about them being on Catalina Island. Makes sense though sense hogs can swim and before refrigeration they were on ships for fresh meat.

Slow cooking beef stew meat with brown gravy and onions in the oven. I used my home canned mushroom broth so it will have a hint of mushrooms. Will have it with pappardelle artisan pasta. On top of the stove it's chicken thighs. Annie gets the thighs for the week and I use the broth during the week in my cooking. Homemade broth comes in handy for so many things.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  11:38:16 AM  Show Profile
California has those hogs around Big Sur and up north too.
Dinner tonight is baby back ribs cooked in the pressure cooker. I sure am loving this InstantPot.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  3:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I bet your house smells wonder any time of day !!!

Judith, aren't IP's just terrific!!

TW

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Oct 12 2019 3:49:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  07:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Enjoying the wild hog stories---WV too has wild hogs. I never knew it until I was grown. My room mate in college was one of the biggest liars that ever lived and when I would go home with her to an illustrious part of Boone county---my poor holler friend lived on the opposite side of the county. This lying friend lived in the boss camp in an ugly coal mining area and had a nice house---anyway I digress. She told me that we couldn't hike in the woods because the wild hogs were so mean and naturally I thought she was lying and just too lazy to hike. A few years later I read that her county had the largest population of wild hogs. She told the truth for once. Nicole I too like to make pumpkin chili and I always put pumpkin in my winter veggie soups. Cook on Yellow Rose. Wish I could visit and have lunch with you.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Barbara my door is always open to my FarmGirl sisters. Like the country song says "Y'all Come".

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  06:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls. Sorry I haven’t changed the topic lately. For the last two weeks, we have had the crud in the house. First my daughter and hubby had a nasty respiratory thing, now I have had it. I am on the mend, but still a bit clammy from time to time. And I look like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer but there is always concealer, lol!

Anyway, we have made chicken soup, (my “Magic Elixir Chicken soup”,..works wonders. I also made a fall stew this week with pork, apples, cranberries, and sweet potatoes. We had a rotisserie chicken (let me rave about that air fryer again! It is wonderful!) served with a side of Maple baked beans (love the fall flavor) made in the crock pot, and southern style greens. North and South fare, lol!

Last night was veggie burgers with arugula.

Tonight I am making a baked butternut squash with cinnamon and a brown sugar sauced meatloaf (family fave).

As for the conversation above, I remember how the hogs were so damaging and scary when we lived in TX and would go to my dad’s ranch in the hill country. I remember we would go in the house when we smelled the smell of hog- you can smell “barnyard” when they are close. Thankfully, we do not have any hogs in CT, though this year, there has been a problem with bears in our area. Knock on wood, I have not seen any, but they are around my neighborhood.

Tomorrow is Halloween, I am baking spice cookies using vintage cookie cutters and making a big ol’ pot of my pumpkin chili. I am also going to roast pumpkin seeds. I think I will feel up to it. My bff and her family usually drop by in costume, and I am the “open House” but since the kids are all seniors or graduated high school, this year may be different. Still cooking, just in case.

What is on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  07:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Nicole glad you and family are feeling better.

Defrosting 3 lb chub angus ground chuck to make meat balls for the freezer & 4 beef patties. I had meant to do it last week when I put the 3 lb chub in the freezer to firm up so I could slice it into patties easier. You guessed it I forgot it and it froze solid. Lesson learned - hopefully I won't do that again.

I have a serving of homemade chili in the freezer thinking about it for lunch. It'll be in the 40s all day today so it's a good day for chili.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  07:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Sara, That sounds good! I need to make meatballs and try them in the air fryer!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  07:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Nicole if you do try the meatballs let us know how they turn out.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile
So I have my pumpkin chili ready to assemble, my friends are bringing Meat Pies, and my cookies came out perfect!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  2:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Sara and Nicole---you all are master cooks---I just cook because I have too. Don't like it all that much. Your stuff always sounds great for sure. Today I made an apple cobbler and it was so yummy! Hubby is cooking me a chili tonight and yes there is pumpkin in it. So glad to not have to cook---but I have to go feed the animals in the rain. I guess that is a good deal.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  06:59:42 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, thank you! I would love to try your apple cobbler recipe with the pumpkin. Would you share it here?

I did a klutzy thing and ran into a metal box with my leg. Six inch gash so I had to have a tentanus shot. My friend had us over for dinner so I didn’t have to cook. I am so blessed .
She made us pork schnitzel (soooo good I had two helpings), German potato salad, apple sauce, and I made a green fall salad with arugula, kale, baby lettuce, home grown cucumbers, cranberries, goat cheese, red onion, and pecans.

Not sure what I will have tonight yet as it is just me and DH tonight.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  07:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Nicole so sorry about the boo-boo and having to have a shot too. Your dinner out sounds delish.

I'm canning mushroom broth this morning so there'll be no cooking for me. Looks like a nibbling day.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  05:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Nicole---sorry about your leg. Here is the cobbler recipe: 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin---1 large can of apple pie filling---1 0r two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice---1 box yellow or white cake mix---one half cup of oatmeal---one fourth cup of brown sugar---1 teaspoon of cinnamon---and one half cup of butter. Combine the first three ingredients and put in a 9x13 pan. Heat oven to 350. combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and cut in the butter and place on top the apples. I made filling for an apple pie from fresh apples and used home cooked pumpkin---because that is how we roll in the holler; we use as much of our own food as we can. This is an easy recipe and quite tasty. Oh I forgot---it needs to bake45-60 minutes. My old range bakes slow so I use the hour.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  08:00:25 AM  Show Profile
Raining and cold front blowing in from the west so it's potato leek soup. Good day to do a little house work & piddle. I will eat on the soup all day.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  8:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Ok, tonight I made a very easy slow cooked stew. I used 3lbs of ground chicken, 1 can each of peas, green beans, carrots and sweet potatos. It cooked for about 4hrs on high slow cook. My little man just loved it. Made enough to freeze and serve for about a month. Luckily my little man doesn't mind the same thing every night. Only problem is my big man had to cook his own dinner. Hey Barbara I am working on my cooking skills one specie at a time.

TW

Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Nov 07 2019 8:48:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page