texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  08:51:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh My, all of the meals sound (and LOOK) so delicious!

Last night DH cooked. He grilled a big juicy steak with sweet potato oven fries, and french green beans. He made a delicious sauce. For dessert, he bought some imported German chocolate. I am sure I gained five pounds from that meal. Gaining five more just thinking about it...

Tonight I am trying some colorful Quinoa that MaryJane sent me, trying a recipe she included. :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  10:50:36 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane was right...the type of Quinoa makes a difference. It was delicious! I made MJ's recipe with peas and fresh herbs as a side dish. It got gobbled up!

Last night we had a baked chicken with garlic bread and green beans. I am going out to eat "fancy" with my Girl Scout troop, but DH will have what I had for lunch which was delish: a yummy sub sandwich made with Organic french bread sliced in half, with organic mayo, the shredded chicken from last night (warmed), sliced pepper jack cheese, fresh tomato, basil, and homegrown lettuce, homemade pickles, dash of Himalayan pink salt. YUM!

What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2015 :  5:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Today I received some garlic scapes. I have never eaten them. Made the garlic scape frittata in MJ's Life Book. Delicious! On the side, we had pickled beets and a yummy salad with lettuce and radishes from the garden, peas, tomatoes, olives, and a creamy dressing.

Loved the dinner. Want more, lol!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2015 :  8:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Last night-Almost everything was from the garden, except the pork. It is locally raised by an amish farmer.

Tonight-

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  4:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, YUM! What a mouth watering meal! Love the photos - I could sit right down and eat!

Saturday we hosted a campout for Girl Scouts in our backyard - made hot dogs with Danish dough in the campfire, home made ice cream, smores, and toast-tite sandwiches with vintage campfire toast tite presses. It was fun. I was so tired from hosting a bevy of 12 year old girls and sleeping in a tent, that I don't remember what we ate that night. Wednesday was the last day of school and I chaperoned a GS dance, so dinner was french bread pizzas (homemade. Tonight is a classic: MaryJane's recipe for Chicken and Dumplings!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2015 :  06:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Nicole,

Your mention of Girl Scouts brought to mind lots of camping food things, but two main ones: a lunch or dinner, and an almost obscene dessert.

My scouts adore their "tacos in a bag" where you use the little lunchbox-sized bags of chips as the bowl for your dinner, and pile in all the other taco salad ingredients. There is something magically odd to little kids about eating your dinner out of a bag. We've learned to cut down on trash by getting just enough of the little bags for the kids to use over and over, refilling chips from a bigger bag.

Not the healthiest option, but I don't expect camp food to win any health awards. We do improve it a bit by using ground bison, and we've expanded the kids' food horizons by getting them to include beans, cilantro, a squeeze of lime and other interesting goodies to add variety.

Now hold on to your taste buds if you are a lover of desserts!

We make pineapple upside-down cakes wrapped in foil cooked over the coals, but the key to this version is you use Krispy Kreme donuts as the cake. My mouth just watered. This is a calorie and sugar bomb and probably should not be eaten by anyone more than a few times a year, so savor it when you do indulge.

On a sheet of buttered/sprayed tin foil, put half of a sliced donut with the uncut side down. Spread the cut side facing you with a little butter, sprinkle it with some brown sugar, and place one pineapple ring on top. On the other side of the donut, put a little butter and brown sugar, and quickly slap the buttered side on top of the pineapple, making a fabulous little sandwich. Put a few marischino (sp?) cherries in the donut hole, and you are ready to seal it up.

Be sure to seal the foil well, making it a packet that will keep any moisture in as the dessert cooks. If it is not really sealed, moisture will escape and the whole thing dries out more than browns.

Put the packets on a grill over glowing coals/embers, cooking it for 5 minutes per side. When you take them off the grill, open them and let them cool off for a few minutes because these things really hold a lot of heat and can be too hot to eat at first.

One little twist I personally enjoy because in my world there is no such thing as too much cherry, I like to dot the cut donut surface with s little juice from the cherry jar. What the heck - this is total decadence already, right? What's a little more sugar?!

Enjoy-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  5:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,
Love your post! Love the "almost obscene dessert". Fun, fun, fun.

After our campout and going from an all organic diet to a dinner, breakfast and snacks neither organic nor healthy, I really felt it. But, once in awhile is A-Ok, and boy, did we enjoy our camping.

Tonight my DD had a babysitting job, so I made a quick meal that was awesome! We had bought some organic ground turkey for the freezer. I used it to make a white turkey chili. It came out fantastic! Made it with white pinto beans, tomatoes, a yellow pepper, onion, and topped it off with yogurt and cheese.

Last night we went to a carnival, so it was boiled egg sandwiches like my grandma used to make. :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  6:46:24 PM  Show Profile
I built a huge salad using greens from our greenhouse (I like Johnny's Elegance Greens Mix) along with some beets and carrots (diced). I sprinkled on some brewers yeast, added some cooked cannellini beans, balsamic vinegar, and then topped it with a big dollup of fresh sauerkraut.

I have a dedicated pair of scissors on my counter so I can grab big chunks of washed greens and quickly cut them into a bowl when I'm making a salad. Dessert was a banana.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  7:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Sound like my kind of meal MJ! I love adding cannellini to so many things!
Hubs is on a 700 mile bike ride across OH, so I am taking advantage and having little mini meals that I love. Tonight, (I found some spicy olive bruschetta on sale), put on some hard crusty bread. Sautéed some zuke, onions, garlic, and tomatoes.. Topped with Parm and a drizzle of olive oil on the bruschetta too. I ate an hour ago and am still drooling.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2015 :  7:47:15 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane your dinner inspired me so dinner tonight was fresh greens - three kinds of lettuce from the garden, peas, carrots, tomatoes, radishes, cukes, and avocado, cauliflower. Made homemade dressing. Strawberries for dessert. It was a wonderful, refreshing summer meal!

Far girl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  05:51:08 AM  Show Profile
I taught camp all last week, so dinners were simple, mainly quick salads. Saturday was indulgent: I made homemade enchiladas, quick and simple, but hearty and tasty. I used organic ground beef, spiced it up myself and made a sauce using tomato sauce as the base. Did you know Costco now has organic flour tortillas? I like to make my own, but these are good for being ready-made, and much more healthy than the ones that are not organic (and have ingredients that are quite scary. I rolled the stuffed tortillas up, topped with the sauce and sprinkled with cheese, and served black beans as a side.

Tonight I am making a one-dish meal, using pork loin and apples with sweet potatoes. It's a family favorite.

What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  09:11:46 AM  Show Profile
When Texas heats up I do a lot of dishes out of the pantry. Today lunch is curry chicken salad made from can chicken. Along with the curry I added Mojito (Cuban mint), dried green onions, mayo, lime juice, S&P. On the side my sister's Cherokee Purple tomato.

Yesterday I made a big pot of vegetable soup which will last for days. I do enjoy a good bowl of soup for evening meal.

Have a blessed day, Sara ~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls - yummy stuff all over this strain! Can you just imagine what it would be like if we all got together for a big Farmgirl potluck?!

Tonight we're having grilled chicken marinated in a homemade balsamic dressing with a marinated Italian salad made with lots of veggies, pepperoncini, fresh mozzarella, pepperoni, salami, and blackforest ham, all tossed together with accents of homemade crusty bread. SO good! The salad itself could be the main course! :)

Have a great day!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  09:06:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I haven't decided what to make yet for tonight, but we just finished a neat dessert last night. A friend came over on July 4th and brought us a "Patriotic Pie" she baked using blueberries, cherries, and strawberries! It was divine and so pretty! So cute for this time of year!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Made a recipe given to me by a friend from New Zealand the other night: Potter's Pie. It was good, shepherd's pie using beef. Last night we had Hawaiian Pizza. I was in the mood for pizza and something tropical, lol. Tonight I made a meat loaf in a vintage fireking baking dish, with new potatoes, and roasted brussels sprouts. Take washed, peeled brussels, drizzle in olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin, and then bake on a baking sheet at 375 until brown and crispy (not burned). Oh so good!

What is on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  09:01:34 AM  Show Profile
I hosted a very special guest the other night...a very special, "real" Glamper and member of Sisters on the Fly for dinner. So...I made a King Ranch casserole (very southwestern), a salad with everything fresh from the garden, and a cobbler made from berries picked that morning. It was wonderful, and the company was terrific. (Find out who in an upcoming blog ;) ).

Last night we were exhausted from swimming and gardening. I love this time of year, when dinner depends on what is in the backyard. Made sandwiches from the day's eggs, with fresh kale and onion sauteed in a olive oil, fresh picked tomatoes, fresh picked romaine, avocado, and on the side hummus and garden snap peas. Quick and easy and good!

Today I picked yellow squash. The family is happy because I will make squash casserole (a favorite). We will have garbanzo bean salad with cukes, basil, tomatoes, and mint from the garden, and chicken cooked in wine. Yum!!! I can hardly wait.

What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  11:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Leftover Garden Veggie Soup; okra, beans, peas, carrots, zucchini, onions, onion tops, and parsley, and tomatoes. I also added potatoes and cut up beef.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
sauteed zucchini (from our neighbor's garden) with onion, cod fillets seasoned with lemon pepper, and red rice! Sprinkle a little parmesan over . . . yum!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  03:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm into my summer routine of eating. On the advice of doctors who say people with MS should eat only cold foods during the hot months I eat sandwiches and cold soups. Which is okay with me because I like sandwiches and cold soups.

Today it's turkey w/dried tomatoes & basil, Havarti cheese, pickled peppers, and potato chips on rye bread. What's a sandwich with out chips so I put some on my sandwiches that way I don't just sit and eat them out of the bag.

Made beef broth yesterday. A well seasoned beef broth, de-fatted, is good served cold.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  06:34:56 AM  Show Profile
This may not be original, but last night we were eating on the light side, since we have a heavier lunch every Wednesday at our Rotary meeting. We had stopped at a local Amish farm for fresh corn and tomatoes (our big tomatoes aren't ripe yet), and I wanted a little bread to go with our veggie meal. I had a packet of Mary Jane's Organic Corn Bread in the cupboard for inspiration and a garden overflowing with yummy fresh basil. I put the dry mix into the handy-dandy Kitchenaid and cut in a couple of tablespoons of nice cold butter, added a small handful of fresh basil (chopped up chunky with kitchen scissors), a VERY generous tablespoon or two of coarsely grated black pepper, and grated about half a cup (?) of good sharp cheddar over top of it before adding 1/3 cup of cold water. Old Blue (my Kitchenaid) mixed up a nice firm biscuit which I shaped into 9 pieces and baked at 375 for about 13 minutes. Oh my goodness! My Dude, who doesn't normally eat bread at dinner, scarfed down 4 of them before he came up for air. They were so yummy!!! I have the black bean cornbread mix in the cupboard, too, and am thinking that some of our embarrassingly huge crop of jalapeno peppers might have to find their way into a batch of cornbread biscuits soon -- possibly with a nice sweet salsa.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn...sounds so delish! YUM!

I haven't been on here in a week because I was "kidnapped" by a friend with her kids to Maine. She has a cabin on an island on a lake there. We were up and active sun up to sun down. We spent much of the time on her pontoon boat, and came home at night to make dinners such as fresh veggies from our gardens and steak, a pan of lasagna I had made, hamburgers (home made of course) and one night, fresh Maine lobster. I always say I don't eat seafood, but that was good. May have to amend my no seafood rule. We also made chicken with a side of fresh garden zuchini, sauteed with mushrooms and onions.

Last night my family and I were in NY state and found a barbeque restaurant. OH MY Heavens! I had the closest thing to Texas bar be que I can get. Bar Be que beef smoked brisket sandwich with hot bar be que sauce, side of delish beans, and collard greens! I couldn't wait to scarf down my leftovers for lunch.

Tonight I am making a bean salad since I have a plethora of orange cherry tomatoes and fresh cukes. YUM! I'll throw in some feta cheese and maybe some fresh green onions.

Sara, I enjoy cold food in the summer, too.

What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  05:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Tonight I am doing one of my favorite things to do in the summer...make a pizza but cover it with fresh herbs and veggies straight from the garden! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm a little late with this, but my hubby made, for the first time, cannelloni with ground beef and ground pork. He made and rolled out his own pasta.
YUMMY!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I've been making bread for decades, but my hubby has not. He decided to try his hand a focaccia bread. He used herbe we grow (Italian oregano, spicy basil, lemon basil and rosemary. It was delicious and a great accompaniment to our turkey and greens salad we had on our mountain day trip picnic yesterday.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. The best part? Our neighbor is Italian and a chef, having owned his own restaurant in the past. My hubby gave him samples of the cannelloni and focaccia bread. Our neighbor was VERY, VERY IMPRESSED!
My hubby is a very good cook . . . I'm thankful!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page