cbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Cherise
Corona CA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  9:04:04 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention... they also had a couple of vintage sewing machines with tables for about $25 each (and that day they were 50% off). Wish I had the room for them!

Cherise :)
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  10:17:59 PM  Show Profile
I got 2 10" fluted-edge pie pans. They were marked $1.99 each, but when I got to the register, the cashier said these are wrong, charge me .99 cents each! Ha!

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  07:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Wide mouth canning jars!! Good old Goodwill!
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  08:19:24 AM  Show Profile
Well it was the longest yard sale last week. I live near the starting point. I went about 150 miles one day and found some treasures. 2 Vintage tablecloths $1 each. one was hand embroderied. A bag of vintage lace $12 including a collar and cuffs. A milk stool from new orleans for $28. Large Glass cutting board with a rooster on it for $2, Old red candy or fruit dish? 50 cents. Had a blast!!!

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:23:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey, post some pictures! Id' love to see the vintage stuff!

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I love the bread basket. It's been so hot here that I haven't been to any tag sales lately. But, I did find a beautiful long cream colored wool coat for $9.99 at goodwill last month.
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  7:29:00 PM  Show Profile
I love our Goodwill store! I have found several barley used pairs of Dansko's and Born shoes for under $17. My favorite find was an antique "gold" edged, milk glass plate for deviled eggs. I don't remember what i paid for it, but I remember being happy to find it and then being double happy when I realized the color tag that was on it was half off that day. Woo hoo!
I call my Goodwill shopping sprees mt therapy. It's actually cheaper than psychotherapy and I have something to show for it! To avoid clutter, when ever I bring something home, especially clothes, I make an effort to I give away the same number of items.

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  8:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Man, I swear everyone finds la creuset but me, dang! Here's my new bean bag pillow- put the beans in jars, stuffed the bag after I washed it-

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

LaceMistress
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

New York
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile
I got a couple of free wrought iron stands from a business that recently moved to a different building and was being forced to get all new furnishings. So, I'm repainting them black (they were a bright green colour--not too bad, but I much prefer the black for wrought iron) and using them for end tables and night stands in my apartment. I'm also planning on either making lace or getting cheap machine lace and gluing that to the legs--I think white or ecru lace on them would be absolutely stunning, especially if I put varnish over the lace to help preserve it. :)

Too much thread, so little time!

Edited by - LaceMistress on Aug 22 2011 08:19:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  12:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I went to an auction Saturday and scored a poster of the 1996 Iowa Sesquicentennial--the illustration showed the shape of the state with all the counties as quilt blocks. I also got a little wooden sign that says "Weeds" (could think TV or that creeping charlie out back). My big prizes was a bag of 2 twin white chenille bedspreads with assorted other items included, including at least 8 ladies handkerchiefs, a white shawl and a vintage nightgown. I also scored a "pantry jar" of old buttons.
I need to frame the poster and clean the buttons. The pantry jar looks like a big peanut butter jar with a red and white lid.
As far as the chenille goes, I'm thinking pillows or stuffed animals. Could use those hankies on the pillows.
All told, I spent $32 that day. would have spent more if I'd fought that lady for the vintage fabric pieces, but when bidding got up to $25, someone had to stop the madness!

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."

Edited by - shepherdwagen on Aug 22 2011 12:18:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  4:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Great finds!!!

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile
I have to say I found an old hobnail milk glass lamp with a hurricane. It was filthy dirty, but a little soap and water took care of that. And the price was soooo good. Under $5!

Appreciate the little things, for they are not really that little.
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  6:37:56 PM  Show Profile
$4 for a gold antique aluminum pitcher, a 2 quart blue glass ball jar, a metal shoehorn, and 12 balls of tatting/crochet cotton at an estate sale. I thought I did pretty good!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  9:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Cool!!!

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  6:31:08 PM  Show Profile
A small antique store in town is going out of business and has 30% off everything. I found a large zip lock bag of old wooden handled stamps (the kind you use with an ink pad) packed full - and most of the stamps had women's names. It was $14.00 - but I felt like I won the lottery - I found "Lorraine" (my name), "Lucille" (granddaughter - we call her Lucy), "Mary Elizabeth" (daughter), Virginia (sister), Jane (sister), Doris (mom and niece), Ruth (sister-in-law), Irene & Joyce (good friends), etc., etc.... I have no idea what they were used for - but they're amazing. A friend of mine is an interior decorator and she suggested I put them in a large apothocary (sp?) jar on my mantle. I thought about using them to tie on presents. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but they are so much fun to look at. There must me 30 or more... I've never seen anything like it. I also found some great red transferware cups and saucer for $3.50 each. Love it. Even though I'm sorry to see the shop close - the owner told me "it was time" and he's tired of being tied down. He owns the building and all is well. I fel better after that.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  6:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I found a mandolin brand new in the box. retailed for 79.99. My price$5! What a cool find. Always wanted one, but never wanted to spend $80+ for one.

Appreciate the little things, for they are not really that little.

Edited by - blackantsnpeonys on Sep 07 2011 6:52:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  06:26:58 AM  Show Profile
I bought a bag of books at the library book sale, for $2.00. I got one craft book on making pillows, one on making soft toys, one on knitting, a horse book for dd, a book about pioneers, and many fiction books. I really scored with the three craft books alone. Awesome projects in them.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Have lost a lot of weight so far this year and have been going through all my "too big" clothes and taking bags over to the Goodwill about an hours drive from us. Had planned to go to JCP and see about getting some long sleeved tops for fall/winter, but after dropping off my donation I went inside the store. WOW!!!! Tops were $3.75 apeace so I got eight - that's all the cash I had with me at the time. Plan to go back and get some jeans and summer tops too since I had just donated all my other clothes to them. Can't wait to go back and really take a closer look at everything they have - shoes, kitchen stuff, etc. Earlier this spring went to the local thrift store, which was up for sale and they wanted to get rid of things, and picked up four wool sweaters that I will take apart and make handwarmers and scarves out of for this winter. When I've gone to my daughter's place in Fargo, I hit a thrift store up there that I've gotten some men's sweaters that fit me just great over a turtlneck - really nice and warm.
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  2:15:15 PM  Show Profile
A couple weeks ago, I mentioned I bought a lg bag of stamps (ink pad kind - not postage) with names on them - including my own name... I put them in a lg jar on my mantle for now. Today, my farmgirl chapter went to the Third Sunday Market in Bloomington - a combo antique show, flea market, craft show. We had a blast - even though it was a drizzly, damp day... However, we were a little disappointed at the prices at many of the vendors - but we all snagged a few things at good prices. But my find of the day was one of those old stamp stands for $4.00! I was looking for one to hang a couple of my favorite names on it and set it on my desk - just for fun. I saw two others - both two-tiered (bigger than I wanted) and way more expensive. As we were walking out, one of the vendors took a stamp stand out of a box and one of my friends saw it right away - and at a fabulous price. I was very pleased and it looks sooooo cute on my desk.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

andwhathaveya
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Tiffany
Beckley WV
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  8:32:16 PM  Show Profile
I recently aquired a picnic basket for $5.00 at a yard sale. My two year old daughter loves it! We go on a picnic at least once a week. Even though it is starting to get cold, I have a feeling we will be having indoor picnics very soon. When we are not using it for picnics, she hides her "treasures" in it.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  04:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lorraine

I have a friend that is an interior decorator-her house is AWESOME, of course-anyway, she's got a bowl full of old stamps-it's a beautiful wood bowl, but I'm sure any bowl would work! She has them just out-and she says everyone loves to look at them. Just an idea :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  04:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I found a beautiful, solid gold collar necklace for $1.50 :) I've always wanted one! I've actually wanted one to decorate with small flowers and stuff and wear it as a headpiece.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Megan - thanks for the idea about putting the stamps in a bowl. That does sound cute. It might sound strange, but they're so fun to look at... I think I might use a couple to tie on gifts. My granddaughter, Lucy, is going to love that. Although, then I'll have to take her stamp off my holder...

I found some really cute turquoise cups and saucers (6)and a matching bowl for $2.50. And a Fire King loaf pan with great color on the outside for $1. I'm already thinking about Christmas (no groaning) - our farmgirl chapter draws names and we have a $10 limit - also, nothing new - at least not from a regular store - its ok if it comes from a thrift store. So I thought I could make some bread in this great loaf pan and give the food and pan.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  6:48:33 PM  Show Profile
I found this (minus the handle) at goodwill for $1.50 yesterday, an old, pre-WW2 "silk iron", made in China-
I'll polish it up and use for something!

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  6:55:43 PM  Show Profile
I got 7 cross stitch card kits at Joann's for $2 a piece. I also purchased on ebay 105 dmc threads which came with bobbins and a large plastic container with all of them in it. It was only $13 and then with shipping only came too $20, so including that I only paid 19 cents a skein when normally they are 39 cents a piece.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Nifty Thrifty:  What's Your Latest Find??? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page