Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Cure for mothball-smelling clothes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cure for mothball-smelling clothes? Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  2:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Before my son was born, my mother-in-law was such a dear that she sent me three boxes of my husband's and his brothers' old baby clothes. I would say that about 95% of the clothes were very decent and nice looking still, so it was a welcomed gift!

However, the clothes are a little stinky, like they were stored with mothballs or something. I washed them right after they arrived (about 5 or 6 times!) in all different kinds of detergent, finally settling on the Arm-n-Hammer heavy-duty powder. I thought that it worked...

...but now that Jack is old enough to wear some of the stuff (it's mainly older baby and toddler clothes), I'm finding that they still smell!

Help farmgirls! I so want to be able to use this wonderful gift since it was so darn nice and would save us a lot of money on clothes, but I have SUCH a sensitive nose that there's no way that I can cuddle my sweet baby in these clothes as is! Any tips for a sure-fire way to rid them of the mothball smell?

Thanks!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  9:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, dear. I KNOW that smell... I believe that the chemicals in mothballs dissipate into the air after a while; have you hung them out on the clothesline in the sun for a day (or two?!?!)? It's not sure-fire, but it's what I'd try next.

Good luck! I'd want to have those clothes mothball-smell-free for my little one, too!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:12:24 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking a day of open air sunshine too. I might even lay them directly on the grass. Isn't there something about chlorophyll and getting things fresh and clean? Otherwise I might just put the clothes on the kids long enough to get a picture and forget about it. Mothballs scare me.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cure for mothball-smelling clothes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page