Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What's vintage in your kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 8

HolidayJunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Northglenn Colorado
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  09:55:07 AM  Show Profile
I've been filling mine more and more with vintage items. I've bought some great serving platters and bowls. I bought an old potato masher..the squeeze kind for display. I've also been buying some old cookbooks recently. Just some small, fun ones we've come across. I also have an "imitation" old record player because I enjoy playing records sometimes when we're having dinner. So the records are old, but not the player.

Blog: http://confessionsofaholidayjunkie.blogspot.com/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/holidayjunkie/
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
I too, use a cast iron frying pan. What I really love though, is a little flour sifter I found at a yard sale. You can't find them anywmore, but it's the same as the one my mother taught me how to use when we'd bake together. It just makes me warm and fuzzy when I use it... and it's the absolute best tool for making pies.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Patsy, I too have a black walnut rolling pin. My father in law made it in high school in the early 40's, from a tree planted by his great uncle. Love it.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  2:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Of all things, my favorite vintage item is a dish towel, embroidered by my grandmother and still in use today. I don't want to think how many decades old this treasure is, but I believe there to be some Divine Intervention keeping it not just in use but almost free of stains.

I was beyond delighted to see it is from Aunt Martha's hot iron transfers "Ducky Ducks" - still available today. I was born on a Wednesday, so she made me the Wednesday duck - wearing a very cute apron (smart duck) and holding a cake. Love it love it love it!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  05:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Well, when I wrote on this topic the first time I had a few vintage things. My mom passed away last August and my dad decided to move in with us this month. So, that means that I have many items that they used in their kitchen. Just about 3/4 of the things are vintage now because my mom saved everything and made it all last. She was very good at taking care of her things and taught us to do the same. Some new vintage additions are a grinder, lots of platters and dishes, more aprons and a really cool old juicer. I just have to figure out how to use it now. Fortunately, she also saved all the books to everything

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 27 2013 05:53:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

zquiltlady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Lynnette
San Tan Valley AZ
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  07:12:41 AM  Show Profile
I have also received something new/old, I now have my Mom's sterling silver. It was only used on holidays when company came over, but I love it daily!
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  1:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Lynette,

Use your silver daily. An old school Southern Bell once told me she "loved to put her sterling in the dishwasher." Of course that was her everyday set, and she never mixed it with stainless.

As for the oldest thing in my kitchen: probably my grandmother's crockery mixing bowl. I also have a composite portrait of my grandparents when they were newlyweds.

Power to cooks everywhere!

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  7:30:46 PM  Show Profile
I have my grandmother's sterling silverware that is stamped 1872 and my parents used it all the time and was handed down to me. I also have the 1923 Fannie Farmer cookbook that was my grandmother's also.

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  06:50:28 AM  Show Profile
What a great thread. I have a lot vintage in my kitchen including this stool.

Go to Top of Page

cutie pie cottge
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Holly
Moscow ID
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  2:09:57 PM  Show Profile

A little "happiness" from my vintage kitchen to yours.

Holly

http://holly-girlsatheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  03:14:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, very cute, Holly. I take it you have an apple theme in your kitchen?
Go to Top of Page

cutie pie cottge
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Holly
Moscow ID
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  05:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Carol! Not really an apple theme. I have strawberries too and all sorts of vintage wares.

Go to Top of Page

cutie pie cottge
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Holly
Moscow ID
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  05:29:44 AM  Show Profile
I collect and display Alpine Challet dishes in my kitchen. They are the dishes of my 60's childhood! My single mother earned them by buying gasoline.
Every time I find a piece at a garage sale or thrift store, I am filled with wonder. I love to treasure hunt- especially if I have money! Ha!

Go to Top of Page

Grove Gal
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Annie
Grove City Ohio
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  04:54:07 AM  Show Profile
When we bought our home we went to get quotes on a kitchen island, the prices led us to believe that it was an actual Island :)
Nope not for us so a refinished drysink with a hinged countertop allows dish storage and a work area and we love it! Price under $60.00. The savings allowed for vintage jelly cupboard too~

Sometimes I've believed six impossible things before breakfast

Annie
Farmgirl #5397
Go to Top of Page

cutie pie cottge
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Holly
Moscow ID
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  07:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Your dry sink sounds awesome, Annie!

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  8:31:25 PM  Show Profile
I love Vintage kitchen, I have many of my granny's and great granny's kitchen utensils, mason Jars and Stone ware bowls.Carole that was too funny!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  6:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Vintage, hmmnnn, what started my kitchen remodel was a enamel coated French salt box. It's bright red. I have some very old cast iron pans, a copper jam pot, and some copper bowls and dutch oven. Otherwise, my kitchen is new--bright red stove! Love it! I love my old cast iron pans. And, yeah, you don't put soap in them. If you do, just reseason, no biggee. I've recovered some cast iron people have thrown away by roasting them on the oven cleaning cycle. Your oven door will lock while it's doing its thing. You'll find grey dust on the floor of the oven. Easy to wipe up with a wet cloth. The cast iron object will be stripped down to it's original finish. After cooling down an hour or so in the oven, take it out and smother it with whatever fat you're going to season it with. It's amazing.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  6:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sylvia, a RED stove! your Lucky Farm Girl!! My Granny taught me to clean my cast iron that way to.

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  9:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by sidavis

My husband has collected Griswold cast iron frying pans but I''m not allowed to use them sinced I washed one in soap and water. Yikes! You would have thought I committed a crime!

Susan

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.

My mother did the same thing to my cast iron. She scrubbed the flavor right out of them! She is now banned from helping with dishes in my house.

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
When I painted my postage stamp of a kitchen, I decided to hang all my vintage and antique hotpads up around the top of the walls. Some of them belonged to my great great grandmother. The more loved they look, the better I like them. I also have odd serving dishes that I have collected from garage sales, thrift stores, and any place else I could find them cheap. I use old glass jars to store my flour, sugar, and pasta. Vintage tins hold most of my teas. My good china used to be my grandmother's and my good silver was my great grandmother's. I even have a wooden screw type nutcracker that used to belong to my great grandfather. Family treasures are wonderful.

Farmgirl #1350

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  10:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
You must be smiling every time you walk into your kitchen. How wonderful to have that stuff! Those are indeed family treasures. My husband just pulled out of his tool box two awls that belonged to his sweet grandmother. I quickly grabbed one of them. We have her ice pick. I love family heirlooms like these worn old tools. I so feel her presence when I touch them.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  05:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Sylvia,

It is wonderful. This past weekend I canned 5 pints of sweet pumpkin and used my grandmother's pressure canner for the first time. Like you, I feel the presence of each relative who has passed on as I use the same tools they used. What a blessing.

Farmgirl #5389

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  8:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you're canning with a vintage canner. Mine is years old. Needs a new rubber ring. I, too, will be canning pumpkin.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  9:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I have my grandmother old mixer. It's very heavy. It still works and it from the 50's. Also I have my Nana's bone china tea cups. Each one has a different rose design on it. She brought these from Scotland when she came to the USA in the 30's.

Tara

STYX the Band rocks!
Support your local organic farmer.www.localharvest.org
Monsanto you Stink!!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile
I have two china cabinets full of vintage dishes. One is full of tea cups and plates and the other crystal.

Great post!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com

www.helporganizeyou.com
www.mycountrygourmethome.com/chefmarshaj
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page