Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What's vintage in your kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 8

cocina_girl
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Maria
Fayetteville NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  05:44:01 AM  Show Profile
I have a few vintage things in my kitchen, mostly my milkglass and jaideite collection. And my great gradnma's tea set; well part of it. I do not collect too many things, but anything depression glass I love :)

Best wishes!

Maria
Farmgirl #3030

http://aplatteroffigs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  08:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Well, I didn't think there was anything more vintage than myself in my kitchen. However, at the Thanksgiving table several pieces were in use: GG grandma's matching platter, serving bowl and covered tureen, both G grandma's little serving/relish dishes, sugar bowls/creamers, and Gma's china. Lot's to pass on the gkids. I hope they will want them and cherish them.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  10:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Well, me, for starters I have two antique hand made rolling pins, a large collection of cookie cutters, some antique, some cast iron pots and pans, several antique aprons, and a beloved china platter that belonged to my great grandma when she was young. I also have a large stack of mismatched antique plates in a box. We never use them, but I'm never quite able to send them to the thrift shop

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  08:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh this is a wonderful thread. Haven't had a chance to get on it till now. I have my husband's great grandmother's dishes and a lot of my own great grandmother's and grandmother's things. I have some potholders that my grandma crocheted and some Fire King dishes and custard cups. I have green dessert glasses that belonged to my grandma. I don't have too many things other than the dishes that I can put to use. I have lots of enamelware that belonged to both of them and I have a bean pot that I do use of my husband's gr. granny's. I love having all these things around that they used. I even have some pots that my great, great grandparents brought with them from Holland. I also have a tea set that I cherish that belonged to my grandma. So they are well considered vintage items. And I use all of them that I can.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 26 2011 08:10:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  3:23:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty darn vintage. So is my 1939 Estate Wood Cookstove. I use it every single day here off-grid. I love it! Check out the video tour of it on my blog! I named her Estella! Cheers!

Off-grid living in a small solar-powered cabin. Please subscribe to my blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
and visit my ETSY shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural?ref=si_shop
THANK YOU from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  11:00:41 PM  Show Profile

We have an old wall mounted coffee grinder on the kitchen wall. My husband brings me freshly ground coffee every morning. He's six years older and retired, so I guess that he qualifies too......
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  5:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Pyrex bowls - yellow from my mother in law. I use them all the time. My mom's rolling pins, pie pans, casserole dishes, cast iron pot (really big) and oh yeah - me!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  7:18:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a soft green enameled wood cookstove that my DH bought & installed for me last year for a present. It came with an assortment of vintage kitchen utensils that we use too. We also have some cast iron trivets that were my grandmothers. I am going away from appliances and replacing them with great hand tools, some which are vintage. So fun and a great connection to our ancestors. It's wonderful to eat "real food"!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  8:57:34 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen sink is original to the 35 year old log home. It's bright red!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  2:36:06 PM  Show Profile
I have a electric mixer with three beaters and two bowls with the original instructions from 1937.
Go to Top of Page

SuzanneH
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Suzanne
St Francisville Louisiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  4:22:52 PM  Show Profile
We are in the process of packing for a move, so I am going through all my goodies right now. I collect pink depression glass, antique wooden butter molds from Europe, vintage chocolate molds, antique milk can from Germany (I have four different sizes in all) Vintage Lily of the Valley Tumble Ups--for your bed side tables when you have guest, Vintage tin plates, serving platters,trays,bowls, canisters, mostly by Daher of England. I have two china cabinets full of vintage tea cups and saucers along with tea pots, platters, plates, cream and sugar sets, vintage egg beaters from my grandmother along with her Pyrex mixing bowls, a shifter, a nut chopper, a wire collapsible egg basket, and the one thing I use and love the most.....my mother had a pot with a drainer basket in it--really it was an aluminum pot with polka dot holes all over it. When the handle came off, my mother started using it to keep eggs in it. That is what I use it for too.

Everyone who sees it wants to know where to get one.

Suzanne
Farmgirl #3608
http://www.etsy.com/shop/countrylifenaturals
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TuttieLou
http://countrynatural.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/suzholland/
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  08:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Last weekend we moved my 1920's china cabinet up to the kitchen from the basement where it has been "stored" in our workout room for the past four years. So, now I can display my collection of vintage Johnson Brother's dishes! It was a heavy booger and I kept telling myself "don't drop it, don't drop it" while we were carrying up the stairs. The door to our pantry is also an old farmhouse front door on swinging hinges that had the top panels removed and replaced with metal grillwork sheeting to add ventilation and natural light.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  07:20:09 AM  Show Profile
I have my father's, grandmother's petzel iron. It even has her initials on it. These are to make cookies with over a gas stove. She brought it from Italy.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  05:57:33 AM  Show Profile

I had'nt seen this post before...I love it...Hopefully I will awaken it to other farm girls to post:):):)

I have my grandmother's apron...my mom's white hutch with the meal barrel in it...green glass vintage bowls and my mom's rolling pin. Also...I have 2 mixing bowls my mom used. They came with a mixer that was bought for her in the early 1970's. I keep their memory alive everyday. My granny lived with us for about 18 years before my mom passed away in the early 1980's.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I love this post as well. I have my grandmothers cast iron pots & pans as well as three of her aprons. I have my mothers old mixing bowls. All of which I so love to use. I also have my great grandmothers antique plates and antique scale that I just display.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  3:47:25 PM  Show Profile
I can surely tell you what's vintage in my kitchen.....ME!

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  04:54:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a vintage bread box that I do use to keep my bread in and not just decoration. I also have some vintage bowls and other odds and ends that I use that were my grandmothers, and I just got my grandmothers plate that she used to serve goodies to her company on. Not sure if I'll use it or just display it.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I've lived in an urban area most my life, but now I'm living in a rural area up on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  4:45:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh my...what a great conversation! The most obvious vintage item in my kitchen is the salvaged barnwood we installed 4 years ago, taken from an old crumbling wreck that was falling down after over 100 years of faithful service to a herd of dairy cows. It's grey and rough and looks great as wainscoting, along with a sweet chair rail to top it all off, and the builders had just enough to finish the whole space.

It's a nice backdrop for the aprons hanging on a funky modern chicken wall hook, and the iron-handled dough cutter that hangs above the countertop. My friend gave us a beaufitul jelly cabinet where I keep my tea pot and mugs and all the cookbooks I married, plus a dry sink I found at an antique store in Amish country a few hours from home. Really love that old Betty Crocker cookbook!! Ever try the French Breakfast Muffins recipe? Outstanding!

Funny, I'm so used to everything in my kitchen I never really thought about it until I saw this forum. I"ve gotta go back and look now. :)

Liz

If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "thank you", that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart
Go to Top of Page

zquiltlady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Lynnette
San Tan Valley AZ
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  5:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi All, I'm new to this, this is my first post. Some of the vintage things in my kitchen are items from my Mom, such as a butter mold from the dairy farm she was raised on, old spice cans she saved for some reason (I'm glad) and an old colander. I really want to get an old Daisy type butter churn, I love them!
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  09:05:18 AM  Show Profile
I have rolling pins hanging on my wall that belonged to my Great Grandmother, Grandmother, husband Grandmother and so on. I love them and wish I could hear the stories they would have if they could talk.

amy r
sister #4186
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile
I have several vintage items since I love antiques. I have old Fire King bake ware, an old metal picnic box, old glass jars including an old round candy jar among other things. I think, though, my favorite piece is the sign my DH made for me out of barn siding from my family's 110 year old homestead. It simply says 'FARMGIRL'. I hung it above my kitchen windows so I see it everyday.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sandylee
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

sandy
sunset south carolina
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  9:50:48 PM  Show Profile
This is a great topic, since I love, love, love vintage, antiques, primitive all things old. We are building a cabin and most of mine are in storage, I miss them so much. My Karr Range wood cook stove, white enamel ware with red trim and some with black, large pie safe, flour cabinet, to name a few. I would love to see pictures of everyone's kitchens too, that would be awesome. Mine probably won't be finished for a few more months.
I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts !!!!
Sandy

"You don't need alot of money to lead a rich life. Good friends and a loving family are worth their weight in gold."

For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalms 100:5
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  9:53:00 PM  Show Profile
My favorite vintage pcs in my kitchen are my two old yellow mismatched chai

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  10:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Whoops.. this is hard to type on my nook..sorry! Con't: my two old yellow mismatched chairs and a red metal stepstool that has a seat that flips up so you can climb to the top step. Another fave is a huge red metal/enamal beverage dispenser with spicket that is great for bbq's. And my collections of pedestal cake plates and aprons. Thanks for another fun topic.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

692 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
692 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  06:27:16 AM  Show Profile

Let me think. O.K. First up. In 1932 a crew from Mexico came to Wise County, Tx. to clear the land for the new Eagle Mountain Lake. In that huge undertaking was a very large orchard of walnut trees. A man took all the cut walnut trees and made lumber from them. He made all sorts of furniture. One thing he did was to give every new bride he knew a dough roller made of the walnut wood. My Mom received hers in 1938.
One of my aunts gave me a spatula when I married in 1962. I purchased a hand mixer in 1963 with two books of Scotties Stamps.
I am happy to report that I still use them. And the cook is vintage also.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page