Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What's vintage in your kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 8

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
wow, it is fun reading all these posts of who has "vintage" kitchen goodies....
I am lucky to have inherited from my grandparents old farm kitchen goodies. To start with, my favorite is the old country crock with lid.. you know the big thick crockery ones.. great grandma used to make pickles, and other old favorites with brine and spices. Then I have my granma's kitchen dishes.. fiesta ware.. love the set. Every time we set the table it's like a party. Then I have all my grandmothers hand embroidered kitchen towesl and hand made oven mits,I used her kitchen aide mixer until it blew a few years back. I love using the vintage green glassware dishes for special occasions. Im blessed. And from the looks of it.. a lot of us are.

Mary Fitzpatrick
http://www.thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mountaingirl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jennifer
Conifer CO
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  05:51:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a set of three Pyrex bowls that stack and one's red,one's green and one's blue. My dad saved all of his money when he was twelve to buy them for his mom for his parent's anniversary. Since he and my grandma are gone now they are SO dear to me! I use them all of the time and I imagine the love that is infused with anything I mix in them.
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  06:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Probbilily the dirt!

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  12:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hmmmm . . .
ME!!!!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  2:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Everything, including the kitchen and the cook.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:15:13 PM  Show Profile
This is a great topic...

I have silverware, several mixing bowls, a few plates, a whale cookie cutter (cute because our last name is Wales--sometimes misspelled with an "h"), and a stand up, cylindrical bread box that has a door that rolls along its side to open and close. These all belonged to my husband's grandmother.

And, we have a small Shipmate stove (about 2' long x about 16" tall and maybe 9" deep) in the corner that is used to warm the kitchen in winter.
It also comes in handy as an extra place to keep food warm when we serve a large group.
This came from an old boat that had to go to the boneyard. I like this little stove a lot.

Hmm...what else...I have vintage aprons and a nice collection of vintage linens, which I sometimes bring out for very special occassions.

It's nice to see all the interesting things posted. Thanks for sharing about your treasures!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  06:31:46 AM  Show Profile
My Great Grandma's aprons, Westinghouse roaster with cabinet, a yellow metal cart on wheels, the Formica table and chairs set that my Mom and Dad got as a wedding present 55 years ago, lots of my Grandma's kitchen things. The rolling pin my Great Grandpap made 100 years ago, the wooden masher my Grandpap made for my Grandma. None of it's for show, we use them all!
Oh my gosh! After reading other posts, I'm reminded of lots of other things I have. Pyrex from the 50s, my Great Grandparent's red and white salt and pepper shakers, the crock my Great Grandma made sauerkraut in....lots of things handed down.
----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Aug 10 2011 06:36:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  07:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh! And I have my Grandma's board that she used to knead bread on.

Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Mixing bowls, small Franciscan plates and bowls, some vintage linens, a bottle of wine, and probably some cheese in the back of the fridge!
Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  2:33:50 PM  Show Profile
All of my teacups, cast iron pans, and most of my tea tins have been passed on down to me. I love searching for vintage linens too!

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page

ellimae
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

eileen
edison nj
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  09:39:46 AM  Show Profile
i collect vintage tablecloths and napkins, but most of the things in my kitchen are vintage i love old stuff, i think their made better i have alot of my babcias handmedowns for the 20s and 30s

Do as the farmgals do!
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile

A cast iron dutch oven which my grandmother bought for my mother when she married in 1947. It made roast beef for every Sunday dinner in my childhood, eaten in the dining room on the special set of blue dishes with white roses. My brother has the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  07:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
All my cast iron skillets...from my Momma, she passed in 2006 and I love using them, also her cookbook she got in 1957 or so when my parents got married. I also have alot of bowls that I use to let my homemade bread rise in, that were Momma's too...I am sure there is alot more but that is what I can think of off the top of my head. Isn't it great to have some wonderful things that bring smiles to our faces?

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  08:10:55 AM  Show Profile
Penny, you and I must be around the same age. My parents were married in 1956. My mom passed away in 2005. I had a dream about her last night and woke up crying. sigh....

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  5:53:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a whole lot of vintage things, really...but I think every time I go to Value Village, I find something "new" to remind me of "back then" lol. And I'm only going to be 32 lol. Anywho...I have a small 1 1/2 qt Pyrex casserole dish (in that green color) that is like my mom's (she had the larger size), a blue creamer & sugar bowl from a vintage-y store in town here (Pyrex too, I believe), a tablecloth from my grandma that I never remember her using - it's too small for her large table, but it looks pretty. Wooden chairs for my table, an enamel bowl with lid from my grandpa's (I was going to put chockecherries in it on the weekend, but there were none)....ummm....I have my grandma's recipes that I'm in the (very slow) process of transferring to a blog (http://grandmasfeedingthechickens.blogspot.com/), but they actually belong to my aunt. Oh! I think my favorite thing (although it's not in the kitchen) is a lamp that I found at a yard sale :).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

lanikyea
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Lani
Clayton New Mexico
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:33:09 PM  Show Profile
After 36 years of marriage and having been passed along old kitichen necessities when I first left home for graduate school you can find nearly all my kitchen things exept the microwave and a couple of modern composite tools are all vintage. A lot of my cooking pans are cast iron and I have a set of 1950s copper bottom Revere pots. My kitchen table is from the late 1800s and handmade by New Mexican furniture maker. The chairs are those wire chairs from my grandfather's drug store. These are my favorite kitchen things. I feel the generations of family everymoment in my kitchen using the tools so many women before me found essential.

"If you stumble make it part of your dance"
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile
The cast iron pans I use most were my mother's before I was born. In the '60's and '70's she was very hip, and got rid of or sold off all her 'married lady' jewelry and pearls and silver... but she kept the pans.I use them more than any others. Also a couple of hand-held graters, including a little rotary one, and some measuring cups and spoons I grew up with. Probably the funniest are some old wooden utensils. They belonged to my mother during her 'African roots' phase, and one had a person's head carved on it, the other had a rhino. Neither is exactly recognizable now, and the serving fork has about two tines... still work for spaghetti, so they get a lot of use!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  4:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Suzanne, It does sound like we are....I'm sorry that you had a dream that made you cry, but I understand I have those too and DH has to wake me from them sometimes....It's nice to meet you and see we have a little something in common.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

hummingbirdjoy
True Blue Farmgirl

1217 Posts

Linda
Washington State
USA
1217 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  1:11:31 PM  Show Profile
A set of hand crocheted trivets that my mother gave me some
years ago which her mother had made for her one Christmas. They
are red on the edges and cream colored in the center. They have
never been used as they meant so much to my dear mom she just
couldn't bring herself to use them. They are very intricate and
I'm so glad they were preserved and handed down to me.

What I make with my
hands, I give with my heart ....
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Besides myself....hehe!!!.....let me see.....my two china cabinets full of vintage dishes, tea cups etc...my Grandmother's cake plate and vase....

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl66092
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tracey
Wellsville Kansas
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  7:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgirl66092 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ellimae

i collect vintage tablecloths and napkins, but most of the things in my kitchen are vintage i love old stuff, i think their made better i have alot of my babcias handmedowns for the 20s and 30s

Do as the farmgals do!

what are babicias? I have never heard that word/
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl66092
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Tracey
Wellsville Kansas
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  7:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgirl66092 a Yahoo! Message
Above my cabinets I have hung up wooden handled utensils. Also have my first ever auction purchase: a crock cookie jar complete with lid an bail.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  06:32:05 AM  Show Profile
I got a cast iron skillet at an estate sale a couple weeks ago. I cleaned it and reseasoned it and have been using it almost daily. I like that I can keep a good kitchen tool working after old hands had used it for decades. That's why I have lots of my Great Grandma's, Grandma's and Mom's things as well. It keeps the home spirit flame going.

Go to Top of Page

SunnyJam
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Jamie
Seattle WA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  8:32:51 PM  Show Profile
For a while I've been collecting clear glassware and recently got into candlewick. Well, for my birthday last month my grandma presented me with these salt and pepper shakers. They were a wedding gift to her in 1952. (And she and my grandpa are still going strong!) I said that I couldn't take her gift but she insisted. I can't express how touched I was. To me, this is better than fine china any day!

Farmgirl Sister #2504
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  05:09:40 AM  Show Profile
I have my great grandmothers Comal/Cast Iron Griddle. A few of my mothers pink Pyrex pieces and her rolling pin that she received for a wedding gift in 1956. I collect Blue Oxford Stoneware. Lots of other things, but those are my prize possessions.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://smallfreckleddog.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page