Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Recipes for yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipes for yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant Next Topic  

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  1:47:34 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I just bought fresh squash, zucchini, and eggplant at our little rural farmer's market. ALso bought freshly ground cornmeal (not genetic engineering here!) and will buy some fresh yard eggs tomorrow morning.

Any recipes for these goodies? Simple is best for me.

Connie

cozycottage

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile
It just happened I am working on a summer squash recipe sheet for my farmers market customers tommorrow so here are some...

Zucchini Parmesan Supreme 1 medium-sized zucchini, sliced 1/8-inch thick
1 large tomato, peeled and sliced
Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 /2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a deep-sided baking dish, layer 1/2 of the sliced zucchini; place tomato slices over zucchini. Season with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic; layer remaining zucchini slices over the top. Spread grated parmesan cheese over the top and sprinkle with thyme. Spread chopped tomatoes onto top of cheese and sprinkle bread crumbs onto top of mixture. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until zucchini is soft. Remove from oven and serve.

Baked Pasta with Zucchini and Mozzarella
3/4 pound pasta (fusilli, orecchiette or conchiglie)
5 small zucchini cut into 1/2-inch slices
Salt and pepper
1 (28 ounces) can italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
8 black olives, sliced
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 tsp fresh rosemary sprigs
1/2 pound Mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
Cook pasta in boiling salted water. In a large frying pan, heat oil and saute zucchini until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to an oiled shallow casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. When pasta is almost cooked, drain and add to zucchini. Add tomatoes, olives, Parmesan, rosemary and 1/2 of the mozzarella. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper if desired and gently mix together. Cover with the remaining mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted and the top slightly browned, about 15 minutes.

Squash Fritters with Tomato and Goat Feta Topping
1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini or summer squash
1 tsp salt
1 medium clove garlic, peeled, chopped
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 TBL chopped thyme
1/2 cup flour
2 to 4 TBL olive oil

Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini into a medium bowl. Add the salt, thyme, garlic, pepper, and eggs. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 Tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart. Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more.

Tomato and Goat Feta Topping
3 medium tomato-diced
6 oz goat feta cheese
2 cloves garlic-minced
1 TBL tarragon
1/4 cup balsamic
2 tsp salt

Place diced tomato in bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix. Allow to stand approximately 15-20 min. Add tarragon, garlic, balsamic, feta and spoon onto hot fritters. Enjoy!

Stuffed Summer Squash
1 medium yellow summer squash
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced parsley
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon fresh minced sage
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon fresh minced thyme

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove and discard stem ends of the squash. Slice the squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds and place the halves side-by-side on a baking sheet. Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Fill the hollows in the squash evenly with the cheese mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.

Serves 2.

Summer squash fries
Vegetable oil - 1" depth, heated until just before smoking
Yellow squash, cut in 1/8 to 1/4-inch slices
1 cup buttermilk
Mixture of:
1/2 yellow cornmeal
1/2 all-purpose flour
Salt to taste

Soak squash in buttermilk to cover, at least 5 minutes. Dredge in cornmeal, flour, salt mixture (or use a zip-lock bag and shake until coated).

Fry in vegetable oil until golden. Turn and fry until lightly golden on the other side. Transfer to paper towels to drain and salt lightly while still hot.

Serves 2 to 3.

Marinated Summer Squash with Basil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
6 medium garlic cloves
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until oil just begins to smoke. Place double layer of paper towels on cookie sheet for draining.

Add 5 to 6 squash strips to hot oil, being careful not to crowd skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until strips are golden brown, turning over once with tongs. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining squash strips.

In a small bowl, combine garlic, basil, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.

Place one-fourth of the squash strips in the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate. Sprinkle one-fourth of the basil mixture evenly over the squash; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the vinegar. Repeat layering 3 more times with remaining squash, basil mixture, and vinegar.

Cover pie plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Serves 12 as an appetizer.

Braised Summer Squash with Potatoes & Tomato
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds zucchini and/or yellow squash, sliced 3/4-inch thick
1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved and sliced 1/3-inch thick
1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons coarsely chopped celery leaves
1/2 tablespoon finely chopped basil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Sea salt
1/4 cup boiling water
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan or deep skillet. Add the squash, potatoes, tomato, onion, celery leaves, basil and red pepper and season with salt. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are barely tender, about 25 minutes.

Add the boiling water, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes longer. Season with salt and serve hot or at room temperature with Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4.

Lemony Summer squash
1 pound summer squash
1 tablespoon walnut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 dried rosemary, crumbled
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Slice squash in 1/4-inch rounds. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet and cook garlic for 1 minute. Add squash and cook, stirring gently, until tender (about 4 minutes). Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.

Grilled Summer Squash
A great idea for your next backyard barbecue.

2 medium summer squash
Vegetable spray
Dill or lemon pepper

Slice squash lengthwise (into long strips). Spray each side of squash strips with vegetable spray. Place slices directly onto warmed grill. Remove from grill when squash is tender but still firm. Place squash in serving dish and sprinkle with dill and/or lemon pepper.

(Grilled summer squash are also good sprinkled with lemon juice, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes.)

Serves 4.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Shaklee Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Angel
Porter,Tx. (N.Houston area)
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  3:35:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a great & pretty easy casserole recipe for yellow squash. It was told to me by a really good friend of mine, Debbie from Connecticut so I don't have it written besides my own notes to remember it. But, it's always a big hit when I make it.

Squash Casserole

Squash, sliced
Onions, chopped or diced
American cheese slices
Bread crumbs
Parsley,
Salt & Pepper

Spray casserole dish with pam for easier cleaning.
Slice squash & start to layer on bottom of dish.
Then layer with chopped onions, some bread crumbs, parsley & cheese (I put a dot or two of butter) season with salt & pepper.
Continue to layer with squash, onions, bread crumbs, cheese, & seasonings to top of dish & finish with cheese then bread crumbs.
Cover & bake @ 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on casserole dish size, cook till tender.
Remove cover last 10 minutes.

Good Luck and Enjoy!! Angel
Have a great weekend, everyone.

P.S. I'm sure you could always use your own version of ingred. to your own tastes.

Sharing & Choosing Healthier Alternatives
Checkout www.shaklee.net/allen

Edited by - Shaklee Lady on Jul 14 2006 11:21:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  5:13:04 PM  Show Profile
I use small zuchinni to make my bread and butter pickles. You cannot tell they are not cukes if sliced thinly and made from your favorite recipe. If you need mine I will post it. I never use my cukes for bread and butters..always the zuchinni..the secret is to use them small though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  8:43:04 PM  Show Profile
All of these recipes - Yummmm!!!! I can't wait to pick up some squash, myself!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  12:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing ladies! These all sound soooo yummy! Can't wait to try them out!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Shaklee Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Angel
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  07:50:14 AM  Show Profile
I just remembered a fairly easy recipe I have for zucchini bread, similiar to a bananna type bread, a tea bread or snack bread, I guess you could say. Lots of folks can't believe it's made with zucchini, sometimes I have them taste it, before telling. Cause many folks wouldn't try it otherwise,& are pleasantly surprised, while others are familiar with how good it is. After this weekend, when I get back home I'll put it on, I have an actual recipe for that one.
Have a good day ladies, till later. Angel

Edited by - Shaklee Lady on Jul 15 2006 07:51:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

A big thanks to everyone. I am at work now, but I can't wait to get to the kitchen! I wasn't hungry before, but now I am starving!

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  6:57:21 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite ways to eat Yellow squash, zucchini & Eggplant is to chop them into pieces toss with a little olive oil,Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Then grill them. I have a indoor grill, but you could use a outdoor one. You could make kabobs if you wanted. I just keep it simple and don't skewer them. Make a side of rice and you have a great meal!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  8:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm gonna try a bunch of these - thanks for posting them. I also just like them plain, simmered in a little water then put on a little butter and/or salt. When
picked young and tender you don't even have to peel them. I think I have had them one time when a friend used zucchini for the
apples in a pie - I couldn't tell there weren't apples in the pie. Just plain good eating. Yikes, all this is makin me hungry!!!

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Jul 15 2006 8:40:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  8:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
i like to just batter mine in egg and cracker then fry them in the old skillet. probabaly not the healthiest but sooooooo yummy!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  10:50:35 PM  Show Profile
That is how my grandma always cooked them..yum!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  10:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow thanks for all the great recipes. It is so fun to get new ones. Thanks for sharing

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm.... I love Zuchinni and somewhat less yellow summer squash. I thought I would toss my receipes in.

Squash and Tomatoes

2-3 small squash - sliced
2 tomatoes - peeled, sliced
1/4 cup onion - finely chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
2-4 Tblsp Butter (the real stuff no margarine here)
approx. 1/2 tsp basil
sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper and green pepper

Prepare all ingredients ahead of time. Place squash and tomato together in prep bowl. Onion and Garlic in a separate prep bowl. Melt butter in skillet over low heat so as not to burn. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion just begins to become transparent. Add squash and tomato. Stir fry for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle approximately 1/2 tsp. of basil over squash and tomato. Then I very lightly sprinkle, grind over the dish, a mixture of green and black peppercorns. Cover and cook until squash is the tenderness you desire. I like to cover with a 8x8x2 pan in my 10 inch skillet after mounding in the center instead of cover then I get more of a stir fry flavor while steaming. We do not add salt while cooking in our home unless the receipe really needs it, this one doesn't.

This receipe is my own, through trial and error I finally perfected it. It came about because I was tired of just boiling squash. It's just as good with zuchinni!

The next receipe is to die for. I call it Dee-Dee's Zuchinni Soup, and my grandmother called it the "Bishop's Wife's Soup." I prefer to call it after my grandmother as she perfected after her first huge blunder with it. Her blunder was to use a unprocessed cheese so don't go there. This is a microwave dish, and my grandmother told me it does not work on the stove top at all. If you follow the directions to a tee you will be well rewarded. This soup freezes well (no canning here) and you will love this warmed in the winter when there is no zuchinni from the garden

Dee-Dee's Zuchinni Soup

2 lbs small fresh Zuchinni, cut in 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes - do not peel
** cover and cook in 2 Quart pyrex with 1/4 cup water until done
but not mushy approximately 8 minutes, stirring at 4 minutes
1 med. onion, diced & sauteed in 2 Tblsp butter until clear
** add to zuchinni and stir, then puree in blender
8 oz Velveeta Cheese
1 1/2 cups Half and Half Cream
** melt Velveeta and Cream in Microwave gently until smooth
Add the above ingredients and whisk to incorporate
Then add:
2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp white pepper (use cayenne to taste at Christmas time)
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
Stir again with wire whisk. Serve hot or cold with sour cream and garnish with a sprig of curled Parsley. Re-heating should be done in microwave only. Never allow to boil.

Now for some more background on this soup. Written just as my grandmother wrote it for me. My grandmother, Dee-Dee, was a true gourmet cook. As equipment editor for American Home Magazine from 1946-1957 she would test kitchen equipment using all sorts of receipes that she loved. Living in NYC she truly experienced the best of dining the country had to offer. She always told me, 'A way to a man's heart is through his stomach.' Dee-Dee "hated" what she called fake food, and Velveeta fell in that catagory. Thus when she asked the Bishop's wife for the receipe she couldn't bring herself to use the Velveeta. Dee-Dee told me, 'I threw the awlful glop out!' when she made it with a mild cheddar. She went reluctantly to the Velveeta and did a little more tweaking to the receipe. So actually it really is hers. Her only receipe that ever contained Velveeta. I would have it chilled in the summer and hot at Christmas time with her. It so scrumptious either way. When I met my husband, I asked if he like Zuchinni. He said absolutely not. Good thing I asked ahead of time, two weeks later on a cold March afternoon I served him a bowl. Two bowls after that he asked what it was. I said Zuchinni soup. He still gobbles it down along with our son who doesn't like Zuchinni either. My grandmother would make a batch of soup and freeze what she didn't use. She always froze it in pint containers. She said it would not freeze right in anything bigger. I've never tried, I've always just trusted her statement. I learned a long time ago to take what she said about cooking to heart. She was never wrong.

Finally, this is another pitch for a great Chocolate Zuchinni Cake of all things. I'm not handing out this receipe as it is copy writed in Too Many Tomatoes, Squash, Beans, and Other Good Things....a cookbook for when your garden explodes by Lois M. Landau and Laura G. Meyers. I love to pitch this cookbook because it is on my list for every kitchen, the receipes are all great! There is another one in there for Broiled Summer Squash which is to die for. There are no less then 28 receipes for the summer squashes and then a section on what to do with those that get too big. You can find Too Many Tomatoes... on eBay and Amazon at reasonable prices used.

Enjoy your squash this summer!

Thank you to all who shared theirs, trust they will all be tried! I can't wait as there is squash in the fridge.

Kim

Busy in the kitchen today cooking chicken stock!

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Edited by - santa_gertrudis_gal on Jul 19 2006 1:37:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shaklee Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Angel
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2006 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Okay, let me try to quickly get this posted, as I had mentioned before, it's for:

Zucchini Bread

Beat 3 eggs until light & foamy.

Add & mix well:
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
3 tsp. vanilla
2 cups peeled & grated zucchini

Sift together:
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon

Blend together & add 2/3 cup chopped nuts,(if you like them)
Pour into 2 greased loaf pans & bake @ 325 degrees
for 1 hour (or more) until done.
Remove at once.
(Can freeze when cool, if wanted for later)

I've got a couple other recipes I'll try & post at some time, but right now the lawnmover, rose garden & vegetable garden is calling me before the rains they say come in. Later, have a great week everyone..enjoy. Angel

Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I would love the recipe! Sounds great! Thanks, Lara in MT

quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I use small zuchinni to make my bread and butter pickles. You cannot tell they are not cukes if sliced thinly and made from your favorite recipe. If you need mine I will post it. I never use my cukes for bread and butters..always the zuchinni..the secret is to use them small though.

Jenny in Utah

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipes for yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page