True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile
kinda scary...

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  8:01:21 PM  Show Profile
MaryBeth, I just recieved my gama lids and buckets today. DH was shocked that i didnt get the buckets at homedepot and just ordered the lids. But everything is good...and he is fine with it.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  8:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Great Deborah. Do you like them? I love using mine.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  11:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Deborah any bucket will work for food storage but if its not issued as food safe I would keep the flour,ect in a bag or the paper it comes in inside the buckets...I have the 5 gal food safe buckets with the gamma lids & I have stored my ground flours, cornmeal ect in it with bay leafs....I keep the buckets in my cool basement until I need them then bring them into the kitchen, use & then return the buckets to the basement. I have flours now that are over a year old & still good....for those of you who don't know Bay leafs keep bugs ect out of the flours....I even put it in with oatmeal, cornflour, & any other kinds of grains. Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:03:30 PM  Show Profile
So, forgive me for not knowing, but where can a person read up on the things that may happen? What are we talking here? Electicity shortages? Food shortages? I want to be prepared but I am only getting bits and pieces of things and can't really figure all this out. Feel free to email me or whatever. I just want to know what is going on so I can prepare my family. I guess living in a rural area, I forget that I am NOT safe all the time and that things will eventually effect us here, although they hit the larger areas quicker.

Thanks so much Farmgirl Sisters!!
Mandy

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Interesting....and I just read this article on Yahoo the other day http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110220/ts_afp/scienceuspopulationfood

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  10:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda ~ For me there are several reasons I am storing food.

1. The cost of food is dramatically increasing and reports ( including the USDA) are saying we have some potentially big price increases coming our way this year. Buying up food items now seems smart.

2. If food increases just 10% I have a better return on investment by buying food items now than putting the money in savings.

3. IF the dollar continues to loose value then prices could go even higher

4. Emergency's happen. If snow, tornadoes, earthquakes or any other type of emergency takes place I have food, water & medication to carry my family through.

5. As we pay more & more for other items ( electricity, clothing, gas, ect) we have have less for food. Purchasing in bulk reduces over all food cost.

6. Of course there is always the possibility that we are looking at more than just a 10-20 percent increas in food cost IF the perfect storm comes into play ( problems in the middle east, droughts, floods, increased oil prices, the dollar keeps decreasing in value, ect) it could, potentially play a BIG part in much higher food prices. I know a lot of people are already struggling to just get by

So that is why I am storing up food. I see it as an investment. A way to save money too. Plus if anything happens I have an ample supply of the good ole basics to take care of my family

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Tammy!! I am certainly going to be looking at things differently. Like I said before, things hit us more slowly than they do in other parts of the states. But, it's never unwise to be unprepared. I talked to my mom and we are going to set up some food storage in the basement of her house. I would have to ge to town to stock up with stuff from there, but I don't have room for much storage in our house. It's a better plan than nothing and there will certainly always be someone going in at some point to pick up my groceries.
Thanks so much!!

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile
this is really interesting

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/you-call-this-an-economic-recovery-44-million-americans-on-food-stamps-and-10-other-reasons-why-the-economy-is-simply-not-getting-better

Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile
I have been asking around here in Florida and everyone here saids they have not heard any thing of a food shortage but have heard that food prices are going up. I have also not heard of the food shortage. Hum am I missing something. Should I grow a bigger garden this year?

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  8:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Dorinda, I'd say "yes" :-) Because of freezes this winter, many crops were destroyed. I just heard today that OJ from your state is going up by leaps and bounds because of poor production. Tomatoes are getting hard to find as well because so many got frozen. Another issue that nobody is talking about is the price of corn. It has more than doubled and the reason is really dumb. The government is giving money incentives for farmers to produce corn for ethanol and not for food and then to companies to take the corn and produce the ethanol. It is removing a boatload of corn from the market. Corn is a staple in MANY countries and so there is a greater and greater demand with less and less production for food. Wheat has also more than doubled and both of these items then affect the price of everything from our meats to our frozen pizzas! But worse than that, the countries who literally depend on these things for survival are not able to meet their needs. It's just a frustrating situation that doesn't have to be this way.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  9:17:57 PM  Show Profile
I found this to be a really interesting site on the food issue.

http://backyardfoodproduction.com/why-your-grocery-bill-will-double

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Here is a good link to a FOX News report on the food shortage and price increases....http://yourdaddy.net/2011/01/25/fox-reports-massive-food-shortages-this-year-2011/

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:31:44 AM  Show Profile
i am enjoying all the info here for sure. i watched the backyard videos. i put my hope and future in God. it is a good thing too since man surely is not directing his steps well. even with a strong spiritual faith it is scary. Gods word tells us to not worry.he would not say that unless we needed to be reminded. still its hard. here we put up each year anyway. our faith teaches us to have an emergency pack ready. we try to be prepared here. winters are always hard to get through. the bible warns of food shortages earthquakes one after another. it is all heading toward a good thing. so we try to be prepared for coyotes. so to speak. many of us are able to grow and reap. what a blessing it is. the videos scare me. being older and getting tired and seeing the challenges ahead well not doing the happy dance for sure. Jesus and Jah promised the meek will inherit the earth. God said i did not create the earth for nothing. i want to live in the paradise promised. i love the earth. so i try to do the right thing. to share with you God loves you when you do not love yourself. He looks at our good not our failures. he also says in proverbs a capable wife who can find? well He does expect us to be planning working doing the farmgirl attitude. i love mjf for this reason. we are aware through the speakings of many like minded girls. learning everyday about eachother and the world and earth we live on. so we are in preparedness mode. not fun but real. so canning gardening doing the whole food thing bigger this year for sure. learned to can butter from belles cow milk on here a awhile back. thanks girls for letting me be a part of a fine group of folks. ok off the band wagon now. well thats my story and i am sticking to it. LOL happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:12:50 AM  Show Profile
well i posted this and then saw the news of the earthquake in japan so sad. so ca. and ore. are getting ready for the big waves.i hope our coastal girls stay safe. sending love out there in this sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Stocking up on supplies is important but stocking up on knowledge is just as important. I have a binder full of home remedies and recipes. On my blog, I feature a lot of recipes for homemade ingredients - for example: sourcream, butter, butter olive oil spread, alternative to cooking spray, homemade household cleaners, etc. I use these recipes now because they are more natural and cut back on chemicals but the know how will definitely come in handy in emergencies.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:39:23 AM  Show Profile
I just read an interesting article, that stated that Americans waste 40% of their food! So with food prices going up and up and up, who can afford that???? So not only is it important to have a good pantry of staples but to eat what you produce and buy. I think that it is important especially for farm girls, to try and produce as much food as possible on our own. But also to start really kicking into high gear on canning, drying, etc! Barter in your community if possible, raise a few hens for eggs if possible and just develop good frugal, food wise habits.... our families did it in days long past during hard times, we can do it again.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile
True Blue Farmgirl, I have a binder and also 2 milk crates that I am going to have to go through to get rid of some of the things that are not necssary to have now. But I love to collect things to help me and my family if things get any worse.
How do yo make butter olive oil spread?
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  06:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Just read in the paper this morning that 40% of this nation's corn crop is mandated by the government to go to ethanol production. 40%!!! I knew a lot of the crop was going to ethanol production-did not know it was a federal government mandate to force 40% of it for e-gas. No wonder beef prices are going up at such a rate.If you can, please, please work on your food storage for your families.I live in a small house but the luxury of a walk in pantry. But I also have some nifty "tables" in my living room that are gracefully draped with table clothes to the floor. If you lift up their skirts, you discover buckets filled with sugar, beans, rice all sealed up in those great buckets. Buckets are stacked two high and just right for holding coffee cups or books next to our recliners. There is always room for storage.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  7:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, it's really easy. 1 stick of butter to 1/3 cup LIGHT olive oil or canola oil. When I say "light" I mean not heavy. Look for the olive oil with the lightest flavor. Anyway, put this all in your blender or food processor and beat it until it is pretty liquidy. Pour the mixture into whatever you want to store it and put it in the frig. It will harden back up. If you'd like pictures, you can go to my website blog at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=2920

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  9:20:08 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I will be doing this you betcha!!
Thanks
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Glad to help Deborah!

I've been chewing on all that is going on in Japan regarding disaster and storage and all that jazz. I just wrote a post at the blog about it. Just felt that it was something, in love, that needed saying as a reminder to me and all of us.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I was reading your blog and couldnt help notice that the next topic was you canning chicken. Can you tell me if it is raw or cooked when you can it...And do you need to use a pressure cooker or the water bath method??
Thanks
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  5:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Meat must be PRESSURE CANNED ABSOLUTELY!
I am also curious if the bones turn to mush when they are pressure canned. I used to pressure can chicken for my dogs (not in jars, just n the canner with water) & the bones would turn to mush, which made it nice because then I mashed up the whole thing & fed to my Danes.
Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  5:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, in that particular blog post I am using the raw pack method because I wanted the chicken left on the bone and it cooks to totally tender while canning. Any meat product must be pressure canned and if you are interested in that process, I linked to a previous post in my canning chicken post that shows how to load the pressure canner. Thanks for asking! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Food Shortages & Prices Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page