Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 To swift or not to swift? That is the question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic To swift or not to swift? That is the question Next Topic
Page: of 4

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:48:12 PM  Show Profile
I had know idea Proctor and Gamble did animal testing, I will not purchase any products they distribute anymore. Also just to let you know, The Mars candy company's funds and supports animal testing. I boycotted them years ago because of this. I miss my peanut M & M's but I can't eat them with a clear conscious.
Go to Top of Page

prairie
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Anna
Plainfield IL
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  7:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Shopping can be difficult. I am also vegan, so reading labels is a way of life for me. I also boycott China. This country skins dogs and cats alive for their fur and passes it off as fox fur to us Americans. We have to stop trusting large corporations, and start doing our own research. What we should be looking for on labels is, that this products ingredients where not tested on animals, or it will say cruelty free, and the product is free of any animal ingredients. To sum it up, if it's not vegan, organic, or if it's one of the many companies I boycott, or if it's made in China I go without. You don't even want to get me started on what is in most dog food :(

Anna

Anna, The Vegan Farmgirl #595

Being a vegan saves over 100 animals a year.

Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  9:03:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! Now I know what to get my sister for Christmas 2011....a Shark Steamer! :)

#8206;"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  11:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Anna, no joke! Large corporations lie like crazy. They do not care how many of us they knock off so long as the profits keep rolling in. China has a history of not caring about humans along with animals. They are just plain greedy.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  1:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I don't use the wet-jet on my hardwood floors and have quit buying the dry pads. I was able to find some microfiber cloths at my dollar tree. I cut them in half and just fasten them in the swiffer holes. I dust mop, wash, store, and go again! It's saved me a ton of money...

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

eriko
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

barb
old bridge nj
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  12:49:54 PM  Show Profile
I just replaced my swiffer after it finally broke. To be honest, I hated it. I too suffered from itchy feet after using it. Never seemed to bother my dogs but...
I (and my husband) loved the convenience so we replaced it with a rubbermade reveal mop, same principal but you fill the bottle with whatever you like (even just water) and it has washable microfiber pads. I also made some pads out of old towels and they work great. With 2 dogs and 2 gardeners we have lots of dirty floors here.
Peas,
Barb
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  5:15:47 PM  Show Profile
In walmart they have a steam vac for 69$....

http://tinasartisticramblings.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyTee?ref=pr_shop
Go to Top of Page

eraumom
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Lisa
Herrmiston OR
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  4:12:35 PM  Show Profile
I use the steamer, and love it. But for my dry swiffer, (and my friend uses them wet), I have crocheted a swiffer. You can turn it inside out and use it that way before it has to be washed, and its a whole lot easier than a broom, and cheaper and greener than the swiffer cloths
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Also, ladies, I've seen quite a few steamers on cheapcycle or freecycle.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile
bump

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile
We used the swifter and my cats wre licking it up off of the floor. It did upset their stomaches. The scent of the cleaner gave me a head ache. I would much rather use a steam cleaner. The cats licked the floor after it was dry so I don't know if there is till a residue and that caused the upset tummies.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all the info. I have a 4 pound Chorkie, who is my life and he has been coughing way too often and his little eyes water all the time and it all started after the swifter. I hate to be wasteful but it's going in the garbage!!!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  7:49:20 PM  Show Profile
..another point of view..

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy ...Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Not exactly what you were asking, but I just LOVE my steam mop, and all you use is water in it! It's great! The temp it makes the water is what steralizes when it mops.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Karrieann, thanks for snoping that!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  08:58:53 AM  Show Profile
I think that I will stick to the hot soap and water with scrap fleece that I use with my old swiffer handle. I was the scrap and all over.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

queen-of-denial
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jackie
Coralville Iowa
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I have one myself, but I haven't used it in a long time. It's just sitting in my closet. Thank you Tina for this post. If I start using it again I will use my own formula. :D

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
"is a fart and a sneeze; a 'sneeze-fart' or a 'fart-sneeze'?"

http://queen-of-denial.blogspot.com/
http://www.grajea.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  1:13:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I bought a Shark Steamer.

Alee, on the strength of your recommendation, I bought one of these too. OMG, it's fantastic. I can't thank you enough for bringing it up here. I've already got two of my friends to buy them, too. So now would be a good time to buy stock in Shark! :-)
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  1:39:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jackie, I am so glad it has helped out. We love our dogs and we want to give the best we can back to nature. By the way my boyfriend says my MJ farm handle should have been queen - of - denial. It is our little joke :)
Cherime Thats what I do :)
Lisa that is a great and crafty thing to do you should make them and sell them :)
Great Ideas Girls.

http://tinasartisticramblings.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyTee?ref=pr_shop
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:49:52 PM  Show Profile
The shark steamer is sounding better and better. Can anyone give me advice on which model works best? Or, has anyone used the steamer from Wal Mart? Any advice will be appreciated! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, I thought the $69 model I bought was the best. I frankly didn't see much advantage to the other two, which sell for $99 and $129, respectively. I don't remember seeing on the packages for the more expensive ones that they have the nice feature that lets you push a button on the handle to make the whole machine bend in half at a 90-degree angle to go easily under free-standing islands and other obstacles. I might be wrong about that. Anyway, I really love mine. (I got the cheapest one.)

Edited by - Rosemary on Apr 06 2011 12:33:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  5:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Mara, thanks so much! I think I'm going to get one and the standard model will probably be just right! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Mary, I'm no big fan of Wal-Mart, but I have to say I saw the same Shark model in our local Wal-Mart today for $59.

Edited by - Rosemary on Apr 06 2011 7:41:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Mara! I feel the same way as you do about Wal Mart. I try to shop elsewhere, but sometimes they are the only choice.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  05:05:47 AM  Show Profile
Also, Freecycle and Cheapcycle post these quite often. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic To swift or not to swift? That is the question Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page