Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 To swift or not to swift? That is the question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic To swift or not to swift? That is the question Next Topic
Page: of 4

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Well I had to share this because this was what is turning me around to using all natural products to clean my home.
I just purchased the Swifter Jet floor cleaner a couple of weeks back and cleaned my floors a couple of times. We noticed our dog licking the floors all of the time. Then when I had bathed him he started shedding pretty bad.
For some reason my boyfriend Jack said he has been doing that since you purchased that swifter. So we checked the ingredients. Well it does not tell you exactly what is in the product so I called the company and they had a message saying that the product was safe for pets so please ignore the rumors that it was unsafe. So we then goggled at and there where people saying that this product killed their dogs or caused liver damage. There are people who still said that it was a rumor.
Now I feel that if a company is confident in their product they would disclose the ingredients in the product.
Our dog is ok but I did throw out the liquid in the container and filled it with my own natural cleaner of water, basil oil and patchouli oil. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

www.FineArtByT.com
http://tinasartisticramblings.blogspot.com/

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! My mom-in-law has one and I fell in love over our Christmas holiday with her swifter. I have been putting off buying one of the things due to short funds. I have two dogs and several inside cats and I am so glad that I read your post! I still want a swifter, but I will have to come up with a good home made cleaning solution. I don't want any of my fuzzy friends to sicken.

Thanks again for the heads up =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  4:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Annika, I used the same bottle that comes with it and used pliers to open the bottle top, removed the liquid and replaced it with my own natural cleaner. I do love how it sprays the cleaning salution and picks up the dirt. It is so much easier. So you can try and do that. Im not sure if the pads are biodegradeable.
T

quote:
Originally posted by Annika

Oh my! My mom-in-law has one and I fell in love over our Christmas holiday with her swifter. I have been putting off buying one of the things due to short funds. I have two dogs and several inside cats and I am so glad that I read your post! I still want a swifter, but I will have to come up with a good home made cleaning solution. I don't want any of my fuzzy friends to sicken.

Thanks again for the heads up =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

www.FineArtByT.com

Edited by - SweetTsEarthlyDelights on Feb 10 2011 4:49:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  8:26:26 PM  Show Profile
They do make steamers for floors that are just as easy as a swifter but you don't need chemicals. I saw them in all the stores around the holidays when we went to visit my family in the city. They are made for wood,tile,laminate floors.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  8:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Several companies also make micofiber swiffer type products. My sister uses one a lot. She has a spray bottle that she just squites ahead of the "swiffer" then washes the pad. That way you could use your less toxic home made cleaners and wash the pad.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  04:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bought a Shark Steamer. It's about the same size as a swiffer wet jet and you don't have to use any cleaner at all. Sometimes I spray my floor with a vinegar and water mix, but it really isn't necessary. The steamer gets up everything! It's amazing. I highly recommend them!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  05:26:47 AM  Show Profile
I love my steam cleaner as well. I have a Haan and it gets the floors clean with no chemicals. Makes me feel better with a little one around.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:40:31 AM  Show Profile
There is info about the ingredients in the swiffer floor cleaner and it said not safe for pets and children. A friend of mine sent me the info last year after her pet died. The Vet confirmed it was the swiffer cleaner.

I use the Eureka steam mop and it kills the germs and gets up the dirt too. I also use the Fuller brush micro-fiber floor duster that can be used dry or wet. It is fantastic. Check out my website to order it.

I sometime will spray the Shaklee basic-h on the floors where I see black spots to loosen before I use the steam mop. It does pick up more dirt when I do that.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:46:41 AM  Show Profile
I got rid of mine after my vet told me too....and, whatever was in the solution and my floor just did NOT mix. After using the wet jet in the kitchen, it created this sort of "film" or something and I always ended up slipping and falling!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  11:36:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow Marjean I am so sorry for your friend that is so scary and imagine if you have a toddler crawling on the floor. I am going to probably just buy the wasable pad one or even better yet the steamer that sounds alot safer. It is so scary that you cant trust these companys to be honest with the consumers.

www.FineArtByT.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Everything that doesn't say organic is not safe for you really! Even the natural stuff has an ingredient that is not good for you. You'll be so happy with your choice.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  6:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree Marsha about organic! Even something that says 100% natural could very likely contain GMO ingredients.

I love my Shark Steamer. Sure it costs more up front but will save loads in the long run. The pads wash easily and I don't need to use cleaners.

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  2:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love my shark steamer. We never need to buy cleaners, the pads wash up so well, they look almost new, the steam sanitizes, and things smell cleaner after steaming. We liked it so much, we bought a shark hand held steamer, works so great on grout, toilets, shower doors... no cleaners needed, maybe occasional veniger and water mix. We love it, and all the dogs are safe without question of chemicals.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on Feb 13 2011 2:13:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  08:48:09 AM  Show Profile
I would suggest if you have the money to invest in a steam mop. Before the holidays I invested in a Bissell Steam Mop and love it!!!! You can purchase the distilled mixture from the company to use in the mop or just use water. I was skeptical at first because I honestly didn't think super hot water would clean our floors...but it does and more......I will never go back to a mop & bucket or swiffer type product again. I do broom or stick vaccum before I mop to get any loose particles....check out the Bissell or Shark website for more info. I do believe it is the better way to clean.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  5:59:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a Shark & LOVE it!!! I use distilled water, to help avoid mineral buil-up. I never thought about adding essential oils to the water for some smelly-goodness, like Tina mentioned in her homemade cleaner.....may have to try that :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  06:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Is the product also not good after it has dried? I use the swifter in the bathrooms and shut the door until everything is dry. Then the dogs and cat can not walk on it while it is wet. Good or still bad? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Barbara- my understanding is that it leaves a residue that if the animals lick can be toxic. So if they walk on it and then lick their paws or ever lick the floor whatever reason- it could possibly make them sick. It seems that there is a lot of debate about it- but I don't like the worry.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile
I clean houses for a living, and the one thing that I recommend to all my clients is to lose the swiffer. I have had two different clients tell me of allergic reactions that their children where having- almost impling that it was my "fault". I asked when the reactions where occuring- turns out that about 3 days after I was there, Mom's were using thier swiffer on their wood floors. Huh? When I pointed this out both of the mom's where like duh so sorry, the reactions for one child was a constantly runny nose, and for the other family it was itchy feet. I have quit clients that insist on using these items, as it really makes my job harder to remove the blasted film this product leaves.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  5:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank God, I saw this post, I was about to go buy a swifter. My Fur Baby is my heart and I would be devasted if she became sick because of something I bought for cleaning. I think I'll just start saving my penny's and buy a floor steamer.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy- with as much as the replacement pads and the mopping fluid plus the actual unit costs- you probably would spend the cost of at least the type of Shark steamer I have in 1-3 months! Those replacement pads are expensive!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile
I was just looking at the shark steamer on line. They have it at Bed Bath & Beyond, and of course I'll use my 20% off coupon. I like the fact that all it takes is water and I can rewash the pads too.
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Well I will invest in the steamer mop. This really scared us. Our doggie is doing fine thank god. But it truly makes me think about everything that is out there. All of these chemicals that we put in our homes. I will never not read a label again on anything. I want to lead a clean life but I am not willing to kill myself or my pets and loved ones. We have so many different diseases in this world I wonder how much are we contributing to these negative things in life. I truly want to live and make this world a better place. I think that is our duty in life as women.

www.FineArtByT.com
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  10:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara,
From what I here it still leaves a film on the floor, that the dogs, cats, or children can still get it on their paws, or feet and hands. I wouldnt even try it.
They may still lick it of there paws. :)

quote:
Originally posted by craftystranger

Is the product also not good after it has dried? I use the swifter in the bathrooms and shut the door until everything is dry. Then the dogs and cat can not walk on it while it is wet. Good or still bad? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!

www.FineArtByT.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Anna
Plainfield IL
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  06:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

My name is Anna and this is my first post on the Farmgirl Connection. I have a chapter that will be 2 years old this May, our name is the Prairie Chickadees. Reading this post about the danger of the Swiffer product prompted me to post for the first time. I am a huge animal activist, which means I boycott a lot of companies. Proctor & Gamble makes the Swiffer, and they test all their products on animals. It angers me that huge companies test on animals, let them suffer in cages until the end, and still their products are not safe for our 4-legged family members. It's very sad how large companies portray a clean image, but behind high fences and closed doors is another story.

Anna
Farmgirl #595
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile
I make baby blankets out of fleece squares so I tend to have odd fleece scraps that I use on my regular swifer sweeper and wash when done. They work great for all sorts of cleaning.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, great input on the Shark Steamer, Saving as we speak :)
Hi Anna, I know this can be a scary thing. Its wonderful that you stand up and protest the way you do. There is so much to learn.
T

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyTee?ref=pr_shop
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic To swift or not to swift? That is the question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page