Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Wrapping for gifts Next Topic
Page: of 2

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  1:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Next year we are wrapping all gifts in newspaper, with out scotch tape, and using straw bale twine to tie around them. We are going as "pioneer" as possible. It's such a good feeling to not be wasteful with our money and reuse. The paper and twine can be recycled again, after Christmas.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  5:01:05 PM  Show Profile
We use end rolls from the local newspaper office and let the girls color it. They stay busy while I make cookies and candy for everyone and the family gets really neat wrapping on their presents.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  9:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I love those ideas, girls!!! I buy white kraft paper in the shipping supplies department at our local office supply store about once a year. You get a HUGE roll for under $4. At Christmas, we just wrap gifts in white, adding bright red fabric bows that we have used and re-used over the years - they look beautiful! That paper is then recycled and used for shipping material and craft projects as needed. And I use that same paper roll for birthdays and other gift-wrapping occasions throughout the year, often decorating the paper with colorful magic marker squiggles or special drawings and designs. That under $4 purchase goes a looong way, believe me! I love it! And you can get the same size roll in brown kraft paper if you prefer - I always thought that'd be so lovely delicately tied with raffia or twine along with a sprig of flowers or herbs or pine or berries tucked underneath! I have also seen gifts wrapped in black newsprint with red bows, and that's very pretty, too. I haven't tried that yet because we use most of our newspaper in the compost, and often share it with neighbors who convert it into knots for firewood kindling, but I've thought about reserving some for Christmastime... maybe next year...we'll see. It really does look festive! And what a great way to recycle!

Merry Christmas! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Anna Mae
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Anna
Apopka FL
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile
My husband jumped at the idea of wrapping my presents in something reused this year - he used sheets of building plans (being a plumbing contractor he gets plenty of these across his desk). He even went so far as to use some of my yarn scraps instead of tape, ribbon & bows! Happy Holidays!

Anna Mae - Farmgirl #2453
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again? – Winnie the Pooh

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  8:08:33 PM  Show Profile
I made lots of bags from Christmas material and attached a "reusable gift bag" tag to them. Hopefully I'll get some back in the years to come too.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  8:35:15 PM  Show Profile
I reused some department store gift bags with some Christmas cards...punched 1 hole in each corner of the Christmas card (I used the front only) and then punched corresponding holes in the gift bag...then threaded a piece of Christmasee type fabric through the 2 holes (4 pieces in total) and tied a pretty little bow. My friend LOVED it, and in fact was going to repurpose the bag again with some other customizing that she was planning on doing.... sweet!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  2:27:00 PM  Show Profile
For anything that can fit in a box, I reuse plain white or colored boxes and reuse old ribbons. Some of my ribbon and yarn I've had since I was a little kid (and I'm headed towards 50!).
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile
For my nieces or anyone under 10 years old. I used the cartoon newspaper section. The parents love the idea.

This year I used kraft or brown paper bags and bakery twine or grosgrain polka or stripe ribbon & custom wood tags.

Once in awhile I used exclusively black/white printed papers...its all depending on the occasion.
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  7:31:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Montrose Girl

I made lots of bags from Christmas material and attached a "reusable gift bag" tag to them. Hopefully I'll get some back in the years to come too.

Best Growing

We do this in our house, too! My mom buys christmas or red & white fabric on sale and makes little square and rectangular bags of all sizes. Some are drawstring, but most just have a ribbon tacked to one seam an inch or two down to tie off the top. It is SO EASY to wrap presents at mom's house! Just find a bag that fits, pop in the present, and tie it off! Of course, then it's easier to figure out what things are than in boxes. But still. We reuse them every year, too. And they're washable.

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Moonshines
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Lorrae
Craig Co
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  8:21:45 PM  Show Profile
I use tin cans (vegggie can and number 10 tins like the gallon size) I spray paint them sometimes I mod podge my old christmas cards on them make wire handles and use them as our gift bags this works on lots of the smaller present or baked goods

Moonshines #1649

Purpose on your heart Passion in your life
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas! I am thinking about sewing up some bags specifically for presents out of leftover or yard sale cloth. :0)

Of course, around here, we save our giftbags and tissue paper, too, so I think I still have the same 20 bags for about 10 years now, lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Love these ideas.... especially the lil cans Moonshines... thanks for the info and ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile
This is the best time to be buying Christmas material. I picked up yards of it for just over $1/yard.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

CindyLous
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Cindy
Keizer OR
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  9:29:59 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to get this one going again. I shop the holiday clearance for gift wrap, ribbon and stuff that can be used for birthdays, babys and such. There are some great ideas here, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  04:37:28 AM  Show Profile
I find whole rolls of really pretty wallpaper at the thrift and use that. This is also good for scrapbooking and other crafts.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  04:50:18 AM  Show Profile
I think for us, our purpose and goal is to be extremely smart with our spending, and use what we do have, vs. buying into commercialization of the holidays. Once the present is unwrapped, is the paper even that important to the recipient? Sure wrapping paper can be recycled and reused, but if we have newspaper, why not use it? I can save the twine from my straw bales and tie them, eliminating having to buy scotch tape, another item commercialized in today's world. This year my goal is to live simple, and not get caught up in today's stereotypes and expectations and assumptions.

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  05:07:22 AM  Show Profile
I have used the newspaper before, and especially like the way the colored Sunday comics look when wrappped as a gift!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  06:46:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

I have used the newspaper before, and especially like the way the colored Sunday comics look when wrappped as a gift!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

My dad used comics to wrap gifts with years ago. I think we will also use our newspapers in our garden, placing them between rows, and then simply tilling them in at the end of the season. I hope I have some left - LOL!

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

CindyLous
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Cindy
Keizer OR
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:22:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree. Yarn scraps twisted together, fabric scraps to wrap or tie, burlap, twine, maybe with pinecones, the ideas and supplies seem almost endless.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  1:52:18 PM  Show Profile
With the holidays approaching, this older thread caught my eye! Thanks to Nini for the idea on getting plain kraft paper from an office supply store! Just checked the price for a large roll of Kraft brown and I think it has my name on it! Someday...

I have a large back supply of wrapping paper to get through for now - always purchased it after Christmas for at least 50% off. I haven't bought paper in years, actually. Or bows - I've got a great stock of wired ribbon that I carefully save and roll around empty paper towel tubes for the next year. Or the "bow" parts just get flattened out and stacked in a basket until time to be tied on and re "fluffed" again.

I hand craft gift tags using paper, scrapbooking type supplies, cereal boxes, glitter, etc. I save those too from year to year - at least for gifts between immediate family.

I love a beautifully packaged gift, but I also love not spending more on the packaging that the gift! For example, I recently wrapped a present for a wedding shower using the last bit of white/silver paper from a discounted Christmas roll - just white with silver scrollwork - defnitely appropriate to a wedding.

Then I used silvery wired ribbon with a really cute dot design that I got a ton of for $0.50 at a garage sale this spring. I used different odds and ends of other ribbons to really spruce up the bow part and finished with some small sprays of artificial white flowers that I'd taken off a wreath also purchased at a garage sale (was using the wreath form for a another project). It looked really good when I was done, but I spent zip. Other than time. Re-worked that bow FOUR times before I was happy. lol

I also love doing gift baskets - I pick up the baskets at garage sales, never paying more than $0.50, usually $0.25 each. I shred paper shopping bags for filler - or I pick up Easter grass in the right color just after the Easter holiday - but paper is better for my green conscience :) Which kind of makes it sound like I'm talking about Jimminy Cricket, but oh well!

I also pick up metal cookie tins at garage sales, with a good wash/sanitize they are ready for use again!

Newspaper is a great idea, so are paper shopping bags from grocery store turned inside out. I've re-used many a gift bag - making sure the tags are removed!

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  10:05:28 AM  Show Profile
I recycle my Christmas cards and use them the following year by cutting out the beautiful pictures, using a paper punch to snap a hole at the top or even tape it on. I allow the sizes and shapes to vary. I write who it's to and from on the back and often include a personal message. Often times when tied with a bow, the larger tags are a beautiful touch!

XO,
Dreamer42

Dreamer42
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  2:20:21 PM  Show Profile
April, I do that exact same thing with my old Christmas cards....always made me smile to know I was repurposing something .

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  10:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls are so clever...be proud of yourselves for those great ideas!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:17:50 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy reading about the creative ideas you girls come up with. thanks for sharing.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  1:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I love to use pieces of fabric, hankies and sewing pattern pieces to wrap gifts in!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  1:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. I also use raffia (in different colors) and ribbon to tie gifts up as well. I can usually find almost anything I need and very rarely spend money on wrapping paper!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Wrapping for gifts Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: