Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  04:03:21 AM  Show Profile
okay--i am TOTALLY up for the beach! if that photo doesn't make you desperate to go, i don't know what would! Thelma--happy late birthday, and what a cool-e-o present you got! that is phenomenal. lets see pictures--if not now, at least later when you have it all fixed up.
hi to the new gals--pretty new myself, but this is a tremendous group.
thelma--my bible is the old standard revised and there is a sort of schedule in the very back with daily devotions--you do one new and one old testament each day. i think it follows the calender year. i have a blog that i write in on very VERY rare occasions with an entry that describes my experience upon reading the entire bible. its here if you want to see it:
http://lilymaker-alwayslearning.blogspot.com/
the entry about it is called "holy books, batman".
reading the entire bible through is a very worthwhile thing to do.
and while we are on the subject---what are you reading right now? i am finishing up a very small book called "art and fear". and my bedside book is a book about designing landscapes with native plant communities. also in my "bedside" stack is "making color sing" which is well past time for a re-read. the most recent fiction i read was a book called "drood". my DH recommended it to me since i had read and enjoyed one other book ("the terror") by its author, but i found it sort of disappointing. i generally stick with non fiction. right now DH is reading some book about Abraham Lincoln and vampires--a very interesting and off the wall concept--i may pick that up when he is done just to see how the author handles the idea.
dog is doing well--she (shambles is her name--and it fits her) has been really good about leaving her incision alone so she only has to wear the hated lampshade collar at night. clumber spaniels eat rocks on a routine basis (along with any number of totally weird things) i feel very lucky that this is my first encounter with a swallowed foreign body after owning 5 of this breed. i am also very fortunate to have a good emergency clinic as close by as it is. they did a terrific job.
now its time to think about the new year and start to focus my direction. last year my plant nursery sales(which are modest at best) were really bad, and after 5 years it's time to stand back and take a hard look at whether i want to continue on or change direction. at the heart of the issue is the question of what i really want to DO. i am at a point in my life where i am not certain that what i want to do NOW is the same as what it has been in the past. so some exploration is needed.
glenda and patty--hope you guys are hanging on okay--my thoughts are with you. penny--hope the foot is mending, and judy--i got a lovely Christmas card from you mom. please tell her thank you for me.
guess thats all for now--have a lovely new year, everybody! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  05:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

Thelma, I have read through the whole Bible only once 3 years ago and I plan to do this coming year. I did it by reading 3 chapters a day. It was pretty easy until I got to some of the books with really long chapters. But I struggled through and made it. I had trouble with Judges and Samuel because of the number of kings and the similarity of their names.

Hi Bunny and welcome. Glad to have you over here. We are a great group to be with.

Debra, I agree with you. I cannot believe how much things have gone up. Just buying the basics cost so much more. I guess there will be a lot more home cooking going on and less pre-packaged eating. However, the price of produce, eggs and dairy are very high, too.

Dianne, Sounds like your Christmas was extra special. Having all your family there was wonderful. Good news about your youngest son getting married even if by Justice of the Peace. They must be excited to get hitched! That's good news.

Holly, when you talk about those beautiful, clear skies with all the stars I just dream of how beautiful that must be. I wouldn't like that cold weather though. I am not used to it. I would have to toughen up.

I have a kazoo. We could start a little kazoo band. I might have 2. I think I got one for my DH. He start playing the ukelele and I got him a kazoo to go with it for fun.

Now if you go sailing wait for me. I would love to do it. I speak a very little Spanish. It is so bad that when I was in Mexico City and tried to use my Spanish someone there told me to speak English. Now that is bad! LOL But I can speak enough to get around. I think in Rio most places would speak English. Oh the music there is so great. What fun that would be. Make room for me in that steamer trunk. We might have to stay a while in Rio with all there is to do there.

Darlys, I am looking forward to seeing the quilt. I am still working on the quilt for my GD, Kelly. Now I hope to finish it before her Feb 28 Birthday. Also, I finally started the one for my bed but that will have to wait a while. I have a zillion things to do before I can get to that. It seems to me I could do a lot more when I was working. Or was it when my husband was working and I was not working. Yes, I think that's it.

Debra, That's a great picture of the beach. What time of day did you take that picture?

Well, I am going to make breakfast for myself. My DH and Snuggles are fast asleep. Mr. Kitty is outside looking for something or other. I have no plans for today except to make some chili and beans for dinner. I might make some corn bread to go with it. I made a chocolate-avocado pie the other day and it is so delicious. I got the recipe off the computer. A lady I met in the supermarket told me about it. It sounded bad but then I thought it was healthy because all the ingredients were good. If you like chocolate you will love this pie. No taste of avocado at all. So creamy. Yum!

At the end of every year I look back and list some of the positive things that I accomplished throughout the year. One of the best things I did this year was find this group and join you ladies.

Thinking and praying for you Glenda and Patty.

Hugs,

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  07:02:59 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.
Nancy, I totally agree with you. This group is the best. I do enjoy reading and posting on this site. It has been a treat this year.
The beach picture was sunset at Fort Morgan Alabama. I took my mom to the beach last year in Oct. She hadn't been to the beach in over 30 or more years. It was a great trip for the 2 of us.The sun was going down on our right and the full moon was coming up on the left.
Beautiful

Picture of full moon

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Thelma, I used www.oneyearbibleonline.com to read the Bible a few years ago. It was a site that our church recomended. You read verse from the Old then New daily. You get to see how the old and New testaments fit. It was good for me.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone

Bunny Hi glad you stopped by. I hang out with these wonderful farmgirls. They have been kind enough or is it crazy enough to take me in.

Debra I know what you mean about the prices. We grow patatos and onions here in Idaho. You think they would be cheap. Not only are they expensive they are not even fresh. I think the bag I got was last years. I am so growing my own this year.

Holly Yes I survived the Holidays. Christmas was one of the best this year with all the kids home.
It is my DH's aunt that is have ing chemo. She is off of it while they get an infecion cleared up. But she is responding well and in good spirits. I think it is Pam's SIL that is having chemo. With all of the illnesses we have been sharing and praying about it is easy to get them mixed up. Sometimes I just lift everyone to God when I pray. He knows who is in need even if I can't remember names.

I am ready for a cruise somewhere warm. I am not sure about the no bakini thing. I would hate to scare anyone. LOL Somethings do not need to see the light of day. Ever! I do think we need a new pool boy. I agree with you Holly, Glendas is probably tired of the weather and wanting to go home.

Darlys I cam ask where the Bano (bathroom) is. Does that help?

Thelma can I join you on the zip line? I have always wante to try one. looks like fun.

Yes ther is a Mountain time zone. I live in it. We are between the Pacific and Central time zones. I guess they figure time moves a little different in the mountains. I think it just makes it more complicated. I drive an hour west and I go back an hour in time. Great when going west not so great when going east. You lose an hour. Who wants to lose time. Some times there is not enough as it.

Debra that is a wonderful pic. I think I will look at it instead of at the dreary gray rain:(.

I best get moving on the day. The gray rainy day makes me want to go back to bed. I have sourdough bread rising and bunnies and chickens to take care. The chickens get a little cranky if I am not out here early. They raise such a fuss. They have food and water so it must be the company.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome. You seem like a great bunch of Farmgirls. The beach trip sounds great.

Sad about the food prices. I think more people will start thinking about growing their own with little gardens. I remember hearing about Victory Gardens during WWII. My biggest problem is finding the money to buy the lumber to make planter boxes for the back yard. I live with my mom in a little town. She wanted to do something last year but we just didn't have the money. I'm a California transplant after closing my quilt shop and losing my house. I'm also wondering how to keep my kitties out of the planter boxes. between mom and I we have 6. 5 go outside. Any ideas?

Chris, I just saw this on my facebook page and thought you might get a kick out of it. Sad your dog eats rocks and has to wear the collar of shame...

Well, I'm off. Sewing to do and taking mom to the doctor.

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  09:29:33 AM  Show Profile
What fun reading everyone's posts has just been! Sounds like the holidays are over and we are back to 'livin and lovin' I'm glad we are back.

Bunny you are just going to love this sight. Tell us something about yourself? Are you married, single, farming, wishing you were farming, let us in on your life? do you sew or craft? Garden?

Debra E Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! for the bible reading web site. It is just what I have been looking for. I signed up for multible readings instead of reading straight through from cover to cover. I printed off the chart and it fits neatly inside my bible. Also signed up to have the verses e-mailed daily. You rock girl!

Chris you asked what books we are reading. I am trying to get through MY ANTONIA by Willa Cather for book club Tues. morning. I think it is supposed to be a classic or something. The book has very, very small print and I have trifocals so can only read it for short spurts at a time. I am going to read YA-YA SISTERHOOD by Rebecca Wells next Sue, my library friend, told me about this series when I told her about the farmgirl sisterhood. I think I would have to look far and wide to find a book about people like our group.

Has anyone gotten their new Mary Janes Farm magazine yet? I keep thinking it should be coming.

Oh, lets all do the zip line. I have never seen one in real life (Iowa farms are pretty flat) I really - really - really want to do this. It can't be as bad as bungy jumping or riding some of those awful carnival type rides. I'll ask Santa if we can have some of his magic dust so we can get take turn the trunk into a carry on. Maybe even in first class.

Holly How many cows do you have or is Coco the only one? We used to have 'hamburger cows' until my hubby had a stroke and they got to big for me to handle. We called them T-bone and GR (ground round). I miss the livestock chores so maybe we will get some bottle calves in the spring. Send us pictures after Coco's calf is born.

Debra E - I can't believe the cost of groceries. We knew the peanut butter crisis was coming. Lots of people here stockpiled it which drove the prices even higher. WE have a 2 person household and if I buy any meat or cleaning supplies I have to take out a bank loan to pay for it. I put off going to the store and then I just have to buy more when I do go.

I have been on here long enough. I have a chicken wall hanging that I want to start working so guess I'll pick through my fabric stash and get it started. The rest of you who quilt - lets post some pictures.

Did you know that I sleep with Santa Claus ? Have a great day ladies.

Edited by - Thelma on Dec 30 2011 09:36:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  11:23:02 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick jump on to let you all know that I talked to Glenda. First of all - keep those prayers rolling. Her brother, John David, had his first round of chemo yesterday and it went pretty well. He did have an infection but it appears to be handled. He is down to 96 pounds now ... but she said he was cracking jokes with the nurses.

She doesn't have internet access at her brother's house but said she misses you all. I did ask her if she went to Mexico - and she did. She started laughing when I asked her if she brought back a pool boy. I told her that I could tell by her laughing that she brought back more than one - and that she is greedy to not share them. We didn't talk long as she was on the road. But she said she needed that laugh. Please keep her in your prayers, big time, as well as her brother. She has a load on her plate. Thankfully, her mom is fine (but she is in her 80s and not as spry as she used to be).

Just wanted to share while it was fresh on my mind.

Can hardly wait for Rio. Nancy & Holly ... I took violin lessons in the 5th grade and drum in the 7th grade - turned out I had no talent for either - but I have a voice that carries to the next county - so I'm the designated cheerleader. No cartwheels or somersaults though.

Thelma - REALLY! Sleeping with Santa and then bragging about it. Oh, the shame ...

Bunny, I love the cartoon! I mean - really - love it! I've got to copy it somehow and share it with some folks I know! I want to build a garden bed, too. We just have to get moved here permanently. DH is going to retire next year -- then perhaps ....

I just started reading Moonflower Vine. A friend sent it to me for Christmas. Has anyone read Wednesday Sisters? Now that was a great read about female friendships. Also liked the Guernsey and Potato Peel Pie Society. For light mysteries, I have read all of Earlene Fowler's books - in order. They are all named after quilt blocks - but that's about it for the quilting part - she is the curator of the quilt museum (and bodies abound). She can really spin a great story. And then there was Joann Mapson's books ... memorable was Bad Girl Creek.

Haven't gotten the new MJF magazine yet - that I know of. But I'm in Oakhurst - and the mail goes to Cupertino.

I'm with the rest of you about food prices! Note my resolution to start a vegetable garden. My grandson (who is involved in a co-op garden) said potatoes are pretty easy to grow - he said that it's the harvesting that involves work.

I'll swing back by later today, if I can.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Dec 30 2011 11:26:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  3:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Again, I can't tell you girls how much all your birthday cards and Christmas cards meant to me!!
THANK YOU!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Cindy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Cynthia
Social Circle Georgia
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile
I am 62, New to the sisterhood of Farmgirls. Started a bit late in life, I am a Alpaca Farmer

Living My Best Life ***in the best place for me***Alpaca Farming in Social Circle,Georgia!
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey Miss Cindy,
I am in Suwanne Ga. Not to to far from you.
Welcome to the farm. Glad to have you.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Hello again,

Welcome to the even-newer-than-me members. It is always so interesting to hear about everyone's weather and neighborhoods.

I've been a "sister" for a year and I need to renew my membership ... I just keep forgetting!!

Is everyone looking forward to a new and better year? I am. 2011 wasn't awful, but boy 2012 could really be an improvement. I'm up at night quite often due to some chronic pain issues, so MJF has really been a godsend. I love being able to catch up with all the forums in the dead of night and it just takes my mind off what has me "up" and helps soothes the aches. So, if you ever check the times on my posts it is going to seem kind of crazy!!

Oops, thought I had more time, but I can smell dinner cooking, better go check. Talk to you gals soon. Thanks for listening. I so look forward to getting to know you all better.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  5:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think kayaking across the bay in Rio would be fun. I think actually paddling along the edge would probably be more reasonable. I bet it is a loooonnnnnng way across that bay. I remember seeing people on waterskiis being pulled behind a motor boat with a parachute on and the people rising up over the ocean like they are flying. That would be so exciting. I think right after we zipline we could parasail. Might as well exhaust ourselves totally. I wonder how the massages are in Rio. I think we will need one or two after zipline parasail day. I would like to plan the trip for the end of January. I will need a break from the cold by then. Two weeks would be a good amount of time. If I am gone for two weeks everyone in my family will surely appreciate me when I return. lol I think we will need to bring tubs of sunscreen to protect those areas or our lovely aging bodies that have not seen the sun in decades. The copacana beach is there. Everyone must find a copy of the Barry Manilow song and learn it so we can make total fools of our selves singing at the top of our lungs.

We had a Plott's hound who would eat rocks and then come into the house and barf them up. Six eight rocks at a time. He died at 14 when his back broke when he was going down the stairs. I do think his back broke and then he fell not the other way around.

When our dogs have stitches I wrap duct tape,(silver tape) around one paw so the dog would worry the tape and not the stitches. It was far less painful for me to use the tape than the neck cone.

So, Pam how is your SIL doing with her chemo? I hope she is not too sick. How is your husand dealing with his twin being so sick?

Bunny, around here there are used lumber places. We have a place called recycle north. They would have lumber for minimal costs to build raised beds. Drive around yourtown and look for building or demolition sites and ask for their leftovers. I do it. I do not know if your town is rural or urban but you could get logs and make like a log cabin structure for the raised bed. I think pallets would work as well. YOu would probably need to cut the shorter so you could reach the top. As far as the cats lay some old chicken wire across the top. We have six cats and they do not bother the garden enough to notice. Now those chickens they can dig up the seed as quick as I can sow it. So I have some fencing I lay on top and that keeps them from scratching. If you have turkeys do not I repeat do not allow them into the garden under any circumstances. They can eat a row of beans stalks and all in no time. They do not just eat the bugs they eat everything.

Chris do you have a storefront you sell out of? Maybe you could move it home and sell from home. There is a woman in Plainfield I buy my perrenials from and she puts up a sign at the end of the road and seems to get enough business to keep her happy. Farmer's market? You seem very versatile and well informed for all your projects I think you will get a great idea to continue what you love.

I like the pictures Debra. I think while we are in Rio we could get up and take pictures of the sunrise and then on our next trip to ........ we could take pictures of the sun setting over the ocean.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  10:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, I am a Calif transplant. I had a quilt shop for 9 years and a beautiful log I built about 25 miles from Yosemite. The economy got bad..and after 2 years I had to close my shop and lost my house. My 4 cats and I moved in with my mom in Oregon. I have 2 grown sons and after giving it a try twice... no more husband. I would love to have a farm. My dream is to have a little piece of land, a small house with no mortgage. I would love to learn how to live off the grid.

That's my story.

Darlys, you can save the picture by right clicking and save the file to your computer. Glad you liked it so much.

Holly, you sound like you have too much energy for this beach vacation. I just want to sit on the beach drinking cold drinks with little umbrellas and just kick back with a good book. No zip lines or parasailing for me.
I'll check out the used lumber idea.

Anyway, off to learn some new crochet stuff.

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  05:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!

Welcome to all of our new ladies!!!

Thank you to my farmgirl sisters for the beautiful Christmas cards! Hope each of you had a great holiday season!

Just wanted to stop by for a bit to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!
I am hoping for an easier 2012!

Each of you take care!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  06:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Bunny,

You must have had your quilt shop somewhere around Oakhurst, Manteca, or the Merced areas? All beautiful places to live, but you live in a beautiful area now, too. That must have been quite a loss to you. I hope your farm dream comes true. And in the meantime . . .raised beds must be built! Welcome!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile
I have always dreamed of owning a quilt shop, but have no head for business or dealing with ornery customers so at my age I just quilt and craft. Since I am a retired teacher it seams like I am always helping someone learn a new quilting skill so I guess I have settled in. A few years ago there were plenty of quilt shops around. Now over half of them are gone. One needs to sell yards and yards and yards of fabric just to pay building rent.

My raised beds are made out of cross arms from old electric power poles. Check with the local rural electric company in your area. They are nice and heavy, will take years to rot, and already have holes drilled in them where I just push rerod into the ground to hold them firm. Old railroad ties work also, but no more to be had around here.

Holly, I took some time and traveled to Rio on the website you posted. When are we going on this fantasy? I really need to lose 25 pounds before we leave. I want to be comfortable in the 'trunk' and in my 'full' swimsuit. Anyone want to diet with me?

Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I admire and envy everyone that can keep up with the posts and submit regularly..

I feel like I'm being pulled in so many directions..my head is spinning...

actually, I do have a constant vertigo as the doctor just put me on medication...I was diagnosed last month with hashimoto thyroidism..which explains why I haven't been able to lose weight, as well as other issues..but I want to just find a rocker and sit and read all day but life won't let me...

I did treat myself to read a book over the Christmas holiday and I picked a book I've owned for quite awhile but never found the time to read: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. There is some foul language in it but I found the book entertaining and funny, as well as informative as he throws in historical info..not just Appalachian Trail info.

Yesterday I started reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer...the movie comes out in a few weeks and I always like to read the book before I see the movie...my son has to read The Great Gatsby for English so I might reread that again since it's been awhile..like maybe four decades since I've read that.. I'm also reading all the seed catalogs that have started to arrive and I'm wishing I had more land to host all the seeds I want to buy..so I will have to be ruthless with my final decision..

I want in on the Rio trip..!!!!!!

Actually, if you look along the coastline picture that Holly posted and follow it past the tall brown high rise toward the mountain..I lived just three blocks in from Ipanema Beach for three months..I used to walk to that beach nearly every day for a nice swim and tanning session. I was supposed to be in school as an exchange student but long story short..I finagled my way out of going to school and hung out on the beach all day...found a boyfriend while I was there but he came from a family of 17 children and when he told me we would only have 13 kids...I was pretty much done with that relationship... LOL looking back..he was from a wealthy farming family in Sao Paulo and he got his masters in engineering in the USA..he was probably the "big one" that got away..but I was young and didn't know any better. When he came to visit us after I returned to the US..I remember my mom and I were looking out from the kitchen window staring at his bronzed body (red bikini) as he floated in our swimming pool and smiled..cause he was so darn cute..but she warned me.."you know, Latin men will usually take a lover" and right or wrong...I listened to my mother and the relationship was over..

Thelma, I'm in on the weight loss..only I need to lose more than 25 lbs.

But..be aware ladies..in Rio, everyone is proud of their bodies and even "grandma's" wear thongs and bikini's with pride..there are very few overweight people in Rio but even wrinkled old bellies that bulged were tanned and no one seemed to think it was gross or odd. The only "one piece" suits I saw were on the self conscious tourists...

I can't wait to say good bye to 2011..it was I think, the most difficult year of my life so far....so hello 2012!!!!! Come on!!!!!

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

-Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to one and all. I hope it is a happier and healthier new year for everyone. I pray for peace especially in our minds and it sure wouldn't hurt this country either.

I have a neighborhood pot luck to go to tonight. I'm taking deviled eggs. It will end early as none of us are into drinking and staying up until midnight. It's just nice for us all to get together and wish everyone well.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Miss Cindy ... welcome to our wild and wacky, chronologically gifted group of girlfriends. Sometimes it's hard to keep up - but try we do. The nice thing about getting seasoned is that we are smart enough to not obsess when we miss the mark. We just love each other up and help each other up when we are down.

Alpaca farming sounds intriguing. We will be interested in hearing about your daily rounds. And how you came to do that. Seems like we have a number of girlfriends in the great state of Georgia.

Susan -- cool! You are IN on the Rio trip. AND it sounds like you will be able to play it to the hilt. Especially since you have some "beach expertise." Hmmm - Latin men ... in red bikinis ... our kind of sport. We are going to have to be careful though. (When you meet Glenda, you will understand.) Glenda has already been banned from Maui for a year for kidnapping a pool boy and bringing him home in the suitcase she was traveling in. And, she wasn't very generous about sharing with her girlfriends either. Obviously she had a fun trip that time.

End of January sounds good, Holly ... but remember I have surgery on 2/3. I'll have to lay around on the beach for the best part of this trip. Healing in the tropical sun - being waited on by tanned, muscular young men carrying (medicinal, of course) tall drinks with tiny umbrellas in them - and making sure I'm comfortable.

Holly, m'precious, you have more energy than PG&E! I may have to pass on the zip line this trip (I'll let Thelma catch her breath on that activity)... and para-sailing is best left as a spectator sport for this gal. You go up - I'll cheer. And as for kayaking ... girlfriend, you paddle and I'll "navigate." I admire your strength (paddle, gf, paddle!) as well as your heart (and your writing).

By the way, Marianne, you probably noticed - but I thot I'd mention it (again) anyway ... we are in Oakhurst most weekends ... we will be retiring here in 2012! Bunny did live nearby. (I think it was Sonora?) We only have one little quilt shop here in Oakhurst - wish there were more. When I went in - I hope it was only an off day - I was pretty much ignored. I hope I didn't offend but it wasn't very welcoming. Now having a competitor might have changed the complexion of that shop. But Sonora is a ways down 49.

Well, I'm off to get some groceries. We are going to have a quiet evening tonight. We were invited to the Elk's Club whing-ding ... but decided to just hunker in by the fire and stay warm.

I pray 2012 will be a good (great) year - that those who have been doing well, continue --- and that those who could use a bit of good fortune, have blessings showered upon them without end. HAPPIEST NEW YEAR, everyone.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, I was actually in Groveland on highway 108 on the other side of the park. Sonora has a JoAnns now and there is a very big quilt store with a ....not so nice owner. She was thrilled when the rest of us closed up. We had so much drama from her. We had a yearly shop hop that the local shops put together. But we started learning about her dishonesty and scary personality we were afraid to invite her. Alas, because of a very large insurance payout from an accident, she has lots of money to hold her over the economy troubles. Cie La Vie...I have been in the quilt shop in Oakhurst. I'm sorry they ignored you. I would have talked your ear off, taught you something new and helped you design a quilt on my computer. I always tried to give customers more than they expected. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to support me in a little town.

Thelma, quilt shops are hard to own and make money. Quilters can be very fickle and trying to find out how to please them can be hard. I can't tell you how many customers would ask about classes and then give reasons why they weren't available. Each store has it's own personality based on the owner and sometimes it doesn't match the local customers. I don't know that I would ever do it again.

I'm stuck at home with a cold today. Bummer. Me and the kitties are just taking it easy.
Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful new year!

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Darlys
I think I know the area you gals are talking about. I used to take 49 to Markleeville (?) to cross Sonora Pass to get to a dude ranch I worked at in Bridgeport. (when I wasn't 50!) It was a great experience! I grew up in the Sacramento Delta. And met a chocolate guy at college who has moved my hiney all over the US making people happy with his magical chocolate ways. (My husband has worked in the chocolate industry for over 25 years.) We do love the inland Pacific NW where we have lived for the last 8 years ... the longest we have ever lived in one place since we married!

I have heard so many farmgirls hope for a better year next year. What was it about 2011 ... it was just so tough for everyone! Looking forward to '12 like the rest of you all!!
Marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Dec 31 2011 3:23:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  3:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Darn. I lost my post again.
Just stopped by to wish everyone a happy new year. As for hubby and I, life keeps getting better and better. The Lord has really blessed us. I hope all my fgs have great adventures ahead of you in 2012.

We are having pizza tonight. Just sent hubby and granddaughter out to pick it up. Now delivery in this rural area unless you live within city limits. GD and I are going to work on our embroidery skills while hubby sleeps through the evening. Maybe we will stay awake long enough to see the ball drop in time square.

Have a good one ya all

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  5:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies... just a quick stop to wish you all a wonderful new year...I for one will be so glad to see 2011 come to an end. I saw a sign that read "2011 Don't let the door hit you in the a**". Oh yes, that is how I feel this year and I had to chuckle. I am working on my list of New Year's resolutions. The first one... I will talk to God more often. Somewhere in that list I will add that I will "SLOW" down some. It was a beautiful day here today. We went after feed, and to the meat locker. We did some repairs on the pigeon coop and prepared it for the cold front coming in. I will pick up more pigeons next week. We also cleaned up the incubator and got it ready to start setting some Pharoah quail eggs. I would like to put about 150 of them in my freezer this year. I ordered a ravioli attachment for my atlas pasta machine and am looking forward to it arriving. Seriously, I am going to slow down. Have a wonderful New Year...I am soooo going to enjoy a nice quiet evening at home. I will quietly say a prayer to keep everyone safe and out of harm's way this evening as you celebrate the new year.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Dec 31 2011 5:29:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page