True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  05:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Ladies,
I am in Ohio right now with Jake. Went to visit my mother-in-law in Cincinnati over the weekend and then up here to Columbus Sat. evening. I have made the decision to leave this group of over 50 ladies. I struggled with it, as I have met some wonderful ladies that I now feel are dear friends. I just have too much going on in my life right now to be a active part. Just seems as though I am overwhelmed. You have all been there, and I am sure you understand. :)I thank you for your support and friendship you have given so freely of. This board has been such an enjoyment. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  05:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Chris and Marianne for sharing about your family relationships. I, too, through the years have had the uncomfortable family holiday get togethers. My family didn't like my brother's wife or my first husband. Now my children don't like my DH. One thing I did learn is that my family isn't the only one who has problems like this. My husband has the same thing in his family. I am one of those people who hate confrontation and just want to disappear when things start happening. I always wish I had one of the coats like in Harry Potter that I could put on and be invisible. LOL

These special cakes sound so yummy. I remember when I was young licking bowl after my mom made a cake. My brother and I used to argue who was going to get the spoon or get the bowl.

My DH and I were invited to a friend's church yesterday to listen to a Cantata that was given at the service. It was truly beautiful. At one part several small children sang and it was so cute seeing these little kids all dressed up. Afterwards there was a huge table filled with more cookies of various kinds than I have ever seen. I am wheat sensitive so luckily there were some fudge and ones made without wheat there. They had a lot of sugar though and I did get a bit hyper along with the regular coffee which I usually don't drink.

Later we went for our coffee at McDonald's and all the service people there were wearing Santa Hats of different shapes. Really cute. It's our usually spot so they treated us to our coffee.

Happy belated birthday to you Beth. And Happy Birthdays to all the Christmas ladies whose parents welcomed you at this time of year.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.

Some gifts are big, some gifts are small. The gift from the heart is the best gift of all.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:38:25 AM  Show Profile
Patty, I see that you are leaving us and you will be missed. I was getting on today to ask how you and Jake were doing. Just know that our prayers are for you and your family. Prayers for Jakes quick healing and a peace of mind for you and hubby.

Happy belated birthday Beth. I don't think that I have your address to send a birthday card.

Nancy, You are right! The fine line is the independence of a parent and knowing when to step in. That is what I struggle with mostly with my mom. (my dad is passed away)I still think of her as the parent but then I see her frustration and see that she has become me/child. The other day she asked me "How did I know what to do for her"(like let her enter a room first or open the door for her) I simply told her that "I learned by you raising me" "I am only doing what I was taught from you" I can almost deal with the physical part of her...the mental state is what I don't understand yet.

Judy show us a picture of the Christmas stocking you made for hubby. My neice called and said that you had some snow. She wants snow for Christmas so bad.

Gotta a few chores to go and do. Thanks for listening. It helps.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's just me again . . . THANKING ALL OF YOU WHO SHARED CARDS WITH ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!
Can't tell you HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE THEM!
THANKS!
Have a great Monday!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
hi gals! have been catching up with all the entries. welcome to the new girls!
my family is weird. my two older brothers only live 20 miles from mom but rarely will come and visit. you all know how i have not been in the christmas mood so last thursday, i called my oldest brother and invited him and the other one to lunch on christmas with me and mom. i was going to cook and etc. his reply was that sunday was a football day and they would not come on that day. argh. so i asked them about the day before and he grudginly agreed to that. our mom is not in the best of shape and he is just in denial. she often forgets what she says to whom and he calls that lying. argh.
she doesn't do a lot of physical things anymore because she tires so easily ( she is 83 today) and he calls her lazy. arghh. but she wants everyone that can be there to be there so i keep my mouth shut most of the time. when i called her and told her that we were going to eat the day before Christmas her response was "its not christmas".
sigh. could use some prayers...
hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile
ok just got back from lunch and Daryls you made my day! thank you so much for the card and the little gingerbread man.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile
A big Thank You to Claudia and Janet for sending me Christmas cards which I got when I got home today! I haven't gotten any cards out and decided I'd wait and do New Years cards instead, lol! But it's so nice to get cards in the mail!!!

I am sorry to hear you are leaving us Patty but certainly understand why. I too have been so overwhelmed this year just taking care of David and doing all his chores that I am not getting much else done. Guess that's why I come in here once a week if I'm lucky.

The last time my family all got together was back in 2000 for my parents anniversary and even then we weren't all there! There is a total of 48 of us, 2 parents, 6 kids & 5 spouses, 11 grandchildren & 9 spouses, and 15 great-grandchildren and 2 soon to be grandchildren's spouses. We live all over the Country and can never seem to get to one place at the same time.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday if I don't get on here before Christmas. I'm still praying for all of you and your families, even Patty's!

P.S. It finally got cold here! No snow but we woke up to 1 degrees this morning. Last night I turned on the heater we have in the coop for the girls. I am not letting them out today either, I want them to stay warm now that we are getting eggs again because they stopped moulting.

Merry Christmas!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile
patty--i am so sorry to see you go--just as i am getting to know you. what i am really sorry for is that your life has gotten complicated in a way that forced this decision on you. i wish you the very best and hope things even out for you as soon as possible. several friends of mine drift into closeness and then away again. a very dear friend whom i consider to be my sister that i never had is coming to visit on wednesday. it has been at least a year since we have had any fun time together, and this may be the only time we see each other in a long time. we talked about it once and she said--"it's okay. we each know the other is there. so when we can pick it up again it will happen". i dearly love this woman--and can honestly say i am a better person for having known her. that is the highest praise i can think of--and it is something i hope someday someone will be able to say about me. but i have a long way to go before i can equal her. so everyone knows that you are "there" and we are "here" and maybe someday all the paths will cross again.
its funny reading about everyones' families. we all have personalities to contend with and bits of friction between us. i heard joyce meyer say that God uses difficult situations with other people to knock rough edges off of us. so i guess that's the best way to look at it. they aren't a pain in the neck--they are honing stones that are polishing us to a higher shine. my years with my MIL should have made me bright enough to blind any passerby :-).
and yet i still have edges that need smoothing! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Marianne Welcome to this group. They are truly a wonderful buch of crazy women.

Holly I am glad the weather cooperated for you. I am the one who would hide in the house when the sloughterers would come.
The kids wanted to be out there to watch. Then they would want to tell me all about it. ICK!! I am fine with doing our own chickens and my DH
buthers his deer and elk. Why the other animals bother me I don't know.

Ok I am late on the Birthday cards. They are in the mail. I Promise. I hope they get to everyone.

Chris I will keep your mother in my prayers. It is hard to watch the change in our parents. Mothers are supose to be indistructable.
At least it seems that way when you are a kid. Then as they age you realize they are not indistructable. With my mothers passing I am now "the mom"!
When I had surgery last year and was laid up for a good 2 weeks.(Icould do nothing) both my DD's informed me that I would not get sick like gma.
They both pitched in and helped thir dad take care of things, but they wanted me well and on my feet!

Holly We usually put the roosters in the freezer when they are big enough. I try to get mostly hens. They say they can determine what the chicken will be
before it hatches. You can order straight run or pullets. We still got one rooster in our order of pullets. But he was beautiful. We were going to keep
him, but I think he was to mouthy and something got him. My DH found what was left. YUCK!

Patty I will miss you. The saying you have at the bottom of your post has always made me smile. It is one of the first things that got me interested in this
group. Please stop by when you can. If nothing else let us know how Jake is doing. You and your family will remain in our hearts and prayers.

Janie I will keep your family in my parayers. I understand your mother wanting everyone there for Christmas. It is my one request each year. We will be one short this
year. My oldest DS has a new job and will not be able to get here till after Christmas. :(

Another day is almost done. One more day and then I am off for 2 weeks. I think. I will need the time off by the time Christmas is over.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  7:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Evening gals. Well DH and I went shopping today and I'm pooped. We are just doing stocking stuffers for each other,since we have bought so many new electronics lately. I think I'll have to upgrade his stocking that I'm making, to a King-Size to accomodate all of his hand tools I bought him today. hahaha He's worth it. He's really good to me. And he's a great Handy-Man to me,my Mom and his Mom. I call it "Going shopping for Boy-Toys." And after all, men are just BIG boys!hahaha
Well I have to take Mama to the eye doctor waaaaay too early tomorrow, so I'd better get to bed.
Patty, I'm sorry to see you leave us. I'll miss you! But we must do what we must do!It's ok!
Love to all my Farm-Buds!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  11:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Having trouble sleeping so have spent the last 45 minutes catching up on chats. It will be nice to have a little more time after the holidays to keep up with you gals.

I also went shopping today. the crowds were doable until about 3:00 then it got really crowded, but we stuck it out and got nice things for everyone. Northern Iowa is lacking snow right now, but I still love the holidays. Santa and I have one more visit to make to a large day care center on Wednesday morning then we will head back to the north pole for well deserved long winter naps.

My parents are gone now, but I understand what you gals are going through. Parenting your parents is very emotional.
My mother-in-law is 91 and in a care center. Her oldest daughter is running that show and we are thankful for the part she plays in dealing with the business end of all of this.

I too am saddened by the way families treat one another. Confrontation is not my thing either, but others seem to thrive on it. I get tired of always being blamed for things when I don't even know what people are talking about. I enjoy being a creative, confident woman, but I guess some family members see that as being above them and try to bring me down to their level. Well whoop-tee-do. If they want to be petty, thats their problem, not mine. At my age I pick my battles and steer away from nonsence.

I am so excited about the holidays. I celebrate Christmas and the birth of Christ. I know not everyone believes the way I do. Whatever your reasons for celebrating and the way you celebrate makes for a diverse group of farm girl sisters. However you celebrate do it with flair - fun - and childish excitement Ho ho ho, and now back to bed so goodnight.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  04:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the welcomes. It feels so nice.

Thelma said it so well about being saddened how families treat one another and how generally people either like to "stir it up" or tend to want to avoid conflict.

I don't understand why anyone would send Christmas cards and not even sign their names to them. Granted, when they are the photo type you know who sent it, but a greeting of some sort would be nice. Especially, when it is the only time you hear from certain folks.

Yesterday, I got a photo Christmas card from my much-younger-than-I cousin. They had added a new member (baby boy) to the family and no one had even told me. Not my aunt or uncle, neither cousin or their spouse, not my sister, NObody. It really hurt. And then no signatures to the card and our name misspelled on the envelope. Really, that's the best you can do? Or is it just the best you want to offer me?

My first thought was - I'll never speak to them again. But, how silly, I know. It's not like anyone calls or writes me now and last year I decided it would be nice for someone (anyone) else to make one of the holiday calls to me. It didn't happen.

Our family is the only part of the family that lives in another state and it seems we aren't exactly missed. Holidays used to only be at our house when we lived back home, but now everyone has just moved on.

Thanks for listening, it is remarkable how much better I feel having gotten that "out."

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  05:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Chris, hope your mom's shot goes well today. The muscle relaxers are terrible to try to function on.

Janie, you are doing your best. I think your mom will be happy to have everyone together even if it is a day early. Sending a prayer your way that it is a pleasant time for all of you.

Thelma, thanks for wording "family dealings" so well. It made me feel better.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Well a few days gone and I had to sit and catch up. Patty I will really miss you. But understand how life makes decisions we aren't comfortable with and have to do what needs to be done. You will be in our thoughts and prayers, and remember the door is always open for a sister.
Jenill I understand what you mean about the frustation of the other members of the family not helping with the parent situation. My brother lives maybe 30 mins from here and he's down this way several times a week. But does not offer to stop by moms just to say hi. And never once has he offered to help me out with taking her to the doctors or what she needs done at home. If she's in the hospital, he'll stop in for 15 mins and off he goes. He comes down to visit maybe 2-3 times a year. And those visits are about a hour. Otherwise, he knows nothing about what is going on. I have decided not to waste my time letting him know. I feel I will do what I can and when I can't we'll hire someone to help out. Mom has gotten to where she thinks I'm lying about everything I say to her, and says I never tell her anything when I know I have. If I do something differently than she would, she just says I'm lazy not to do it the right way. I know that her mind is going, and try to remember that, but it does still hurt. And I think we can be our own worst problem, by thinking we should be able to do it all. And really, that's not all for the best. Because if we don't take time to keep ourselves in shape and have some fun and relaxation, we can't be our best for them when needed. We all have our different stories, but it boils down to the fact that being parents to our parents is probably one of the hardest jobs we'll have.
Want to say thank you for all the wonderful Christmas cards, I truely have enjoyed them.
The shopping centers are getting crazy, so glad I'm finished and just have wrapping to do.
Chris, so glad to hear that your brunch went well and your brother decided to let go of what ever it was that had him upset.
Well ladies, need to get ready for DGS and his girlfriend to come visit. They just got in from Kentucky from college.
Happy holiday to all! Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile
I have been truly blessed to receive Christmas cards from farmgals I really don't know. Thank you everyone. They were a lovely surprise. The wind is blowing about 30mph today so my work will be inside, baking and sewing and of course wrapping presents we take to my daughters on Thursday. It will be nice to spend the day with her and the boys and the weather seems to be cooperating and be nice with no threat of snow in the mountain pass we have to go over. The Sierra mountains cut CA in half in the middle of the state and in winter we sometimes can't get over to the west.
I hope the wind dies down by tomorrow as I need to move two bushes that are sticking out in the driveway since we widened the drive and took out the gate. Since they're desert bird of paradise I'm going to replant on the old stagecoach trail where I am making beds of desert plants alond the trail as it cuts through our property. I also need to prune my roses. We have such a short dormant period and before long the roses will be putting out new buds. They don't seem to care that we get freezing temps until the middle of March. Some of them will bloom before then.
Well, off to make the bed and get on with my day. All of you have a great day. I'm sure some of you are really in the cold by now. ! degree? Now that's cold. My baby chicks are growing and doing well in there box in the bathroom. My hens are still laying and yesterday I cracked open a big egg and it had a double yoke, the first one ever. I don't know which hen layed it but I have several more as big so maybe they'll be double too.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  09:20:30 AM  Show Profile
I got more birthday cards yesterday. Thank you all so much. It is fun to sit and open them. I looked at the cards again today.
The weather here is gloomy...a good day to curl up and read a book. I think that I will do just that. Y'all have a large day and will check back at cha later.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile
How is everyone coming with their holiday preperations? I have been relaxing and making table favors all morning. Also got all gifts wrapped now except for the 2 quilts as I'm still enjoying looking at them. After my short break I am going to get some apples in the dehydrator and then work on my cards and letters.

I am so enjoying the holiday and birthday cards I am getting from my farm sisters, not to mention the small gifts in a few. THANKS SO MUCH!

Marianne, I agree with you on sending and recieving cards. Why do poeple who don't say hello when they see us bother to send a card with just their name on it? I used to hate Christmas brag letters, but sometimes I am forced to send out a form type letter when my hands are really hurting from my fibro & bone problems. I got a form letter yesterday that wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. this family had the most awesome children in the world; music, sports, grades, you name it.I can't believe that they aren't running against each other for the position of president. LOL I have 20 years of these yucky letters and now the children are gone. Maybe Mom and Dad should stop tooting their children's horns and let them write their own holiday letter.

Patty, please get your life in focus so you can rejoin us in the future. I'll be waiting for your return.

Those apples are calling out my name so I better move back to the kitchen

Later ya all! ho ho ho! Welcome to all you new gals. You are in the right place!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  11:55:55 AM  Show Profile
Today is my baking day since the wind won't allow me to work outside. I need to get it done anyway. I have four or five more gifts to wrap and that will be done. We'll be at my daughters Thursday and we'll go see hubby's daughter I think Christmas Eve. It's an hour and a half drive one way and would do it on our way home from my daughters but we'd get home so late. We may do it anyway and save some time and gas.

I don't especially like those brag letters either. I was shocked that I received a Christmas card from my oldest son. He doesn't usually send one but it was written by his new wife which I haven't met yet since they live in AL. I have received more Christmas cards from all you farmgirls than we have from family and we have together 9 children and 32 grandchildren and some of the grandchildren are on their own now. We decided that if we don't get "thank you's" from any of them then we won't send them anything next year. We spend a lot of money at Christmas for people that don't seem to appreciate.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile
We're having a yucky gray, rainy, cold day today. When I got up at 6:30 to take Mama to the doc, it was snowing and looked scary out, but it wasn't bad. The doc basically told Mama they couldn't do anything for her eyes. He said it was an age thing and the wrinkle on her retina was not fixable. Then he got a text from a brother skiing in Utah and he was thruough with us. I about choked him. I have very little tolerance for snotty, young pups,ESPEIALLY ones in white coats, who belittle older folk.He's gonna be old someday..... *sigh* Sorry...It eats at me. (steps off my soapbox)
Well gotta get started on DH's Christmas stocking.
Later Gators!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  5:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Family started arriving last Thursday ... and we had our "Early Christmas" (which we do a week before Christmas each year). I enjoyed having them and am enjoying having all but one (grandson) gone. Now I can begin to relax, clean up the house, and we will go to Larry's sister's for Christmas Day. The day after that we will go to Oakhurst for 2 weeks. We had one "incident" during our celebration - I'll talk about it later. But it was pretty nice otherwise. We took everyone to the Dicken's Fair again ... it was our last time doing that as we will move next year.

Nancy, thank you for the pattern (and stickers)! I'm a bit behind just now ... but it has me motivated! I still have the book to get to the post office and now it looks like that might happen in 2012! Love you, GF!

Patty, I will miss you. I do understand being overwhelmed. I'm feeling just a bit of that myself these days.

Thelma - how DO you do it?

Judy - Judy - That doctor's karma will come around to bite him in the butt!

I am praying that Glenda is relaxing a bit in Mexico. She will need all her strength when she returns.

I am trying to keep up with birthdays - but I fear I have missed some. Do we have more than 4 December birthdays now?

Welcome to the new gals. I'm being brief today but I usually go on-and-on-and-on-and-on .... just ask anyone!

Prayers for all who need them, and I also pray that Christmas will be holy and meaningful for all of you. There is One who loves each of us "the most" and unconditionally. We are never alone.

Bless you, sisters ... in every way. Hopefully, I will manage to get back sooner than later. But, know that I'm thinking of you all.

Holly ... as usual ... am living on your farm!

Candy Canes & Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  8:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, I am ready to crash. Monday is coming!!!!!!!!

Betty, how lovely to get a card from your son and his wife. Young adults and kids don't usually understand the importance of getting 'real' mail.

have a good rest everyone. I'll be on again soon.

Edited by - Thelma on Dec 20 2011 8:03:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  04:27:24 AM  Show Profile
thelma--i hear you about those letters. at least the ones you get are positive. i have one acqaintance who used to send letters filled with all her latest disasters and tales of woe. not a fun read.
judy--don't let that doctor intimidate you just because he has a white coat on. that behavior was VERY unprofessional and extremely uncaring.
my mom's shot went fairly well--she will know if a few days if it worked. i told her that we can come up there and visit or bring them to our house for Christmas day (traditionally in the past they came here). we can have a Christmas buffet and a movie or play dominoes or whatever they want to do. she is going to wait and see how she feels and decide later in the week.
i had a terrific surprise yesterday--came home from the store to find a totally cool birdhouse hanging from my gate. the note said it was from our friends harold and donna. it was just after lunchtime and i know when they come to this area there is a restaurant where they like to eat. so i quick threw all my groceries into the unheated porch and drove up there just in time to catch them as they were coming out. so they came back here and we had such a lovely visit. harold and donna are the neatest people--in their younger days (they are mid to late 70's) they were probably hippies--harold wore a ponytail and they ran a series of small restaurants. they were very active in porsche car racing for many years, and spent many winters in new mexico. harold is a fabulous craftsman--he repurposes and recycles in truly creative ways. the birdhouse is his own design--i had admired one like it at his house, so he made a second one to give to me. this in itself is rare because he doesn't like to do the same thing twice. i will put a picture here--this is NOT the birdhouse he gave me, rather its another one he and donna made to pay tribute to their happy times in new mexico. everything on it is repurposed from somewhere.

mine isn't quite as fancy, but its just as cool.
have a great day everyone!

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  05:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, DH and I talked to Pam last night, Shes DHs twin sister. She had her first chemo treatment yesterday and she said it took 5 hrs. She was very tired so we didn't talk to long. She said she had gone through a little depression time, She called it it empying the saddness and fear and she good to go. Feeling very positive about things. Bless her heart. Would like to ask for your prayers to continue, and help her to get through the holidays. She said she felt good yesterday and didn't feel any sickness so far, we joked about her losing her hair, whether to wear scarves or get a wig. I told her this would be her chance to be a sexy blonde, and she just laughed. We will be going into this Christmas season with heavyness in our heart for her, But know that the Lord is walking right beside her. Well, errands today so hope you all have a good day. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  06:02:59 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

It is in the thrities this morning and I am told it is supposed to go up to forty but I am hoping it stays around freezing for a while. There is a light dusting of snow enough to make the ground look clean.

At our house all of the decorations go up Christmas eve. Our to adult foster special needs foster women are very excited about Santa Claus and if he does not come wshen they think he should come then either or both of them get very upset and that is not pretty at all. So, our house is kind of dull right now except for the balsam branches I put up at the beginning of the month.

We had latkes for dinner last night and lit the candles for the first night of Hannukah. We were joking that there used to be a saying that if there were not a little bit of blood in the potatoes from the raw ones being hand grated they would not taste right. Last night I boiled the potatoes, mashed them and then we fried them in oil.

I have read in National Geographic about wagon train tracks still being evident across the prairie. it was interesting to me that nature could not heal from that repeated intrusion of people passing by. Then there is the fascination from the history standpoint that so many people passed by so long ago in search of a better life that the path can still be seen. Betty if you plant flowers will the path disappear? Around here there are old cellar holes from houses that have decayed. Although someone told me that when people moved they dismantled their house and took all of the usable pieces with them to the new site. All that is left in the woods are the stone walls from the houses and some broken dishes. Sometimes if you take a metal detector you can find old hinges.

Sometimes, I think people might send holiday cards out because of guilt rather than joy. The guilt of not making an effort to keep in touch. This is the first year in many that I have sent out cards and I sent them because I was happy that there are now people who think I am important enough in my own right to communicate with me.

I hope you all have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  06:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning.

Betty, I'm with you. I am tired of sending gifts and receiving no appreciation in return. It is so rude not to teach one's children to give thanks when getting a gift whether they like what they get or not. I have sent so many things to my son's house and get nothing in return. The GD's are old enough now to respond so I don't like it that they can't send a little note saying thanks.

Judy, Yes, that doctor will get his. He will see when he get older, some doctor will treat him badly. No one ever thinks it will happen to them. But it will.

Chris, what a lovely story about Harold and Donna. How wonderful to know such a nice couple who are so caring. The bird house is just adorable as I am sure the one they made you is. I love the little door with the hinges and door knob. the cacti and pots are just perfect. What an artist he is. I hope your mom is feeling better during this week.

Penny hope your ankle is doing better.

I made oven fried sweet potatoes last night along with my "gormet" hamburgers as my DH calls them. I wanted to make a meatloaf but we were out at the movies and then stopped at Michael's so we got home too late. We went and saw the new Sherlock Holmes film. We don't go the movies very often anymore. We have problems with the bad language used in so many films as well as the violence.

I managed to get out of Michael's without spending a lot of money or buying things I am never going to use.

Have a great day everyone.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page