True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

This morning the wind was blowing so hard the trees were rocking back and forth from the roots upward. The wind was relatively warm so the wind was more exciting than an inconvenience. The power did go out for an hour and a half or so but since the outside temperature was so mild I did not have to worry about the pipes freezing or anything destructive like that. I went out later and I guess some branches were knocked down from the trees that line the road. The road crew must have been up and cleared them quickly.

I was in my work room looking for the wool strips and rug hook so I can work on my picture now that I ahve the yellow. While I was in there I found a book that had directions on how to make a child's sit on toy of a farm animal from foam and hairy cloth. I would like to make a slumber bag that is animal shaped as well but we will see how the time plays out. I did find the wool strips and rug hook.

Tomorrow the men are coming to slaughter the pigs and one bull calf. I hope the temperature drops and stays low so killing and lifting the pigs will be cleaner then doing it in the four inches of mud that is out there today. this is not my piece of the raising of the animals . I am hoping to go shopping.

I guess everyone must be very busy if only one person has posted since last night. I hope it is good busy ness that keeps everyone away.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  6:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Our wind is blowing really hard also. It has been 30-40 mph all day and wind gusts over 50mph. It is supposed to last through tonight and into tomorrow until afternoon. It is supposed to go below freezing so it will be cold. I'm sure everyone is busy as I am trying to get shopping done and gifts finished. I have to make a desert for a party tomorrow night and a lodge member is coming this evening from my husbands lodge to install the software for me to take over the Trestleboard, the masonic newsletter that comes out once a month. I need to go online and order some gift certificates in the morning and that will finish up my shopping except for my daughter that lives here in CA. I still haven't a clue what I'm going to buy her. All the other packages were mailed off yesterday.
Hang in there everyone we'll get it all done. lol good night, Betty
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  7:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
It has been a few weeks that I have been on this post. I have had a busy month like I see the rest of you have. Plus my computer has been in "the shop" I have(QUICKLY)read the post to get caught up on y'all.
I have been spending more time with my mom. She has had some health issues and I have noticed a little more forgetfulness than usual. I am not sure of what direction to go with that yet...I know that we all can be forgetful but this seems to be a little different. I just spent 2 1/2 hrs on her check book...something that she has always been right on the money with. And then there has been other things that is out of character. Just not quite sure what is going on.
Penny: I am not sure what has happened to your ankle?
Glenda: Your brother is ill with cancer...I will say a prayer for him and your family
Darlys I was going to ask about the name of the movie New in Town and there you had it on your post. I am going to get that for our Christmas movie day. We are having a low keyed Christmas and movies are one thing that we are going to do after dinner.
Charleen: welcome to the farm
Donna: I am in Suwanee Ga. I saw that you are in the next town of Duluth.
Judy: Hubby just got back from Canton Ohio. You are right....Where is the snow??? He said that there was rain but no snow.
I have recieved cards for my birthday and I want to thank all the farm gals that sent. It was such a treat to get them in the mail. Thank you so much for it meant a lot. It has been a funky Christmas season for me and to get the cards was a pick me up.
Thinking of you all and will try and get down on the farm a little more these next few weeks.
Great to be back with you all.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  05:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone.

Another beautiful day here with nice temperatures and just a few trees that still have there colorful brown, red or yellow leaves. The rest are pines, palms or green leafed trees.

Welcome Donna to our fun and friendly group.

I am getting the last of my Christmas stuff done. I finally got my DH to order the things for his folks. They are in their 90's and the best thing to get them are goodies they can indulge in like cookies or little cakes. Since they are Polish he went to a Polish bakery site and ordered some special baked things to be delivered to them. He also ordered some things for his sister and brothers. Then he thought why not himself so he ordered some breads for us.

My DD is so happy because this weekend her two youngest daughter return home from college for the winter break and don't go back to school until the end of January. Her husband retired from the police department yesterday at the age of 50. He now has to find another job. He have a job offer with the Long Beach, CA boys and girls club working with the older teenage boys. That is what he was doing while he was in the police dept....working with young men in trouble with the law. My SIL is a wonderful person.

I still have 2 Christmas movies to watch but I think I will wait to watch them on Christmas day. We always make it a tradition to see Christmas Carol with George C. Scott as Scrooge. Also, we always watch It's A Wonderful Life. I never tire of seeing those two films. Funny, after a while I started saying some of the lines with the characters. Like when the ghost that visits Scrooge says, "Much!" or when Scrooge says, "Bah, Humbug!" LOL

Well, I am about my day, now.

I am saying prayers for all of you in need. Penny, take care of that ankle.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  06:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Yes, BUSY is the word!!!! Seems like we all manage to stay busy especially at this time of year. I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up with the posts but , sure do enjoy reading them.
DH used to say "It takes me longer and longer to do less and less." If that is an effect of collecting a lot of years, It's no wonder we are all so busy. LOL
We have had a couple of very nice snows here in the SW but still way below what they say the average should be for total precip this year.
Betty , we have the wind here too but at least right now it is wet enough to not be blowing dust.
Thinking of those with illness in the family and sending best wishes.
Bethb
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  07:27:28 AM  Show Profile
Good morning farm gals,
I slept so good and doesn't that make a difference on how your day goes. I have lots to do but I am taking one thang at a time and enjoyin my day. I refuse to be multi tasking today. I read somewhere that Multi Tasking makes you stupid! I can see where that would be true, for you are not focused on the job at hand. And at this stage of my game...it is hard for me to remember anything.

The sun is out and the sky is blue...and that is all that is going to matter to me today. I am off for the next 2 weeks and lovin it.
Have a LARGE day!

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  12:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of the Senior Fitness Group at our community center. We had our Christmas luncheon and we gave out the pine cone angels.

I am the 3rd from right on front row. I have been teaching this group for 13 years.
They are a great bunch of women. I have been blessed to know them.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  2:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I guess I can officially join your group since I turned 50 on the 14th. Has it only been three days? oh, that's not a good sign! I read the last few pages,but it seems that it will take a while to catch up with all you gals. I look forward to being a part of your group.
debra e: what sort of fitness program do you lead the seniors in? You can see you are treasured by the group by how the ladies surrounding you in the photo are touching and leaning toward you!

Off to wrap.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  5:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The pigs are finally gone! The slaughterers came today. They do a nice job with a clean kill and efficient cuttng. They take the carcasses to the butcher to cut and he will send the hams and bacon out to be cured. WE do not see them until they are back in vacuum sealed packages. I am so glad to not be feeding and watering them anymore. They were getting large and the pen was so mucky from the warm weather that I was leary of being knocked on my keester in the mud. We also had a jersey bull calf done in. We will get a few roasts and several hundred pounds of hamburg from him. Hamurg is so much more versatile than a lot of the other cuts of meat. We started to raise a bull calf or two each summer because they cost about $20 each and then after the milk replacer is finished the grass is free to raise them. Usually in one season we will get up to 50 pounds of burger off of one. this calf was 18 months or so old and he was around 400 pounds hanging weight. That includes the bones so it is not all meat.

I thought I would go to the sewing store and avoid all of the slaughtering but that was not to be I had to help. I went afterward so that was alright too.

The temperatures dropped to the low 2o's last night so the ground was firmer this morning. We have a dusting of snow.

Have a good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  5:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Wind in the southwest...Betty in Calif and Holly in Vermont. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have air stagnation and fog as thick as pea soup. so, since there is no wind...no fires unless that is your only way to heat. we have a skift of snow, and temp in the high teens. We are having lentil soup tonight and I'm gonna try to get the presents wrapped. I HATE TO WRAP PRESENTS! I love to buy...so, if I could hire out to wrap it would be great. It took just 3 days for Joel's book to arrive from St. John's in Minn. via UPS. I am so happy it got here in time. Nothing of importance going on...so I will sign off and read all the posts. Blessings to you all!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  5:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
THANK YOU FARMGIRLS!!!
THANK YOU . . . for the Facebook birthday greetings! For the cards I've received in the mail!
I appreciate the thoughtfulness SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!
THANK YOU!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  5:23:03 PM  Show Profile
I can remember as a girl being hired to wrap presents. Things like that and babysitting don't happen much anymore. Our wind has died down and luckily we didn't have any dust since we had some rain last week. It will go down in the 20's tonight though.

Well, I'm off to a Christmas party. The furniture store where my husband works gives a party every year and hand out the bonuses. They usually have prim rib and ham but don't know what it will be this year. I am taking two Robert Redford cakes as ther'll be about 30 people there. It's usually fun, no alcohol which I don't drink anyway and everyone knows everyone.

Have a good evening, Betty
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  5:56:34 PM  Show Profile
OK Betty....what is a Robert Redford cake? The name definitely has me interested.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile
My father called Thursday night and said..he'll be fine..don't come..he'll need me more when and if he has surgery or starts chemo/radiation. So I'm greatful for his generosity and I'm home getting caught up on laundry and cleaning.

I was able to push my son to edit, rewrite and then polish his thesis statement and essay that is due Monday. He's proud of what he ended up with but he would have turned in his first draft just as proud...which is scary. I know most of you are talking about your grandkids...but I didn't get married until I was over 30....I remember when I took my son into a store one time..the clerk said..."oh isn't your grandma nice to buy you something.." I just smiled..and left..I wasn't about to tell her I was the mother...

I decided NOT to put up my snowman collection this year (always in the kitchen) but then it snowed lightly most of the day today so I saw that as a"sign" that I shouldn't skip my annual tradition...so my kitchen is now all decked out with snowmen and snowman dish towels, etc.

Dinner was a protein shake and then later a bowl of popcorn.

Oh, and two full strands of lights went out on the Christmas tree yesterday (someone's testing me) but I'm not going to undecorate the tree just to replace lights..so part of our glorious tree is dark...and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody...

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

-Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  9:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, A Robert Redford cake really isn't a cake. Why it's called that I don't know. It has a layer of butter, flour and nuts on the bottom that is baked and after it has cooled you put a layer of cream cheese, sugar and cool whip mixed together, then a layer of one package instant vanilla pudding and also a chocolate one mixed with milk then it's topped off with plain coolwhip with nuts and grated chocolate on top. It is yummy though.

Susan, after I had my last baby at 40 everyone would think I was her grandmother so I know how you feel.

The party went well. I won one of the door prizes, a really soft fleese lap robe.
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  03:40:59 AM  Show Profile
hi ladies--welcome to the newbies. looking forward to reading all your exploits.
sounds like we are all staying busy and warm--maybe not exactly dry, judging by some posts, rain is working its way across the nation. we had a smattering of snow yesterday. went out early for breakfast as we always do and it was swirling around. felt seasonal and not bad to drive in. didn't last though, and in another day or two it will be gone.
currently we are immersed in our next home improvement project--and we spent ALL DAY yesterday cleaning our basement. when we built our master bedroom this year we had a lovely crawlspace poured underneath it. its tall enough i can stand up between the floor joists, but we followed a suggestion of our contractors and stuck an old office chair in there. so we climb in the space and scoot around in the chair to put stuff away. that way we don't clonk our heads on the center beam. DH has to bend over a bit to avoid the pipes and heat runs, but i don't :-). so i scooted and we hauled and by the time we were done the main part of the basement was the emptiest it has been in YEARS and our stuff was either thrown away, stuck in bags for donations, or packed in tubs and neatly stored in the crawlspace! the plan is to move our food storage into the old coal room (which will then also be available as a brooder room for BABY CHICKS (do i sound excited????) move the tools out of the coal room into the now empty half of the basement which will become an actually organized and highly useful place for my DH to set up a woodworking shop. then we can build some cabinets and things for his workshop and take down a couple partition walls down there and at some point maybe even finish the other half into a useable exercise room!
today we are off to my parent's for Christmas brunch. my mom has been dealing with some health issues--currently a very painful back condition, so it will be a quiet day. i seem to be having an issue with my baby brother--not sure of the nature of it but i have done something to anger him. we are a very non confrontational group so i don't know what will happen. my family is a very nice group of people, but i have always kind of been the outcast, so gatherings are not something i look forward to--i usually go in with some apprehension, because most of the time at some point in the day something happens that reminds me of my status as not quite on par with everyone else. its nothing malicious--just an attitude that makes itself apparent in some way. i usually come home with hurt feelings. the bad part is i go each time with an open mind--hoping things will be different, and then out of the blue something happens. i love my family, but its hard to completely trust them--and that makes me kind of sad. its also hard to watch my folks right now--they are getting old--my dad has some mild dementia, and my mom is stuggling to keep things together. i have to give her credit--she has never been an especially strong person, and she has stepped up really well. their relationship has never been an overly affectionate one, but their devotion to one another is very clear to see right now. we have been helping out with errands etc. when asked. of the nearby family we are geographically the farthest away, so she tries to only call on us once a week. sunday evening seems to be our time--we hit the grocery store and whatever else is needed. it has been hard to watch them coping but not being able to "fix" things. i had a ton of anger at first, but when i realized i was angry not at them, but at time for passing and making them old, the anger went away. so its kind of an emotional mixed bag with my family. hopefully the day will go smoothly.
sorry to ramble.
penny--hope your ankle is better each day and you will be dancing soon! glenda--your brother is in my prayers.
happy thoughts and prayers to all of you--have a great sunday! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  04:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Chris,
I sure hope your Christmas brunch with family went well. I understand the uncomfortable coolness that family members can project when they are upset. And it is so frustrating when they won't tell you what they are upset about!!
How was your parents' health? Are you close distance-wise to them or are you separated by a lot of miles? When their health starts to act up, it sure is nice to be just a quick trip from them. I was two states away when my folks started having problems, the travel was difficult.
Your basement sounds like quite an accomplishment. Your hubby must be so excited about his potential woodshop.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  04:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Susan,
Congratulations on ignoring the dark Christmas lights. Who has time to undecorate/redecorate a tree right now? And Kudos for getting your snowmen up!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  04:57:29 AM  Show Profile
That Robert Redford cake sounds yummy. My favorite Christmas cake has always been Bacardi Cake but I may try this next time we have some special occasion.
I'm not decoration this year as we will be away. That way I get to enjoy all the lights but don't need to do the work. The idea of coming home in January to a house that needs mayor undecorating did not have much appeal so I decided to "pass". So far I'm still happy with that decision.
Chris, hang in there. The day will come when you can look back and feel like tha pieces all fit pretty smoothly. For now it sounds like you are doing the best with the circumstances. I'm thinking ahead to baby chicks too and wishing my family was not scattered over so much territory.
bb
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  07:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Chris, I read your post about your parents and thought I was feeling the same way with my mom.I saw changes going on with her this summer and didn't understand them.Sometimes she would a little distant,stubborn,moody,anxious,and obbsessive in keeping things at her house clean and together/organized. I would leave her angry and upset.I was trying to help her with things but it was not enough. Then in Sept. some confusion and much forgetfulness made me very puzzled. Then I got it...There IS something going on with her mental state. (Maybe some dementia.)She was only trying to stay in control. Relaizing this I now have been able to let go of the anger and be more compassionate. My mom has always been ther for me...I want to be totaly there for her.
Thanks for writing your post about your mom and dad. It made me feel better

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile
hi all--thanks so much for all the kind thoughts. the brunch was fine--baby brother seems to be over whatever was bothering him. he recently had to travel to south america on business and he managed to track down the woman who was a foreign exchange student with us my junior year. they had a great visit together and he was all excited to tell me about it. he is a crosby stills nash and young maniac and i had come across an old crosby stills and nash album at an antique mall (hows that for making you feel old????) and i gave it to him. he seemed genuinely pleased and we had a good visit overall. as for my folks--they were doing okay--mom is trying some muscle relaxers to help with the pain--don't think they are doing a lot of good but they are making her a bit dopey. she is very sleep deprived too. fortunately her appt. with the pain dr. for her next epidural is tuesday and my older brother is taking her. a lot of people don't get a lot of relief until the second shot, so i have fingers crossed that this one will help with the pain a LOT. prayers to this effect would be appreciated! we aren't really far from them--about an hours drive. my older brother is closer and his wife cleans a couple houses very nearby and my niece by marriage works just north of them and goes by their house every day--so there are plenty of people to chip in. so all was well and i came away from the day glad that i went. just need to help them over this rough patch and then figure out where they need to go from here. a friend of mine recommended a great gal who comes in and cleans for them once a week, but they may need a little more help than that now. have to take each day as it comes for right now and watch and see what develops. thanks for asking everyone.
debra--i am glad my writing was of help to you--these are issues that have to be faced and dealt with--anything that helps the process along, i am glad to do.
and OH robert redford cake--haven't had that in ages! YUMMMMY!!!!
beth--do you know what kind of chicks? i am torn between banties and heavy breeds--i have had the heavies before and loved them--but i have always wanted banties too. what to do......
have a great night, gals! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile
~~~~whew~~~~ did some whirlwind baking all last week.*picking dough outta my hair and dusting flour off my shirt* I'm done with that now. I trade with my Mama. That way we both get a variety.
Yuns have been busy...again! hahahaha
Charleen,Donna&Beth...Welcome to the ggroup!I know you'll like it here. So many supportive Sistas!Enjoy!
Chris, nice homemade card...loved it!
Patty,yummy looking goodies ya made there Gal!Does WOP really mean without papers? I thought that was just a nick-name given to Italians.hahaha Nice pic of her and your DH too!Thank you for sharing that!
Thanks to all of you who have been sharing pictures lately,I've enjoyed all of them!(Claudia)
We've had a Cooper's Hawk hanging out close to the bird feeder,nabbing doves for the past 3 days. He wasn't here today though, probably got tired of poultry and decided to go for some rodents.....shhhhhhh....don't tell the girls though, ok?
Gonna whip DH up a new Christmas stocking this week....his rotted since last year. hahaha Old...like he is...lolol....don't you dare tell him!!! *scowls at you*
We are having cold weather(20-30's)and finally had an inch of snow yesterday. It's gone now though.
Well, gonna go watch something Christmassy and have tea!
'Nite Ladies!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  4:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Chris I am glad the brunch went well for you. I can empathize with feeling an outsider. I get along with each of my siblings but we are not close. We would be there for each other if any of us needed anything. When we are all together our oldest brother controls the mood of the event. He has always believed that he should have been and only child. He does not believe that he is condescending but he manages in some way to make one or another of us feel inadequate when he is visiting. The other three of us get along alright. I am not always sure what not to say when in the group so I just keep quiet.

Today was seasonably cold and cloudy. Chores only take a little time since all I have to do is feed the cows and put them outside. somedays I have to feed the laying hens but not everyday.

Taking care of parents can be hard. It is not the interaction so much as treading the fine line between allowing independence and taking care so they can be safe. We care for a neighbor who is living with dementia. She is 75 this year and has a masters in Library science and MD and a JD. She has lost more than some of us have ever had. She was a caretaker of many. She has progressed through many of the stages of grief that accompanny loss of memory and problem solving. We have tried hard to allow her enough independence but not enough that she is in danger. Her biggest grief is losing her privilege to drive. She has forgotten a lot of things but not that I took away her driving license. Actually we went to a person who tests for cognitive competence and the tester said she could not problem solve quick enough to be a safe driver. We knew she was getting lost a lot and should not be driving but the tester confirmed this and gave us a way to pass the responsibility to a stranger. But, I was the one to take her keys. Now she has help 8 hours a day. She no longer cooks and many of her self care skills are waning as well. The hardest part for me is that while she can still decipher words she can no longer read. This disease is nasty and unpredictable.

If you hatch eggs what do you do with the roosters?

susan I am glad that your son editted and rewrote his report. That is one of the hardest things. My children think I am crazy when I insist they do it.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  04:37:49 AM  Show Profile
Chris,
It sounds like your gift to your brother was a real hit. I have a very troubled relationship with my sis - since forever. five years difference in age, so we weren't all that close growing up and there was just the two of us. My folks died about 6 years ago within about six months of one another and my sister was left in charge of their estate. It includes two parcels, each with a house and some acreage. Only one has even been put up for sale thus far. I am extremely annoyed with the length of time this has taken, the tax consequences we face and the fact that the property came into her care before its value collapsed and it could have sold easily.

Anyway, all that aside, last week was my birthday and we still talk on holidays, etc. so she called me. Even though I am so frustrated I enjoyed that connection with family. We talked about our folks, grandmother, surviving cousins, aunts, uncles and it was so meaningful to me. So, I think I have an idea how you felt when you made your brother smile by knowing what he would like. Good for you.

Well, best of luck to the both of us and all our farmgirl sisters struggling with family issues this holiday season ... and who isn't!!

marianne
farmgirl #2415
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  04:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Beth,
I remember that Bacardi cake. I haven't had that in years . . . actually remember getting a bit of a headache after licking the bowl that had the icing leftovers! Between the rum and all the sugar, whew!

I am a bit behind on everyone's "story" since I am new . . . but, I hope you have a safe trip and lucky you to return to an "undressed" house after the holidays!

marianne

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page