True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

I agree about bioodiversity. We have groups around here that go out and try to eliminate the non native plant species in the fields and along the road. Purple loosestrife is a common target. Some years we have many monarch butterflies take flight but this is not many years in succession. I think the last big flight was 4 or 5 years ago. I am saddened each year when we see the monarchs late in the season and no new ones take flight. I try to keep the milkweed growing along the field road but some years it makes no difference. We have garter snakes in our garden and fields. When my daughter starts squawking I tell her it is a sign of a healthy eco system to have big snakes. (18 inches is big) We do not have many bats right now. There is some disease that is attacking the bats in their wintering caves called white nose. In years past we would turn on the outside spotlight and watch the bats catch the night insects. It was better than a movie.
Several years ago now there was an article in the paper about the people in the new suburbs of Burlington(biggest city in our fair state) getting upset because the deer were eating their ornamentals. I wanted to shake their silly selves and tell them the deer have been living there far longer than the squatters have and to provide browse for them.

My first son has a birth uncle named John Johnson. He lives in North Carolina i think.

this is the last week of deer rifle season and so far no one has taken any deer off our property. We spoke to two of the hunters today and they said they have seen several doe but no buck.

Today the temperatures were in the low 50's. We spent most of the day outside cleaning up the yard and drive so the snow plows can get up and not break anything when clearing the snow. The yard looks so much better now and I do not have to worry about losing something under the snow when it comes and it will come. The trees are all gray now without any leaves on them. some of the apple trees still have apples on them. The one on the corner of the forest and our road is all dark grey with bright yellow apples hanging. the one down the road has deep red apples. I really must get my camera out and I really must learn how to post pictures on this forum. The bright colors are made even more spectacular by the starkness of the landscape.

Matzo ball chicken soup for supper tonight.

Good night everyone. Sweet dreams and no night sweats.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It has rained off and on all day and has been just miserable. This is not usual for the desert but I will take all the rain we can get. There is another storm to come in Wed. night or Thurs. that might make it difficult for our guests to come for dinner and we have masonic friends that planned on going to family for Thanksgiving and may not be able to since they would have to go over one of the passes so we told them if they couldn't make it to their family to come have dinner with us as we'll have plenty, especially if our family can't make it.

I have another friend who has to move her chickens. Where they are now they have to be moved as the property has sold and she has no place else to move them to except here so she'll be moving 6 or 7 chickens here tomorrow. She has movable pens and coops so it won't be a problem. Her place is up for sale so once it sells she can move onto property where she can have them. She's attached to them and she has no family close by. She had to move them from her place some time ago due to new restrictions on having them so they've been moved and moved again for some time.

I didn't do much today after I got back from town so I hope to get busy tomorrow. Have a good night everyone, Betty
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  7:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Good evening... off schedule again today. Not my usual morning coffee. Well, Jake is back home again. I thought they would never let him go. They put him on a blood thinner and wanted to make sure there was no hemorrhaging in his brain before they did. Apparently, when he went in last week in the squad he had hemorrhaging. This was the first I knew about it. What a way to stress a mama! The bleeding has quit so they released him with blood thinner late last night. Thank you for all your prayers.

Darlys- I hope you are home safe and sound by now. I am sure you are totally exhausted...lol.

Judy - I am so sorry to hear of your Aunt. I have a card ready to go out to your mother tomorrow.

Glenda - I pray the drs. give your brother some encouraging news tomorrow. And remember he is not alone as long as he knows he has you. My prayers are with you, him and your family.

Betty - I think Silkies are beautiful. My parents have some silkies. I hope you have good luck with the incubator.

Nancy - It has been so much fun this Christmas. I hope everyone enjoys the gifts as much as I have enjoyed creating the,. Last week I bought several pieces of glass baking dishes and a glass fruit bowl and etched them today them with family names. They turned out great. I used my cricut and vinyl to make the stencils. I did some for myself as well. Will be great when I take a dish to a family or church dinner or when my husband takes dishes to the Masonic Lodge meetings.

Penny - Prissy is adorable... Hey, I so wish I had your 8 bunks for the holidays...lol. I will be fixing Thanksgiving dinner on Friday for 20 or more people...lol. And I will have to find room for over half of them to sleep. We could never afford to get rid of our motorhome...lol.

Claudia- *sniff-sniff* . Thanks for sharing the story of your father. My heart is with you as you go through the holidays....and now making wonderful new memories.

Chris - I am going to look for "bringing nature home" at our library. It sounds like something I would read.

Holly- I have milkweed growing in a flower bed at our home in Ohio. I haven't started any here yet. But I paid dearly for the milkweed at a nursery when I started it..lol. But it did spread and I loved it. Not only did it attract the butterflies, My twins would gather up the caterpillars and watch them turn into butterflies. I home schooled them when they were young and only once did they actually get to see the butterfly emerge from the chrysalis. It was something. A very violent thing.

Well, off to finish cleaning the kitchen up. Then to bed. Have a good night.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Good night ladies!

Thanksgiving at my house, ok?????? Yesterday I was out trying to fill a hole some varmit has burroughed under our coop and was sitting on a brick walkway I built in front of the door. I look up and about 30 feet from me five turkeys come strolling by from my back field, past me and onto the path into the woods which goes to our fire pit. Wish I'd had my camera and gun in that order, lol. Anyway, about 1/2 hour later they come back the other way, as though they haven't a care in the world. Maybe they were missing someone because last year we had six. I think they were up to my waist in height so imagine what size they are! I threw out some chicken feed on the path for them in case they come back.

That was my thrilling weekend. Bed time now, work tomorrow.

Good night ladies,
Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  05:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

Penny, I was just on FB this morning and got to see the cute pictures of Prissy. What cute poses you were able to get but I like the one you have here in the bed the best. You sound like you really have your hands full with all that work and visitors, too. I am praying for your back to get better soon. Sometimes when I get on overload I feel like I am going so fast on the inside and I am going so slow on the outside.

Claudia that is so beautiful what you said about Thanksgiving and your dad. I always remember my folks on Thanksgiving and thank God for giving me such good parents. My mom was such a dear and I remember all those fun Thanksgivings we had together. Somehow, life was never dull around our house. The funniest Thanksgiving was the time when the bird was supposed to be roasting but when my mom went to baste it she found out the oven was not working. So she took it to the neighbo
r's house to cook. After an hour or so Smoke began to come out of the oven. After looking into the back of the oven she found a burnt potato. Their teenage son had forgotton he had put in a potato to bake the day before and left it there. Well that Thanksgiving we didn't eat until 6:30 p.m. Boy, were we hungry.

Patty, glad to hear that Jake is finally home. I am still praying for him everyday that he will heal well. Healing is a slow process and often takes so much time.

Darlys, what a wonderful trip you have had and thank you so much for sharing it with us. I enjoyed reading about all the places you visited and all the things you did. I could almost feel those island breezes and see those sunsets.

Ginny, oh I would have loved to have seen those turkeys. We used to see lots of turkeys here before the builders started building so many houses. The first year I was here about 8 turkeys ran across the back of my house one morning. It was such a surprise I didn't have time to get my camera. After that we kept seeing them all around. The following year more and more houses were built and now we haven't seen any for the past two years. All we see now that resemble turkeys are turkey vultures. They do a great job of cleaning up the dead creatures especially the armadillos.

Ladies I did a really ( I don't even now what to call it) thing last evening. I rarely use my dishwasher. I ususally wash the dishes by hand because we are only 2 people. Last night my hubby says we should use the dishwasher once in a while. So he puts the dishes in and I go get the soap and load it in. I spill a little and he says to clean it up or it will make to many suds. So I do. About 10 after turning on the machine a bunch, more like a million suds start coming out of the machine. He and I spend the next hour cleaning up the floor and the machine. I put in the wrong soap. I used dish soap instead of dishwasher soap. I had to take all the water out of the machine by hand with all that soap. I felt just like I Love Lucy. I could have been on the Funniet Video. I am still afraid to that I will have soap suds if I use the machine so I still have to clean the soap cup better. LOL Well, at least I have a really clean kitchen floor now. And I would say the dishes in the washer are very clean, too.

To all of you that are having back pains and other ailments take care of yourselves. I am praying for you. This is not a good time of year to be hurting with all there is to do and all the visitors. My SIL will be here in a week. I hope she doesn't mind "lived in" because that is what it is around here. My sewing room is filled with in progress items and I have a working kitchen. She is a city lady who lives in a beautiful home in a country-like setting in mid-state New York. Her house is so perfect that you could go in at any time with a camera crew and take pictures for a magazine. I'm still trying to figure out how she does it. Not that I would ever want to live that way myself. Too dull.

I am going for my walk and first having another cup of coffee. Love you all.

Hugs,

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, how are ya, what's going on, good to see ya.....lol...

I am taking time this morning to comment on everyone that has posted since my post yesterday, First thing I HAVE MISSED YA'LL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Judy, oh how I've missed our talks....I hope your Ma is better today, I know it has to be tough for her. Please tell her I send my love, I feel connect not only cause of MJF but kombucha too..I have her card ready to be mailed today. I will continue to have all of you in my prayers. Isn't it amazing all the things they want to charge you for funerals including digging the grave. It really amazes me. Seems like we are always posting at the same time...lol...I am so glad you felt the hug, here is a few more {{{hugs}}}. And about the company, it doesn't matter if I don't want them here, DH never turns anyone away even when I try to explain it to him, why...even when he says he will take care of everything...now that is really funny, he starts out doing so but that doesn't last long. Sat. night I must have had to find CD's and change them for him at least 10 times...really at least that and maybe more. I finally told him he would have to get up and do it because my back was hurting. Our disk changer is in the house and we have the speakers outside so it can be heard around the fire. I swear sometimes he just doesn't realize how much work it is for me...and here comes Thanksgiving and he has already invited at least 6+ people, I was only planning on cooking for us...now who knows who will be dropping by. I really do love company but not EVERY weekend this close to Christmas...I will never get my presents completed. Thank you so much for being concerned for me...think I might just run away...lol

Glenda, sure wish I could say that to these people, but DH always seems to tell them different...there have been times when people show up and I have to ask him if he knew they were coming and he says yes, didn't I tell you...and he knowing good and well he didn't...because he knows that I'm tired and trying to get my back better and work on Christmas presents...I even told him again last night how I am tired of someone being here EVERY weekend for the last 4 weeks...don't think it sunk in tho...love that man but sometimes.....mmmmm...

Claudia, you are so right about Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for, enjoy your Mom, I miss mine so very much. It sounds like you are going to have a very busy holiday, but sure you are happy to have the family there. I am sorry to read the story about your Dad, that has to be tough. I hope that you still have a great Thanksgiving with your family

Chris, thank you for the sweet comment about Prissy, she is something else...just one of the sweetest pups I've ever had. For a dog that is a hunting dog and I'm sure raised in a pen with more of the same...she has to be the best. When I tried to get her to come in the house the first night we were back from the beach, she wouldn't, tried for a week, until I just decided to pick her up and bring her in...well as you can see in the pic...we can't keep her out now...lol. Can you tell me who writes the book you were talking about "bringing nature home"? Thanks

Holly, we deer hunt every year to put food on the table...but makes me upset that their are some hunters that kill and don't even have their deers processed for food. I have always believed if you kill something it should only be for food...well except the coyotes that try to get my animals...ohh that soup sounds so good too.

Betty CA, it is so nice of you to let your friend keep her chickens at your place. True farmgirlish, you are...lol...I hope your family will be able to make it for Thanksgiving.

Patty, glad to hear Jake is back home, wow he is being through so much. Bless him...I will continue to keep him in my prayers. I am so glad you like the pic of Prissy. Yeah, the 8 bunk beds are nice. This was a deer camp before it became our home. DH moved here permanently here right before we met. He use to live in a 3500 sq foot home when he was married before and decided that this is where he wanted to live from now on. We added a bedroom on last year because when we first got married we slept in a single bed for the first year and a half of our marriage. Jim used to say that when we looked back that he believed we would think those the happiest year and a half of our lives...lol....not sure of that, I love our queen size bed... I bet the etched glass is beautiful.

Ginny, We also have turkey that just walk through the yard and field. It still surprises me that turkey season is in the spring not now...lol..told DH that wish it was now since we could use one for Thanksgiving. GA seasons are a little different that SC. We use to have 2 days at Thanksgiving to hunt turkey, now that makes sense to me...oh well...got to keep reminding myself I live in GA now...

Nancy, I'm glad that you saw Pris on FB, I have to share it there too so family can see her. I'm so glad you liked it. I added the bed pic on FB after I showed it to my sisters here..lol...thanks, I hope this back heals soon too..I hate Dr. but looks like I might have to go anyway. Nancy, I bet you aren't the only one(I did it to once) that has used the wrong soap in the dishwasher, as you said, something good came from it...a really clean floor...I can just see you as I Love Lucy...lol..cute..I know people like your SIL...I never feel comfortable in homes like that...I hate to even walk in or sit down...love my "lived in" home....glad to know if I ever get to visit you, I will be comfortable...lol...we can wish and hope can't we.

Well, I got to finish my sewing for my barters and a book by Beverly Lewis that has to be back to the library by Wed. Then the Christmas cards for my Christmas Card Swaps, hope to stop back in soon

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  10:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!
Today is hubby's birthday!He is 61.We did cards and presents with our coffee this morning.We do gag gifts and funny cards.(I bought 11 $'s worth of cards...I couldn't pick one...I liked them all. of course they were about going "over the hill")It was a fun time.Tonight we are going to a local restaurant with my mom and hubby will get a free birthday meal.Mama always decorates her kitchen party style like we are small kids. She bakes a favorite cake and streamers and banners everywhere. She started on this yesterday.
The weather is warm here. A little too warm. We have the windows and doors open. Hard to believe that it is Nov.
I was wondering how Jake was doing and when will he be with you Patty? Will he be there for Thanksgiving? I know that this is a hard time for you all.
Penny is your back better? Mine is just a bit tender yet. I went to the chiropractor last week and that helped.
Judy it is good to read your post. You are so funny! Hope your mom is doing ok. I got a card ready to send to her.
Well I am off to make up the bed and maybe take a couple of hours to read and nap. I am off this week and it FEELS WONDERFUL.
Love and Prayers to all.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  10:42:12 AM  Show Profile
I just want to scoop all of you up and give you great big hugs. All of you. I have just read through what has gone on since I last posted Friday evening. I love all of you a lot. The word love is often tossed around carelessly - but I want you to know it is just pouring from my heart to you.

I am so sorry for your family's loss Judy and Patsy. I have sent a card to your mother. I know it will be hard for her - it always is to lose someone you love - even when it is expected, it's still hard - but what wonderful daughters she has to comfort her.

Patty - Happy birthday to your DH. OOOOOppps!!! I meant Debra. I am sooo sorry. Debra, Happy, happy birthday to your hubby!

And one more quick edit here ... just in case we all get in over our heads ... May each of you have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving ... whether you are in the midst of chaos or enjoying the bliss of solitude -- enjoy your day and know that one thing I am giving thanks for is that each of you has been brought into my life. As different as we all are, as scattered across the map as we are ... we are connected and we are sisters of the heart - on the farm (and off).

Glenda, you and your brother are in my thoughts and prayers. And, gf, you had waaay too much fun in Maui. I hope they let you return.

Nancy - I feel sometimes like we are kin. I just have to catch up with you. Loved the sudsy kitchen! GF, my whole house needs a sudsing!

The flight home was long and uneventful. The movie was Larry Crowne. Cute. Our luggage came down the chute first and DS was pulling up to the curb just as we navigated our way out of baggage claim to the sidewalk. It was chilly at SFO. I could hear (I think it was Glenda) yelling from inside one of the bags - "back to Maui - send me back!" Maybe it was Patty. I'm not sure. I guess I'll find out in a few minutes when I unpack. Nancy never raises her voice ... so it wasn't her. I think Holly slipped out, got on the wrong plane and is somewhere in Honolulu. (She won't like it there - too metro.) I had to drag Penny out from under the bed. She said she lost her bathing bikini under there - likely story.

Dang! Those suitcases are waiting to be unpacked and this house put in order. And who knows which of you are going to pop out of a suitcase with a mop, dust cloth and the energy for pre-company cleaning! I think we should all just sit and drink coffee and tea and hot chocolate this morning. Course then we'll be lining up to use the pottys.

I be back later, gfs.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Nov 21 2011 1:31:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ruby V
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Ruby
Chilliwack BC
Canada
220 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  10:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Nancy - when I was a young housewife, I ran out of dishwasher soap so just figured I'd use liquid dishsoap instead! {laughing} I've never seen so many soap suds in my life! It was quite a sight and took me forever to clean up. I hadn't thought of that in decades, thanks so much for sharing your story and bringing a smile to my face with my own dishwasher disaster memory!

Ruby ~ Sister #3597
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  10:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Debra E, tell hubby happy birthday from me, my hubby turned 61 Oct 29th...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  11:26:36 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! I am 54 years old and would love to join this group!
have read the last 8 pages and you all are funny! and loving and caring. I don't have any children, my husband died suddenly 1 1/2 years ago and my mom is 82 years old and is not in the best of health but all of her family usually live to be at least 90 years old so I am hoping and praying that she makes it at least that long too. I have two older brothers that live about 20 miles away but rarely visit with us and my younger sister lives in Oklahome and only comes once or twice a year.
however, we talk frequently and i get so frustrated at being so wishy washy with her! I love mary janes forum and all the gals and the ideas i think are just beyond cute and i let her depress me because she doesn't care for any of it. i am just going to have to put my foot down with her and say this is it. This is who i choose to be and love me or leave me but i am not going to change. sorry, didn't mean to get on my soap box.
will be reading and responding to you from now on! yea for the 50's and older girls~!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

angelab
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Angela
Stark NH
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  11:42:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm 54 and looking forward to becoming a farmer.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Janie and Angela. Janie, we are almost neighbors!
Its Thanksgiving week and we are all going to be so busy, so I want to say now - love, hugs, blessings, and thanks so much to all of you, one of the biggest things I am thankful for this year is finding you all out there--what a tremendous blessing you have been. Our stories about our funny mishaps, our sorrows, our weather, our homes all over this country, sharing ideas, even sharing vacations, WOW! it is a HUGE blessing to me.
We need to start a new sisterhood for all of us who have used our dishwasher to clean up our entire house!! Bet that would be most of us. Me for sure. I also thought a few years back that soap was soap and used the dish soap on purpose!!!DUH!!
Darlys welcome back--I haven't had that much fun on a REAL vacation.

Tried to upload a pic but can not get it to work today. I wonder why sometimes it works and sometimes not. I do it the same every time.

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 21 2011 12:16:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile
thanks glenda! couldn't see your picture but I know how you feel! I have 2 dogs that were rescued and still cannot believe someone left them. they are so precious!
janiee
farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Janie, I when I saw it didn't upload, I edited out the reference to the dogs. You're quick, girl.
You have come to the right place to enjoy the most loving bunch of sisters you will find anywhere.

A big farmgirl hug from
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Doje
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Donna
Monson Massachusettes
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I'm 53 and would love to join your group. I have 3 grown children and am now discovering who I am when I'm not mom. I love the magazine and have wanted to talk to some of you for quite some time.

Always Dreaming
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile
hi donna! welcome to the forum. have been here for 3 years and i love it. i understand where you are coming from - i was a wife for over 30 years and now i have to figure out who i am NOW.
keep in touch!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey - I'm back for a minute because I realized I was saying happy birthday to the wrong husband. OOOps!

And since the top of the page where I edited ... we have Janiee, Angela and Donna hopping on. Welcome to our new girlfriends. You're going love it here ... and anywhere else we go. We are the lovingest bunch o' babes (okay, maybe not exactly "babes" - but that's just a matter of our chronological giftedness) you will ever encounter.

Janiee, I am so sorry for your loss. And, as for soapboxes, we all get on ours at one time or another -- except for Nancy who opens hers and pours it in the dishwasher. (She has a very clean kitchen!)

Tell us more about yourselves. We are open and friendly and support each other beyond the norm. We want you to be part of us! Penny and I just jumped on last July. Some of the gfs are even newer - but you'd never know it. We bond quickly.

Okay, mystery solved - it was Glenda who was yelling in the suitcase ... don't know what I'm going to do with her. Nancy was humming Mele Kalikamaka. Debra's lei is wilting but she's refusing to get out. Good grief! You gfs! Did you have to eat ALL the chocolate macadamia nut candy while you were traveling? Those grass skirts are kind of tangled. I hope I don't find one of the pool boys at the bottom of your suitcase.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile
OMG Great BIG Welcomes to our new girls, Janie, Angela, and Donna. So happy to have you joining us. I never realized how boring my life was until I became a MJFarmgirl. You are going to love it here. You'll soon feel like you have been friends with this bunch of girls in no time. Everyone just opens up and shares trials, fun, advice and so on. So if you ever have a question, you'll find a answer right here. What I love so much is, I love my crafts and no one in my family is into them like I am. They think things are nice but don't want to try it. Here, there's someone sharing all kinds of craft ideas and how to's. Well I could go on and on about what I love about these girls, but I bet you have already found it yourself. Can't wait to hear more about your life and interest. Farmgirl Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Debra, happy happy to your hubby-sorry I missed that before.

-Darlys, that wasn't me yelling, it was one of the pool boys trying to get away from me. You should have packed more tropical monkeys, mai ties and etc....it was a long ride and we got really bored...so sorry about the mac-nuts but we got hungry too. Gosh, I hate to get kicked out of Hawaii--was it the whole darn state or just Maui? Oh, well, at least I got one a'them pool boys for a souvenier. (I sure wish Mary Jane would add spellcheck for us)

Welcome to the forum Donna--we are all evolving and growing and learning and becoming....it really is all part of the journey....and it's a lovely journey... with all its bumpy places and twists and turns and surprises along the way.... we've all had them ...and we are all here for you. In fact, we'll come looking for you if we get worried......right girls?

A big farmgirl hug from
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  3:56:38 PM  Show Profile
hi all--welcome to the new girls, janie (new to here) donna and angela. i am also a newbie too. well--you are all crazy busy as usual--darlys it sounds like you had a perfect homecoming--i'm glad. nancy--my mom did the same thing with our dishwahser once when she and my dad were babysitting our dog. but she used dr. bronner's magic soap and it was pretty much everywhere. at least the kitchen got REAL clean! debra--happy birthday to your DH--sounds like it was a fun day.
okay--for those who asked--the author of "bringing nature home" is douglas tallamy. now he is an entemologist and there is some latin nomenclature in the book--and some references to statistics and stuff--but its very understandable. i just bought another book--haven't cracked the cover yet, but its about the same topic and a bit less scientific--"noah's garden" by sara stein. had excellent reviews on amazon.
i run a plant nursery and this book is making me rethink a lot of what i have done in the past. fortunately (sort of) i specialize in late season plants, many of which are natives. i am a big believer in teaching my customers, not just throwing plants at them, and i think i have found the really important "cause" i need to teach now. my background is in ecology, so this really resonates with me. anyway--these two books will take up a lot of my winter "down time" as i read and rethink and plan for the growing season next year.
i also want to share a quote a cousin of mine put on facebook--its just so beautiful, i knew you would all appreciate it:
"man...Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present: the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived" the Dalai Lama.
have a great night everyone!

not a boy--long story

Edited by - Clumboy on Nov 21 2011 3:57:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Judy I love my slow cooker in the winter. Your black beans sound wonderful. I have beef stew from the roast we had (in the slow cooker) yesterday.

Patty I am praying daily for Jake and for you. Hard to be the mom sometimes.

Debra I would love info on how to make those. They would be great to add to the baskets that I put together for my kids.

Thelma I am with you on cooking the Thanksgiving meal. Everyone that can will be at my house. They all bring stuff so it makes for lots of food and lots of fun.

Chris that is so cool that you paint the cards and then print them. My husband won't even let me near a paint brush when we paint the house or a room.
Could you imagin if I tried to do art work. LOL

Claudia would you quit hogging all the snow! I have been whinning for weeks, and I do mean weeks, that it is cold and no snow! Now I know it is all in Washington. LOl
Send some my way. The skiers are about to have heart failure here. They want to ski for Thanksgiving.

Holly I have a friend that has a cow and they share the milk with my family and a few others. I never thought about making my own yogurt. Do you have a yogurt maker
or do you have a recipe you would share?

Glenda I will add you brother to my prayer list. I will also pray for you.

I will try to catch up with all of you later. I am so far behind.Logan should fully recover but the lymph nodes can take up to 2 monthe to go down.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Just want to share real quick that something has been nagging me all day. I finally looked at the calender and now I know what. Nov. 6, 1966 my Daddy died, and today is his Birthday, he would have been 79 today. He died at the young age of 33

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, I am exhausted.... wondering if I will ever be back to my self...lol. The 4 boys and their spouses/families will all arrive on Wed. night so I will have to make sure we all have sleeping arrangements. My daughters hubby will also arrive to join his family already here. So much to do and still loads of shopping. Today I spent most of my time giving my granddaughter sewing lessons. SHe made dishcloths from recycled flannel sheets and a doll quilt for her sister. She tied all the dishcloths up in bundles of 5 and put a tag on them. She is pretty excited about having Christmas gifts. I plan on starting on the chicken coop we bought and turn it into a pigeon coop this week. My babies are ready to be moved into their new home.

Darlys - You lost me way back at Ruby's Diner. I love the retro diner! I wasn't done with my rubyburger and Ruby rings.

Debra- Happy Birthday to your DH.

Janie, Angela, and Donna- I want to chime in here with the rest of the welcoming committee with a big shout! So glad you joined us.

Nancy- I too have shared in the suds in the kitchen. I did it while visitng my daughter. Grabbed the wrong soap under her sink. :(. Of course the babies thought it was hilarious and we took plenty of pics..lol.

Penny - Wow, your dad was young. I am sorry you had to lose him at such a young age. I am so fortunate to have both of my parents still alive. I just lost a grandmother a few months ago.

Well, off to pick up the house a bit before I sneak to bed early...lol. Have a good night.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

I am pooped. I'm cleaning for the holiday and decided to shampoo carpets. I got our bedroom, back hall and dining room and tomorrow hope to do the living room, front hall and the office. I'll have to hibernate to the spare bedroom and quilt (oh! darn!) until the carpets are dry. I have to get the turkey out in a while and get it in the refrigerator to thaw but will have to help it along as I should have had it out before now.

It's so good to hear of children learning to sew and learning how to make gifts. So many can't get interested. I taught my daughters to sew and crochet and crosstitch but one likes to quilt and sew like me and the other two don't. One teaches school and she has her plate full with that and her two young sons and hubby, but my other daughter just can't get it together to do anything. I have two granddaughters that sew and craft but that's all.

They also inherited the love of reading from me. I read a lot as do they and my grandchildren read a lot also.

A lovely day today after the storm yesterday. We got quite a bit of rain and there was snow on the mountains west, east and north of us. there was probably south of us but they're too far away to see. Another storm is due Thanksgiving so that could put a damper on things but I'm going to think positive and be prepared.

Welcome to our new gals. What fun! More of us to chatter away. Must take care of dinner. Have a good evening, Betty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page