darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  2:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Connie Jo and Catherine - welcome to the fastest paced forum around. We may be old - but we ain't slow! (And we don't feel old, either!)

Dianne - Good to hear Logan is doing better. Will keep him in prayer.

Have the bunnies got names yet? I was just inspired. How about MARY and JANE?

We have rabbits living in some bushes back edge of the Oakhurst property. When DH is out weedwhacking or mowing or just doing general yard work - there is one bunny that just follows him around. It's sweet.

Nancy - I'm sorry about your lovebird, Kakpila. It's alway sad to lose someone/something you love.

How is your finger doing? Mine aches in sympathy.

I have a grandson who is a vegan. He will be coming for a week the week before Christmas. Let's compare Gr-kids!

Holly - I'm still thinking about salmon, noodles and green beens - and tortolini with white sauce (alfredo?) and bacon - and pork roast and french bread and broccoli. I'm often wishing I could be at your dinner table. (I'm not relishing the thought of doing all those dishes though! .) I haven't seen that documentary your boys saw - but I've heard of it. DH says that with my gag reflex, I probably shouldn't see it.

Although I completely understand the need for hunting for food and having guns for protection, etc., I have never even so much as held a gun ... except for a cap gun as a child. I'm the one who, when you cut yourself, I bleed. The power of guns frighten me. I know - I know - I would probably make a lousy farmgirl if I ever really had to hunker down and live off the land. I can fish - though I have difficulty cleaning them. I can do it - but it's hard.

My DH snorkels ... but I have a bad ear (no drum to keep water out in my right ear.) It's annoying - but I sure can sleep if I'm lying on my left side. Anyway, even though my left ear is fine - I've never found the earplug that will actually work for my right ear - or one that I'm confident will keep the water out. So, I'm a surface skimmer swimmer - side stroke only.

Lynn - Looking for you, herbalady. We don't want to lose anyone. Especially not someone who is 60 going on 30 going on 84! Come on, gf, tell us more!

Thelma - forgot to ask - what did you teach?

Glenda - I just love you to bits - you cool chick, you! While we are talking about our backs going out picking up a bar of soap - or while doing "nothing strenuous" - here you come along with a ski accident story. If you gotta have back problems - at least you were having fun and can brag about how yours went out. I think Im going to start flat out embellishing the truth with some color from the imagination (lying) and tell anyone who will listen that my back problems started when I had "that ski accident back when." Plausible, since I used to ski. Okay - I am kind of copying you. But isn't that what sisters do?

Debra and Penny, I hope both of your backs are feeling better today. I've already got dibs on copying Glenda - but I bet either, or both, of you could come up with something fascinating to blame back problems on.

Penny - I hope you get that MRI soon. You really do want to know what's going on with your back.

Oh, back to crockpots. I think it's the luck of the pot. Some do cook too fast. I found that leaving the lid just a bit ajar keeps the temp down and slows things down. But I've taken to using mine (uncovered) to keep things hot (temporarily) for big meals. Mashed potatoes were a bust, tho, unless you like glue. I actually prefer to use the big, heavy Dutch Ovens in the oven - instead of the crockpot. I can actually control the temperature of the oven and everything I've made that way has turned out good. Low and slow.

Debra - I'm waiting for the pictures of the pine cone angels, too.

Susan, Glenda, Dianne, Patty and everyone else who jumped on the MJF bandwagon upon picking up their first magazine ... count me in your numbers. Not only did I join the sisterhood right away - in July, I also ordered every back issue and all 3 books. Whew. Then I got my GD (Daniela) on board. She got her first magazine --- and said Nevaeh (now 19 months) especially likes taking walks with the duct tape (sticky side out) around her wrist and around mommy's knee. She will pick up all sorts of things and stick them on. Idea was in MJF magazine. Who knew? It might have been in one of the older issues. I gave her one - don't know which one.

Got the survey for the cover of the next issue of MJF magazine. I picked #2 for the deep green veggies.

Chris - thanks for telling us about clumber spaniels. I had never heard of them and the history is really interesting. I agree with Holly and Patty that their pictures make me think of Bert Lahr as the lion in Wizard of Oz. Great expressions.

Patty - waiting to hear of the treasures you acquired while in Columbus. I think Goodwill charges a bit much actually. We have a poster board sign that we hang on the narthex door to the sanctuary of the church during the Junque Sale - it has magazine pics of Ivana Trump, Eva Gabor, and and the like on it, saying "The Junque Sale makes the Goodwill look like Neiman Marcus, Dahling" (It's a very old sign.) Hope you score some terrific finds, gf. And am praying that Jake is doing well in recovering and will be at home with you soon, soon. Did I say how cute those GDs are at the baggage claim. they look like they will be tons of fun for grandma - and distraction, too.

Kathleen - I hope you get to see your new GS soon. Stay well. Stay well.

I'm glad you are on top of the work --- bet you watch Holmes on Homes, gf. You seem to be kicking the booty of the contractors. It's too bad they need their booty kicked. And that your timeline is so iffy.

Betty - I'm reading every one of your posts. Just want you to know .....

Brenda ... please pass caring and love and prayers on to Linda. It's tough. I'll bet most of us have stories that let us empathize. And, my dear, that parking lot incident is funny --

and Glenda, that's truly inspiring. What a novel way to try to get a different husband. !!!!!

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Candy Kisses ....

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile
I am so far behind it will take me a few hours to read all your new posts and get caught up again. I will get that done yet this week. Just have to tell you a little tale. I asked my grandson why the rug by my stool as a little damp. He replied " Grandma, my thing started working before I was ready". catch you gats tomorrow. Keep smiling!
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy Thelma, out of the mouths of babes. Little does he know, grandmas sometimes start working before we are ready!!! I just love what the children say. Last week when we had a very nice day and the sun was shining so pretty, Linda's(Ks) GD age 3 told her that she was going to take her lunch out in the summer. She meant the balcony but the sun looked so good all she could think of was summer. Have a good evening everyone. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  5:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was overcast and not too cold. In the afternoon the thermometer in the Subaru said 51 degrees. That is warm for this time of year.

Nancy- my daughter wants me to buy her a tread mill. We have more beautiful fields to walk through and hills to climb but she wants a tread mill. My sons wanted a weightmachine. We have hay to throw and manure to hall and they all want artificial exercise. It makes me crazy.

My daughter has announced on occasion that she is a vegetarian. We grow all of our own meat and this child wants to only eat vegetables. We did not make a big thing out of it and she collapsed back into the carnivore world when we had bacon. lol Vegan is sort of drastic if she sticks truly to it. You were right to tell her to watch her proteins and vitamins.

I put away the TV today. My 14 year old son has become quite snippy to me especially when he is to do his school work. His absolute favorite thing to do in his free time is to play his electronic games. No TV no games. He is nicer already. When can he have it back? When I feel good about him and he can be kind.

Catherine- one of my sons came from Virginia Beach. I have never been there his social worker flew him up when he was 7. He is a wonderful young man and we are glad Virginia Beach social services agreed to place him with us.

Glenda- I am so glad the parking lots around here are not that big. Well, up in Burlington they are but we only go there when they are not so crowded. I laughed and laughed at your story. Suburbans are not that plentiful around here Subarus are. I have a vanity plate so it saves me when four red subarus are lined up in the lot. I remember walking around parking lots before the electronic key chain looking for cars that people had lost.

I have done a little reading on guinea fowl trying to decide if we have any females. The wattles on the males are supposed to be bigger than the females. Well mine are not that much different from each other. The females call is supposed to be two syllables and the males one syllable. Rarely does one yell without the others. They are so funny. I guess come spring I will see who sits on the eggs.

I asked my brother who visits all of the craig's lists in New England to look for homing pigeons for me. I heard that a family in town had them and took them to a wedding in town which is about 2 miles from their house and the birds never went home. I would guess they had not spent enough time with them. Maybe the birds flew back to their old home.

It just dawned on me that I have only read through page 127 so I will close so that I can go read the rest withoug losing this little bit.

Sweet dreams and no night sweats to you.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  5:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, back atcha, gf, I'll tell everybody I'm emailing them from my lanai on the island.
Did we name the bunnies yet? Anybody suggest Thelma and Louise? I watched it last night on tv.
The grandbabies' cute little remarks--priceless!! I treasure every minute with mine and I know you do, too.
Debra, hope you are much better. Flu is just awful.
Betty, you are the busiest gal I know. I am just amazed at how much you do. I have got to have a talk with myself about getting off my duff and getting things done. My hat is off to you ladies who live up in snow country, I know there is so much more work to do, particularly if you have outside animals to take care of. I read the sheep and goats forum and I just do not know how they do it. I dont have notepad up so will make this short. goodnight all you lovely and delightful girlfriends and blessings to you and your loved ones.
P.S. Holly we posted at the same time again. I applaud you for your work with the children--I think you are amazing. I think off and on about volunteering to foster the babies, they are always adopted and I would have breaks between, I don't think at this point in my life I could deal with older children with anger and other issues. I saw when I was a casa that the babies don't go with the siblings normally but with someone specially set up to take care of them. There are a lot of crack babies. On one of my cases the mother gave birth two weeks after she was taken into custody for nearly killing her 2 year old, 3 children in 3 years. My heart breaks for all the the children and I feel like I need to do something.

Farmgirls hugs from
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 16 2011 5:50:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  7:25:26 PM  Show Profile
It was cloudy today and in the 50's, also strange for us this time of year. I stacked another cord of wood yesterday and today have spent more time fortifying the chicken pens. I can barely move now. Need to check out that d-ribose. I did learn that because of the earths axis we here in Maine at least and probably other northern spots require 5000 mg of vitamin D everyday because we don't get it from the sun. At our house now the sun rises about 6:30 am and sets by 4 pm. So I started taking it and within a month I could tell the difference, truly amazing!

Holly - I found my girl to be just like your's at that age. I still hold out hope that she will decide even Portland Maine is too big for her and come home one of these years. But with jobs far and few here in Downeast Maine it probably won't happen. I borrowed that movie from a friend and after she told me all about it, I gave it back without watching it. Don't think I could stomach it.

As a child my Mom would ship us kids to my Uncle's farm in Iowa in the summer to help out. In exchange we came home with a years supply of food. His farm was his own, not a corporation so to speak, but it was huge. He had 900 cows, 900 pigs, and 400 chickens plus he grew all his own grain for all of them. We would go with him to Omaha to the stocks and it would be totally gross. Then he'd take us across the street to the "best steak house in Omaha". I tried to became a vegetarian but my Aunt and Mother would still make me eat meat! I finally became one in my late teens and most of my 20's but I started to crave meat and one night had a steak. I was so sick, but hooked on meat again!

Betty, we have two pens, 10 x 10 on each side of the coop so one year the girls are on one side fertilizing it and then next the other side. The side they aren't on I plant my corn in so animals can't get it. Sadly, when this happened the girls were out of their pen walking around the yard. I let them out and came in the house, to long I guess, that's when it happened. Their pen is pretty much mud so I thought they should get out and get some bugs in the grass. We have bird netting on top of the pens. In the thirty years I've lived here it was the first time I'd seen a Snow Owl. I've seen just about everything else as we live on 60 acres of woods and a few acres of fields.

On the subject of chickens, my DH just made me come see what he's watching on TV. It is Storage Wars and the guy found 3 pairs of rose colored chicken glass's!

The raccoons I think are the ones getting into the pens. They opened up the fencing near the top or at the bottom. We too have fencing buried out from pen and then we have concrete blocks over it. Way to many wild things here but then, that's why I live here, lol.

Hi Marianne! Welcome and enjoy these wild women. They are busy, busy, busy and have lots of great stories.

Debra - Feel better real soon! I hate getting sick like that but I do get a flu shot every year and so far it's helped. The County Jail orders enough for all their employee's and anyone else in the County Government that wants one so I get mine there with David. They want their employees as healthy as can be to deal with their "guests".

Darlys - Please enjoy Hawaii to the fullest for me :) I will never get there and after 4 1/2 months of being stuck at home taking care of DH I could use a nice warm vacation and some pampering. It sounds wonderful and I'm sure you are enjoying yourself.

Connie - Welcome and enjoy being a member of the Farmgirl Sisterhood!

Catherine - Welcome to you too! Don't feel bad, I can never remember my age but I remember my daughters and figure it out since she was born on my b-day. lol!

Glenda that is too funny! I need a good chuckle today, thank you!

Darlys - I picked #1. I thought about 2 but the petals just spoke to me.

Thelma - are you trying to out do Glenda in the LOL department??? Too funny!

I hope Jake and Login are doing better as well as Kathrine's DH.

Sweet dreams ladies!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Relientkrazy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Connie Jo
Portland OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  11:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! And, Glenda, thanks for making me laugh!!! That sounds exactly like something I would do!

Have a blessed evening!

Connie Jo
Farmgirl Sister #3640
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:24:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Marianne Wlcome to the group. Lots of wonerful ladies here.

Judy my youngest DD has been playing CHristmas music for a week now. I love it.

Debra I will pray for you to get over the flu quickly. If you were closer I would bring you some CHicken noodle soup.
I can send you some good tea if you want. You might be well by the time it gets there but it would still be good.

Holly You are right about your daughter. She will appreciate your way of life some day. I have two DD and I have watched
both of them swear they would never live on a farm, raise a garden, or can food. The oldest lives on an acre with her DH,3 kids,
2 dogs, 1 goat and has a garden and cans food. I just smile. She is also learning to sew. Something she said she would never do.
The youngest DD is dating, seriously, a guy who is so down to earth. He lives on a farm feeds the horses and buck the hay.
I see a farm in her future. LOL :)

Connie Jo Hi and welcome. Lots of wonderful ladies and tomboys here. LOL Were in Eastern OR. did you live? I grew up in Vale, OR

Nancy I like Dolly and Molly. I will have to run that by my DD. She was reading some of the names everyone came up with and was
laughing at some of them. She was the one who did not like Floppsy and Moppsy. Still working on pictures of them.
It is just so dark by the time I get home from work. Maybe this weekend.

Glenda It is so nice to know I am not the only one who has done that. I walked out of the store opened the door of my Explorer
tossed my pures in and started to cilmb inside. Then I notice there was stuff that was not mine in the cup holder.
I looked at the carand realized it was not silver but pale green. The lady was at the back with the a grocery clerk putting groceries in the car.
They just looked at me really funny. I appolagised and left to find my car. When I got in my car both my DD's were laughing so hard
they had tears in their eyes. I did not think it was funny at the time, Now I can laugh about it.

Darlys I picked #2 as well. I liked the colors in #1 but kept thinking I had seen something simular done before.
I like to see new ideas and I thought #2 was really cool.

Thelma that is just to cute.

Ginny I will have to stop whinning about no sun. You get less than I do here in Idaho. The sun is usually uo by 7:30 and sets by 5:30.

Wow I think I am cought up on all the posts, at least for now. I lovereading about everyones adventures both out and about and close to home.
Logan is on the mend and not as grummpy now. We still watch him for reactions but all is going good. I raked leaves yerterday because they keep predicting snow.
My youngest DD helped so it anoly took us about an hour. We dumped in the compost area and the chikens made a bee line to go scatter them every where.
I am looking forward to the weekend. They keep saying snow for the weekend. My youngest DD said it snowed last night. My DH said I wanted snow on the ground
not just fluffing in the air.

I need to get off and get things done.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Howdy,ladies! Welcome to the new gals. :)No, I did not get lost. lol I can just hear my sissy (Judy) say, "Find her Lassie, go get her girl!"
Glenda: I had tears in the corners of my eyes, to funny, but ya, scary.
Thanksgiving is next Thursday and I just learned it's going to be here, but it's ok, I'm not going anywhere anyhow.
Debra e: Sure hope you get over that flu fast. Hate all that blah feeling that goes with it. *hands you a box of tissue and a jar of homemade chicky soup*
I'm so ready for snow AND Christmas music, esp. since hubby likes to watch news and Congress going at it on tv. YUK!
Ya'll take care of yourselves. remember, there's only one of you and nobody can take care of you like you can. :) (my sissy has told me this over and over) hugs n prayers to all!

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  10:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Taking a short break from my Christmas quilting project. Got one done and one in progress - long way to go yet. Have to get them to the machine quilter the Saturday after Thanksgiving so time is short.

Darlys, you asked me what I taught. I was in education for 40 years so I taught in many elementary and middle school classrooms. The last 17 years before I retired I was a special needs teacher in a middle school setting. It was a totally awesome job!

Holly, How is the no TV situation going? I am so proud of you. In this day and age it takes a lot of determinitation to raise kids. I am very careful what my grandkids watch when they are here even if their parents may let them watch things that may not be age appropiate. Stick to your guns girl! There is a lot of attitude in TV land.

Ginny, :0) no. I am not trying to out story Glenda. I just get such a kick out of life and love to tell stories.

Welcome to all the newbies out there. I am glad you enjoy this chat room. Keep the chat coming our way. We are here to laugh, vent, cry, and understand each other as farmgirl sisters in a very special setting.

Break is over back to my wonderful sewing room to work work work. Maybe I should play some Christmas music while I work.

Edited by - Thelma on Nov 17 2011 10:18:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  11:08:00 AM  Show Profile
Lets keep the stories coming,girlfriends----laughing is better than anything, some days laughing at myself is my only source of entertainment. Thelma, do you remember Art Linkletter and his "kids say the darndest things" now that was a good show. And Holly I totally agree about the TV - I am constantly shocked by what they put out there. Actually I am horrified. And disgusted to say the least. Either about sex or killing somebody or eating lunch over a dead corpse. I have to tape Dr. Oz and some of the daytime shows to have anything to watch at night. I miss Oprah. I think I pay for 160 channels on satellite and not one thing worth watching most of the time.
Oh, golly gee whiz, how I wish I were sitting out on my lanai in the land of HI. but, NO, we all have to be here working away, tolerating all kinds of weather, while our sweet DDF is sunning herself by the pool. Earth to Darlys, its time for a check-in.
If we are going to have to vacation vicariously through you, we at least need complete and thorough reports.
Farmgirls hugs from
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 17 2011 11:15:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha

I can barely remember life before you, gfs! You have become so much a part of me. Now here we are on the lanai, DH deep into yet another Agatha Christie novel, sipping his hot chocolate, completely oblivious to the party we are having. I'm having my coffee and laughing so hard with Glenda and Thelma that I have to cross my legs. (Little boys don't have the market cornered on accidental pee, do they Thelma.)

Holly, I hope you are keeping your notes for a book. You are a wonderful writer ... I'd buy it. And, you are also a great parent. Teenagers can be challenging and it seems you are truly capable of handling just about anything they toss your way.

Ginny - I've actually had Vitamin D prescribed for me. 50,000 mg a week. Seemed I was really low as my body wasn't absorbing it - even though I also took calcium and multi-vitamins. Once they got it up there to where it was just low (as opposed to waaaay below normal) I started feeling much better and had a lot more energy. I think I may need another infusion of mega-D ... or maybe it's just Maui relaxing my bones.

This is weird. NOTEPAD!just sent a paragraph into cyberspace. Maybe it's trying to reach you, Ginny. I just sent a pool boy to get you another Tropical Monkey. And you should turn ... you're beginning to burn, gf.

Okay, so I haven't exactly gotten into someone else's vehicle while roaming parking lots. But, I sure have gotten some strange looks while peering into car windows - hoping I've finally! found mine.

Oh, lest I forget - Dianne ... I was vacillating between cover #1 and #2 - but I also thought I'd seen something very similar to #1 before. Then I realized. It reminded me of the current issue.

Penny, tell your DH that we haven't been up the volcano but some vendors along the side of the roads here sell Silver Sword plants (in their infancy). Haven't seen one in all it's glory though.

Patsy, good to see you back!

Thelma ... I admire teachers. A while back I talked about that. How teaching is just not my gift. But to those who have that gift (and special ed, my gosh!) kudos!

Another quilter ... I hope you are going to share a photo of your "Christmas quilting project" with us. Maybe we should all swap pictures of our craft/sewing spaces. (Without cleaning them up first!)

I am so with you, Glenda - on what is considered entertainment on TV. My DH actually covers my eyes with his hand when something icky appears. We just tend to watch HGTV, Dancing with the Stars, Castle, Rick Steves and Samantha Brown travel shows and the news. Sometimes I'll watch a cooking show.

Yesterday was fun, wasn't it?

GFs, it's a no-no to fling the sand from your sandals over the railing onto passers by. You are just being silly, now. Too many mai tais, I fear.

Even though we left the lanai to go to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Shopping Center, the drive was mostly along the shoreline and the paddleboard and wind surfers were out. Several tents along the shore, too. Sailboats were bouncing around and a cruise ship was coasting along. Lunch at Ruby's Diner. I had a Chinese chicken salad, DH had a very impressive looking burger with fries ... and you gfs were all enjoying apple pie with ice cream and a bit of caramel drizzled over the top with us. The food was really, really good.

Then we wandered around the mall - and found an honest to gosh quilting store called Sew Special. The fabrics were everywhere - in abundance! Good stuff, too. Bought some fabrics and some notions. The Maui Quilt Shop in Kihei is smaller, cuter, more boutique-y ... but this is good!

Back to the Westin Villas. The traffic: not bad at all even though it is considered rush hour. A 45 minute drive through Lahaina to Ka'anapali Beach.

We passed by the folks barbecuing poolside on the way inside. Smelled fantastic. Everyone seemed to be grilling fish and pineapple wedges last night. We just nibbled ... too exhausted to even go out to eat. Had a glass of wine and watched Property Brothers.

I think a DS is 52 today. I have informed everyone that after 30 I no longer have to remember how old they are as long as I remember the date (with a card and the BD $). They are now at the point where they are on board with mom - who actually made this rule after completely muffing the years they were born in and none of the 4 really cared - as I had them all born a year later than they actually were. It's the great-grands who want me to know how OLD they are. (Funny how that changes with time.) Anyway, guess we will give DS a call today. See how things are going five hours across the blue.

Okay, gfs, down to the beach. Glenda, you are in charge of the Tropical Monkeys, the Lava Flows, and the Mai Tais. Ginny - you haul the tanning lotions and the "sundries" -- the rest of us will haul the beach chairs, and towels. Oh, ladies, wait! We've got pool boys to do all that! Just grab your sunglasses and shade hats. No skinny dipping, Glenda - you put on that cute swimsuit - now!

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Candy Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Nov 17 2011 2:19:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  5:34:12 PM  Show Profile
ROFLROFLROFLROFL...Glenda, I can't believe that happened to you. *snort-snort*....*Dabbing eyes...still* I will be more aware of what I do from now on. LOLOL We have a red SUV too. hahahaha and MY hubby would think that was VERY funny. Except He would say,"Just get enough to make a house payment." hahahahaha
Welcome Marianne&Connie Jo! You'll love it here....we do a lot of laughing together...at ourselves...with each other....we just like to laugh. It's good medicine! Better than a flu-shot! *ewwwww* HATE needles!
.....speaking of which.....Debra....how are you Dear? Feeling better yet? Poor thing! *here...hot water bottle and thick,soft blankie*
I have a slow-cooker of black beans on and man-o-man,does it ever smell yummy in here.I have lots of herbs in them......*sniiiiiiffff*
mmmmmmm-mmmmmmmm!!!
Well DH is home......see yuns later!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  6:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. Just checking in. I have a head cold that is kicking my butt, so I won't be sitting here long. I took Jake to the surgeon yesterday and surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. He has severe damage to the bicep, so Bicep muscle needs repaired. Didn't even know there was a bicep in a leg. All the tendons and ligaments, and muscle are pulled away from the knee. They will go in and repair the torn tissue, add cadaver tissue, attach it all back to the side of his leg and knee. Then in a couple of months they will repair the ACL. He will be awhile recuperating. Not in Alot of pain, he just can't get comfortable. I came on home with my daughter and the babies today. Hubby is still out there with Jake. The little girls were too much noise in the house for poor Jake...lol.
The thrift stores were a disappointment. The Ohio Thrift have raised their prices so much since I have been gone. You could not find a used bed sheet for under 4.99. Crazy, they use to be .99 and $1.91. Maybe real nice ones for $2.99. It is a good thing I have so many stockpiled...lol. I did make it on the 50% off day, that helped.
Well, off to bed. Hopefully will fell better in the morning.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  8:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all,
I am feeling much better. The flu bug is gone.(Yippeee!!!) I don't think that I have been that sick since gradeschool. This took me about 3 days to get over. Thanks to hubby looking after me I was feeling pretty good today. I couldn't even keep ice chips down an he kept me hydrated. He was a big help!
Also I want to thank everyone for your prayers and concerns. It was nice to see them on the post.
You are a great bunch of farm gals.

So I went over to my mom's and helped with the pine cone angels that I had told you about (a crafting idea for Christmas)These are going to be favors for a Senior Citizen banquet that we are having at our community center in Dec. Here are some pictures. They are so
Ca-ute. I just love them!

army of Angels

Gold headed angel

back of angel

White headed angel

Hope you all like them. If you want any info on them let me know.

Welcome to all the new gals. You are going to have fun here on the farm. Lots of caring and sharing, and laughing on this farm.
Y'all have a good night.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  8:33:20 PM  Show Profile
The angels are soooo pretty. I've never seen them made that way beofre. Will post more tomorrow. I've been gone all day and just want to go to bewd..Night all!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  06:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

My computer is working so slowly this morning. I am typing faster than it is printing. Welcome Connie Jo. So glad to have you here with all of us. It's lots of fun here.

Patty, I am praying for Jake everyday. That is a lot for him to go through as well as for the family. Hopefully he will be home with you soon.
I am sorry to hear that the thrift store had raised their prices on things. Seems strange that they would raise prices but I guess they have had their rent and expenses raised also. Times are hard on all of us. Still that is a high price for a sheet. I buy a lot of things at the thrift store. I try to convince my daughter to do more shopping there. She seldom shops at a thrift shop and prefers to buy all new things. I would have her send me heer cast offs if I was as small as she was. Unfortunately she only wears a size 5 or small. And I mean small. Even her girls can't wear her things. Oh, well, she is missing out on some good buys at those thrift stores.

Debra, I am so glad that you are feeling better. The flu can be so awful. I haven't had it for a long time but I remember when I did and how bad it was. I just got over a cold. The angel pinecones are absolutely adorable. I am going to make some. We have so many pine trees here and gobs of pinecones. The little angels don't look hard at all to make.

Thelma, I told my husband what your grandson said about your rug being a little damp and he laughed. I asked him if that hit home and he said yes. He said he remembers having to run to the bathroom when he was little when he waited to long to go. I thought what your grandson said was so cute.

Holly, you sound like a great mother. I like that you know what to do with that TV and those games when the behavior is proper. I wish more parents would discipline their children and give them better manners today. Just before I quit teaching I noticed how bad the children's manners had become. That was in 1991 in southern CA. I don't know about other places.

Gosh, I picked #2 of the choices for the cover for the magazine also. I really liked the green veggies. They looked so pretty arranged like that.

Dianne that is so funny about the Explorer. I really had to laugh. I wonder what those people thought. I have done that before myself except there weren't any people at the vehicle. What a laugh.

Darlys, Keep having fun. You are in the best place for beautiful views, lovely sunsets and romantic times. I love the music, and the slow pace of life there. Have fun for me. mmmmmm!

Love you all,

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  06:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Good morning dear farmgirls! Could not resist a post this AM. My thanks to Brenda for sharing my circumstances with you, as I will have to be rather hit and miss on the forums for awhile. On a nite, last nite, of many hrs awake.....catching up on your posts gave me lots of lol, warmed my heart, made me smile, moments I totally related to, and at times sad/bittersweet. You ladies are the best! The car stories just cracked me up, and boy did I understand those moments too!! Oh, the senior moments, he he he he! Love all the pics shared. And those angels are adorable! I may try them with my gkids. My prayers are still with Jake and Logan, as well as each of you, dealing with difficulties, health or otherwise. Relate as well to the back going out over simple tasks! Darn aging and arthritic bones, lol!! I love my Christmas music after Thanksgiving as well. I am a sucker for the Hallmark Christmas movies. Love them all. 0h! Also, like some of you, was a Dark Shadows junkie. Couldn't wait to get home from school and watch!! Enjoyed the stories of the lil ones. Their comments are so fun to hear! A hearty welcome to our new ladies. As a fairly new one as well, this is a very heartwarming and welcoming group! My thanks again to you all for your prayers, support anda safe place to share, vent, laugh, and cry! God bless each of you! Big farmgirl hugs, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  3:34:58 PM  Show Profile
I have been out and about all day. Met my sis and her hubby for lunch. Hadn't seen them all summer and they are leaving for their winter home in Texas next week. Hubby and I stopped at a shop on the way home where all their products were hand made in Iowa. I got a few new craft ideas, but didn't buy anything. Are any of you gals from Iowa. I have been watching for an Iowa farm sister to pop up, but haven't noticed anyone. I live right on the Iowa - Minnesota border half way between the cities and Des Moines. Anyone besides me cooking a Thankssgiving meal? Lucky me, I get to do it twice! Now I must go quilt!
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  4:53:57 PM  Show Profile
hi everyone--sounds like another busy day for all the farmgirls. lets see--thelma--want to see quilt pics, speaking of pics, debra i LOVE those angels. very very nice. holly--i have a friend who forbids tv or any computer anything when her grandkids come to visit. they play outside, ride the horses,make things, work in the garden and play old fashioned games at night--authors, old maid, that kind of ancient stuff. and yet they still come and want to stay with her. your boy might just discover there is life without tv. good for you!
darlys--have you had any spam since you have been in the spam capital of the world?
well i spent today on the computer and the phone. i design Christmas cards for people this time of year and today i was getting the second of the three i am doing this year nailed down and ready to go. i paint the original artwork, then format and print cards (i have one client who does her own printing so i just do a painting for her). today was especially nice because the gal i am working for is a dear friend i haven't had much contact with lately. so we have been catching up while we worked all the kinks out of her card. it turned out really nicely. now its on to the next one--also for someone who has become a dear friend. my only complaint is the fact that neither of these terrific gals lives close enough to me to hang out with them.
cold and blustery today--at our morning walk at the state park my fingers were numb inside my gloves most of the way. saw one great blue heron flailing around in the sky as he fought the wind. other than that no fun wildlife. also heard by email from a farmgirl who grew up in the little town nearby--small world!
have a lovely evening, girls, and a great weekend! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOSH! I have been off most posts for a week or so, and I am so far behind, I don't think I will ever catch up. I'm just popping in to tell you all I love you. I can count on several to even hound me wondering what is happening.

Wellllllll....right now we have a white out in Deer Park, 20 mph on highways for commuters. My husband is almost home, but it has taken an hour for him to go 14 miles. Blowing, drifting and the low is to be 7 tonight. Hoping trees stay up, heat stays on, and all will get through our first big snowfall. We are to have at least 80 inches of snow this year with LaNina. Less than a 100 miles from here was a 4.6 earthquake in Omak, WA. It is not that far from the Grand Coulee Dam, one of the largest in the nation. they are to be checking if there are cracks etc. Praying that all those down river will be safe. So, think I'll go out and shovel again so we don't have a pile unmovable with our 7 degrees. Blessings to all you special ladies over 50.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile
OMG Claudia, you all are getting it hard right now. I figured LaNina would mess us all up. Was hoping for a calmer winter this year, But you are suppose to get 80 inches, what can I say, W0000000W! Take care and so glad to see you posting. Hugs,Brenda

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  6:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone, said in a good Lurch voice.

WOW! 80 inches of snow. I guess over the winter we might receive that much snow but we only have two weeks or so of looking up at zero. Today was in the high thirties or low forties. We had a cover of snow to wake up to but it was gone by the middle of the afternoon. Ross had a good time running out to the porch with a cup and coming in with it full of snow then dumping it by the cupfull onto the woodstove and watching it disappear. It was fascinating to watch it disappear. Our wood stove is an old Nashua more heavy steel than cast iron so it has not cracked. Ross (4) loves the snow. He is hoping for enough to arrive to make a snowman.
While we are on little boys and peeing. One of Ross' favorite things is to stand on the porch and pee out into the drive while his brothers are walking into the house.

I am glad DebraE is better. We had colds through our house last week and went through 9 boxes of Kleenex. I hate nose snuffing and the children do not want me to barf on their feet because they snuff.

We do not have guns in our house. Some of the children have taken hunter safety and gone to conservation camp because I think it is important to know gun safety. My partner's father was a homocide detective and kept loaded guns lying around the house. she is very anti gun. Doesn't matter to me whether we have guns or not. Makes the house safer. I do know how to shoot because my father thought it was important for us to know how not to kill ourselves and the power of a weapon.

The TV is still put away. Actually this group of three children only have had a TV for maybe the last two years. We had TV all the time until 9/11 when all of the TV programming showed the towers falling over and over. Talie who was 4 at the time had nightmares about a plane crashing into our silo. So, we put away the TV. We had movies but no commercial TV. A couple of years ago we let it out to play a group game of WII and just left it out to see if the children could handle the shows.

Last baseball season Talie missed a day of practice and the coach asked why. He told him because he was mean to his mother (me) and she would not drive him to practice. The coach congratulated me and said he wished that more mothers cared about their children's behavior.

I am thinking that if I want the guinea hens to go into their new house then I am going to have to go out after dark and catch them while they are sleeping. the last time I tried that they all flew off into the tall grass and I worried all night that some wild thing would eat them.

I will be drying off the cow soon so she will have two months without milking before she births. I sure will miss the milk and yogurt. But, I will be glad to not have to milk every morning for a while. It sure is convenient that she is dry during the cold parts of the year.

I will think Darlys about a soft plug you could put in your ear. I would have such a hard time not swimming. Now about our menu while we are on vacation. I do like the fish. I ahve never had poi is that something we should try or have you had it before and it is totally gross. I did not know that Hawaii was the spam capital of the world.

Have a good sleep everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  7:42:01 PM  Show Profile
hello friends. Holly, try calling your guineas at the same time every evening and feed them crumbles or some type of treat and soon they will come for it, you may have to feed it to them outside for a bit and slowly coax them into going inside the pen for it but they should eventually do it. Except I always had one who would go round and round the pen too dumb to go in the gate. If you wait too late they will already have started to roost in the trees and they won't come down. The only way I could ever tell the difference in the males and females is by the sounds as you said, they all looked alike. i wasn't going to post tonight because I am really down, but got on here to read your posts and now I feel better. I found out today that my younger brother has throat cancer. He is a loner and has no children. He hasn't said what he is going to do about it but I do not believe he will go through surgery and chemo. I believe he will do away with himself. He asked my mom for all our current addresses and is figuring out what to send to whom, so that tells me he isn't planning to stick around. He isn't particularly religious but still I would appreciate any prayers you might offer.
So sorry for those with colds and flu. I am sure hoping not to get either, I had my flu shot and trying to be careful about germs. I had a sinus infection from the fires that lasted for months and then caught a bad cold on top of that so my sinuses have had enough for this year. Tomorrow I am going to pick up a friend who lives nearby who just lost her husband and we are going to meet up with several other friends, all people I have known my whole life, and one person who is going to be there I have not seen since 3rd grade when she moved away. It will be fun and I am really looking forward to it.
Good night all. Dear Darlys, forget the spam and forget the poi, have lots of rum and coconut. Glad you said that was SAND between my toes, down here on the farm, ya never know.........
And, Claudia, glad we didn't have to go get you from Pinterest Re-hab.....yes, i know where you've been all week..........

Farmgirls hugs from
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 18 2011 7:44:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  7:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Glenda I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I will be praying for him to consider his choices. And for you and your family. It's always sad when we hear such things from our loved ones. But we must remember, prayers create Miracles. We need to leave it in the Lords hands. We're here for you any time you need to talk and know prayers are going out.Hugs,Brenda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page