desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  12:17:04 AM  Show Profile
I have five or six desertwillows on the property that I've planted thus the name. My friend down the road from me about 20 acres away bought me a lovely magenta one for a welcome gift when we first moved in. The others I've picked up along the way and a couple are seedlings from the first one.

The 6th of Oct. would have been my oldest sons birthday. He would have been 54. He passed away five years ago so it will be a bittersweet day for me. His younger brother passed away 14 months before him and children should outlive their parents, not the other way around.

The red pepper should help. Rabbits don't like blood meal so you might also try that. Squirrels may not like daffodils to eat since they are poisonous but they will dig them up. I usually lay some wire netting over mine for a while until they forget and leave them alone.

I'm off to bed. It's after midnight and I've had a busy day. I really enjoyed reading all the posts tonight.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  08:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Good AM to all! Well, I am caught up to, I believe page 84, a bit more to go, lol!! Hopefully more catching up over some morning tea! I had a great day yesterday. Did some shopping with DD and lots of giggles! She can always make even simple things fun! Then we joined some of her friends for dinner and then a play at the university. One of their friends had a lead in the play. It was a musical/dance play set in a college circa 1920s. The play was sooo much fun! The acting, singing and choreography top notch!! Just a fun, fun day and evening! Want to give a welcome shout out to Darlyne and Lynn! You will love the forums! Also, belated Happy Birthdays to Darlys and Lynn! Nancy, a peach faced lovebird is really what I had wanted to get?! But when I found this ad for 2 cockatiels and cage and got it all for $30.00? That seemed the way to go for now. They are still fairly scared. Only taking food from my hand from outside the cage. But it takes time to train. So, little by little!! Well, I hope everyone has a great weekend! Enjoy! I am looking forward to getting all caught up on the posts and visiting with everyone more later. Blessings, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,We have got a cold front that has come through. Last week I had to turn the air back on cause it got so danged hot and this weekend we have our fleecies on and slippers. It was in the 40's here in ga. But I love the change of the weather. Good nite time snuggle weather.
Glenda, I have friends that live in Clayton, Ga. Off Tate Street I believe. I am about and hour and a half from there. We have friends that live in the Toccoa mountains. Are you familiar with that town? We are going to see them next week.
Not much going on here today. Just going to hang around. I am going to be a heathen and even miss church today. Hubby and I have been busy these last few days and it feels good NOT to have to go anywhere or do anything.
Betty I am feeling for you and the loss of a child. (and you have 2 losses) My brother passed away at the age of 28. (That was 25 yrs ago) He was the light of my mom's eyes...and mine. That hit my mom and especially dad very hard. Mom and I think of him on that specail date.
Y'all have a good day and touch base later.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  09:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Glenda, Our weather is a lot like yours. Yesterday and today the mornings were so chilly I wore a sweater out to work in the garden but by 10 it was so hot I had to turn on the cooler. We got 2 more trees in this morning before hubby had to get ready for work so will get the remaining three in on Wednesday on his day off. It's supposed to be really cool next week, only getting in the 70's and snow level will drop to 8000 feet which isn't very low but it's about a month early. I think we may get an early winter and maybe a hard one.

Well, I have to get busy and wash out the water dishes and pans for the chickens and birds. Mama hen is still sitting on her eggs with about 15 days to go. I hope they hatch before we leave for NC. My friend that car4es for my animals when we go on a trip is hoping to care for baby chicks. She loves animals like I do. I take care of her cat, chickens and goats when she goes on a trip so it works out fine. You should see us with our calenders checking dates to make sure we don't overlap.

My coffe cup is empty so time to go outside again. Have a great day everyone.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  6:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals, DH has had my puter for training classes for the past 2 weeks and has 1 week of them left to go, so I have to get on whenever I can.Did ya miss me? I missed ya'll!!
Glenda, I can relate to your sun problems myself. I turn a blotchy red, even with sunscreen and long sleeves. I too buy BIG mens shirts and wear those in the car, in the garden, everywhere I go. When it hits 90 it's pretty miserable, let me tell you.
Wait until you get your MJ packet, You'll be all giddy and giggly just like the rest of us were. We were like little kids.
I love that you said you have "Attitude." Good for you!!When we were young attitude got us in trouble.....but now that we're older it's a life saver. Ya just have to know how to work it....ya have to own it!!! lol Right?
Jolly Kim, we are about 40 miles south of Cleveland....we're waaaaay up here in Oh!
Darlys, you just reminded me that it's time for an oil change in Beetle-Baby. That's what Mama calls my VW. Ya, we talk to him too. We have lots of giggles when we go out. Life's short.... laugh a lot. A smile is the cheapest make-up you can wear. One size fits all too!
Your Boris story was so cute. Thanks for sharing.
Brenda, I don't know what happened to Dianne's T-shirt idea. She got the ok from Mary Jane and was working on a design, but that's the last I heard. Don't worry, I'm sure there will be lots more Snow-Angel stories this winter. Stay-tuned!
Patty, great find on the cookwear. Don't you wonder why people get rid of nice, new things like that?
Debra, I have Bat Masterson in my Hulu queue right now. He was so suave for his time.Love the old westerns.
Linda, glad you and your Daughter had a fun day. You sound like my "Mama&Me." I told her I was gonna write a book about Our crazy life and the things we did! lol
Well, we've had a couple of wet, cold days(40-50), with rain and wind. But this week it's suppose to go back up slowly until it hits 70's by next weekend. We'll see.
Well Gals take care of yourselves. I'll get on when I can.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  05:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

Finally got my daughter on the phone yesterday. She is down from a size 5 to now a size 3 from all her running. She says she still weighs the same though. Size 3? I've never been anywhere near a size 3 myself. I think she weighs about 110 lbs. I haven't been 110 lbs since I was 15 years old. She is now going to the gym and told me she has a personal trainer. I guess turning 50 and the kids all grown she can now spend some time on herself. I am glad she is finally beginning to take care of herself. I think having breast cancer may have turned out to be a good thing for her. She used to treat her body so badly by easting sweets all the time and not getting enough sleep or exercise. She has always been a thin person, lucky girl.

Lynn I am so glad you went back and got that money back. Some men think women have no brains and don't know anything when it comes to cars. Guess he finally met one who wouldn't believe everything he said.

Betty I am so sorry to hear about your sons. I have not had the loss of a child. The pain must be so terrible. I lost contact with my son many years ago and have not heard from him for over 20 years. He has not contacted my daughter either. Recently, his wife did contact my daughter, Linda telling her that his 2 girls wanted to meet my daughters 3 girls. They had never met their cousins all these years. They did get together and now are friends. I have never seen my son's 2 daughters. His wife has never contacted me or sent me a picture of them.
I used to send birthday gifts and cards but stopped because I never heard whether they got them. I still send my son a birthdy card on October 13th every year. He will be 52 this year. I am sad every year but I mostly feel sad that all the years have gone by.

What a beautiful cool day we had here in NE Florida yesterday. It looks like another today. I went grocery shopping on the island and visited the beach. All is well with the sea. Ocean looked so calm and blue. Quite a few people on the beach even with the cool air.

I keep telling myself I am going to catch up on my art work and crafts. Yeah, sure, right!! LOL I go to Michael's to get something and then I see something else I would like to make. Then I tell myself I won't look. "Keep Focused" I am making two aprons for Christmas gifts and still want to get to this quilt for my youngest granddaughter. And the birthday cards I am making, too. I love it all.

Darlys, Thanks for the Boris story. It was so cute. I had two German Shephards. Loved them both. They are such loyal dogs. I can imagine those crumbs on his mouth with that innocent look. " Who me?"

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  05:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Good morning, Good morning.
The sun isn't up yet, but I feel great. I heard Dean Martin say in a comedy skit once that he felt sorry for people that didn't drink, because "when they get up in the morning, that is the best they are gonna feel all day". He might be right.... But I am definately a morning person and love my mornings. Funny how some little things like that stick with you and you never forget.
We had a son come up this weekend from Fort Leonard Wood Mo. Our son from Columbus, Oh will be here until Tues. He is our handyman and jack of all trades, so mama here has a to do list a mile long. :)

Darlys - Boris reminds me of my "Touchdown". We found our Lab mix puppy at the pound 16 years ago. My twins boys were 9 years old. He has always been very protective of me and any kids. He has been a blessing to me. He is very smart. When my husband passed away from cancer he barely left his bedside for the last 2 days. He remained under the hospital bed for 3 days later until they moved the bed out. Seriously, the dog layed under the bed for 3 days and did not leave. We couldn't drag him out to even go outside. He was as much a mess as the rest of us. When I met my new hubby, he stated he would never live in a house with dogs or cats. It was a good thing I wasn't looking for a husband then, because he sure would not have made it long... He would require more training than the dog. Eventually he came to terms with the dog and the cat and decided I was worth it...lol. The boys were just saying last night "We will all be in trouble when something happens to that dog, mom will be crazy". He is old and just the last year failing alot. He can't hardly hear, and his eyesight is failing. And I worry about those last days and pray I will be able to handle it.

Betty - I am so sorry you went through the loss of a son. I lost 2 brothers both at the age of 40. One was killed when he was riding his horse and a pick-up truck hit him. The other was in a vehicle accident and died of head trauma. I was always a tomboy and my brothers were 2 of my best friends. We miss them terribly and I know it has been tragic for my parents. I became paranoid with my sons after that period and worried way too much. After they passed away, people were afraid to talk about them for fear of upsetting me. But I liked talking about my brothers and so wanted to share their lives with others.

Judy - I feel your pain GF. I have a desktop computer in my sewing room and a laptop in the dining room. With kids home I have to wait for my chance to get on the computer...lol

Linda - The time with your daughter sounded wonderful. I am sooo jealous. My only daughter lives in Monterey Ca and we rarely get times together. She is for sure my best friend and we talk on the phone everyday and she text messages me constantly. She is my support, sounding board and she keeps me grounded...lol. She is much more level headed than her mama.

Kim- I am so gonna try to make a smock out of a man's shirt. It sounds like a wonderful idea. Would be great for wearing over my dress up clothes before I go out. I use to wear an over sized t-shirt, cut up the back for my trip to work as I would always spill coffee on me before I got there.

Well, Off to get some work done! Everybody is starting to move around here. Gosh, I so wish all my kids were young again. I miss having them around all the time. I think I will start singing "Wake up, wake up you sleepy head, Why don't you get up, get up, get out of bed, cheer up, Live, love, laugh and be happy" just like I did when they were kids. :)

(Jake just opened the bedroom door and said "Mom, be quiet".)

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Oct 03 2011 05:41:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  07:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Patsy and Betty, thank you for the advice for the squirrels. Yesterday they were bringing up the nuts they found and just sitting on the rails eating. They don't even leave when we go out. Brave little guys! DIL, DD, 2 GD's and I spent yesterday afternoon looking for maternity clothes and then going to the baby shops. Had a great meal out together. Had a wonderful time together. Lot's of Laugh's! Have a nice day today, it's going to be around 80 here!! Love to take a good book out and read for awhile. Later gater's, Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
GoooooooodMorningMyDearGalPals,
How cute, Patty, I just love that song, had forgotten it until you just sang it. Now I'll be singing it and "bob, bob, bobbing along!!!" hahahaha Thanks! Tell Jake I said, for shame, he liked it when he was little! Kids! *rolls eyes* lol
I still like a song I learmed in kindergarden:good morning to you, good morning to you, we're all in our places, with bright sunshine faces, and this is the way we start the new day! hahaha Makes me happy! So what's Mr Fix-It gonna fix for ya while he's here?
Nancy, I'm so sorry that you don't see your Son anymore and have Never seen your 2 Gr-Daughters??? WOW! I can't imagine! How sad! Well every year on his B-Day, you need to do something really, really "Giggle-Giddy-Fun!"...just for you...just to get you thru the day without saddness....Anything...Whatever....Be the BIGGEST nut on the planet.....just Do It!!!
Well, we have another rainy day/50/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....you know the type. We won't see sun for a couple days yet...maybe Weds,Maybe!*sigh*
Well, got dishes to do and hair to wash. Catch ya later.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:03:45 AM  Show Profile
It is a bit nippy here this morning but the morning chores went well since the hip is doing better. YAY! I am spending most of the day in the studio and doing laundry as well. Chili is on the menu for dinner so that is easy.

I do not want to burn daylight as thy say so I am leaving now and I will see ya'll later on!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:25:52 AM  Show Profile
It's a beautiful day! This is going to be a great week, but I'm already looking forward to the weekend. My parents, hubby and myself are going to Amish country in Ohio. It's a celebration of my daddy's 88th birthday and our 3rd anniversary. It's an annual event and a lot of fun. Need to start my list for the bulk food stores.

Yesterday was packed full of chores. Finally finished the fall decorating in the house. I'm starting to enjoy the fall more than Christmas decor. I just love the colors of fall. Canned the last of the maters, just a few salsa tomatoes left, made vennison stew, laundry, dusting...I love working around the house!! :)

Well, it's time for me to get back to work (at my money job today).

Have a wonderfully blessed day ladies!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile
....oh dear....my bad....I wanted to thank PATTY for the Tater-Bag....instead, I said Pam. Soooo sorry for the mix-up. Pam, Patty, Patsy, Penny....if one of ya wasn't related to me....I would mix her up too! lololol
Sooo....Patty, I really DID love the Potato-Bag." It worked so well and was so moist. Do you have a pattern for that? They would make GREAT Christmas gifts. Is it just layers of cotton fabric? Mom said it looked that way. She's a crafter and just had to see it. hahaha We've never heard of such an animal!
Ok....my hands are cold and I need to wrap them around a steaming cuppa chai. Oh...I found pumpkin-spice marshmellies from Kraft the other day at the grocery. Man are they tasty. Gonna put some in my chai!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, girlfriends! It's a beautiful day in Cupertino (at the moment). Rain is forecasted for today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Then we're looking for toasty temps again later in the week. Our weather is having an identity crisis.

We got some daffodils planted in Oakhurst. More to go. DH bought a small rototiller at Sears Saturday. It was $279 - I asked (the owner of this Sears franchise) if it was on sale and he said it was (tho it didn't say so anywhere). Now the price is $240. I suggested that we should get a bit more off since we are putting his kids through college with our business. Now the price is $228. I said, "Well, I guess we'll wait until a better sale comes along." The owner paused and then said "How much is enough?" I said "$200." He said - "You mean you'd pay $200 - NOT another $200 off." We laughed. He said his kids needed shoes. I said all 10 of my grandkids and 5 gr-grandkids need shoes. We got the tiller for $200. Larry said that's why he won't shop without me. The tiller works great!

Patty and Judy ... (I'm singing the chorus - loudly) Rise and shine and give God your Glory, Glory -- Rise and shine and give God your Glory, Glory -- Rise and shine and give God your Glory, Glory - Children of the Lord! Used to get my kids up with that. They couldn't block out my singing! Make her STOP!

Patty and Nancy, I had 2 German Shepherds, too. Boris had fallen in love with Lola ... that's why, I'm sure, he was in my backyard to begin with. They actually looked very much alike (smallish - only about 60 pounds) but Lola had more delicate, feminine features. It was Boris, though, that was my "protector" - and the one who would get in trouble. When he was naughty he would hang his head and look very sorrowful then, (like he couldn't help it) keeping his head down he'd get this silly smile on his face. Lola was my "Walmart Greeter" - she loved everyone. I miss both of those rascals and it's been over 30 years. German Shepherds are so smart and so very loyal. I completely understand Touchdown's devotion, Patty. And I understand your love for him.

BTW, Patty, your daughter lives in Monterey? That's only about an hour from here. We spent four days there in July. Friends from Utah were there for a conference and so we all made it a holiday.

Say, Glenda ... I just realized that my "husband-stuff" must have sounded like I thought you needed a man .... no, no, no! All those years I spent taking care of myself and my youngest son were hard but good. (The ex quit work and contracted "under the table" so no earnings reported = no child support.) You have a plan ... and I know you'll have wonderful experiences now - because you can. I grew up a lot between the ages of 40 and 58. The best part was that I realized early on that I didn't "need" a man in my life. You go, Glenda!

I am so sorry for the loss of your sons, Betty. Although time heals, it doesn't fill the hole in your heart.

Betty, I read today where you said squirrels will dig up daffodils! Dang. We will be going back to Oakhurst next weekend and I'm now crossing my fingers. We probably should swing by the nursery (or Lowes) and get some wire netting. Even with the rototiller, that was a lot of work to have critters mess with it. Xing my fingers.

Nancy, I'm sorry about your son and family not being in your life, too. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by all my children, their spouses, grandchildren, great grandchildren -- but I would be saddened if I had no contact with any one of them - even though many are "less than perfect."

I've got to take the loaner back and pick up Larry's car this morning ... and get groceries ... and go to the post office ... and do laundry ... and bake cookies. So a full day ahead but I had to check in.

Green Acres, Farmgirls ... hugs & kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  12:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Man Glenda, I'm jealous that you can plant stuff NOW when we are pulling our stuff out getting ready for the killer snow-storms. All we grow is icicles...lots and lots of icicles...and no matter how you flavor those suckers....they are still icicles.....ROFL.....

This was a couple of winters ago!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Oct 03 2011 12:46:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  5:12:21 PM  Show Profile
I plant garlic in November and harvest it in late July. We got a peck of garlic this year!The weeds were taking over the garlic this year so DH tilled it up after I harvested it. I may skip the planting this year and just see what comes up on it's own. There were a lot of bulbs and seed heads laying around out there so it may come up all by itself next year. hmmmm....tough decision.We could have our first frost any time now.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Oct 03 2011 5:13:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Why do I have a variety of friends who are all different in character?
Some of them can be considered marginal even?
How do I get on with them all?
I think that each one helps to bring out a "different" part of me.. .
With one of them I am a polite, good girl.
I joke with another friend.
I sit down and talk about serious matters with one of them.
With another I giggle at every silly thing.
I have my tea with one
And dance with another.
I listen to one friend's problems and give her advice
Then I listen to another advising me.
They are all like pieces of a jigsaw,
When completed they form a treasure box.
A treasure of friends!
They are my friends who understand me better than myself,
who support me through good days and bad days.
They are like colourful anti-depressants that I take on different days.
Real Age doctors tell us that friends are good for our health.
Dr.Oz calls them Vitamins F (from Friends) and counts the benefits of friends to our well being.
Research shows that people in strong social circles have less risk of depression
and terminal strokes. If you take Vitamin F constantly you can be up to 30 years younger than your real age.The warmth of friendship stops stress and even in your tense moments it decreases the chance of a cardiac arrest or stroke by 50%.
I am so happy that I have a stock of Vitamins F!
In summary we should value our friends and keep in touch with them.
We should try to see the funny side of things and laugh together, not forgetting
to open our mouths big to swallow the floating vitamins F!!!!

Thank you for being my vitamins!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 03 2011 5:16:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  6:44:42 PM  Show Profile
It's windy here today as a cold front is headed our way. It may also rain but then it's to warm up again. Darn, Darn, Darn. I hope we can plant the rest of our trees on Wednesday even if it rains. We don't usually get a lot of rain when it does. Our average rainfall is only 3 inches a year.

Nancy, I understand how you feel about not having seen your son in that many years. I have one that I never hear from. He just married a gal 17 years younger than him and I found out on Facebook. I'm repeating myself on that one. After my oldest son passed away his ex wife (they'd been divorced six or seven years) wouldn't let me see the children. Luckily I'm not blocked from them on Facebook. The oldest is now married and I do hear from him on there from time to time. My other sons ex won't let me see the children either. I always treated my daughters in law with respect and helped them all I could so don't know the reason behind it all. Well, the oldest ex daughter in law remarried and I think he's the cause and with the other I think it's her parents that's telling her to keep me away. Someday maybe the grandchildren will find me. The oldest one did.

It sounds like everyone is doing good. My neighbor came down earlier and got some eggs from me. Her chickens only lay every few days as they're older chickens. She'll be gone For a few days starting Thursday so I will be taking care of her chickens and cat and dog.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  7:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy, I just have to giggle very loudly over that pic....

Peggy, I love the poem, thank you so much for sharing it

Betty, sorry about the stuff with your son. It isn't right that ex wives have to be so cruel. I hope the grands come around soon.

Glenda, sounds like you are going to have a great garden this winter.

Darlys you sound like you had a very busy day...wow..

Lynn, glad you had a beaufiful day today, we did too..nice to see fall coming on strong

Kim I am so glad your hip is doing better....I hope the colder weather doesn't make it worse. it bother's my joints sometimes.

I got to run...going to get up early tomorrow and go to Athens with DH..(a little over an hour away) He has a meeting early in the morning...so I'm tagging along so I can go to hobby lobby...:)

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  04:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, everyone sounds so busy. I guess it is almost perfect weather to get things done...not miserably hot and not freezing cold. Yesterday, my son's GF and I decorated the front of the house for Halloween. I never decorate for Halloween, but she had some cute ideas. Besides, I had her help and it gave us something to do. We went to the lumber yard to get foam insulation to make our tombstones. The yard man gave us an entire skid of odds and ends lumber when we told him we were decorating for halloween. Didn't really need it right now, but I am not going to pass up a skid of lumber. Never know when I might need it for repairs or something...lol. I am planning a day in St Louis. My son's girlfriend has never been this far west so her and I are heading to St Louis while my son and hubby finishes up my to-do-list. First stop will be Weight Watchers to weigh in. I will see how I have done on my first week. Hubby is riding back to Ohio with the kids and will come back in his pick-up. He will probably stay out there for a week at least. I don't mind the time alone. I enjoy not having to stop working on a project to accomodate him. He seems to always want fed when I am knee deep in something far more important than his eating...lol.

Brenda - It sounds like so much fun having a day out with the girls! I would love to have my girls close by.

Kim - It was a day for Chili.. but we all enjoyed lunch at the famous "Taylor's Chili Parlor" here in town. People come from all over to enjoy Taylor's. But, I truly believe you have to have been raised on it to enjoy it so much. They have never served coffee or desserts and have a limited menu. It is family owned and the family member that originally opened Taylor's would never serve coffee because he didn't want this farming community to sit around chit-chatting over dessert and coffee and take up valuable table space. It worked and still works. The place is always crowded through lunch hour.

Lynn - Have fun with your family this weekend. I always loved trips to Amish country when I lived in Ohio. Though there is an area here in Illinois I always enjoyed as a kid. I may have to venture over there soon.

Judy - I am glad you like the potato bag. I think they make the best potatoes. They are cotton layers with natural cotton batting. From my understanding the cotton batting is important and you risk a fire if nylon batting is used.
Oh, and I am going to have to get some of the pumpkin spice marshmallows. They sound delicious. I bet they would be great in a rice krispie treat! I wonder how many WW points they are?

Darlys - Yes, my daughter just recently moved from Seattle Washington to Monterey. I just visited her last month. I will have to make plans next visit to meet you for lunch!

Peggy Ann - I loved the "Vitamin F" post. I will definately print it out and share it with the girls at our next Sisterhood meeting.

Well, off to do chores, so we can get on the road to St Louis. Have a great day.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  05:07:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning to you, good morning to you.

I am still enjoying the beautiful fall weather here today. There is predicted rain for the weekend so we shall see if it turns up here in our little "doughnut hole" in Fernandina Beach where we usually don't get much rain.

Betty, thank you for sharing about not seeing your grandchildren either. I have felt very alone about not seeing these 2 granddaughters that I haven't told anyone before. I usually just say I don't see my son. I am sorry to hear that you, too, are in a situation similar to mine. It is sad that people have to make the children suffer by keeping them from family in order to punish them.

Judy, that is the biggest one I have ever seen. It is HUGE!!! I had to show that to my DH who is from MA. He said he has never seen one that big either.

Peggy, I love the poem. I love the Vitamin F for Friends. I have had a lot of Vitamin F lately since I met all of you dear gals.

Kim, I am happy to hear your hip is doing better.

Glenda, it's sounds like you are going to have a good garden. I love reading about all that you are doing in your garden and around your house.

I have to get going today. I have my sewing group. I am going to start a quilt today.... a very simple one.

Hugs and more hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  05:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Patty, my mom is from Illinois and I still have many family members there. I even know where Carlinville is. Mom's from a little town named Panama, between Hillsboro and Greenville.

I need to read the threads regarding apron making. I would love to make one. It's been a long time since I've done something like that. The last time I made one, it was from old curtains I found in the basement. Always fun to recycle.

Glenda, we have a geenhouse also. Last year we had spinach that wintered over. Never saw that before, especially since we were below zero a few nights. It sure was nice to have fresh greens in January.

I have a question...is it ok to pull rhubarb a second time late in the year? I've heard conflicting info on this. Some say pull it in the spring only not in the fall. Our rhubarb looks better now than it did in the spring and I want to make some jam and a couple crisps.

Time to get going. Have a wonderful day!!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  09:56:59 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies...I had a Wonderful time at the Oregon Coast. We had beautiful weather the first day, all sunshiny, bright and warm. Not a bit of breeze. We so enjoyed it. The next two days it was over-cast but didn't rain...that was enjoyable too. Sunday it started sprinkling a little before we left. By the time
we were a fourth of the way home it was really raining and my Fibro flared and my Chronic-fatigue hit. I had to sleep...couldn't keep my eye balls open. Good thing I wasn't the driver! My gals got to see first hand how I have no control over my body when this hits. We stopped for a potty break and I woke up enough to go use the bathroom and my girlfriend said, "Wow, Peg...even your voice changes, it gets real deep and raspy!" I came home and had to go right to bed and the next day was just the same. This morning I got up to take out the dogs, did up the dishes my hubby left in the sink and sat down to post to you girls and now my fatigue has hit again.

Did a lot of shopping at the Coast! Also, had no problem staying on my No Wheat Diet. Which was fabulous!
Don't think I have lost too much weight but the inches are coming off. Yahoo!!!!

Well, girls my eye-balls are at half mast guess I better go crawl back into bed. Will chat more later!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Lynn........if you are talking about cutting it. Then I say go ahead. I cut ours 3x's this year. But I have heard not to lift it in the fall, only in the spring. if you cut it and it is going to frost on it i would cover it for a few times till the ends have a chance to heal themselves.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Glenda.........you did it right. The pic is adorable. And I am the one who left the tut on the big shirt. It is easy peasy. Just cut the sleeves where you want them and put elastic around the bottom of the sleeve and then remove the collar and make a mandarin collar out of it. You can look at it and terll right where to remove it. Then you can decorate it the way you want. I woul dlove to see what you come up with.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  10:32:01 AM  Show Profile
Morning girlfriends --

It rained all yesterday afternoon and evening and we understand an even bigger front is moving in tonight. Just now we have a break but it's beginning to cloud over. Got a lot done yesterday before I caved in. Even got hubby's car smog checked after I picked it up from being serviced. Now I just have to renew his registration. Also, got oatmeal cookies baked so it made the house smell good while it was raining out. A hummingbird sat of the feeder bar just under the overhang outside the kitchen window for 25! minutes. Just sat there, occasionally looking around. I didn't see him drink once. Guess he was just thinking "hey, I'm not gettin' rained on over here - guess I'll just hang for a while."

Patty, do you fly into SF or San Jose? (I'm sort of right inbetween but a bit closer to San Jose) We definitely have to get together the next time you are out here.

Glenda, the only experience I've had with dogs is with the German Shepherds. They are smart, trainable, strong and protective. But they do tend to have med-longish hair.

Love the picture of the horses and the teeny-tiny guy.

Welcome home, PeggyAnn. So glad you had a good girlfriend time at the coast.

Kim, I'm glad the hip is feeling better.

Judy, that is one monster icycle!

I have to go to the obgyn at Kaiser again today. Still discussing this prolapse business. I might get a referral today. So, I'll bid you all to have a great day --- and catch up again later.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page