True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  1:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,

It sounds like you had a rough go. I'm so sorry that all that was handed to you on a platter. I'm sorry your sister is so sick. It's hard to bear I know. It doesn't sound like her life on earth will last much longer and for all your prayers she could be making her journey home. It takes longer for some.

I hope our trip is a good one. I could care less about the Grand Lodge but it's important to my hubby and he's never been before and it may be the last time he goes for all I know. I will enjoy the drive up because I will get to see the scenery (if anyone has ever driven north on I-5 it's pretty barren) and I don't mind if I have to spend time alone in the hotel room. There will be activities and there are shops and places to eat in the hotel complex so I'll be fine. Saturday I have a tea to go to and there will be a dinner that night and Sunday is open to the wives as well so it should be fine. I don't like all the traffic and congestion but it's only for the weekend. Thank heaven I don't have to live there. Another plus is the weather, it's cooler up there so close to the ocean and that will be a nice change.

Have to go hunt up a pattern so had better go. Talk to you all later, Betty
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  6:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Dang, Betty, if we were going to be in Cupertino this weekend I'd head up to the city to meet you. But, we have company coming up to Oakhurst - so we head up there Thursday night.

Patty, I have so much to say that I'm saving it for tomorrow. Love your epitaph ... mine was going to read "I told you I was sick!" I actually like yours better ... maybe I'll go with "I told you my back was killing me" - it would be appropriate (and truthful) - if not flat-out plagerism.

Peggy - I'm glad the funeral was a good thing. It sounds like you had a rough time of it otherwise. Your sister did the right thing to not allow your mom to come and be cruel to her. God gave her you so she always would have someone who she knows really cares for her.

Favorite go-to movie: It's a really corny chick-flick with Renee Zeilweger & Harry Conick, Jr. called "New In Town." I've actually known someone from New Ulm, Minnysoooota ...and I laughed 'til my sides hurt. It is cute, sweet, romantic, funny and kind of over-the-top with the Minnysoota accent. I love that movie. I had never heard of it and just picked it up because it looked like it was a clean, family friendly movie when we all got together at Christmas one year. Now it's our "classic"

I've been reading all these posts and realized --- Got some serious catching up to do here ... so tomorrow ... (singing) - tomorrow is only a day awaaaaaaay!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  6:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh PeggyGirl...hugshugshugs....for all that you had to bear seeing your sister like that. My heart aches for you!
Patty I got my package, thank you so much, can't wait to try it. No taters in the house right now. Maybe I'll take it to Mom's and we'll have a tater on you girl! *giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile
As a newbie I just want to say to Peggy that it must have been wonderful to see your sister again, no matter how ill she is. Life doesn't seem fair much of the time but there has to be a reason and we hopefully know when we leave this earth.

Judy - It's so GREAT to meet another bunny lover! My name here, Oggie, is actually my mini lop's name. He is six and I even started a bunny business because of him. It's my website at the bottom here. We once had two buns who lived to be 13 and we had to put one down finally has he couldn't even walk poor thing.

Peggy Ann - Halleluah!

Patsy - Love the green house. We were going to build one this past spring but hubby knew he'd be laid up all summer so we postponed it. I have a small button box but I have my great-grandmothers button box too! I don't collect them but how can I get rid of it, right!

Have a great night ladies! I'm off to bed.
Ginny

Betty - Have you gone to the Masons yet? My hubby is a Mason but other then locally he hasn't gone to other Mason events.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Oggie,

We leave Thursday for my daughters where we'll spend the night and then leave early Friday from there, about a 4 hour trip and then the fun begins. The festivities for him begins about one on Friday and the end will be about noon or so Sunday and we'll begin the 8 hour drive home. We have gone to a Jr. Deacons retreat a couple of years ago and have been to other lodges for events but this is a first for the Grand Lodge. It's so expensive to stay in San francisco and thankfully the lodge will pay for my husbands half. He's looking forward to it as he's been so active in the lodge from day one so I hope it's a good time for him. October is my time as we fly back to NC for my granddaughters wedding and I can visit with friends there also since I used to live in the area.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning dear ladies. I had a wonderful day yesterday. My sewing group went well. I shared my gypsy doll with the group. They like her very much. I began making the doll there so I wanted the ladies to see how she turned out. I am making some aprons right now and have started making an apron out of a vintage tablecloth. I got the pattern for the apron out of a book called "Vintage Notions." It only takes a yard of fabric and I had this tablecloth which I found at an antique shop. I think it will make a really cute apron.

Went to lunch with my hubby of 24 years. This is my second husband, too. I was married to my ex for 25 years before I wised up and got rid of him. Barely made it out of that marriage with any sense of who I was. Then I met Leon. The years we have been married seem to have flown by. We just get along so well.

Went shopping and ended up buying some shirts and pants. Leon picked up some socks which was his major purchase. Some men just don't like to shop for clothes and he is one of them. Since we were downtown in the old Fernandina we went into the little candy shop where they sell ice cream and bought ourselves an ice cream cone. Our favorite is Rum Raisin. Being from So.California I had never heard of this flavor until I came east. I don't know why.

PeggyAnn, I am sorry to hear about your sister. It does sound like you had quite a weekend. I will pray for your sister. Your MIL sounds like she was a very special woman. How nice to have shared all the stories about her.

Have a great trip, Betty. Enjoy yourself and have a ball!

Going to have my breakfast, take the dog for a walk, and get on with the day.

Have a great day everyone! Love you all!

Hugs,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughter is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  07:35:41 AM  Show Profile
For All You Wonderful Women...thank you for your love, support, prayers and encouragement. It was a bitter/sweet wknd. I got to see many old friends at MIL's Funeral and the Celebration Party afterwards was wonderful! My grandbabies were there and I got to love on them. My Sweet DILove, she is the best mommy to my grand-daughters. I am really blessed with the "Special" young women that my sons have chosen for spouses.

My Sisters situation is heart breaking but she brought it on herself from smoking since she was 11 and she admits that. I was so glad to get to see her and will miss her terribly when the Lord takes her home. We are extremely close. God has blessed me with the opportunity in the last 10 yrs. since dad's death to help her through some painful emotions and hatred towards our Mother. She has been able to forgive her which is a huge leap from where she was. Nobody wants to leave this World with relationship struggles and regrets and bitterness in your heart. I just don't want her to continue to suffer.

Last night I went to my youngest son's house and started to help them pack-up for their move to their new house in 3 weeks. We got a lot accomplished in just a few hours. I may go back over tonight too. They both work such long hard hours and it feels nice to be able to help them out just a little bit. They are so good to this mama.

Here is a picture of some of my produce I gleaned from my little garden yesterday. It is producing beans, zuchinni and tomatoes like crazy right now. It is fun to share my little harvest with family and friends.

"Appreciate the Simple Things...Notice Everyday Miracles." ~ R.P.

Bless You All...as you bless me,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 21 2011 07:40:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
And another beautiful good morning to all the ladies! The sun is shining, I hear what sounds like insects (but I think it's just that weird sound in my ears), it has warmed up a bit and I am deciding what to do with this day.

Yesterday I worked on one of the little aprons for the grandsons for Christmas. They are so tiny, I should have all of them finished long ago, but it is just so hard to focus on anything these days. Doc says the new meds should help with my concentration (I suffered a serious concussion 2 years ago and my mind got a bit mixed up) Let's not visit that topic.

There's another grand-baby due for Thanksgiving, parents don't want to know the sex ahead of time. Which is understandable, they have 3 boys and although they sense this one will be a boy, they want to hold out a little hope for a girl. Either way, it is a welcomed addition and will be our 10th grandchild.

I have been trying to think of a favorite movie, but every time I finally think of one, I forget about it and have to start over... lol

Peggy, I am so sorry for you about your sister. You have been fortunate to have had a good relationship with her, when the time comes you will have the memories and she will always be with you.

It seems, too, that most of you have mothers who are either wonderful or absolutely awful.... mine just "isn"t" ... never good or bad, never there even when she was in the room with us.

Peggy, your veggies look so good! My little garden came and went quickly. I planted 10 plants into 6 large potting soil bags. Lots of tomatoes, summer squash and cucumbers. Lost all the cantaloupes to rain. Next year I am planning to have a raised bed garden with lots of plantings. http://kathleenandnick.blogspot.com/

Also thinking about getting a few chickens but have no idea of the best way to get started with them. Just want a few, maybe 3, to get started. Thought about maybe getting a goat too, but haven't a clue of what's involved there. We live next door to a little elementary school, only grades K-3, we share the backyard fence. I think the little ones would get a kick out of having a petting zoo next door.

We have just under one/half acre on a corner lot. Ideally I would love to have a mini-farm here. A few chickens, a goat for milk and keeping the grass trimmed, maybe a sheep for wool, some fruit trees and the veggie garden....... An summer kitchen to do the canning would be awesome, but unlikely. Ahhhhh... to dream

Time to get up and moving around...... Have a wonderful day all!

{{{{hugs}}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, ladies!

I think I posted a hello very early on in this forum.

May I join in? I have A LOT of catching up to do with all the posts, but what a joy that will be to get to know everyone. There seem to be a lot going on with everyone, life certainly brings us challenges doesn't it? So very sorry for some of the difficulties and hurts many of you are going thru.

I am in my later 50's. Have been divorced for many years. I have 4 grown children and 5 gkids. Half of my family lives on the west coast, half here in middle America.

Lived in Calif until 2 years ago. Health, economy and my own financial mistakes prompted me to prayerfully make a change and move where the other half of my family lives. A VERY hard choice to make. I went from a old home on 5 acres in a rural desert community with family there, to a city and suburban apt living. Never mind snow!! Lol!!

Anyway, it has taken me the 2 years to kinda get out of the 'funk' of change. There is a lot that I miss, mostly kids and gkids there, but there is a lot I am beginning to be grateful for and enjoy!!

It is peace of mind to have on site maintenance, gardners, and the workers who plow and shovel the sidewalks during snow season, central air/heat and an indoor mailbox!! Have a balcony, overlooks trees and grass, that I really love to enjoy in warm/cool weather and decorate for Christmas. Enjoy the herbs I plant each spring! A blessing to have kids and gkids here too, It is certainly not a farm, ranch or rural living. However, I am learning to just enjoy this life of change, at last!

Look forward to posting and getting to know everyone!!

God's blessings,
Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Sep 21 2011 09:31:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good morning all,

When I got up this morning was so happy to see rain. It has been weeks since it has rained. I hope it rains all day even if it starts and stops. We so need it...my pond is so low, I am sure the fish will be happy with fresh water.

Nancy, I am so happy that you were cured of Hep C. My brother that had colon and liver cancer also had Hep C, so I understand how difficult it is. I'm glad ya'll got some rain too. Can't wait to see a pic of the apron...maybe it will get my creative juices flowing...

Patty, DH and I slept in a single bunk for a year and a half before the bedroom was finished. I'm lucky that he build a 640 sq foot bedroom for us. We put in a walk in closet that took up about 8 x 12 of the room. But still lots of room. I have part of it as my craft area and part as my office for our real estate business. Our bedroom is as big as the rest of the cabin...lol...but as I've said before I'm happy with my little piece of the world.

Hey Linda PA, come on and stop back in when you have time.

Jolly, sounds like it was a nice walk even in the rain. You know I have never had zucchini bread. I don't really know why not but even with all the zucchini we had last year it is something I've never tried. Would you share the recipe with me?

Kathleen, it sounds like you had a great visit with the grands. Mine are 15 and 12 and I enjoy spending time with them when I can. They live a little over 2 hours away so don't see them as much a I would like.
I understand how surprising it was when the"one" shows up in your life. I'm blessed to have my DH. I sure hope they start on your house soon and that you get back in when the promise. Congrats on the new Grandbaby...so sweet. I sure hope you post pics of those cute little aprons...I just love tiny things. Aren't dreams wonderful...don't ever quit dreaming...

Betty, glad you don't have to pay the $275 a night for the hotel too...wow, that's alot. My DH has been to SF but I haven't, maybe someday. You are from England, so cool...do you still have the accent? Enjoy your trip...can't wait to hear about it when you get back.

My sweet Peggy. I hope you got some rest. I am so happy to hear you got to spend time with your grands, son and DILove...Congrats on your little bounty from the garden. Looks great.

Hi Patsy, hope your day is going good.

Darlys, so good to see ya...hope to see ya later today. I'm going to have to check out that movie...sounds good.

Ginny, hope you stop by today...It is so nice to see newbies here...I promise you won't call yourself that for long. The ladies here just pull you in and make you a part of there lives and we are all one big extended family... :)

Hey Linda KS, now with two Linda's I will have to make sure I got get ya'll mixed up....so hope it is ok that I call ya Linda and your state after it...lol... I am so glad to have you join us here...thank you for sharing your story with us. I am glad that you are finally settling in at your place in KS. Come by anytime and share with us and join in on our crazy, wacky conversations that we sometimes have...lol...

I off to work on the pillowcases for the Rescued girls...got to get them in the mail first of next week.

PS...missing David but he seems to be doing good..happy so far with the transfer...he is driving more now instead of working the dock.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Good morning ladies. Several days to catch up on.

A warm welcome to Linda and Kathleen. These are a wonderful bunch of women.

Kim, I maded my own grouping of cornstalks several years ago. Would never have thought of selling them, but what a great idea. One mans junk....

Patsy congrats on your ribbons. How exciting that must have been for you. Had finally gotten up the nerve and decided to enter a cross stitch project, but the fair has been cacelled indefinately due to lack of funds. So much for procrastination.

Patty, sorry to hear about the rain. Never fails, it rains when you want it the least. Hope the weekend was not a bust for you. Sounds like Saturday was okay. I hate to show my ignorance, but what is a hedge apple. Asked my mom, said she'ld heard of it, but couldn't recall what they were.

Penny, my oldest daughter loves the Wizard of Oz. She is 26 next month and still in her collecting stage. I'm always on the lookout for different pieces.

Peggy, so sorry to hear about your weekend. Sounds like your mil loved life. What a wonderful lesson for all of us. Hope the good Lord eases your sisters pain and glad you got to spend some time with her.

Betty, hope you have a wonderful time in San Fransisco. Should be nice this time of year, but bring a coat just in case!

My all time favorite movie is "It's a wondeful life" with Jimmy Stewart. Beyond that, I'm a sucker for disaster type movies. Always have been, don't ask me why.

I too am on my second husband. Left my first after 12 years, he was pretty abusive. steve and I have been married 17 years. He is my best friend and soul mate. It's amazing how wonderful life can be with the right person by your side

Went shopping with my mom yesterday. I feel so bad when I hear about the some of your relationships with your moms. I feel so blessed. My mother, besides my DH is my best friend. I talk with her every day and visit several days a week.

More cat tails. She is driving me crazy. Finally got her out from under the deck, hunger always gets the better of her. Even still, she won't come out on her own. So, I put the doggie door in and let the dogs in and out all day long. When they go out, the cats meows as loud as she can in protest. At night, she paces back and forth meowing so we'll let her out (that ain't gonna happen!).

Bought a new bread book yesterday. Guess what I'll be doing today
Have a great day ladies.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Forgot to tell you. Saved up my pennies and joined the sisterhood and ordered the books on Monday. I'm soooo excited. Woohoo

Waiting with baited breath to see if I get the water bottle. Will keep you posted.

A.J.

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all,

Just got back from town. PT for hubby and bank and Walmart for me. Home Depot has some more Eldorica Pines in so when we go into town again tomorrow we'll take the truck and buy more. I need four more since nine trees died and another one looks like it. Darn the person that said the Leyland Cypress did well in the desert. I think he got it mixed up with the AZ Cypress which does good here.

Linda, what part of KS are you in? Hubby was born and raised in Payola and still has children and grandchildren there and two sisters, one 94 and the other 99.

No. I don't have an accent anymore but some people pick up on it when I say certain words.

Tomorrow is another PT morning for hubby at 7:30 and a beauty shop app.t at 9 for me and then we can come home after we pick up the trees and start loading up the car. We want to be on the road by noon so I have time to go to JoAnn's or Michaels and pick up baby yarn before going to my daughters. I think we'll be taking them out to eat. The boys are very well behaved. Preston is 12 and Owen 2 but he sits in his high chair like a champ and he listens so well.

Have to get busy and do a load of wash and have a white shirt to iron for tomorrow. Will chat with you later, Betty
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  12:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the welcome! Penny-yes, Linda ks is just fine! Lol! Betty- I am in Wichita. Not sure where the town you mentioned is?Hope everyone has a good afternoon? Blessings, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Linda,

Hubby's daughter lives in Wichita and another daughter lives in Newton just 35 miles north. His son lives in Emporia which is several hours north and east of you. Paola is a little bitty town south west of Kansas City maybe 30 miles or so. We were in Wichita in June for a couple of days visiting and go back every couple of years so maybe next time we can stop by and say howdy.

I just got word that my granddaughter will be going to Ft. Stewart, GA whe4n she graduates from AIT in Ft. Leon Wood, MO in October. She'll be a long way from home which is in WA state but I have a daughter in NC so she'll get to visit her aunt and cousins if she stays in the US for long. Bye for now.
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  3:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Betty, you and I must have talked to the same person. We too planted Leyland Cypress. 10 in all; they all died. Fortunately, everywhere there was one growing an Elm tree sprouted. My DH doesn't like Elms, says they get diseased. Told him by the time that happens it will be the kids problem lol. Anyway, we were fortunate that we didn't have to spend money to replace them. Wouldn't it be nice if nurseries only sold stuff that grew in your region? What a concept.

A.J.

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  5:36:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry you lost your Cypress trees also. None grew in there place but I'm replacing them as soon as the weather turns cool, hopefully soon. Home Depot and WalMart sell the same plants and trees no matter what zone you live in. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting new gardener when they buy something that will look pretty in ther garden and it dies because it's not meant for that zone. It's not right that's for sure.

I have bought AZ cypress and Eldorica Pines because they like out drought conditions, our alkaline water and soil and they don't mind the heat and cold. I have about 20 eucalyptus trees that I planted as seedlings about a foot tall. In three years 5 of them have grown to be 20 feet tall. Some are only 5 feet tall but they're doing well. The nurseries around here don't sell them. I bought mine from a neighbor that bought over a hundred and sold some to help pay the cost of his trees. He bought them in SO. CA somewhere. Nurseries online don't sell them unless they are already big and they charge almost $50 for them.

I also have Palo Verde trees and Desert Willows and another tree that does well is the Mesquite tree. My first one is about 15 feet tall and I have three or four that are 4-5 feet tall. Nevada and our area of CA are about the same. That would also take in AZ and NM in certain places. Gardening is a challenge.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile
OMGosh Darlys, I discovered "New In Town" back around christmas last year and it cracked me up. So many funny One-liners. I think Harry Connick Jr is a doll. I saw him for the first time in "When Harry Met Sally", at the end where they showed him playing the piano and singing,"It had to be you." He was so young back then...course, so was I! LOL I grew up listening to his Dad's music because Mom liked it. I was at the grocery store about a month ago and found "New In Town in a discount basket for $4.00 and got all bubbly&giggly and brought it home. Now I can watch it anytime I want.Yipppeeeee! Takes so little to make me happeeeeeee!!! hahaha
Hi again Linda. How are you these days? Good to have you back on here. How's Brenda? Haven't heard from her in awhile.
Ginny, I'm happy to meet a fellow bunny-lover too. We'll have to share bunny stories. I lost my last one 2 years ago and I really miss having a bunn around. They are so much fun and GREAT company, like a cat, only quieter and less smelly. hahaha(don't tell Rascal-Kitty I said that).He thinks (his) don't stink!! LOLOL I've had bunn-bunns that put the cats in their place by chasing them and growling and flinging their 'lil paws at them.These were females mind you. Now this last bunn was a male and Rascal(male-both neutered)wasn't afraid of him at all...he'd just bop him in the head with his paw and the bunn didn't know what to think. Just goes to prove: Women Don't Take Noooo Crap!Back Off!!hahahaha
Well Gals, take care of yourselves! Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  6:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Betty, a small world isn't it? I am on the west end. Just west of the downtown Delano area. Are you familiar with it? Let me know when you are out here. I know Newton, love it there! I have an aunt in Emporia. My maternal family is all in Ks/Mo. Hi Judy! I am doing fairly ok. Brenda is too. I am hoping to have Brenda join us here again too! Been a bit of a long, tough summer. Happy to get back on the forums! As for movies? Love all kinds that are family oriented. Westerns and prairie stories are my favorites. Have a good nite everyone! Blessings, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  7:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Penny.........I would love to share my recipe for zucchini bread. But today has been a long one and I will get to it tomorrow, so be looking for sure.

Today was a long one. Started well before 6am with chores and some house work and then to the kennel till noon and then home for a shower and to get ready for the "sqeeze of death" (mammo) at 1:45. Then I went to the library to pick up Aloha Quilts and The Union Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini. They had borrowed them for me from another library and were holding them. Then home and made dinner which was Salmon, collard greens and brown rice And sliced tomatoes. I had been having a bit of a problem with my siatic nerve on the left hip, well this morning at the kennel I went to step and I actually heard and felt something rip in my left hip. WOW, not good! Now it is a hot pain and I am not enjoying this. No time for pain!! I am going to try some rest so I will call it a night soon.

See ya'll tomorrow!

PS.I made my Wordless Wednesday post on my blog. Check it out, you'll get it. And don't forget I am having a give-a-way when I get 50 followers. So now is a great time to become a groupie!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Edited by - jollyquilter on Sep 21 2011 7:50:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  9:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm not familiar with Wichita at all. Art lived there for many years. He taught school in KS and even in the Wichita area. It is a small world though isn't it?

Jollyquilter, I also like Jennifer Chiaverini. I have read all her books and there is a new one coming out in November, I think, called "The Wedding Quilt" Sorry to hear you have an "owie" as my grandson used to say. Hope it feels better soon.

I have a bit more packing to do and then I am ready to leave tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  01:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies....
Too much going on today that I can't sleep. Layed away for an hour and decided heck with it...I am getting up. So at 2am, I was up and working on packing for the fall festival. Will have a break with you while I have a cuppa or two.
I still have 5 apron hangers I need to fill. I can get them done today as the aprons are all cut out and just ready to be sewn together. I hope on having time to make little catnip filled mice out of some recycled tweed skirts and jackets before we go. Always a good seller. :) I spent yesterday evening serging "Reusable Swiffer covers" from old sweatshirts. Most of the day was spent making "walls" for my canopy out of painters cloth. It will make "closing up shop" these next few days much easier each evening. I am sure looking forward to a great sale and beautiful weather. We will be camping there in the RV all weekend. I love our time in the RV.
My DH, Dalous (pronounced Dallas), is up and at em' too. I am also one of the lucky ones that found a good companion. He is up early just as I am and always busy. We are a good match. He will load the trailer and get the motorhome ready. I made a list of groceries and he is going to the 24 hour Walmart for me. I HATE walmart and refuse to go... but when there is nothing else open, I have no problem sending him. :) Walmart ran all the small fabric stores out of business with their cheap fabric and now they no longer carry fabric around here. I have to drive 40 miles to pick up fabric or notions. Thank goodness I recycle so many linens.

Patsy- What a crazy auction. I am afraid if I had the money to throw around I wouldn't pay $100 for a pie...lol. I would probably buy more fabric or spend it on pigeons, chickens or the like. Then donate chickens for dumplings. There is a preacher in St Louis that had live skinny leghorn roosters donated once. He had them all in a basement stairwell along the sidewalk of a big high rise building and was giving them to the needy. So you had to be able to butcher it yourself...lol. People were "flocking" to get those live chickens. And leghorn roosters are by no means a big meaty chicken.

Betty- Have a safe trip. I hope your husband enjoys Grand Lodge. Appears to be several Masonic "widows" on this forum. :) How long have you been here from England? My mother's grandparents were dutch and though we have always lived here, my mother has a strong Dutch accent, as well as her siblings and a couple of my siblings. Mine is not so strong, but some people do ask me once in awhile if I am from PA.

Darlys- Have a great weekend in Oakhurst.

Peggy Ann- I am so envious of your produce. My garden has been dried up for so long. :(

A.J.- You will love the MJ books! I look over mine, over and over again...lol.

Linda - I hope you enjoy the forum and stick around. It is a fun group of ladies.

You are all making me hungry with talk about zucchini bread. I think I will bake a few small loaves to take with me to the festival to snack on this weekend.

Have a good weekend.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  04:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Good morning ladies! What a day.... it's raining again. I can't believe all the rain we have gotten here this year, we might as well be living in Seattle. Well the contractor is supposed to begin working on the house today at 8 a.m. I have this bad feeling, sure hope I am wrong. While waiting I am going to just relax and have my tea, and think positive thoughts...

My little guys helped collect the fallen walnuts last weekend. I had thought about actually using them, but they are terrible to process! It's no wonder they cost so much at the market. Can't wait to have a real kitchen and stove for cooking again. The rv has its uses, but after five months it has gotten cramped and the little stove isn't fun anymore.

It nearly time for the school buses to begin bringing in the little ones for the school next door. The little elementary school, grades K-3 or 4, abuts our backyard. From where I sit I can watch them arrive in the morning. They are so cute when they march out in single file at recess to go play in their playground at the schools backyard. Brings back so many memories.

Time to go open the house for the contractor...

Have a good day!

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  05:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

I have a busy day today. Have to get moving this body of mine.

AJ you will love the MJF books. I have read them over and over and use them all the time for reference and recipes. I love them.

My favorite movie or should I say movies because I have two are first, Casablanca. I have watched that movie so many times and I never tire of it. Second one is Some Like It Hot. I think it is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Jack Lemmon just cracks me up. He is so funny. My favorite girly movie is When Harry Met Sally. My husband and I were such good friends before we got married and maybe that is why I like it. That, and my favorite song, It Had To Be You, is in it. Does anyone else have a favorite song they want to share?

JollyQuilter, I am sorry to hear about your hip being in such pain. That sciatic nerve pain is awful and is so disabling. I have only had it once and the only thing I could do was to rest and to lie with my legs elevated over a chair. I had terrible pain shooting down my leg.

Have a great day ladies. Tomorrow is the start of Autumn.

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language.
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:54:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone! I got all the chores done this morning and it is a dreary one out there. Fingers are crossed we will see some sunshine today at some point. I skipped the walk this morning as the hip is still giving me fits. But this shall not keep me down!! I have ot much to do. I am working on things for a show in October and I need to start tying up some things.

Nancy..........thanks over the hip pain. I am not one to complain and try to look at pain as a reminder that I am still alive. But WOW, this is a darn bad pain indeed.

Kathleen.......my fingers are crossed that the contractors show up and are ready to work!

Patty.....I hope your show is extremely successful this weekend. With beautiful weather also.

Betty.....I love the Elm Creek Quilt series and I need to go back and see how many I have missed. I didn't know that she had another coming out so soon. Thanks. I also like reading Beverly Lewis. She just doesn't write fast enough to keep up with me!!......lol. I did not read much all summer and now that the gardens are winding down I am hoping to get back to it a bit.

Here you go ladies!

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs 3 cups of flour

2 cups sugar 1 tsp. salt

1 cup oil 1 tsp. salt

2 cups grated zucchini

3 tsp. vanilla 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup nuts 3 tsp.cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350*

Mix all ingredients. Pour into 2 9x5x4" loaf pans, greased. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

***Instead of flouring your pan I love to sugar mine when making quick breads. And then sprinkle a bit on top before putting into over as well.

****I have also added chocolate chips or butterscotch chip to this. just what ever you have on hand.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Edited by - jollyquilter on Sep 22 2011 06:55:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page