darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Judy - I'm with you. I saw that Kathleen got a water bottle and I was pouting but thought I'd contain it - until you whined. Even just in July - when I joined - we got the "original" package (at least I'm pretty sure it was the original package). You new farmgirls - you rock - but dang, you are also getting pampered. Even though I am turning organically green with jealousy I still want to welcome you. That's cause under all the boo-hoo-ing - Judy and I are basically nice people. Kinda. Sorta. Well, okay, we have "moments" but never toward the farmgirls.

Kathleen, I'm impressed - you've been camping in your backyard since May!!!! I hope you get things underway and your home inhabitable before the snow flies. Did Irene completely miss you? Well, welcome to the Older Sister thread. So glad to have you! You have to keep us posted, now, on the house progress. (It's what we do - it's "life.")

Debra - cool. We had a bunch of downed trees during a storm in the spring. Had a bunch of guys out there with chain saws - DH, DS, and neighbors. They had a burn pile going that was as tall as me - now, several months later, it has reduced itself to where it is barely visible. We never burn in the summer. We are very careful - even on burn days. We got several cords of firewood for our son who uses it (our fireplace is gas) and even at that, we still have "yard art". Actually the yard is pretty clean now - but there are still plenty of (partial) trees left to cut to reasonable lengths.

Patsy, neat greenhouse! Lowes? I may have to check that out. I'm still in the dreaming stage of gardens, chickens, etc. Between the 2 houses we just can't dedicate ourselves to anything that requires much more than turning a key right now. Hubby keeps working in the yard at Oakhurst but it is mostly weed whacking, and pulling weeds and clearing brush. It's looking pretty good out there - but in the summer months it is dry -- even with the sprinkler lines all round. I'm looking forward to growing things once we are settled in permanently up there.

Linda, Lord Almighty - get us started on hot flashes and you may have to put out fires. If you back up a few pages, PeggyAnn posted a bit on hot flashes -- I think "taking up residence in the freezer" was on the list. Yes, hot flashes do come and go and come and go and come and go and .....

Speaking of - dearest PeggyAnn, you always make me smile. I am so glad you feel better. You sound much better. And I'm thinking your retreat will put an even bigger bounce in your step. Diet? Oh my. Kindle ... alright, already! I'll take it to Maui and leave the books at home. With all you ladies losing weight and stowing away in my luggage I'll have to stay out of the Barnes & Noble over there, too. Gotta get you back home so - books-be-gone!

I'm baking banana bread right now. Dishes are in the dishwasher and it's time I did some laundry. I think I will make some quiche for dinner - that's easy enough. Still don't have the energy level I like but don't feel yukky - just tired. So I guess I'm really on the mend.

... after while, croc ... for you Judy -- :-)

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Looks like a very nice greenhouse. I like it.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, you are such a Hoot girl! Maybe we should write to MJ. and tell her we suddenly feel like black sheep, ugly red-headed step children, the 5th wheel.....etc....you get the idea. Make her feel sorry for us! hahahaha....the whiny-est....I mean...squeakest wheel gets the oil....right?
Maybe we all need to drink this Kombucha tea I'm making for the first time, we all seem to have low energy, hot flashes, blue moods, creepy-crotch...oh....wait....that wasn't one of them was it? LOLOL.....we feel like crap anyhow...and we are too nice a bunch of Gals to be in that temperament! Right? Right!! *tea-cups UP*
Love Yuns!
Later Gators

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Sep 14 2011 8:20:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Darlys..you didn't really say banana bread...did you? Oh, how am I ever going live with out breads ever again??? :+( And Especially this time of year...when I love to make pumpkin bread with chocolate chips.
OK...I'm salivating (but not craving) just drooling all over the computer keyboard. This is going to get ugly sometimes girls, bear with me. Just try not to say the "B" (bread) word for awhile...give my a few weeks to really get in to this diet. ~ I will have to go to The Porch and consume every bit of virtual food that the Farmsisters leave. This is really going to be hard...aren't grandma's suppose to be fluffy? Didn't the book The Help say that children needed round soft curves and big bossoms to cling to and hug? I'm sure I read Aibileen saying that! And I just might have to agree with her. OK>>>>>>>>we are leaving the food subject! LOL I got up early this morning and got 5 small loads of Laundry done, including stripping the beds and remaking them. Then I froze some beans (all of a sudden the beans and tomatos are coming on like gangbusters)NOW when I want the garden to be done! Hand watered my garden and a neighbors garden. I should have taken my dogs for a walk but until I get some of this weight off I don't have the energy to go walk.
On oa regular basis anyway. Who was it, Nancy that said she felt like she lived on a continuous diet. I know what you mean...and won't we all be happy when we are in Heaven sitting at that Banquet Table and we won't have to worry about dieting ever again? OK, now that's gonna be a Happy Day Girlfriends! Do I hear an Amen! Halleluah, Thank You...Jesus! (now how did I get us back here on the topic of food again????)
Darlys...praying for your fatigue, hope you feel better soon!

Patsy...love your White/Greenhouse! All I am wondering is ...do ya all have a system of tying that thing down real good?...because it looks like a strong wind might blow that cute little thing all the way over to my house! Do you plan to plant winter produce or just use it to start your spring plants????
Hope you win some ribbons on your Fair Entries. That would be fun! You'll have to let us know.

OK, Judy and Darlys...can I join the "whine group"...I want a MJF Water Bottle too!!! I had my lower-lip out when I read that post too. We should get one just cuz we're older and need to hydrate more, don't ya think? (sorry, best excuse I could think of on the spur of the moment).
Also, Judy you don't have to re-sign up...they don't take away your number or anything, you just can't go in to the Henhouses or get the extra News Letters and obviously you don't get a new Water Bottle Either. lol

This is short but sweet but now I need to go see what groups of Veggies and Fruits are going to be our Dinner tonight.

Later Chicadees...
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Judy - yeah ... maybe MJ'll have pity on us - if we seem miserable enough. I mean - why are we left out. It's sorta like having to sit jammed in the middle in the back seat after being the first one to yell "shotgun!" Ain't fair. --- Girlfriend, we could really lay it on thick, huh? Maybe get a petition going that would require "retro-treats" for us who have been so sorely neglected.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, we ARE crabby and grousing 'cause we are feeling outa sorts? Righto, old girl, make mine Good Earth Original though. Pinky finger out. Teacups UP! My, my, I feel better already! (Maybe there was something stronger than tea in that cup!)

Banana bread is out of the oven. Smells good. We'll have some with our tea. :-) To **** with calories! And, Lord, please love us anyway.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  4:28:09 PM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn - Either you type really fast, or I'm going really slow. I swear I didn't see your post but it looks like you came in 7 minutes ahead of me. Okay, I won't mention the B word - for a while. And, certainly, you can join the pity party that Judy started. She's bringing the pity - I'm bringing the party. Yessss ... I say - a couple more of us get squashed in the middle in the back seat and get that petition going! Absolutely, to the "older women - hydration" idea! It is the pinnacle of "Guilt." Fabulous idea. Let it never be said that the Chronologically Gifted Girls haven't learned how to pile on good old-fashioned Guilt! We need those water bottles - we need to keep hydrated. We might shrivel up and blow away if we don't get our hydration. And shouldn't we have a "designer" water bottle to keep our "beverage of choice" in? Of course, we should.

Yes - Aibileen did say that - and I'm taking her at her word. I got the boobs, the belly and the butt ... all the requirements for lovin' up babies. I didn't weigh 100 pounds (except when I got up to 110 pregnant) until I was 30. I was downright skinny -and couldn't help it (no dieting) ... cruel what 39 more years can do!

Hey Patsy -- waiting to hear how your Fair entries did. You got a Blue Ribbon vote from me, GF.

Guess I'll have to ask what's growing (that I'm allowed) in the community garden at St. John's come Sunday. You ladies are making me hungry for more fresh out-of-the-garden produce. Out front I've got bay leaves, rosemary, basil -- a non-producing (except 2 or 3 a year) peach tree --- and my pride, my Meyer lemon tree. I have a bumper crop coming for winter. Passers-by have helped themselves to a number of perfectly ripe summertime lemons. I am now staring at a tree full of very green fruit. I'm sure those who took them will enjoy them. And that's okay with me.

Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  4:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Patsy, what a great greenhouse. Would love to have one, but the wind blows so hard it would be ruined as soon as I set it out.

Darlys, I want some. That banana bread smells heavenly. May have to go shopping, but they're so green these days, takes forever to rippen.

Well, the cat finally got hungry. She won't come in on her own, so I have to coax her out with her food dish. This is getting a little old. But, for the next week, she'll stay in the house and love me to pieces because I'm her savior.

Hot flashes. Yes, they are like the energizer bunny, they just keep coming and comin and coming... Mostly I get them in the middle of the night these days. Not really night sweats.

Haven't joined the sisterhood yet, maybe I should, but with my luck they'll be out of water bottles.

Still haven't gotten any sewing done. Maybe tomorrow. Have to go start dinner.

Have a great evening gals.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  5:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
LOL Judy: yes, it's right off the patio and we moved all that brick off the cement pad and now it's part of my greenhouse floor, which we covered with 4 rolls of spongy, shredded rubber matting, easy on my feet. tee hee that greenhouse is on sale now for 179.00. going to take my receipt back and get some money back. found out that if ya bring it back within 30 days, they will do that.
...umm,let us know what you think of that tea. :D

EDIT: I plan on taking the cover off for winter, will put it back on in March. DH put down 4x4 timbers with 3 long spikes per timber to anchor it to the ground. Then he used 3 inch screws in the frame to anchor it to the wood, plus it has a very sturdy heavy metal frame. The cover is one piece and has to slide down over the frame from the top, pretty neat.

SO, who else has a button box? I've had one over 45 years and decided I wanted to see them, so put them in 2 quart jars. I have wooden, metal, plastic ones saved over the years, starting from my childhood home. yes, I have buttons from robes I wore at home as a kid and from culottes I made in home ec. at school, amazing.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on Sep 14 2011 5:14:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  5:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi All, Not much into typing tonight, stuffy nose, sneezing and feel like poop...going back to bed, suppose to go to Columbia tomorrow to pick grill up and see my son before he leaves for MI Friday...got to feel better...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  6:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
More cat tails That stupid cat went back outside, once again under the deck. Guess she thinks the savior thing is getting old too! Well, this time she's going to have to come in on her own. Give me a dog anyday.

A.J.

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  7:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies,
Finally rain! Has not rained in my yard for months. I have been busy making aprons, pillowcase dresses and baked potato bags. 31 aprons made, 63 pillowcase dresses and 12 potato bags. Still have other things to make too. :/ Looking forward to the big festival this weekend. We have a 3 day festival next weekend in Jacksonville, Il and will take the motorhome and stay.

Betty- Enjoy your trip. Do you belong to OES as well? I have been a member for 34 years. Started out a Rainbow Girl. Good luck with your embroidery machine. My card reader has died so right now I am limited to designs I have on my card. :( replacement card reader is $300. I'll keep checking ebay.

Judy- I had to google Kombucha Scoby. Sounds interesting. I will definitely research it more. I had never heard of it.

Nancy- The napkin Christmas trees sound fun... were they made from more that one napkin. I am pretty green, so I always use cloth napkins.

Anne- Awesome that you found an iron bed for the chickens. I loved the article in MJF mag. Do post pictures soon.

Patsy- Love the "White House". I saw one made from old storm doors and windows once. One of these days I will build one. You don't really see many storm windows these days.

Penny- I hope you feel better soon. Yes, I ride my own bike. As much as we possibly can. :) I ride a Sportster. My son's girlfriend told me one day "Sometimes I forget you're a motorcycle ridin' grandma.. I mean with all the baking, and sewing you do, you almost seem text book and then you hop on a motorcycle". :)

Well, have a nice evening ladies. I enjoy all the chat!

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  8:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Gee Whiz, Anne ... you know you just l-o-v-e that kitty! :-) You are funny! Please join the sisterhood. We need you here. We love our laughs. Oh, boy. I can feel your frustration - sorry for laughing. (not really ... teehee) Here have some banana bread (oops! sorry PeggyAnn) Oh, and if the Farm is out of water bottles when you join --- you can jump in and grouse with the rest of us cranky "ladies." If you get a water bottle, on the other hand, you get to gloat. Hey, why not? Either way, you win. :-)

Penny - you buck up, girlfriend. (Me whispering .. "drugs") After all Nyquil, Dayquil, Advil, and others have "il" at the end of their names to remind us that we take these puppies 'cause we are "ill." Even if you only feel better for a day - that's what you need right now. You're gonna make it, hon, you're gonna make it.

Patsy - I have a huge button jar that has a cork top. It's only part full - I keep raiding it.

Hubby on way home. Took quiche out of oven. Must make salad. Made choc chip cookies yesterday so we've got a sweet for watching a bit of PBS Mystery Theatre or HGTV whichever looks the most promising.

Tomorrow, girlfriends - see you then.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  9:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Ooooooo Darlys, don't ya just love GoodEarth Original tea? So spicy, sweet, yummy!
Hey, maybe if I don't sign up to MJ's for awhile....then re-sign up, I'll get that water bottle that I sooooo deserve!!! lol...always thinking....ALWAYS thinking! teehee
Hey Patsy, do you still have the pink buttons, from your dusty-rose chenille robe that I always liked? hmmmmm?(soft) What about those blue with the rhinestone center-buttons from those horrible stiff, nylon,blue quilted robes we got that one Christmas.Those things were so hot and wouldn't soften up no matter how much they got washed. hahaha Mama & Daddy tried to give us pretty girly things though didn't they?I like that BIG button in your box. What's that from? Looks vintage! Oh...listen to me...WE'RE vintage at our age...hahahahaha Sooooo, where is your fire-pit now?'
awwwwww Penny....feel better Dearie! *hands you a cuppa hot-tottie and a BIG box of snot-rags* (Giggle)
AJ, 2 words girl...cat nip....always draws them to you....and plug up that hole under the deck!! This could go on forever!! lol
ooo-ooo I hear rain...nice and soft...great for sleeping. yeah!Patty, this must be the stuff you got earlier tonight. I wonder why you haven't gotten rain in so long? We have, and Ill. usually get it right before we do....hmmmmm.... That's cute, what the kids said about you riding a motorcycle...hahaha...love it! Wow! you've made lots of "pretties" Patty! I'm impressed! Um...what's the point of a potato-bag, if you please?/! Do the shorten the bake time or what?
Well, gonna hit the hay Gals!
Sleep tight everybody!Nite! zzzzzzzzzz......

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  07:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Judy- The baked potato bag is designed for the microwave. Yes, it does shorten time. But you put the potato in the bag, no piercing or poking at all. It is designed to retain just the right amount of moisture during baking. The potatoes turn out the most perfect baked potato.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Patty...adorable aprons, pillow case dresses, and potato bags. I have never used a potato bag but, I hear they work really well.

AJ...I am with you girl, I am more of a dog person. And I am allergic to cats. When ever I go around cats
they just seem to know that I'm the girl they want to rub up against or jump up in my lap...because they are going to make me sneeze my head off and my nose & eyes will start running down my face! I just think they want to make it happen...if you know what I mean. And I think cats odd... because they are fiercly independant and they go every where you don't want them to...up the curtains, on the counter tops, and the table, under the Porch (like yours), in the crawl spaces under the house, in the babies crib, hanging from the hanging bird cage with the bird in it's mouth and they bring you little surpises to step-on in the middle of the night when you get up to go to the bathroom, like dead mice, dead birds (need I list more) and they are always hacking up those nasty fur-balls! (Those are just my personal experiences with a couple of cats I owned before I found out I was allergic to them). And it is hard to tell your three year (many years ago) that His cat just ate his bird! So, I lied and told him...it flew out the window. (bad mommy...not good to lie!) Now I am sure there are Cat Lovers out there that will disagree with me...and that is OK...because somebody needs to love those little darlings...just not me. I think they are adorable as kittens...but I have never seen an adult one that I liked (or that liked me). They just take one look at me and say "Oooooowwww She's A Dog Lover", hiss, spit, scratch! You know I Mean???? LOL

Patsy...I don't have a button can but I have always had a button jar. Once I started crafting with buttons...I sorted them by color and now I have lots of smaller button jars...but they do look so
pretty in their little jars. If buttons could talk...Oh, the stories they could tell. Is that beautiful bauble you have in your button can a button or is it off of vintage jewelry? It is beautiful!!!

Judy...and yes, all of us now have "Vintage Buttons" because we are Vintage Babes! lol

Penny...hope you are feeling a little better today! ~ Hey, I just noticed that there are a lot of "P"'s in this group of Chronologically Gifted Girls: Patty, Patsy, Penny, PeggyAnn, Peggy I don't think in this day and age there are many girls names that start with a "P"...must have just been a Babyboomer thing!!!

Darlys...I had quiche for dinner last night too. It was good and I was good, I didn't eat the crust! (hard to watch it go in the trash can though!) Especially when we were raised to "clean up everything on our plates because the Children in Africa were starving!" (my mom's favorite line) lol

Well, I think my bed is calling me to come back and rest awhile. My dogs are back asleep...so, I'm going to go crawl back under the covers...quietly!

hugs and smiles,
peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  10:29:09 AM  Show Profile
Patty - I love the things you made! I lust after the first aporn - with the red gingham and apple on the gathered up pocket. And I've seen the potato bags before but wasn't sure how they functioned either. Tell me I can get my hands on that aporn and a potato bag. Please e-mail me with the price & I'll shoot you off a check for the aporn, a potato bag and shipping. I m-u-s-t have that aporn!

Penny, I hope you are making it through today and that the worst was over yesterday.

Judy - good advice to Anne about her problem with Miss Kitty. And, oh yes, Good Earth Original tea. It's so good.

Hi PeggyAnn! I'm gonna miss you when you're off galavantin' with girlfriends (other than us). With my sister and me - we had to "THINK - of - the - Poor - Starving - Children - in - Africa!", too. I just didn't know how my not cleaning my plate was going to do them any good. I thought we should mail them some food. But, when my mother lifted my plate off the table to find peas tucked all around under the rim - I remember - she couldn't help it - she laughed ... so did my dad. The first time ... not the second. What did you put in your quiche? I did crumbled bacon, sauted onion and green peppers, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, a cup of 1/2 & 1/2, and about a cup & a half or more of M.Jack and Cheddar Cheese, good dash of nutmeg & white pepper. Turned out really good. Hubby's not a "quiche" kinda guy - but he ate a big piece along with a BLT. Even said it was "good." (Gotta use all those fantastic tomatoes folks have been giving me.) I think I'm going to try making some homemade tomato soup tonight to finish off the quiche with.

Thanks, Holly, for the quiche idea. I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself. But couldn't get it out of my head when it was mentioned. I even had zuchinni - but it was getting soft and I figured it was past its prime. I'll toss that into soup or some such thing.

Gotta dash. Appointment at Kaiser at 11. Where did the morning go?

Love ya, gals!

Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Patty: never heard of a tatie bag til i saw yours. very interesting. love all the lil sundresses, so cute!

Penny: Chiming in with the rest of the gals hoping the worst is behind you now. :)

Judy: have robe buttons, but not with rhinestones in the center. that chenille was my all time favorite. cut it down to fit my girls and have a pic of one of them wearing it.
that original GoodEarth tea is still one of my fav teas.

PeggyAnn: called my mama to see if she could help me remember that ol' button, but no luck, so I have no idea where it came from, but it's heavy metal. thinking i should put my buttons in smaller jars, just to see them better.

all this fresh mountain air is exhilarating. helped hubby move 2 downed trees to the edge of the woods and put brush on the fire pit, stacked a bit of wood for campfires,took down over 25 sunflower heads and hung them to dry in hubby's shop. the squirrels and birds were starting to have a feast on them, they got about 5 heads. I don't mind sharing, but NOT till I'm ready to give it to them this winter. gathered some portulaca seed. looked like rain all day with a bit of sun now and then. was in the 70s, so a good day to get things done. have a great evening.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  4:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Good afternoon ladies. What a beautiful day here. Small weather system coming in. No rain, but temps in the low 80's for the next 4 days. Woohoo!

Patty, that apple apron is the die for, so was the one with the yellow ruffle. You have agreat imagination. Had wondered what a pillowcase dress was. How darling. How do you adjust the sizes. Would love to make some for my granddaughter, who's only 3.

Judy, I would love to plug up the area under ther deck. It's two different heights, the tallest of which one of the septic line cleanout is. So, I'm kinda stuck. Believe me, if I could I would.

I don't know why it is, that cats seem to know when people don't like them. My DH hates cats (understatement), and only agreed to this cat to humor me (I never owned a cat- won't ever again) and the help out my aunt who just could not bring herself to take it to the spca. So anyway, who's lap do you think she sleeps on? Or who's side of the bed does she sleep on at night? Like I said, give me a dog any day!

Great buttons Patsy. I inherited all my mil buttons. I am a beader by trade and use vintage ones for clasps. Often times I design my designs around them.

Penny, hope you are feeling better. Take it easy and you'll be feeling better in no time.

Went to visit my mom today, had baked several cassaroles that I wanted to drop off. She's 85 and is tired of cooking so I help wherever I can. We went out to lunch and grabed a quick bite. Was nice for both of us.

Have to go start dinner, a bean cassarole with corn muffins.

Have a great evening everyone. See you on the flip side.

A.J.

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  4:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I just found out I have to make a 76 mile drive one way tomorrow to pick up my hearing aid that was sent back to the factory. I was just there yesterday when hubby had to go to the doctor for his sleep apnea follow up. We've been in town all day today after digging up 9 dead trees, getting ready to plant new ones when it cools down so he could get his CPAP machine and learn how to use it when he sleeps. I twisted my ankle helping with the trees so at this point do you think I feel like that trip? Nope sure don't but have no choice as I won't have time next week and I do need it as soon as possible. I was trying to think of a way to make this trip a positive thing and realized I can go yarn shopping also. I want to get some baby yarn and also some more colors for my granny squares that I do. I can also go in for another lesson on my embroidery machine. Now How is that for positive? Still don't want to go though since I have to drive alone but oh! well! that's life sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  4:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I just found out I have to make a 76 mile drive one way tomorrow to pick up my hearing aid that was sent back to the factory. I was just there yesterday when hubby had to go to the doctor for his sleep apnea follow up. We've been in town all day today after digging up 9 dead trees, getting ready to plant new ones when it cools down so he could get his CPAP machine and learn how to use it when he sleeps. I twisted my ankle helping with the trees so at this point do you think I feel like that trip? Nope sure don't but have no choice as I won't have time next week and I do need it as soon as possible. I was trying to think of a way to make this trip a positive thing and realized I can go yarn shopping also. I want to get some baby yarn and also some more colors for my granny squares that I do. I can also go in for another lesson on my embroidery machine. Now How is that for positive? Still don't want to go though since I have to drive alone but oh! well! that's life sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, Gosh it has been downright cold here all day. But I am loving it.

Patsy- I have gallons of buttons! I started collecting them as a child. My granddaughters love them and after they have been here for a visit, I pick buttons up from the floor for a week. Funny thing though, one of my 25 year old twin boys asked me several years ago if he could have my buttons when I die...lol. I never expected that from one of my boys.

AJ and peggy Ann- I hated cats when I was younger. I was even known to go as far as saying that the only good cat was laying flat on the road. I can't imagine it now. I can't imagine I would have ever been like that because those creatures can grow on you. Some friends brought my deceased husband a kitten about 14 years ago that was orphaned when the mother was killed on the road. We named her Miss Priss and she quickly became a part of the family. We took her to be spayed at the local spay clinic and when we went to pick her up it was much cheaper than expected. They told us the neutered HIM. Now he is the meanest cat you ever saw, but it is no wonder, after all we named him Miss Priss, and now my granddaughters call him "Piss". They just can't pronounce Priss. But he has been a real joy through the years.

AJ- The dresses are simple to make. If you want I can message you some simple instructions. :) They are quick and can even be worn with long sleeve pullovers in the winter.

Betty- Enjoy your ride to town. I feel your pain. We are 40 miles from any good shopping. Not even a Home Depot or Lowe's within 40 miles. :/

Have a good evening. More aprons to get done for the fall festival. :)

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile
It will be a nice drive down and back tomorrow through the mountains and desert. I might drive through some rain. We did yesterday. Some of the area I drive through has flash floods so one has to be careful bu none of the storms coming in are bad ones so it should be fine. I might get to see a pretty rainbow. We get some lovely ones.

I sold my old refrigerator tonight (it was 5 years old)so not really old. It was like new, just not big enough for us with us doing a lot of cooking for the Masonic Lodge. My new one will hold several party trays but the old one wouldn't.

Tonight my hubby gets to sleep with his new CPAP machine. It will take some getting used to I'm sure. Good night everyone, Betty
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  05:35:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Friday morning.
I am spending the 4th day without telephone service from AT&T. After talking with them 4 days ago when they told me the phone service would be back on last night by 7:00 p.m. I found out that it was not. The last time this happened it took them 7 days to come out to fix it. When they came it took all of 15 minutes to change the card in the main phone box. Oh, the frustrations of modern life! Thank goodness I am not an avid telephone talker. I rarely even use my cell phone except when I am away from the house and only if I need to contact someone.

That is my "whine" for the day.

Patty, your aprons are so adorable. They are so unique and clever. I like all the different fabrics. I am so into fabrics. I could have a whole room of all kinds. And I can't have enough aprons. My husband loves seeing which one I am going to have on. Before I started wearing aprons I ruined more clothes than I would like to say. I always seem to get something on myself. I also have to wear an apron when I paint.

AJ,for the longest time I didn't have a cat. I love cats but the last one we had was an indoor cat that liked to be outside so one morning while it was still dark he went out and went up on the roof of the house. I think an owl got him because I heard this big "thump" and never saw the cat again. I have always had a dog or two since I was a child. I cannot imagine not having a dog. I have a cat now along with a dog and a bird. The cat has it'g own way just like yours. When we first got him he would hide and would not come out except to eat. Finally he got adjusted to the dog and is now bonded with her. The cat loves the dog better than my DH and me I think.

Patsy, I have so many buttons but not in a box. I have button jars. I try to use as many as I can with my dolls, on my ATC's and other art projects. My mother had a lot of buttons which I now have. You have some really pretty ones.

Penny, I hope you are feeling better today. Take good care of yourself and rest.

Peggy, I had to laugh about what you said about the "P" names. My daughter's girls all start with a "K" and when they were born about 20 years ago the big names were Katelyn, Kristen, Kirsten. Their names are Kristen, Kari, and Kelly. I was teaching school then and I remember all the 4th graders who were named Amy and the boys named Jason. When I went to school the most popular names were Susan, Eleanor, Judy, Jane, Peggy, Penny. I think I only knew one other Nancy all the way through high school. There I was, freckles: glasses, reddish straight hair in braids with a big smile. I was a tomboy and had lots of fun!

Darlys, Now I am going to absolutely make a quiche for dinner. My mouth is watering right now even thinking of it. I haven't had breakfast yet. I can't eat the crust either so I will let my husband have it. I do remember my mother saying, "The poor starving people in China would be happy to have that." I used to think, "What am I supposed to do? Send it to them in an envelope?" My mom was so cool. God bless her.

So maybe some rain this afternoon and for sure tomorrow according to the weatherman. I am out for my walk now and then on with my day. Might go over to the Flea Market today and then to finish my apron. I will post a picture of my gypsy doll tomorrow. I just have to put on her earrings. I will look into CJ's apron of the month club. It sounds very interesting.

Hugs galore,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughing is good exercise, its like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  09:43:23 AM  Show Profile
A quick "Maxine-ism" before I run to shop for my Mama! She's made pinto beans and cornbread and I'll take the buttermilk. YUMM!!!
Maxine: "Congratulations....you may already be a whiner!" (on a sticker on a piece of mail) Kinda goes with the "whining theme" we have going on here. lolol
Later Gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies - I am blessed everytime I go on-line to find you all here - I can't remember life without you all. Thank you, Lord! (... and thank you, Al Gore. Didn't he "invent" the internet? )

Hey Judy -- While I'm not crazy about all the Maxine humor - some is really funny. Now THAT bit on whining is a real Keeper! Thanks for the ho-ho-ho! We gifted grannies are all so good at expressing ourselves, no matter what frame of mind we might be in. That's what makes us all so fascinating. Go-granny-go-granny-go! Yea, Beach Boys!

Nancy, I am looking forward to seeing a picture of the Gypsy Doll. Like I said, I stalled when I couldn't find a bendy thing for the arm-bones. Which reminds me - I'll start surfing for something I can use right after I stop chatting.

Grandson, Ryan (the Beijing/Berkely boy) is coming tonight. He'll take Cal-Train here and we'll drive him back to Berkeley Sunday. Since he's a vegetarian, I have to decide what to do for dinner tonight & tomorrow. (B'fast & lunches are easy.) I feel a casserole coming on... And, since he will eat fish - if Whole Paycheck has some fresh Petrale sole, we all like that done up in a tempura crust. Since he will graduate this December, and his "home" is in Bend, Oregon - and since he plans of going back to Argentina for a year or so - I enjoy seeing him whenever he can get away.

This weekend he wants to spend baking with me. We are going to package up a box of homemade goodies and send them to a lady friend of his in Beijing. Did you know that they don't have ovens over there? Everything's done stovetop. Chunmei was delighted with the chocolate chip cookies I packed in Ryan's bag when he went over there this past summer. She's got a sweet tooth. (He was teaching English and doing some translation work for a "green" company.)

Yesterday - went to Kaiser for the routine mammo and another BP test. No surprises on the way to elevate the BP and I came in just where I usually am - high end of normal. Still no need for BP meds. Happy day!

Was at the chiro this morning - good visit. I need to be icing my lower back for 15 minutes - 3 times a day. My regular chiro had emergency surgery and won't be back for at least 6 weeks. Another doctor was filling in - I really like her (and she's "on-time") My neck has improved dramatically. Lower back (my fault) I keep doing stuff I probably shouldn't - including sitting up in bed, while I was feeling yukky, for hours on end, reading (The Help). Feel good right now though.

Maybe if I stopped eating the crust on quiche & such, too, I'd be a size 1.5 instead of a 2 ... :-) Chico's sizing, bless 'em. I did bake that heavenly quiche at 375 for longer than the recipe called for (35 min - I watched it and kept adding 5 min until it wound up being in the oven for 50 min) and it puffed up to beautifully, shiney and golden-brown. It was a picture. If I'd just kept looking at it instead of eating it - well, I could have probably saved myself a million calories.

Betty - you are probably on the road - or shopping right now. Hope you found some good stuff (besides the hearing aid) to make the drive more "fun-productive." Did you go thru rain? Any rainbows? And, btw, Did you sell your refrigerator to that nice lady that you chatted with and who was willing to pay your asking price?

Penny, how are you feeling today? I hope you managed to travel (comfortably) for the grill and the bittersweet goodbye.

Patty, I know I'll love that aporn, etc. I hope you have a super crowd, in a happy and buying mood, at the festival. It sounds like fun. Hope you'll give us all the details. I went to that pillowcase dress/jumper website and between that and your instructions, I think I can do it. Now, with Nevaeh being a couple of hours away I just have to find out how tall she is. I can guess (she's in 18 month clothes) but I don't want to make it too long. Gee, they are so cute!

Almost forgot, Nancy, we have AT&T, too. We are less than thrilled and when the contract is up - we will be taking a good look at our options.
I don't know if I have ever posted a few lines. Guess I'm just extroverted . Got to have the last slice of the quiche for lunch now. Toodle - oooooo

Edited by - darlystippie on Sep 16 2011 1:06:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page