Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  07:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Nancy, glad you got another monitor, I don't like using the laptop unless I have too...so what you making in the slow cooker...makes me think that's what I need to do today too..

For my Porchies, this is the part you need to skip..lol

I need to spill my heart abit this morning. My oldest brother died August 2010. And my sister and I tried to call all our extended family in Louisiana. Now mind you, my Momma's half sisters (3) were not a big part of our family, big age different between them and Momma. Anyway, we called everyone we had numbers for and called my Aunt Penny (Momma's older sister) but couldn't find #'s for the half sisters. I did find an email for one of them in my brother's computer in Nov. I wrote Pam which I knew...oh this sounds so confusing doesn't it....let me say this. when Momma died in Feb 06, and in Jun 06 my brother and I took a motorcycle trip to LA to see the family, Saw one of her half sister (Pam). So my brother had her number and email but I didn't...now back to the story. After finding her email I sent her an email to make sure she had heard about his death. Well she wrote me back last night and said her OTHER HALF SISTER didn't call and tell them...I really hated to tell her that way...for some reason I am so bothered by it. I had spoke to my Aunt Penny and asked her to call and tell them and she didn't (they aren't close either, another long story)....well not to long I guess...My Uncle by marriage(Aunt Penny's husband) his sister married my grandfather...which produced my 3 half aunts(Momma's half sisters)...

I just reread the above and am laughing at myself for how it sounds...Anyway, I had a restless night thinking about how I would feel finding out about one of my relatives death in an email. That is really all I wanted to say but guess I felt you needed the background info to understand...sometimes I really to talk to much...dang. Ok, just to warn everyone going to copy and post some of this in our 50's group so just skip over it if ya see it....I will check in later.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Mornin'

I've had my coffee and some breakfast too. I am watching my granddaughter McKenzie today. She had a very busy day yesterday seeing her cousins so I think she'll take good naps today to make up for that. :)

Nancy...wow you were up early!! Hopefully the new monitor will get hooked up today and make it easier on you.
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Penny..hey..don't worry about this new way to give bad news. Sometimes it's the only way one has to do it. Aren't families fun sometimes? Ohhhhh yeah.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Latest issue of MJF came today. Fat chance of me getting anything done now!

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  4:35:47 PM  Show Profile
All's well now that the monitor is hooked up and I am no longer on that laptop. I made a great chicken dinner tonight with carrots, celery, onions,along with rice, and spices. The house smelled so good. It reminded me of the times my family would go over to my grandmother's house when I was young. She had 7 children and they would all go there with there spouses and kids. I was the only girl with 6 boy cousins. The adults would all sit at this long table and we kids would sit at these card tables way down at the end. What was funny was after a while my grandmother would sometimes be so happy that all her children were there together she would start to cry. Then my uncles (her sons) would get all upset and get up and go hug her. And talk about noisy. Those adults all talking at once were so noisy we kids could hardly hear ourselves talk!

I had a wonderful day today just enjoying the beautiful weather here. The white clouds were lovely and the temperature was in the low 80's

Patsy, I never had any pigeons. I always wanted to have them. The only birds I have ever had are a cocatoo who was lots of fun and now I have a sweet peach faced love bird named Kapila. She likes to listen to opera and Hawaiian music. That is when she will chirp along. We used to play a lot of Hawaiian music and opera when she was a baby bird so she learned to like it. Now she is about 7 and whenever she hears it she starts chirping.

I talked to my daughter, Linda, today. She says things are much to quiet around her place now that her kids are back to college. They and their friends spent a lot of time at her house this summer since they are only 2 blocks from the beach. She is actually very busy with her business but she is just used to having those girls around. Her husband will be retiring in December so he will be helping her in the business more.

Patty, what color are you painting the shutters? I love shutters on a house. My last house had shutters and there was a shed out back painted the same color as the house with little windows that had shutters, too. I am making some aprons for Christmas gifts this year. I am trying to encourage my sister-in-laws and nieces to use them. They don't realize how practical they are and also how pretty.

I am going to go read for a while. Have 2 books I am reading at the same time so I have to choose which one I want to finish first.

Hugs to you all,

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301

Live everyday to the fullest

Nancy

Farmgir

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  6:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Hello All,

I finally have had a chance to sit and read all of your posts. Laughed and laughed.

We had corn on the cob, hamburgers and peach cobbler for supper tonight. It is the first corn we have had this season. I really like corn on the cob. Actually I like the melted butter with salt on the corn. and then to be a bad girl without manners I ru my finger all over the plate to lick up the extra at the end.

Today and the last three have been overcast. It rained for two of the days. My sister in Missouri said we should send some of our rain to Texas they could really use it.

The towns around us are still recovering from Irene. Waterbury which is only about 5 miles from here if you could go through the mountains is about 15 miles by car is advertising for people to come help clean up. On the day Irene hit he was on the radio and loud speaker telling people to evacuate and telling them to get themselves out because he was not going to risk the firefighters lives to save stupid people. I guess everyone got out. Vermonters can handle snow. We are good at snow. We arenot very good at lots of rain.

WE have guinea hens. They just came this year and are just maturing. When our rooster from our layinghen flock walks by the guineas pen the guineas set up quite the ruckus and go on and on.

I have not thought about having homing pigeons until reading about them. Are they hard to keep and train?

I am supposed to go to an adult Girl Scout camping event next weekend and teach how to make Shakere. Shakere are gourds with beads tied on them to use as a percussion instrument. Anyway I am supposed to teach this and I have not gotten together the demonstration model or prepped the gourds for the participants. I guess I had better drop procrastination as my middle name and get a move on.

Have a good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile
I just found this thready and I am definitely over 50 - 58 as a matter of fact - which makes me eligible for some senior citizen discounts. YAY!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  7:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, am I exhausted tonight. The shutters are all painted and put back up. Three sides of the house has been power washed. I'll save the back side for later. :) Nancy, I painted the shutters an oxford blue. It is a pretty dark blue, but not as dark as navy. The siding is white, and I loved the color... until I put it up to the freshly power washed bright white. It makes the blue look brighter. Hubby says it will be dusty in a couple of weeks and probably won't matter. lol I always wear an apron. I have pockets so can carry my cell phone, or pick up misplaced items until I get back into the room they belong. I am so use to mine now, I couldn't do with out it. Aprons may be old fashion, but they are always sensible.

Holly, pigeons are loads of fun. They don't eat much. I only feed them once a day, every evening. Fresh water a couple times a day. Homing is an instinct, so training is easy. I just let them out for a couple hours every afternoon and they go back into the coop to eat. After a couple weeks of just playing around the coop, I take them a mile or two from home and release them. I then just start releasing them a little farther each time. Friends stop to visit and are thrilled to take them home with them and release them for me. Today they brought home a friend (wild pigeon) with them. He didn't go into the coop, but he did hang around for a couple of hours. It was so much fun just watching them interact.

Well ladies, tomorrow is our second Farmgirl sisterhood chapter meeting. I am looking forward to it, but not exactly prepared as hostess...lol. We had so much fun our first meeting. I am sure this one will be great too!

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  04:37:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

I am up early today. In fact it is still dark outside. It is hard to get up when it is dark. The cat always wants out and keeps meowing. I don't want him out in the dark. Right now he went back to sleep so it is very quiet in the house. Even the bird has kept herself quiet.

Welcome KayB. Come join us here. We are a great group of ladies. And I say the more the merrier. We talk about just about everything so just join in and make yourself comfortable.

Patty, the shutter color, blue, against the white sounds really pretty. I love all shades of blue. Have a good time at your meeting tomorrow. I know it will be great fun. It is nice that you can all get together.

I am not going to be doing too much today. Yesterday I managed to finish painting my small flamingo statues a bright pink. They look really cute now. I finished reading one of my books. It is the Louis L'Amour one that I had started the other day. His books are such easy reading. I've enjoyed reading his work for a long time and I found a bunch of them at the nearby thrift store a few weeks ago. I grabbed them up right away when I discovered I had not read any of them. Now I just have to finish the other book and I can begin reading The Help which my sister-in-law gave me. I am anxious to get started on that book. I am not a big reader. I think it is because I had some reading problems as a kid. I was not taught phonics but learned to read by the "say and see" method.

The "say and see" method is where one learns to read by word patterns like "an." Then you add letters in front to make words like can, man, tan, fan, ban, etc. We used the Dick and Jane series of books. And had our spelling from the book. I actually learned my phonics when my daughter learned phonics when my daughter learned to read by that method. LOL. Before that I did not know any phonics rules only spelling rules.

Well, enough of that!

Have a great day everyone. I am going to sew to day and just have a nice time.

BIG Hugs,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  05:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patty, I used to raise homing pigeons as a teenager to train our hunting dogs. All you do is take one pigeon and twirl it above your head about three times, then tuck its little head under its wing, and place it wherever you're going to hide it. They go to sleep for about 20 minutes. Then train the bird dog to find the game. It's so cool that it works. When you flush them up, they fly home and are in their coop before you get back. They sure reproduce faster than rabbits though! I had a lot of fun with them and had several pen pals in other states too. Tina

Dogs never judge people, they only forgive!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies,
Another week almost over. I can't believe that it is Fri. Yipeee! The weekend.
The first part of the week we had rain (which we needed BAD!) and today there is not a cloud in the sky and it is the most beautiful blue.
I would ike to welcome Kay to the farm...Good to have you and also Tina.
I too am from Ohio/Dover and have lived in Ga 29 years.Still have family and friends in Ohio.
Well, I am off to do some errands. Our Senior Fitness class has a platoon that we have adopted and we collected foot care products to send to them. Our local VFW helps with the shipping. I got to get the box over to them and then the dreaded grocery shopping. (We are down to frozen peas and 1/2 cup milk at our house.)So I gotta go to the store... Wheres my coupons?
Post later, Have a good day

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Becky, thanks I've made peace with it now..because of you ladies here. You all help more than you know. Have fun with McKenzie

Patty, checked mail yesterday, didn't get mine yet...still looking for it...and I know what you mean, when it comes I don't do anything but read it. Glad to hear you got the shutters finished, I bet they look really nice against the white house. I love hearing about the pigeons.. How did the chapter meaning go? Bet it was loads of fun. Tell us all about it please.

Nancy, so glad you got the monitor hooked up...isn't it so much better than the laptop? I love the story about you Grandmother, that is so sweet. I reading "The Help" too....so far I like it a lot.

Holly, supper sounds wonderful...I made a peach cobbler Wed. too. I would like to see a pic of the Shakere, I don't think I have ever seen one before.

Kay, welcome, you will love it here. I've been here since July and feel so at home with these wonderful women. Jump right on it...you will feel like you have been here forever in no time.

Tina, that sounds like fun...DH use to train hunting dogs too...I think he use pheasants...

I guess I need to get busy doing something. Been hurting in my right side for the last 4 days...not sure what it is but bet it has to do with helping on the finishing the deck Sun. I used the nail gun and the hammer a lot. If it doesn't clear up by Monday may have to go to the DR which I hate doing. I really don't like spending money at the Dr. Sleeping was tough last night because I sleep on my side and it didn't matter which side I was on last night, it hurt. Oh well, part of getting old I guess.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Debra, guess we posted at the same time...lol...that seems to happen alot. Have fun shopping...:) That is a wonderful thing you are doing....bless you.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
My son David just called, he normally doesn't work on Friday afternoon, but got a call from his boss that said he needed him to take a tractor trailer to Charlotte tonight and ride back with another driver. This means he won't get home until 8am tomorrow. After sleeping he wouldn't be able to be here till tomorrow evening. Then he has a get together in Columbia Sunday for a farewell party at 6...so doesn't make since for him to drive over 2 hours here and back...But he did say we could come there and stay with him Sat. night and Sun and go with him to the party. I can't believe he can't come but I do understand. He was really feeling bad about it but I told him not too. Hopefully we will be able to make it there. It depends if we can find someone to come by and take care of the animals Sun.. We will see...I will NOT cry, I will NOT cry...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kay! We do have quite a fun bunch here. We get going on a topic and keep going until we are all either (a) experts - or (b) exhausted.

Well, ladies - I have a chiropractor appointment this morning. Guess I'll just not plan much else today. Although I do have to go grocery shopping and run a couple of errands. We head up to Oakhurst again tonight.

Yesterday was somewhat traumatic. I was on my way to the doctor (obgyn) and came upon an accident just seconds after it happened. A bicylist was lying crossways in the right lane with an SUV behind him. I had been traveling in the left lane so I didn't see the bicylist until I was actually past the SUV. Stopping wasn't an option but I got on the cell phone and called 911. Apparently, I was the first report and I was trying to circle around to get back to the scene while answering all the 911 questions. THEN I was transferred to another 911 dispatcher (for Cupertino, I understand - I must have been talking to either San Jose or Santa Clara County) where I got to go through it all again. I didn't have that much information - I just knew that an ambulance was needed - pronto. (Praying) It took me about 5 minutes to circle and when I got back I got stuck in traffic as three police cars and an amulance were arriving on the scene. I was glad they were there but then I was 15 minutes late for my appointment at Kaiser (still praying for that young man) --- they did get me in, understanding my difficulty --- but then, they took my BP and you can imagine how that registered! I won't bore you all with my "complaint" but I now am facing surgery (not urgent) a hysterectomy. Then, after I got that news, they took my BP again - to see if it had gone down! Ha! It had - by about 2 points. Now I have to go back Wednesday for a routine mammogram and - another BP checkup. I don't have a history of high blood pressure so I'm not too worried - but I do run the high side of normal.

Hey, it must run in the family --- I made Peach Cobbler a couple of nights ago, too. Holly, I think I've seen Shakere. I thought it was an art form. Didn't realize it was actually a percussion instrument. I, too, would love to see a photo if you get a chance to post one. I saw your gov giving that edict about not risking lives to save stupid people. It made national news.

Have another good cry, Penny - and then, hopefully, find someone to look after your animals. It sounds like his life is getting hectic and he is trying to fit everything in. You can be the grounding element giving your love and support. God never closes a door without opening a window. You are very sensitive and we love you. Now, I'm thinking, too, about your side pain. You may have pulled something and it is possible that icing it for about 10 minutes every couple of hours may help and a couple of ibuprofen to release that pain "grip" - it would also help get any swelling down. If you try that and there is no improvement you may want to go to the doctor for X-Rays to find out what happened.

Nancy, so glad that you have a new monitor. You sound much calmer. I have more to chat about but am going to have to wind it down for this morning.

PeggyAnn -- I am so sorry for your loss. I know your former MIL was ready to go but a loss is still a loss. And it sort of leaves a hole in the heart for a while.

All you with homing pigeon experience. I am so enjoying your chatter. I knew absolutely nothing about them before.

Well, time to pick up one of my coloring books and some crayons - and my Sudoku book - and head for the chiro. Oh, Joy.

Later, 'gator (that's a nod to you, Judy.)

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Wish I l9ived closer Penny. I would care for your animals. That is what we do around here as neighbors and friends. We take care of each others animals and water plants and such.

I like Louis L'Amour also. I have all of his original books. I haven't bought any of the new ones since he died and his daughter took over. I read all of them over and over. I especially like "The Haunted Mesa."

I think I've sold the refrigerator. I hope so anyway. I had two gals interested in it but one only wanted to pay me a smaller amount than I am asking and the other is willing to pay the full amount. I called the one and said I'd sold it and the other one can't come until next week since her husband is on his way home from TX and doesn't get paid until next week. I'll hold it for her since she's willing to pay me more. We got to talking about pot luck dinners at the church and I told her what I usually fix and she wants my recipes. I often fix beans, corn casserole, corn muffins, pig pickin' cake, deviled eggs and brownies depending on what the occasion is. We had a good chat about how long we've lived around here and how many children we have and our hobbies. We like to do the same things which always gives you something to talk about.

My daughter said they found a place to hold the bridal shower for my granddaughter. Their church fellowship hall is still under 12 inches of water so another church has agreed for them to use their hall which isn't in a basement. The shower is Saturday so it was cutting it close.

Thank goodness the power outage in S.CA didn't take in our area. I feel for all those millions that didn't have power last night. Driving home on the freeways was murder for them not to mention the homes being dark. Power should come back on sometime today.

I drove to Home Depot this morning at 7:30 to buy trees since six of ours have some kind of disease and are dieing. I went that early since our truck doesn't have A/C. I bought three Elderica Desert Pines and three AZ Cypress and as I was walking in there was a cactus with two huge red blossoms on it. It jumped out at me and said "buy me." I won't plant the trees until it cools down but I wasn't sure I'd find any if I waited. They are at the side of the garage where I can get water to them.

I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend. Let's pray that terrorists don't do something to celebrate 9/11. We have enough disasters as it is. Hugs to all.....
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  4:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I am going to have to start taking notes when I read this board. I think as I read that I should make a comment and then after I turn the page and get going I have forgotten what I wanted to say.

I think I am going to look in the catalogs next spring for the homing pigeons. They sound fun and not too labor intensive. I have thought before about training a herding dog or two but they require a lot of time each day and I do not have that to give.

I am working on figuring out an online storage for my pictures and then I will be able to post some. I know that I am to post pictures of our house/ barn and pictures of the shakere.

We had quiche for supper. I put steamed zucchini in one with sharp cheddar cheese. I should have put in more cheddar the quiche lacked flavor. I think the other one tasted quite good because the children ate it all up. I was told by one that zucchini is nasty and by my son who does not do vegetables that he hoped I was making a plain cheese one because he loves egg pie.

The day started out very overcast and dreary but each hour the sky brightened and by 2 it was a gorgeous blue with a light breeze. The sunset was quite pretty. Now the pines are all black and are silouetted against the pale blue of dusk and the lingering orange of the setting sun.

I hope you all have a great evening.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  7:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Darlys, what a day you had yesterday...amazing. I broke down a cried after DH came home. Doesn't look like I have to worry about having to find someone to watch the animals since DH made plans with his son in Atlanta to pick up cabinets. We need them. But I think we are going Sunday to spend some time with him before the party. I'm trying the things you said about side, not much better. But as I said if not better Mon. will go see the Dr. Thanks for helping me out. I hope everything goes well and FAST at the chiro office.

Betty, that is so sweet of you. It amazes me daily the kindness all of you have shown to me. Everyone has been so kind. I'm glad you got the fridge sold. Makes things so much better getting full asking price. Hoorah, that they have a place for the bridal shower. So when you planting the trees? How long will they be ok without planting them? I'm with you, I really hope it is a quiet 9/11.

Holly, I wish the coyotes weren't to bad here or I might think of homing pigeons. If you do get them I look forward to hearing the stories.. I love quiche...sounds really good to me what you had for supper. Were both of them zucchini quiche? Since the kids ate the other one all gone? lol. I love the way you described the day and the sunset, beautiful.

I'm off to do some reading, might check in later.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  7:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi porch-buds! I see you've been busy. Lots of food and lots of chatter.
I had a busy day today, shopping for Mama and taking it to her. I found fresh brown eggs at a farm just up the road from my house. That was a story....ok...everybody settle in...grab a beverage and some popcorn. lol
I pulled into the drive way and no cars were around, so I got out and walked up to the house. No curtains, no people, just the chickies strolling around. I noticed a huge, HUGE bone in the yard right by the sidewalk as I walked up. I thought, oh great, there's gonna be a huge dog around here somewhere. I noticed the storm door was a wooden one with the screen missing. Not a good sign.What was that horror movie about the BIG black dog...K- something??? Ya.....well...I started to sweat. Anyhoo, I wondered if a woman might answer the door and calm my silly fears. So I stepped up on the porch and noticed how empty the place looked. But I rapped on the screenless wooden door, lightly at first, I'll rap harder in a sec. NOT!!! This HUGE Killer-dog jumped at the glass in that door(it was one of those wooden doors that was half glass at the top)slathering and snapping and pawing that glass with all he had. He had a bark that would stand the hair up on the back of your neck and it did too! I thought that glass was going to break and that I was a gonner!I prayed really hard, Please Lord, protect me and keep that dog on that side of the door!When I jumped back something caught my eye. It was a sign on a nice, big double-wide stainless steele fridge....on the porch. It said,"fresh eggs-$2.00 doz. serve yourself." OK....wish I'd seen that earlier. So I opened the right door....FULL of beer.WOW! a drunks dream,free-for-all!
Then I opened the left door and there was about 40 cartons of eggs. So I started to fill my canvas bag, the beast jumping at the window in the door the whole time. I shoved my money in the paper cup and was going to leave a note about the beast scaring the beejeebers outta me, but then that's what he's there for, I'm sure. I thought about "eggs'n beer", but then thought better of it. Who knows, it may have been good! I walk out to my car and do you know that Monster-dog ran to the side window and was still warning me to "Git!" Then I heard a quiet little"bwaaaaak" and I leaned around the trunk and there staring up at me was a "Little-Red-Hen." So I bwaaaaked back at her and said, "Hi there. At least you're friendly." That only made Killer madder and he snarled at me again. The hen sauntered off, I jumped in the car, heaved a sigh of relief but was still picturing that dog crashing thru my car window.*shivers*
That was an experience I don't want to go thru ever again!
hmmmmm....I'll be back there again when I run outta eggs, or when Mom does! *giggle*
Man, they had dozens of hens. No wonder they had so many eggs. They just stroll all over the farm. Gotta love that! Of course, probably nobody ever comes back! ........ nawwwwww.....why wouldn't they? LOL
.....ummmm....I really don't remember anything about the rest of my day....uneventful I guess.....

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile
It was cloudy all day here today with rain north and east of us. All we got was clouds and wind but it was cooler and quite pleasant with the change in weather. I was hoping for a rainbow but the sun didn't come out at all. We get some gorgeous rainbows here in the desert.

The trees will be held over at the side of the garage until it cools down, probably in October sometime. They get afternoon shade where they are and close to water. In fact I have a native CA rose in a 5 gal. pot that has been there all summer. I bought it at a plant sale put on by one of the desert garden clubs and when I got it there was no way I could plant it in all the heat. It's doing well where it is and I'll plant it in the fall also. It's about four feet tall now and when it bloomed it had single pink blossoms on it about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Yes, I'm glad the fridge sold. It and the stove I sold a week or so ago paid for my new embroidery machine. I've been practicing making a label to go on my granddaughters quilt. I've done a couple that look good and this way I can become familiar with the machine since I've never had one before.

Our coyotes her don't come in the yard and mess with my birds or chickens. They don't bother any of the horses around here either. I haven't seen any bobcats this year but last year there were two and they didn't both anything either. Maybe there is enough wild game like rabbits and ground squirrels for them. I often see the coyotes at the side of the dirt road and they'll stand and watch you drive by. I've even stopped and watched them while they're watching me. They look like a regular dog. Ours aren't skinny looking or shabby. There coats look good so they must be healthy.

My granddaughter is back finishing her AIT with the army. The doctor released her to go back with the unit. Her stress fractures are healed and she finished physical therapy just fine. She should find out where her next duty station is in a week or so as she only has two weeks left of training.

We have 40% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow and Sunday. I hope so as the rain would be nice. We go to a meeting in Tehachapi at the Masonic Lodge there tomorrow. It's about an hour and a half drive and it's in the mountains. While my hubby is in the meeting I'm going to check out their quilt shop. I can always kill a couple of hours there and there are some antique shops too. What fun.....
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  06:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my goodness Judy, that would have scared me to death.. glad you are ok...be careful if you do go back...maybe take someone with you as a look out..lol.

Betty, Our coyotes get really too close to the house sometimes. I worry about the little dogs and the cat. I'm glad yours don't bother your animals. I am glad your granddaughter has healed. I pray she stays state side as her next duty station. But where ever she goes I know God will be with her. Have fun at the quilt shop..wish we had one close.

I'm hoping to go to my Momma/brother's house to get all of her fabric. My brother lived in Momma's house after she died in 06 and he died last year so it is empty, my sister and brother live close and go by to check on things every couple days. My Momma was a fabric collector..lol...so I should have more than I can ever want. My Sister has already given 4 large garbage bags to a charity and she said she hasn't even scratched the surface. I am going to have fun going through everything. Momma had most of it wrap in clear bags so she could see what she had with out it getting dirty. I have her Phaff sewing machine and Sissy(Melanie) got the Elna. I am getting the serger from my sister that was her's too. Sissy doesn't have alot of time to sew with 3 kids, DH and a full time job. So she is happy to give it to me. Well off to ice my side some more. I will check in again later. Hope everyone has a great day.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning GF's

It's a beautiful cool morning here...so nice too! Our high will be "81". So thrilled we are finally cooling down. I am watching McKenzie for the next 3 days so that will keep me on my toes!! Today she is learning how to turn a cap on and off.

No fun plans have been made yet with our friends who are visiting us. Last night we went out to our favorite place for dinner.

Hey Penny..my mom was also a huge fabric collector/sewer. My little sister took most of her things when she died years ago. Now she has a room like mom's. I sew a bit....nothing to write about though. I hope you get your side looked at on Monday. Sounds like you pulled something there that wants attention. I also hate going to the doctor for things like that. Hope you have a good time visiting your son.

Darlys..That must have been nerve wracking coming upon that accident. I had to have a hysterectomy in 96 and while it wasn't a picnic it was wonderful after I recovered!!! No more trips with my period. Hope you got out of the chiro faster then last time.

Judy...OMG another funny story to read. You are braver then me. Geezzz that dog was unreal.

Anyway...have a great day.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  09:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi again. The farmhouse is right on the main road,Rt.44-Ravenna Ave, cars zooming by constantly, so it's not like it's in the middle of nowhere. I'm surprised "The Girls" don't get run over. Chicky's really are smart, more-so than those stupid opossum.The chickys are actually taunting the poss's from across the street saying,"nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah, come and get my eggs if yer so smart".....~thump-thump~.....Not!! And that BONE, had to be a cow thigh bone...HUGE!!! lol
Penny, I had to laugh at your..."maybe take someone with you" comment. The only thing they would have been good for is (bait), kind of like in the Gator story...push them out in front and run like crazy! hahahaha
Maybe there's someone there on weekends. Like I said, no curtains, no cars...but GOBS of beer! I'm wondering if this is a 2nd home and they use it just for the animals, because they live in the city and can't have animals there. They have huge hogs too. And the killer-dog is just to make sure nobody breaks in! Still doesn't explain all that beer! lol That place sat empty for a couple of years. They may have bought it cheap. Hey, maybe it's a MJFarmgirl! Wouldn't that be cool! hahaha Just wishful thinking!
Well, we are on about our 5th cloudy day. May have storms later. I need to run the sweeper before that happens. We are still in the 60's and 70's.I need to pick some more basil and make(something) out of it. I love the smell of basil.
Make it a great day Gals!
Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Sep 10 2011 09:30:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Well, we're back home. We left at 7 this morning and got there a little before 9. It was lovely and cloudy and so cool. I dropped hubby off at the Masonic Lodge and drove back into town (14,000 people) and got a sausage bicuit for breakfast and looked for the quilt shop. It wasn't hard to find. The GPS took me right to it but it didn't know they were having a festival and the main road was blocked. I found a parking place on a side street and sat in the car until it opened at 100. What a lovely store and the owner is so friendly. (we have 3 here in town but I only shop in two of them because the other people are so stuffy.) I looked around and admired the quilts she had made. they were lovely. I ended up buying seven pieces of fabric in yellows and greens for my other granddaughters quilt. I'm going to use the same log cabin pattern but arrange them differently. I also bought the backing fabric so I can wash them all together and after I'm finished with my top I'm going to take it back to her for quilting. She doesn't charge as much as they do here and she does a good job. I can take it to her on one of our trips to the valley as we go through there a lot. It's a lovely drive anyway. We then came home and stopped in Ridgecrest as today was the day of the "1000 flags" placed in the city park to honor our military and 9/11. The was a fund raiser and we had bought tickets so we went to the senior center and got our dinner. It was tritip, potato salad and beans with a roll and lemonade. I bought some iris from the cheerleaders selling them for a fundraiser (as If I needed them, having about 100 in my iris garden)and some wildflower seeds being sold by our local museum. So now we're home and pooped so it's time to take it easy until it's time to feed the chickens and gather eggs and start supper. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  04:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning.
An unforgetable day today. I still remember so clearly in my mind watching that TV scene of that airplane going into that building. A sight I will never forget. My prayers continue for the families of those who lost loved ones that day as well as all who had to endure that horrific event.

Judy, your experience with that huge dog at the egg farm reminded me of the days when I delivered mail in Cypress, CA. I was the second woman mail carrier in CA. Many a time I had to face dogs. I rode a bicycle at first and delivered mail to some chicken farms as Cypress was kind of rural at that time. It was a small town near Anaheim next to Disneyland. Once, there was a pond in this neighborhood I was delivering in that had poliwogs. Later they became little frogs which were all over the place and I was walking through them to put the mail in the boxes. EEEW! The funniest was the day I delivered the freshly killed geese which were tied by the feet. When I got to the house to deliver the birds, man was that lady surprised!
I was only 22 years old when I got that job. I was on Art Linkletter's TV show with another woman. We were there because we had "unusual jobs for women." She was a lady who milked cows for a living.

Betty, sounds like you had a really nice time at the quilt shop shopping for fabric. I love fabrics so much. I could stay in a shop for hours I think. Sounds like a good dinner,too.

Holly, I am like you. I have to take notes to keep up with what everyone is saying. I have been going up and down to see what has been said. So now I am writing little notes.

I am still working on the gypsy doll that I started two weeks ago. I wanted to finish it yesterday so I worked on it almost three hours making the clothes. My mind isn't slow but I my hands must have gotten slower as I got older because it seems things take a lot longer than they used to. LOL She still needs more work until she is finished. I will post a picture of her when she is done.

Have a great day ladies. I am going to make a meat loaf for dinner this morning while it is still cool. Yesterday started out so nice and cool and ended up in the high 80's. Low humidity though which was good. We had absolutely beautiful clouds. I love the clouds here.

Many hugs to you all,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page