Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  12:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Please girls tell me what you think. I'm over 50 and have two boys in high school and a girl in college. DH is the homemaker and I'm working. I can't live without haveing something growing. I have had an idea for the winter and need to have someone tell me if they think it will work or if I'm nuts. One of the garbage companies in Illinois has these huge green bags that you can buy and when you have loaded your construction waste in it they will pick it up and that is included in the fee of the bag. I want one of these bags to be my garden bed in my basement. I will fill fabric grocery bags with dirt and make rows of them in the large bag. Each bag can have a plant in it growing something like tomatoes or peppers and maybe two or three letuce in one bag. I can grow my veggies all winter if I add some extra lights over the growing area. Does this sound like it will work? When I water the grocery bags will seep out an extra water but the bog garbage bag will keep it from getting all over. Please let me know what you think as I do not want to hgo nuts this winter and my garden seems to keep me sane.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  5:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I am not sure if that will work or not, but go for it!!! I love to experiment too, but do not have
a place to winter a garden. I did take in all my herbs last winter, they lived, but were very scrawny all winter and perked back up in the spring when it got more sunlight. I will do that again this winter.
I worked today, and will be tomorrow and all next week. My son is on vacation so I am working for him. He is camping. Hopefully the 40s won't be too bad for him at night. He hopefully will be able to go fishing.
Marianne, Hope your visit with MIL there will be a pleasant one. My thoughts are with you.
Dianne, nice that you do not have to go back to work until Monday. Savor the weekend!!!! Glad your AC is up and running. Have fun learning to spin. I have a wheel and need to take one full day to play. I just can't get the hang of it, or the drop spindle either. Some day I will.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  6:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Great news! My older brother received a new kidney two weeks ago. He had a transplant twenty years ago and it failed eighteen months ago. He has been on dialysis three times a week since then. He has not had a good time of it. Now he will regain his energy and hopefully feel a lot better and be able to get back to his old sarcastic energetic self.

We have a turkey pen with netting over the top. The guineas somehow find their way into the pen. Not all of the guineas just enough to cause a ruckus. Tonight Mrs Guinea and one baby were stuck in side walking back and forth calling to Mr Guinea and the other babies on the out side of the pen. I went out with Taliesin to help her find her way out. She would not go towards the house because he was going towards the road. The turkey pen has a lot of burdock in it with the burrs sticking out all over the plant. I ended up with eight teased into my hair. I finally cornered Mrs. Guinea and put her out pen. She flew to the others with a loud squawk. then I cornered the baby and put it out with the others. All told Talie and I were out there about thirty minutes chasing there birds with brains the size of peas back and forth in the pen through the burdock.

Wooly bears are caterpillars that are very fuzzy and usually have three stripes. Two black one on either end and a reddish one in the middle. The saying goes that you can predict the length of the winter by how wide the reddish stripe is. Well, This fall I have seen several with only one dark stripe and one reddish stripe.

I am going to spend time reading and catching up when it is not so late.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  6:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I wanted to take a moment to jump on to thank you for the lovely birthday card and gifts. I appreciate everything so much. I hope you are recovering nicely and staying as pain free as possible.

Jim is slowly improving...DH...he can put a slight bit of weight on his leg, but is still using the walker and will probably be using that for several weeks. He is back to feeding his own cows and doing too much in the process. But I can't stop him and fussing would do absolutely no good so I just watch him. Thank you all for your concern.

I am at work right now and I need to go make my rounds and check my residents.

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  8:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Marylyn, I knew your DH wouldn't stay off that leg for long.

Judy, I think your bagged garden sounds like it would work. I have seen veggies planted in bags in my gardeners supply catalog. I say go for it! What's the worst that can happen?

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  8:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Holly,wonderful news about your brother. I hope he is on the mend soon. I have a very good friend that just had a transplant a few months ago and she is finally getting back to feeling good. What a blessing!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  05:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Holly, So happy that you had such great news about your brother. And thanks for the laugh over the guinea chase!! I especially like the line about "brains the size of peas." Sometimes I think if someone was looking on at my dealings with our animals... I would look like the lesser species. Your line made me wonder what size my brain would be catagorized as! We had the same separation thing happen with our two horses last night. We had them in two connected paddocks and were giving them a treat of cabbage and sweet corn when the Palomino noticed my dh opening the gate to let them out to the big acreage. He took off buck-farting towards the gate. The Bay mare noticed and took off as the bird flies to catch up to him. Well a bird doesn't have to think about gates and although she was closer to her mate, she was separated by a five strand fence. So, dh had to walk along the fence line to show her the gate -- duh. She took off buck-farting and when she caught up with the palomino, we could her screaming at him. Something along the lines of, "How could you leave me like that?"

MIL is here. She is on a diet -- which she "isn't" talking about. Nonstop. She is very self-centered, which has gotten tremendously worse with age, and no matter what the subject, she has a story that she feels is relevant. She is very careful about her looks - will not be seen without makeup and her hair done ( what can only be referred to as a boof-a-do hairstyle). Dd and her boyfriend got home last night a bit after eleven p.m. "Grandma" came out of her room completely remade-up and re-perfumed about twenty minutes after they got here. She often lectures me on how my dh is out in the working world with a lot of nice looking women who take care of themselves ... so I should get up everyday and apply full makeup, etc. (YEAH! I'll get right on it.) I mean, I hope I don't look too slovenly, but sunscreen, mascara and lipgloss is enough for around the house. I don't go into town without pulling myself together a bit more ... And she hasn't even started on the house. It goes something like this. "Oh, Marianne, you work too hard on the house. It is supposed to look lived in! ... Do you see the dust on the bottom rung of that chair, dear?!"j

Oh, I can hardly wait for the day to begin.

Marylyn, It sounds like dh is doing pretty well! How are you holding up?

Dianne, woo-hoo! An extra day off. Good luck on Monday getting back into the groove. It must be difficult with the heat.

Bunny, what is your countdown to school starting?

Kathy, keep up with your drugs! So nice that you took the time and effort to say hello.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Morning

DH had to work today so plans are all messed up. Oh well that is life. My 2 DD's and I are headed to the Boise (the big city). Since all the guys are working we thought we would get some things don. None of the guys like to go and do the shopping thing. LOL

Linda you should check the store out. They may have someone who can teach you to spin. Also they may have someone who can show you how to care for the wheel. They need care even is you do not use them to spin.

Judy my only concern with the idea is that some construction waste is toxic. You wont know for sure what is in the green bag. You will also need grow lights for prolonged growing.

Janet have you taken lessons? The lady that is helping me tells me to slow down. LOL Me do something slow. HA! ADHD here everything in high gear till I crash!
Any way she said if you work at it slowly till you get the hang of drafting then you can speed up.

Holly that is good news. My GF's DH is in the proccess of a kidney transplant. There are a lot of things that have to be done before he can even talk to a Dr. about a transplant.

Marylyn glad Jim is better. Just like a man to not take the time to really heal. My DH is the same way. He needs surgery but wont take the time. I would probably have to tye him to the bed!

Marianne and Holly thanks for the animal stories. I can so relate.

Marianne I will pray for you while your MIL is there. I am with you on the sunscreen and lip gloss. The chickens and horses do not care about how I look. Besides as hot as it has been I would have mascara melting into my eyes !

Kathy take care of yourself.

Hope all of you have a great day.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  08:32:09 AM  Show Profile
Good morning!
Got up early and headed to the farmers market!
Always love going there, probably only a few more Sat left before it shuts down for winter months : (

Marianne- sorry about that! I have a mom with mental issues, narcissism . It's very difficult to be around. Thoughts and prayers to you!
Holly- great news about your brother. Hope he continues doing well!
Marilyn-hope hubby continues to be on the mend!
Kathy- keep taking care!!
Dianne-hope you had fun on your shopping trip!
Judy- I hope your indoor garden works out for you!
Bunny- I still plan on doing an order! Had an unexpected expense so I will need to wait a tad more : (

Hope everyone is having a good morning!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  05:55:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I am back late last night from my trip to Boston and the Fairhaven, MA near the Cape Cod area. I really had a wonderful trip there and I ate lots of fish and sea food along with some tasty Rum Raisen Ice Cream. I went to a country fair along with visiting a lot of places my DH went to as a kid. It was fun watching him re-visit the old places especially the park across from his house in Fairhaven. We met lots of interesting and fun people, too.

Kathy, I hope you are doing well from your surgery and that you are resting. I am thinking about you and praying that all will be well with you.

Marilyn I know what you mean when you say you cannot stop the DH from doing what he decides to do. I have the same thing with my DH. It seems once they start to feel a little better they have to get up and do things. Hey, when I am recovering from something I just relax, sit back, and let someone wait on me. I play it for all it is worth.

Holly what good news about your brother. I have not kept up with the postings for the past week so I will have to go back and read about the guineas.

Marianne I have been very lucky to have had MILs who were either too far away or wonderful. I do have a mean spirited DIL though. I don't know why she harbors so much annimosity toward me. She thinks I didn't raise my son very well. She blames me for his unhappiness with himself. Many of us have things we didn't like about our childhood....so.. I say, " Get over it and forgive your parents." They did the best they could under the circumstances of the time.

Welcome, Starr. Glad to have you here. What a beautiful name you have.

Connie Sue the crocheted shawl is so beautiful. Good luck at the fair. I was able to go to a fair when I was in MA. and saw some lovely things. Your work is so pretty.

Bunny I like your straw bale garden.

Nancy welcome. Nice to have you with us.

I am doing laundry today and catching up on all my emails and the posts here for the last few days. You ladies are so great and I just love you all.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  06:13:55 AM  Show Profile
just had to jump on for a second till my finger gets tired.

judy - just had to tell you about my bil basement. he used every spare space, used lots of grow lights. he was very successful. of course he was growing pot back in the 70s!!!

got to go lay down. lot of pain still.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

LNaturals
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laurie
Fridley Minnesota
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  09:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
Gosh I have been so busy I haven't had the chance to get on here. Welcome to more newbies, welcome! Thank you to everyone for the cards & gifts for my b-day. What a surprise!!

Marylyn, I don't have your b-day date written down, I am sorry so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Glad your hubby is doing better!

Connie Sue, your shawl & sweater are beautiful! Let us know on the fair.

Kathy, glad your surgery is over & that you are on the mend. My thoughts are with you! I broke my hand in Jan. Dominate hand of course, got pretty good with my other hand tho. Thank you for the card, & gifts!!

Nancy, sounds like you had fun!

Marianne, oh my, my thoughts go out to you! I had one of "those"!! Hang in there, you can tell us all about it here, if you need too!! :)

Holly, glad to here everything is going good so far with your brother! I am planning on a few of the projects from the book you sent me. THANK YOU!!

I'm working this weekend, then have 2 days off, yeah! Planning for the Glamping weekend with the River Falls Farmgirls. I am sooo looking forward to this!!
Well gatta get ready for work, but glad I got the chance to at least get caught up with how everyone is. Thoughts are with you all.

Laurie Jean #4200

"I can't clean because... I get distracted by all the cool stuff I find"
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I can't address everyone tonight, but know that you are all in my thoughts.
Holly, such great news about your brother. Prayers for a quick recovery.
Nancy, welcome back. You have been missed. Hope you had an enjoyable time.
I just got back from visiting my son where he is camping, he invited us out there for steak dinner. It was so good, and I did not have to cook!!!! He is on vacation this week and I am working for him. I am not used to working that much anymore, but I know it will go by fast, so hopefully it won't be too bad. The hardest part is, DH does not cook, so when I get home at 5, then I have to make supper. We usually eat at 5. Oh well, I will survive.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  5:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Those fall feeling nights have arrived here in the northeast. Hot flashes are quickly cooled in this night air. Although I must say in the last year the night sweats have eased considerably. They seem to happen now only when my sleep or waking is in transition. So, it seems that I am not being woken many times a night anymore. I am so much more rested.

Bunny you are a fabulous hider of sewing errors. I think if you strut proudly in your creations then people are less likely to notice any oopses. But,you do have a gifted eye for pattern and color.

Judy, I have seen in magazines where people take the bags of soil and lay them down and make slits in them and plant right in the bag. I think if you put your grow lights on a timer then your plants should grow fine. I learned in the last year or so that there are seeds that grow well when the days are getting longer and other seeds that grow when the days are getting shorter.

Oh, Marianne. I think your garden needs a lot of tending this week. I think your mil should stay in the house because the sun could melt her base. When I was a child my father's mother used to come visit from West Virginia every year for a week or ten days. I guess my parents paid for her to come up. Anyway the last time she came to visit it was the last time she came because she left the day before my brother's graduation from ninth grade and he wanted her to be there. She also told my mother that if she had nice white floors like these she would keep them clean. Like in the summer living with a pond in the back yard and having four children and their friends running in and out it was possible. But, the floors were clean. Anyway and my mother made lamb for supper one night and my grandmother said, In West Virginia we feed lamb to the dogs. Well, I guess my father loved my mother enough that he would not torture her with his mother anymore.
I hope your daughter's job is all she wants it to be.
Maybe since you are soooo much younger than i am ROFL it is perimenopausal hormone swings that are making this visit from your mil so much harder. Then again maybe it is that here complaints are so trivial when compared to the stress of worrying about your dd and her job situation. Kind thoughts are flying your way against the jet stream from this end of the country.

Yesterday morning I heard the guineas squawking out in the field far from the fenced area. I was worried that Mr and Mrs Guinea had taken the babies on a long jaunt and some of them would not come back. They are back and inside the turkey pen again. I do not know how they get in but do not seem to be upset about it at all unless some are in and some are out.

I finally fixed the chainsaw today so I can get in the wood for the winter. Actually I already have in 3/4 of the wood for the winter but I like to be a year ahead so that is what I am working on. The guys who have the hunting camp on the backside of the property were supposed to cut the wood that I have down in one of the fields but the job has not been completed and I do not want to end up splitting and stacking in the snow so I am doing it myself. Well, the children will help carry and split and stack. I am glad I have the tractor to lift the logs off the ground so I can block them up.

Nancy I am glad you had a good visit to your dh's home state and town. It is a pretty area of the state.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

Trip to the big city was smokey! Fun with my DDs but it looked more like LA than Boise. Please keep praying for rain to put out the fires. We got a little. Bearly enough to wet the ground.

Nancy glad you had a good time. I love sea food. It is the best when you can get it fresh when your on the coast.

Nancy I agree with you. Parents do the best they can at the time and they are not perfect. When you become an adult it in no longer your parents fault. It is your choice.

Kathy praying for a speedy recovery. We miss hearing from you.

Off to wrok today. Mostly meetings. The kids wont come in till Wednesday for Freshamn and Thursday for the rest of them.

Have a great Monday

Dianne (ID)

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  08:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all, at least it's morning here. Had a flu bug the last two days. I still managed the sewing room in the mornings but a fever hit each afternoon and I had to quit.
Speaking of mil's and mothers, my mother of course decided because I was sick, she was too. It was just an excuse to stay home from church and in bed all day. Not unusual for her anyway. She always seems to have some illness on Sundays to keep her home.
She tried to get me to make this chicken recipe I do with white wine. But the last few times I did it, she drank the leftover wine. She had a terrible drinking problem when I was a kid so I stopped making the recipe. So when she asked me to make it again, I told her I didn't want to because there is always so much wine left over. She said that that was ok she would just drink it. I told here that was against her church rules, (she is LDS) and I didn't want to contribute to her doing that. Thankfully that stopped the conversation.

Had my phone interview for a job I have been wanting for about 3 years with a company called Accuquilt. I applied over a year and a half ago and out of the blue I get an email wanting to set up a phone interview. I just hope my school schedule doesn't get in the way. It would be a perfect job for me doing something I actually love to do.

Well, off to the sewing room again today. I volunteered to make 2 crib quilts for a women's rescue in Detroit and have to get them done before school starts the end of Sept.

Later all. Stay healthy, mend up and stay cool!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  5:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Dianne, hope your first day back was a good one. Hard to believe that school is starting in some areas already. Summer was hot, but it flew by.
Bunny, sorry you had a bug. Continue to get better. It has to be hard to have mom do everything you do. It would be nice if you got funding for your own place. I was reading a Mother Earth News the other day and I was thinking of you when I saw an ad for small portable homes. I am sure some day your dreams will come true for you.
It got down to 39 degrees this morning, but warmed up nicely to 75. We gotr just a small rain showr again, never enough to amount to anything. I am giving up on my garden, looks like the cold is hitting it and everything seems to be turning yellow. Autumn is in the air.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  5:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Ross and I puttered around today. Not getting much done but having a good time playing in the sand. It is his favorite place right now the sand pile. I bought in a load of sand at the beginning of the summer to put into the cows stalls to raise the floor level. We have put in some and need to finish the rest in the meantime it is a good place to dig holes.

Jarrett and Kethry are sick. Jarrett is probably cold and allergies and Kethry just cold. It seems like Jarrett is dying. He gets sick so infrequently that when he does it is the end of the world. However they are not too sick to go the movies with some friends. It is so nice that one of them can drive the two of them.

I always think Idaho is the same latitude as we are so you should have the same weather we do. I guess it is not true because we rarely need to use the AC. although this summer was the exception. I hope the rain comes soon. We do get the fall out from the nasty weather and air pollution from the west. the state of Vermont was thinking of joining in a law suit a while back to force the mid western states to clean up their pollution causing industries so we would have less acid rains killing off our lakes. I do not know what happened with that.

Jan it is too bad your dh does not cook to give you a break. I hope you are having a fun time in the shop.

Bunny I bet it is reallly wearing to live with someone who does not feel good about herself at all. and I have no suggestions on how to help her feel good enough to want to be self reliant.

Marianne sending strong thoughts your way.

Laurie I am glad the book had some good projects you have not done before.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  06:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

I have missed visitng with you. Thank you for sharing some equally horrible MIL/ family member stories with me. Misery loves company! And thanks for all the strength and encouragement. Of course, it hasn't been too bad ...

We are having some rain this morning and hoping it is hitting the fires west of us and maybe even the horrible fires down by Dianne. BTW, Dianne, good luck getting back in the school groove. Luckily, things kinda start a bit slowly don't they?

Had a great visit with dd and boyfriend. He has worked second shift for years and I think is "naturally" more of an owl than a lark. So he slept in on Sunday. No big deal, we were just lounging around visiting. When he came into the house (they stay in the guest house) before lunch, MIL made a big show of looking startled and singing out "GOOOOOD AFTERNOOOON!" Which it wasn't. Why make someone have to defend themselves like that? He was so embarassed. And he hadn't put anyone out, we just naturally get up VERY early.

My dd excused herself from the lunch table and went out to the guest house to use the bathroom. My husband wondered aloud why she didn't just use the bath room in the house. MIL announced she had "female issues" (eyebrow wiggle). Yes, she needed to use the other bathroom because that was where her supplies were, but we all could have enjoyed lunch without discussing this. This need to keep her fingers in everyones business while proclaiming how careful she is to not interfere. She asked me how much dd had in savings and how much her rent was and if they split it or what .... I said, "I don't know. I didn't ask." To which she replied, "Oh, I'd NEVER ask." Huh?

Bunny, I would not enjoy living with your mother. Someone who will never allow you to be the sick one or the one who has anything going on is so difficult. They always have to one up you. They never have headaches, always migraines. It is never a cold, always the flu. So exhausting. Hope you are feeling better. Summer colds are the worst. Lots of prayers with Accuquilt. What a dream come true that would be!!

Kathy, hope your discomfort is being controlled. Things should start really feeling better soon, right?

thanks for listening...
marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  07:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs...it is a wonderfully cool morning in the Ozarks...well, I have had my windows open all week!!!! It is supposed to creep back into the 90's however later this week...still no rain to mention, a few little showers now and then.

Sorry, I have been AWOL this week, but with sharing DH workload and trying to keep up with mine...well, y'all get the idea. He is steadily improving...in 8 days he is down to walking with a cane....I think he is rushing things, but he says it's good...so, okay.

Marianne, MIL issues...I guess we've all had our share....the last words I ever heard my dear MIL say...she informed my DH "I can't believe you're still with that woman"..... Shortly, after that she had a stroke and passed away. That was 8 years ago, but I can still hear those hateful words coming out of her mouth. And, yes, he is still with "that woman"! I feel for you, sister....I think in the future I will hang a 'no trespassing' sign at my front gate to keep my children away, so I don't voice how I really feel about their undeserving spouses!!! LOL....

Holly, I thought about you and your family a lot last night as Jim and I watched the Little League World Series....the New England region beat the Indiana team and the pitcher from the New England team pitched a no hitter game...the team was from Connticutt. It was a great game...we try to watch them every year.

Kathy, I pray your shoulder is easing up in the pain department...when you feel like it, you just keep typing those one handed messages.

Nancy, glad you made it home and that you had a wonderful time....I put a package in the mail for you yesterday!

Bunny, have a great year at school....don't get too frustrated! I graduated college in '07....so I do know what you are trying to do! I wish you were close to me so you could teach a class nearby! I ordered a book by that lady (can't think of her name) that you recommended. It was supposed to be here yesterday, but the Fed-ex guy called and left me a message saying he couldn't find me!!! He said he found box 160 and box 162, but where was I? Hello...box 161 is in the middle!!! So, hopefully, it will be here today! I have my fusing material and I know what I want to do, I already have my material laid out...I just need a little more expertise! LOL....

If I didn't mention you, I am sorry...I promise I have read every post, I have just been too tired to write....I am not ignoring you...you are always in my thoughts and in my prayers...

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

CheesemakerBeth
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Beth
PALESTINE Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  08:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, ladies. I joined the forum several weeks ago and have been lurking and reading since then. I've enjoyed reading your posts. I hope I can join in now. A little about myself; 57 years old; married; 3 grown kids (2 boys and a girl); 2 grandsons; been living on a farm since 1984, but just retired from teaching this last June and can now enjoy being a full time farm girl.
Right this minute my DH is doing something with the tractor that involves letting the mare and the jack out into the front yard, so I'm watching Otis (the jack) poop right out the front door!
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  09:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Holly, there isn't much that can be done for my mom. She has always been like this. Her mother was the same. The only good thing is she doesn't drink anymore. I would have preferred to live in my truck is she was.

Marianne, so sorry about mil. What is it about them. I had one that didn't like me either. Yet, my sil's husband cheated on her and to this day mil still is friends with him. Thankfully I don't have to deal with her but my poor kids have taken the brunt of her feeling. They pretty much say they have no grandparents. Neither my mom or their dads parents have ever tried to be involved in their lives. So sad.

Marilyn, hope your husband mends up despite his efforts..lol. They have to be so macho! They don't realize both of you will pay when he over does it.
It sounds like you ordered Laura Wasilowski's book? You will love it. Such fun. If you can find hand died fabrics anywhere do it. Otherwise batiks work great. I use mostly non-patterned cottons and batiks. Ifntherenaremany quilt shows in your area, sometimes you can find nice hand dyed cottons there. You could try etsy too. Have fun!

Well it turned out I didn't have the flu, it was a really bad fibro flare from doing way too much. I'm pretty much in bed today. I have to rest up for the quilt show starting on Thursday. I'm doing demo's out front to drum up more students for my class on Saturday. I'll be on my feet all day Saturday and will pay for it dearly on Sunday.
Wish me luck...Momma needs her school books!

Beth, welcome! So jealous you get to be a real farm girl. Hope to see you more often.

Later all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  09:06:11 AM  Show Profile
Hello Beth...glad you decided to join us! Your tale about animals in the yard made me smile....well, living in Texas, you can understand the drought, 'cept I hear y'all have been getting some rain...anyway, my DH (dear husband) has been letting one of his 'pet' cows into the yard to eat the grass and this morning as I was reading your post he was outside putting the cow back in the pasture!!! So, yeah, I had to smile....I guess Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matte where we live! So glad you could join us, don't be shy, you're among friends!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

CheesemakerBeth
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Beth
PALESTINE Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  11:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Marylyn, We had the worst drought on record last year. I've felt your pain this year, and prayed for you. The radar on the computer says it is raining here right now, but I don't see it! But I can't complain, we've been blessed with enough rain to get 2 cuttings of hay this summer and a good garden. (Last year, our cows got dust pnuemonia from breathing so much dust and we didn't put up a blade of grass)

Bunny, thanks for the welcome.

Off to piece quilt squares (one of my favorite hobbies)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  4:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I guess I was spared any MIL trauma because in the 23 years that my partner's mother was alive while we were together she never once came to visit nor was I invited out to where she lived to meet her.

A few years ago when we had horses and pigs and they all roamed around the horses would stand in the garage to get out of the heat and the pigs would go along behind them eating up their poops. Recycling at its best.

Last night we were back to the summer evening temperatures. Cool enough that we could sleep without a fan but warm enough we only needed the sheet.
Today was cool in the morning and warm all day. T shirt weather.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page