darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  12:05:11 PM  Show Profile
First off, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BUNNY! Enjoy the attention! You are the best!

I hope everyone experiencing the heat have an a/c alternative and those experiencing the storms have safe havens. I almost feel guilty saying that today it will reach 80 and is sunny in Cupertino -- and in Oakhurst (we go up this evening) it is forecasted to be in the low to mid-80s all weekend. The kids have all opted to stay at home for the (early) holiday weekend so I get to r-e-l-a-x. As much as I love them all, sometimes just having "me" time is so pleasant.

Kathy ... I pray your shoulder surgery goes well. And, your cake and cookie decorations are wonderful! And harvesting your garden goodies! How do you manage? I'm sure not good at "plowing through the pain." You must have a superwoman gene.

If I have a recipe for the granola/protein bar, I don't know where it is - or where to look. I have about 8 or 9 shelves of cookbooks. I really need to weed them out. But instead - I will find and buy the ONLY cookbook in a gift or thrift shop. I'm too embarrassed to share how many boxes of Bon Apetit, Clean Cooking, Gourmet, Cook's Country, etc. magazines I have. Does that make me a hoarder? (They are neatly stacked.)
Back to the granola/protein bar ... have you tried googling for recipes?

My sister sends DH fresh Georgia pecans for his birthday (or maybe it's Christmas - or both) every other year. She sends so many that I can't even use them all up in a year - so I freeze them. The only other nut I ever use is, ocassionally, almonds. (Well, not counting peanut butter.) My sister & BIL also have a Jack Russell Terrier. They absolutely love it. The pics of yours are adorable.

Oh, tell Jenny to watch the mailbox next week.

Thelma ... Treasure the memories. It's not possible to get inside the depth of another's loss of a dear one. I am sorry and offer a prayer for comfort in a difficult time.

Your tractor rides sound like fun. As much for the social as for the rides. Thanks for the book titles. I will check out Gardening For A Lifetime. Right now I'm fascinated by Perma-Gardening. Me being a MN native, you often give me nostalgia waves with your activities. I think you have started a movement toward a 2014 gathering. It just could happen - with or without tractor rides!

Holly ... I hope your water situation has been resolved. It's Farmer's Market Day nearby today ... I missed yesterday afternoon's market in Los Altos. DH finally let me call a plumber to fix the drip under the kitchen sink. It took the plumber an hour and a half ... he finally had to "squeeze, bend, and collapse" the part where it attaches to the sink in order to get it out. (We had a new assembly on standby.) It was a tough job. Glad DH abandoned it.

Penny ... Is Holly a fairy godmother, or what! She is probably one of, if not, THE - most thoughtful, nicest, kindest woman in the world. The yarn looks so soft and plush. And your weekend getaway sure looks like a good time! So glad you had fun. But, I have to ask, how does Jim manage riding one way for SIX hours with his back issues? Doesn't he have a lot of pain? Or, is it just worth it to enjoy that wonderful time?

Marianne -- Have I told you how much I enjoy reading your posts? Because you need to know that! I just haven't gotten into the earning of MJF badges either. It sounds like fun ... but then I'd be commited - and I'm way too much "spontaneous" with my projects - picking up what appeals to me at the moment. Oh, and I am soooo envious of your garden.

I am so very sorry that your daughter's job was a disaster. She was right to quit on the spot -- no woman has to put up with ANY kind of sexual harrassment - ever! They are darn fortunate she doesn't sue." She will find something that will be right for her - soon, I'm sure - and she will be glad that she slammed the door on that awful work environment.

Too bad she couldn't have left a dead mouse in the sleaze's desk drawer!

Okay! I don't like rodents either! Yuk. I think I talked about (way back) my Gr-GD and son getting rid of and cleaning up the mess after the neighbor's cat left us the remains of a ground (I think) squirrel. Squirrels playing in the trees is one thing ... icky on the porch (or driveway) is yet another!

Thanks, by the way, for affirming my need for uber-comfort on the road. I hear you on the comfy seats in your vehicle. Mine, too. (Which is another one of the many reasons I get to keep mine and DH's will get traded.)

Nancy -- are you now making sock-frogs? If a bunch of farmgirls send you tuna cans ... and you no longer need them for water gauges - will you be making windchimes or mobiles out of them (and, ha-, sending them back!)

Patty ... you will make a fantastic barista. You are so bubbly - you will outshine the foam on your lattes! You have 250! quail eggs? You counted them! We have quail all over the place in Oakhurst and I have no idea where to even look for eggs. I guess, since I've been remiss in posting, that Jake and buddies are probably in California by now? I hope they made it with no more glitches.

Gypsy, now that I'm finally getting my wind back ... you are off to who knows where. Loved hearing about Meigan's role in Annie. Cool that they will get a slot on the news!

Now admit it, the reason that pony-tailed guy at the car wash disappeared so quickly was because he got your call and had to rush to grab the next flight to Texas. He is probably putting suntan lotion on your back right now. You really need to learn to share, little sister!

Jan -- are you having a good time running your son's store? I think that would be fun.

Auntie M ... You want a strumstick? You go, girl. DS just got his music degree. This house has known much music, much music history, much guitar playing, keyboarding, harmonica, drumming -- and I'm not sure what all musically else ... but all of it either inspiring, calming, or making for happy feet.

Hello - Bonnie! I see you've been around the farm for a while. We need to know the skinny on your birthday info. Please send it to Penny so we can put you on our birthday card list. You'll be 70 in July, (another Year of the Horse baby) Nancy just turned 70 in February and I'll be 70 end of September. Glenda is crawling along behind us as she's 68 until July 9th. BTW, I lived in Mpls for many years - many years ago.

Bunny - I hope you are having a fantastic birthday. You are just a young-un. Enjoy the glamour of your rich, lush, chocolaty hair. Celebrate turning the page on another year. (You'll never catch up to me though - and life keeps getting better and better, even though our joints squeek a little louder.) Enjoy carrying the banner: Young at Heart!

Now that I've about written a novel - I guess I should get off my tush and gather up the stuff that needs to be packed for Oakhurst. I also need to open some windows, throw in a load of laundry and do my domestic diva dance for a while.

The hummingbirds have arrived for their lunch ... Have I really spent the morning with farmgirls? Yep ... but I may not get back until Monday. So, for a while ... Happy Trails To You ....

Rainbows & Butterflies & Ripe Lemons & the scent of Jasmine ... and pine trees after the rain ... frogs croaking, crickets chirping, and special friendships ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  6:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Marianne- How awful for your daughter. Those types of situations make me feel horrible. I hope she comes through this unscathed.

Bunny - I hope your birthday today was wonderful. I am glad you are posting again.

Thelma I am sorry that your dear friend, Ken has passed. Tell the good stories. You are great at stories.

The water is not fixed yet. Here I posted that the hardest part was done when they were out of the trees. Nope. The ditch through the field seems to have been easy. Then they had to go along a 100 foot section of trees next to the road through the fields. Joseph wanted the ditch far enough away from the road so it would not be bothered so they had to cut down a number of trees. Not especially big trees , the biggest maybe 8 inches across. the sad part was that all of the trees were soft woods so the wood will not burn hot enough or long enough in the wood stove to make it worthwhile to cut for the winter. I will cut it up for the woodfired hot tub so it will not be wasted. http://snorkel.com/hot-tub-products/wood-fired-hot-tubs.php From this section Unky needs to put the ditch through the field behind the house. He is becoming more than a little frustrated because he wants to set the pipe 4 feet into the ground so it will not be bothered by the frost and we have too much ledge under the grass to allow this. He is on his third try to find a path. He will come tomorrow to get the ditch to the fence by the garden. Then they will finish on Monday.

I found where Mrs Guinea is setting. It is right off the corner of the strawberry tower next to the fence. She gave me a get away from here glare when I looked in on her. I was cutting down the tall burdock plants to make a path for the excavator when I found her. I did not cut the plants right around her. So, I hope she hatches those babies soon. There is enough room for the excavator to go by her but it does make a lot of noise.

I think I would be worried about breaking something if I worked in an antique store. I am not the most graceful of individuals. I think it would be fascinating to see all of the items that someone else used long ago and think about their lives. Years ago I went to the auction at the home of an older couple that had died in their nineties. I remember they had a rocker that had the Sears catalog advertisement taped to the bottom and the chair had cost $2. It was still in great shape.

it was in the seventies low eighties today with a stiff breeze most of the day. Around four o'clock we had a deluge for ten minutes. A lovely day in the north country.

anyone heard from Dianne or Ginny or Janiee?

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Jun 29 2012 6:58:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  7:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick post tonight, working long hours. I have been working during the day, then running out where my son is in the flea market and helping him. Last night we hauled and set up as much as we could after work. Tonight we went there after work and helped him cover everything. Tomorrow after work we go back to pack and haul it all back. It has been 96 degrees here the last 2 days besides and very hot. We are not used to that kind of heat here with the humididty. I am really having a hard time breathing. We do not have air and cannot afford to buy a window one yet. I am feeling that I am not a spring chicken anymore. It will be late when we finish tomorrow, so will probably not hear from me until at least Sunday.
Stay safe and cool,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  8:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, gfs!!! Hot, hot, hot, here in the Ozarks, but since this heat wave is over the entire country, I guess y'all know what I'm talking about. 108 here today, of course, all next week the temps are supposed to drop to 99....whew!!!! Seems it takes hours to water all the fruit trees, strawberries, garden, roses, cattle, goats and after about two hours of that I'm done....I mean stick a fork in me, I'm done!!!! Now, I am at work...in the wonderful air-conditioning!

Oh, Thelma, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend....my deepest sympathies to you and to his family. You be safe out there on the road.

Holly, I hope your water situation gets fixed with no more hitches...water is so vital...I remember several years ago our pump went out and me and my DH pulled that pump out by hand three times in one day! Our well is 200' deep!!! And it always happens in the hottest weather. At least your weather is tolerable this week-end.

Bunny, Happy Birthday!!! I hope it was great and that you got lots of presents, love, and spoiled rotten!!!

OMG, Marianne, your poor daughter!!! I thought archaic behavior like that went out with Peyton Place!!!!! That is terrible...sleezebags!!!!!!!

Kathy, I pray your surgery goes smoothly and that you recover super fast.

Well, now I am torn between the harmonica or the strumstick....I know it sounds kinda hokie.....can't help myself. I lost my singing voice a few years before I had my surgery and after surgery it just never came back. I miss singing so much. I started singing when I started talking and I started singing in public when I was two or three years old. I was in my late forties when I opened my mouth to belt one out and it just croaked....I never let on to anybody, but it really bothers me sometimes. Oh well, that's the breaks...just get over it and pick up an instrument and start playing!!! Hey, maybe I'll learn both!

Good night, all,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  9:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Happy Birthday Bunny, hope you have a really great one....oh guess I should say had...lol

Darlys, Jim has a lot of pain when we ride that far, but we stop alot...so a six hour trip takes us about 9 hours...lol..we stop alot so he can get off the bike and walk for 10 or 15 min...we only ride about an hour...he suffered when we got home and said he can't make those long trips very often...but he enjoys the riding so much... when we ride around here it is only for about an hour..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on Jun 29 2012 9:06:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  10:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Tried to post and it went to Internet heaven. Hissy fit time. I'll try again tomorrow

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  11:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Marylyn, I would think you would miss singing so much. It is hard to admit because it makes it more real, huh. Sometimes I hate saying things out loud or putting them down in writing because then it is real. Do you think the harmonica would be more fulfilling? I mean, using your mouth to make music again. That may be simplifying it too much... The strumsticks sounds more fun, though! Why not do both? I think you are right to try to replace something so important to you. It must break your heart to no longer be able to express yourself that way. I have lost some of my self-expression due to arthritis. It does make you sad.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  11:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Kathy I forgot to tell you. Your butterfly cake is pretty. Your roses turned out very pretty. You got them all so even! I, too am a buttercream fiend! Always choose that scent in candles. When is your shoulder surgery going to take place?

Bunny, don't feel bad about your post. Internet Heaven is very full!! Hope you had a wonderful day. How's the hair?

Janet, sounds like a very busy weekend. Hope your son makes a killing! And you get a break from the heat.

Holly, what can ya say...hope the water nightmare comes to an end. It is a shame to have to take down trees that you can't use. Come on Mrs. Guinea! We checked on Mrs. Quail- actually I guess it could have been Mr. Quail - and he/she is still sitting on the eggs. Anytime now! We couldn't tell for sure whether she was gone, so we moved the brush and she was there just looking at us. Kinda a "do you mind?" look ...

Thanks for commiserating about the outrageous environment at dd's job. She had a bad feeling all the way through the interview process. Guess she should have trusted her instincts. Oh, well. She lost a few days of job-searching. She is back at it hot and heavy. It has been a very long process. Please keep her in your thoughts. I appreciate your support so much.

We rented 21 Jump Street tonight. The remake. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill. It was very entertaining. Not thought provoking, but mindless fun. Channing Tatum is the star of that movie Magic Mike that opens today. Now THAT looks thought provoking. You just don't want to know my thoughts!

Dh is home!! He was in Vegas this week. And so happy to get home to our cool weather. Surprisingly, he was mistaken twice for that Monster Fish guy. Neither of us knew who that was...internet search showed someone who looks somewhat like my dh in about ten/fifteen years. We could both see how the men (both instances) thought it might have been the host of the show when they saw my husband. But dh did ask, "Do I look that old?" And he doesn't, yet.

Have a great weekend. Holly hope your news is better in the next few days!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  06:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning from Maryland where we made it through the storm. We lost some of the sunflowers in the garden & some limbs from the backyard tree. We have baby birds all over and the dogs are going crazy. Chickens..well, they were fine. Electricity been out since midnight. Husband hooked up the generator to run the window air conditioner, freezer, fridge & TV. Yard in a mess. But boy what a storm. It was not expected. We went to bed around 11:30 and the wind was just starting to pick up. Then suddenly rain, rain and more rain. Baltimore has declared minor emergency. Over 100 trees fell. Several people killed from trees falling and lots of lightening strikes. DC had some trees down & lightening strikes too. Crazy around here. But we are all ok here.
Shoulder surgery scheduled for Aug 16th.
Second crop of green beans should be well going by then & I should be fairly healed when they're ready for harvest. Salad mix still growing. Baby spinach doing great. Green onions still growing. Tomatoes & peppers all made it through the storm ok & squash ok too.
Well, I better get going. Lots of branches to clean up.
Hope everybody else is doing well too.

Later sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  09:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, glad you are ok after that terrible storm! I use to live in the forest with tall pines all around. When we got really high winds I would sleep in my clothes with a go bag next to the bed. Sounds like you have everything under control. I worry about the elderly though.

Marilyn, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't sing. So sorry for you. Playing an instrument is a good idea though. Good luck.

Marianne, I hope your daughter finds just what she is looking for. Have her check out this website. This guy has great advice for job seekers along with good financial advise for everyone.
www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/
He is young, smart and talks so his generation understands what he is saying.
Have her check out the briefcase technique.

My hair turned out great. If only a face lift could go with it. I am losing weight so hopefully some day that will get better. Of course I met a very nice single man while I was sitting there with no makup and my hair in a Baggie. Stunning!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  5:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Ross and I spent the morning riding his bike. He rode I walked and pushed him when the training wheels hung up the rear tire and it spun and spun and we laughed and laughed. We looked at the ditch Unky is trying to dig. He did get a little worried when he took out a section of the pipe to the leech field. We laughed over this as well. We wanted to make sure that when Joseph was putting in the new section that we flushed all three toilets at the same time. We did miss that opportunity but it would have been funny.

So, we are still filling the holding tank from the stream but, it is ok.

Mrs Guinea is still setting on her eggs. Mr Guinea is torturing the turkeys by chasing them around their pen and beaking their tails. He found a way into their pen. I think I found his secret entrance and have blocked it. When the guineas were chicks last summer they slept nestled on top of the turkeys.

I went to a yard sale this afternoon and picked up two garbage bags of stuffed animals for prizes for the fourth of July. I also found 4 dinner plates and four salad plates of Lennox china. They are a cream color with a gold rim. I have given up keeping a set of plates and am now finding unique plates at yard sales to use for dinner plates. There were other treasures as well. Then I went to the left overs of two closed yard sales and picked through their free piles. it was fun.

I found a garden cart on the side of the road with a free plants sign on it. I scooped some tomatoes and brussell sprouts. I will plant them in bigger containers tomorrow.

A lovely day here in the Green Mountains. Temperatures in the eighties with a stiff breeze. Glad I live on the side of a hill where there is not any asphalt to soak up the heat.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Another lovely day in the Green Mountains. Temperatures were in the eighties with a stiff breeze off and on. The deer flies are buzzing and biting. I really should not complain because the mosquitoes and black flies were minimal. Mrs guinea is still sitting.

We did a lot of piddly chores today. Like cutting burdock, picking up trash,laundry and making banana bread.

I have started picking beetles off my rose bushes. Saving up for the chickens.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Did you notice that we broke page 300 on this forum? My but don't we gab a bit.

Before the storm, Jenny and I pulled out all the green bean plants and gave them all to the chickens. They are still out there picking through them.

Since we didn't have any power yesterday, I mowed our lawns on our John Deere yard tractor. Not much of a 'tractor', but it is ours. And it mows our third of an acre really fast!

Well, it's getting dark and I'm getting tired. I did a lot of cleaning today. I mean, what else can you do when you don't have power for the tv?

Later sisters. Prayers all around - especially around here!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, I survived working 4 days, 3 of them were 96 degrees. We helped my son set up for the flea market Thursday night after working all day, then Friday helped him close up after working all day and last night we hauled everything back, plus there was an auction there, so he bought alot of furniture and had to make 2 extra trips back and forth to get all of that home. We got done about 9:30 last night. We were so beat, we ended up just relaxing most of today to recoup. I sure am glad that is all over with. It only got to 81 today, alot more bearable. My gardens were very thirsty and were so happy that I watered them. Everything is growing so big and all have blossoms on them now. Should have a good harvest this year.
I will try to catch up with all of you tomorrow, stat dry and cool, and hope the wildfires and storms did not damage where you live.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  8:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, you and I are "on the same page" I was astounded that we got to page 300, too. I even went back to see that I joined the group 4 days after I was officially able to be an Over 50 on page 153. So I was thinking I have been here almost half the time ... or I guess half the chatting! 150 pages in just over six months!! What fun.

So glad that you posted your JD tractor. Love it! And you look very happy on it. I always had such fun on my parents JD lawn tractor as a teenager. It sure does make the job easier. Anyway, I feel much more assured of your safety after that storm seeing such great photos. The chickens are loving the beans! When will you have power back? Any estimates?

Janet, You sure deserve a few days off! The heat just saps all your energy doesn't it? Did your son do well? I sure hope your hard work paid off for him! He must appreciate your support so much and it must make you feel wonderful to be able to be such a big help to him.

Good for you, Holly having a normal just catch up on chores day. You are always getting so much done, it's nice to hear that maybe you only got about half of your normal amount done and spent a bit of time resting?? Mrs. Guinea better light a fire under her bottom! She would make your life a bit easier if she got going on moving those babies.

I had a nice day doing some errands with Dh and then we bbq-ed veggie burgers for lunch. They were so delicious. We did some gardening and now, dh is working on his weekly report. He always puts it off until Sunday night, don't know why! It does give me a chance to catch up with my gals, though.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  05:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow! We are on page 300. How fast did the pages go from 100 to 300. We are a chatty group.

Kathy, sorry to hear that your electricity is out. Your storm seems worse in many ways than the one here in FL. We had lots and lots of rain but very little wind.

Marilyn, playing an instrument is a wonderful way to express a desire to make music if you cannot sing. It must be very frustrating since you were once an avid singer. I wish I were a more musical person. I did not inherit my father's musical ability as did my brother. Well, I try, anyway.

Bunny so happy to see your site. The things on there are lovely. I am glad that your hair came out well. I love being a redhead so I am probably going to color my hair always.

Holly love to hear you telling us about playing and spending time with Ross. You two have so much fun together. You really did well at the yard sale. What a lot of great things you got. We don't have too many really good yard sales here.

Janet you have been one busy, busy lady. After reading your post I feel like going back to bed for a rest. Wait a minute I didn't do any of that work. I hope you are getting some rest today. :)

Marianne your bbque burger lunch sounds yummy. I am a crazy person for veggies so the veggie burger sounds really good.

Today I have the usual errands....laundry, shopping for groceries and making some phone calls. I am trying to get a refund from the Fontline Plus company for some flea/tick that I bought for my cat. He got a rash from it. I paid $85 for the stuff. I sent it back to the company with the receipt as requested and now they called and told me I didn't send them the receipt. Aarg! I dislike having to spend my time on the phone discussing these things. I will let you know how it turns out.

It is hot again today and will be in the 90's for the rest of the week. Maybe we will get some thunder showers.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  11:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. I just want to thank everyone for keeping Darwin and I in your prayers while we traveled to WI to deal with Ken's passing. Ken and Darwin were in the military together back in the 60's. Darwin and his friends are a group of army buds that have kept in touch over the years. We have spent many hours together camping, visiting each others homes, our children grew up together, attended their weddings and children's weddings, not to mention births, babtisms, confirmations,and graduations. This was the first time we met too honor the life of someone who passed over. We will be together again in October when we all travel back to WI to see how Deb is doing and take her to church.

I have taken the time to read all you recent posts, but I am to tired to answer each of you today. I promise to get back on tonight or tomorrow and do just that.

Penny, will you please send me an updated birthday list. Mine was lost when my computer crashed so don't have everyones information. THANKS. You are a doll. tdadams@wctatel.net
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  2:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Kathy, we lost power too...but lucky that ours came back on in just a few min....had trees down over the driveway...but had someone here during the store and they cleaned it up so I could get out...but when I left for work this morning had one tree hanging over half the driveway..but was able to get around it...Jim had it cleaned out of the way when I came home....

Holly so good to hear about the fun you and Ross were having. Did you see where I posted the thank you for my box of yarn? I am still amazed everytime I look at it...I have been so blessed by you...I can't even tell you what it meant to me. Thanks again. Did you know there was a double ended crochet hook in it too? I always wanted one of those to try a new pattern I found. You are one amazing lady.

Thelma, I will send you a new list ASAP...if anyone else needs one let me know...

I'm so tired today...work was tough today...so not going to post much...but am thinking of all of you and hope everyone made it through the storms ok...love ya'll

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Holly! I got a nice surprise in the mail today. Holly sent a jar of Vermont honey for my birthday. I love honey and buy local honey here too. I love to support the locals as much as possible. I was amazed by how light it is compared to my local honey. Holly, do you know what kind it is? Thank you to everyone that sent cards. Made me feel like I had friends, even if they are scattered all over th US.

Got all the panels to my jacket quilted. Now I just need to put it together.
Here is the quilting pattern I did.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  3:09:39 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, the picture turned out sideways.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  4:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, glad you had a nice birthday. You do have alot of friends all over the country. I like the quilting pattern that you are using. Am looking forward to seeing the jacket all finished. I know it will look wonderful, you are a great sewer. Do you have any teaching classes scheduled?
I am so tired yet from all the heat and hard work I did over the weekend. Today I did a load of laundry, ran and paid bills, and put up blinds in the bathroom. Now we can open up the window in there and still have privacy. It was only 78 today, but very humid, so you sweat just walking across the room.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  5:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Thelma I am glad you are Darwin are safe back home. Wow a service buddy I am amazed when people tell me they have friends for many many years. I think that is a deficit of mine not keeping up with people.

Penny, yes, I did know I included a double ended crochet hook. I picked up a few at a yard sale and had no idea what to do with them so you received one. I am glad to hear that you have a clue how it even works. I know two crochet stitches and do not yet read a crochet pattern. I am much better at knitting but do not do much of it these days because I hate to pick up dropped stitches and with a little one around who is very curious I would probably have to pick up stitches. Also the patterns I like to do change a lot so I have to think when I do them. So, two crochet stitches for me for now. I am glad the yarn gave you joy.

The honey is from local flowers. A bit of everything that grows and blossoms around here. We do not have groves or fields of one particular plant. It probably has roses, maple, clover, chicory, daisy, poplars, goldenrod, and anything else that grows. We were told when Leo had nasty allergies to give him an 1/8 teaspoon of pollen from the geographic area and 1 tablespoon of honey from the area in a cup of tea each day. We did this for a year or so and his face is no longer a faucet.

Jan I remember when it took no time at all for me to recover from the stenuous few days you had helping your son. Now, it would take me days to get rested and feel like I was. Does he have nice pieces that you covet?

Kathy even though we have animals and a big tractor we do not have a lawn mower anymore. I think I need to borrow one from the neighbor. Is Jenny the daughter you said a while ago who did not like to help in the garden? She seems to be helping a lot more now.

When Mrs Guinea was off filling her gullet today I peeked at the eggs. she has a dozen or so in her nest. I hope they hatch when the weeds are dry. I read that if the babies get wet when they are in fluff they are likely to die. After all this time I sure hope they make it to maturity.

Nancy, I received your thank you card today. You write a good note.

Marianne it is nice to hear that dh is home long enough for you to have a nice time together. It must be hard having him travel so much. How are your quail eggs?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  7:15:22 PM  Show Profile
HURRAY FOR ME!!!!!!!! I just finished my prayer shawl. To bad that it is so hot outside or i would be wearing it everywhere I plan to go this week. Holly I only know 3 stitches myself. I did crochet as a child but have forgotten everything. I decided to work on some dishclothes this past winter. then I made a doll blanket fot my granddaughter and now a shawl/blanket for me. Yup! I am going for my crochet badge!!!!!!!!!

Taa taa chickie poos - I'll try to be a better friend tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  8:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, gfs!!! I'm pooped! When I got off work Sunday morning at 8 a.m. My hubby and I headed for Illinois. My husband used to live there and has stayed close friends with his railroad buddies. So we visited with a couple of them in Alton and then on to Carlinville. I dropped my hubby off at his friends house and drove two blocks to Patty's house!!!! Yipppeeee! She is so awesome, we had a great time!!! The visit was kinda short, but I got to meet all of her poultry family and then we rode out to her parents' home! Wonderful people! Patty and I seem to have so much in common it was almost surreal...hehehe...like every time I would say something, she would say "me, too!" and then she would start to tell me something and my response would be "me, too!". Then we would laugh! Can't wait until 2014!!!! Farmgirls!!!! Gotta love us!!!

Bunny, what beautiful blocks for your jacket!!! I can't wait to see the finished product...but, of course, I will wait, but that is gorgeous! There are so many talented sisters here, I stay in awe most of the time.

Kathy, really like the pics...a John Deere riding mower, my dream!!!! Are your chickens good layers? They sure are pretty!

Thelma, so glad that you made it home safely...saying good-bye to friends and loved ones is so draining and sad, my deepest sympathies to your husband and to you. My husband's friend that we just visited went through cancer treatment last year and I over-heard him tell his friend as we were leaving that "we have so few friends, you take care" and I could hear the catch in his voice as he tried not to have a catch in his voice. He and my husband have been friends for 47 years.

Page 300!!!! Wow....I think I started around page 240 and I'm a newbie,,,,,naw, not anymore! Hehehe....

Love ya's .... I am going to bed!

Night, night,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  8:45:38 PM  Show Profile
Hurray for YOU, Thelma! What a great feeling to finish a project that was a challenge. And how wonderful that you did it for yourself. So often we do our crafts for everyone but ourselves. I do hope you are going to post a photo of you modeling once it cools off enough. Glad to hear you are safely home.

Janet when I am very busy for a weekend or a few days in a row, I have what I call a "busy hangover." I have to be careful about clarifying that it is from being busy not drinking!! So, don't feel badly if you kind of haphazardly got some laundry and errands done today. You were really busy and the heat just compounds it!

Holly thanks for asking about the quail eggs. They are still there. It has been three full weeks since I first found them. Mrs. (Or maybe it is Mr.) Quail is still sitting on them.

Tomorrow I will have my mammogram. My last one came back suspect and had to have another. Well, I ended up with 12 more xrays! The suspicious area was right next to my rib cage so it was difficult to get a good look. I have fibrous breasts and that is all it was. But, being called to come in for another look and then I spent over an hour and a half the second visit because they have the analyst look at it while you are there so you don't have to wonder what the outcome is. I thought that was right. I had to go into the squeezie machine three separate times that visit and then waited for the xrays to be read each time. The third time the technician came back and said "we need to get another angle" I was telling her to pull and squeeze and get it done! I am very small-breasted.

So, to say the least, I am looking forward to having my appt. over with tomorrow! Then Dh and I are going to run to the grocery store, home depot and finally Costco! I want to pick up one of those stirrup hoes some of the farmgirls rave about. Do any of you gals have one?

To round out our day, the farrier will be here to give Tahoe and Sunny a mani/pedi. So it will be busy, but with the Fourth being Wednesday, I will enjoy a quiet day.

Does anyone have big 4th of July plans? We can usually see four simultaneous firework displays from our house. All the small towns around us have their own display and they all happen at the same time. Fun for us, Mollie doesn't enjoy the booming now that she is older. She may enjoy a Benadryl in a lovely piece of cheese about one half hour before the fireworks start!! I fondly refer to these as "cheese pills." DH calls them doggie downers.

later alligators,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page