Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  09:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, I just going to post on what is on this page 269 since I'm so far behind...lol..but that just seems the way things will be for a while...

Ginny, love the doll it is so you....I hope your hand isn't broke, hope you get to feeling better

Dianne, saying a prayer for you and your hubby, hope every thing turns out the way you want.

Janet, sorry to hear about someone passing away....it is sad even if you don't know them, hope you have lots of fun at the lawn games....

Glenda, the play sounds like it was a good one. I hope you are doing good and getting back in the swing of things

Patty, that is a lot of chicks, I bet they do keep you busy. How is your back? I'm trying not to wear myself out...lol..I have Mon, Tue, Wed and Thurs off....I'm working Fri and Sat. And so excited that my youngest son is coming for the weekend...So sweet of him to come to see his Mommy on Mother's day. It is about and 2 and half hour drive one way but don't get to see him often. But so nice to have him back down south. I'm glad he didn't decide to stay in MI...he got a new job driving a tractor for an ice company...he really likes it and they have bragged on him about his backing skills, while THE MASTER'S was going on in Augusta, GA he was told know one else has been able to back into the little space they needed to except him...so of course it isn't a big thing but makes this Momma proud. I work Sat morning so I will be able to spend all afternoon and Sunday with him...I wish my oldest and his family could come to but don't think that is going to happen. Oh well maybe soon.

Hope everyone has a great day, we are having spotty showers which my garden is loving....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on May 08 2012 8:56:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  11:39:19 AM  Show Profile
Just on for a minute, it is thundering so I want to shut off the computer in case there are any outages.
Penny, So glad to hear from you. Sounds like you are enjoying your job. Have a great weekend with your son.
Ginny, so sorry to hear of your fall. That is no fun at all. Hope you do not have any broken bones. I did that a few months ago and loosened up my front teeth.
I will try to get on after, if the weather lets me.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  1:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi All

Marylyn do you have pictures? I love baby animal pictures.

Patty my youngest DD has 2 ducks. I don't remember what kind. I think they were the only animals that enjoyed all the rain.

Kathy I never tried peanut butter and pickles with cheese. I will have to try it.

Bunny I had the same surgery Darlys did, about a year ago. I can eat all the ice cream and pickles I want with no fear. LOL.

Holly I have seen the cow plop bingo at county fairs. It is fun to watch. I did win.

All this talk about camping hasmade me want to go. I love waking up in the mountains with the smell of pine trees.

Darlys I love it when you find great "impulses" I have had the same thing happen. Only my kids had to ride squished so I could put my treasure in the car. LOL

Ginny I am glad nothing was broken. That sounds like a really bad fall.
Holly that doll is cute.

I have 2 more days of the after school program then it is just paper work on that part of the job. (I really really hate paper work) I have one more senior that needs to get a class finished so that part is also almost done. School is out here the 25th, so I am hanging on. LOL

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  2:39:58 PM  Show Profile
good afternoon gfs. Ginny I am so sorry for your troubles. I think the only thing I learned in my ski lessons so many years ago was how to fall without hurting yourself. It has held me in good stead all these years, as I have taken a few tumbles down stairs, on my steep hillside, and most recently fell like Ginny, totally pitched forward as hard as I could, thought I'd do summersaults. They say the reason why drunk people don't get hurt as badly as the rest of us in a car wreck for example, it is because they are relaxed. If you have time to think, relax and roll with it, and try to catch the weight on all 4's (as opposed to just your hands, for example)and then roll if you can (instead of just going Splat), you have a better chance of not breaking anything. I know this is all easier said than done. Ginny I sure hope nothing was broken and you are feeling better now. I managed to take it on both knees and both forearms, saving my hands and dividing the weight of the fall among several limbs so nothing broke. I put straight Tea Tree Oil on the skinned up knees and they healed really fast. (Cleaned with hydrogen peroxide first)

Speaking of camping, there is a farmgirl with a pinterest board called glamping I think, her name is Tammy Paulson and we follow each other's boards, I think she is a Texas farmgirl, anyway she has the most amazing pins on all these retro campers all glamped up. such fun to look at but I wonder who washes all those pretty things - ever the practical one, I am. and what to do when the wind and rain get up when you are out in those tiny things. sure are cute,tho, and I'd love to have one.
Penny, glad the job is going well but I know how bad a new job tires you out. So glad you will have your son with you on Mother's day.
Holly, the doll is very glamorous--love the wings, too. How did you do that? the feathers are so white and fine.
Dianne, my daughter also teaches and she is also counting the days. She is a special ed teacher and this is her 5th year in a school (not sure what they call it) maybe "underserved" or something like that, actually it is a school where nobody wants to teach and she has hung in there for 5 years so she got her student loans forgiven. She is hoping to go for her doctorate in about a year and work at the university. There she will do a lot of research and she really thinks she would enjoy that after 5 years of wrestling with these kids that come to school with guns and knives at 5th grade if you can believe that.
A couple of pages back you all were talking about floors, carpet, etc. When we remodeled our house in 2005 I had all the carpet ripped out and thrown away. Mom said I'd be sorry because the hard floors will always show dirt and I would work myself to death keeping them clean. My argument was the dirt is there whether you can see it or not and I did not want the dirty carpet, particularly with allergies, and in the country people are constantly tracking in stickers and little pieces of gravel from the road,which I then find with my bare feet in the middle of the night. So I got my pretty wood floors and made people take their dirty shoes off on the porch before coming in. It caused some major issues with certain people, but I just stood firm and said I had more to do than clean up other people's mess,--- my house, my rules, tough luck. My own kids still say "Yes,mam" but the stepkids tried to push me around a little, but .....ha
Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on May 08 2012 3:14:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  5:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

One of my biggest fears is falling down and breaking my teeth. I had braces as a teenager and then I had them as an adult to cure the TMJ that resulted from the braces I had as a child. I am invested in my teeth. I hope I'll have them until I die. Jan it must have been awful for you. Ginny I hope you heal quickly.

I put a little pancake on the back of the doll and poked holes around the edge of the pancake. Then I glued the feathers into the holes. The feathers are guinea feathers that I have been collecting all spring in a little box. We have two white guineas, three grey with white dots and one black with white dots. There is some name for the last two guineas but I do not know them off the top of my head.

Glenda I am glad to see you writing again. I have missed your posts and knowing you are well.

Dianne I am sending good energy your way for the land. School ends here on June 15th.

Most people take off their shoes when they enter our house. I have thought about knitting little slip on slippers for people and keeping them by the front door for people to wear. I have not done this of course. I have seen shoe covers that look like big scuffs that people slip their shoes into and can walk around without messing the floors. At least with hard wood floors you can see the dirt and vacuum it up but it hides in a rug.

Today it rained all day. It was a steady soaking rain so it will be good for the gardens.
Someone to whom we give manure sent home fifteen broccoli plants and I planted them tonight. Now to keep the @#$%^ chickens from scratching them up. I hope the wire I put over them works.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  8:27:04 PM  Show Profile
thanks Holly,

I am getting a huge kick out of you girls using @#$% as adjectives because I thought I had the corner on the market for cussing. See,Darlys, I'm not the only one.
When I was a child we clipped the chickens' wings to keep them from flying over the pen. You have to be careful not to cut that one little feather at the end that has blood in it (I just vaguely remember this) but you can clip the wings and keep them under control. Now I don't know about guineas, but they do not scratch up the garden like chickens do. I much prefer guineas for bug control. Last year I had this big plan that I would go back to my beautiful little farm and have my gardens (I have both raised bed veggie gardens and lots of flower and herb gardens) and I would get the old chicken house painted up and get the orchard back in shape and all would be wonderful. Well, to borrow a good word from Patty, I have not done diddly squat. Every time I would get started, I would have to go to take care of a family matter, a business matter, or some other thing calling me away. Even what I put in my greenhouse last fall did not make it. I have ended up with one scraggly strawberry plant that is bravely trying to make it, one lavender plant, a couple of mints and of course the aloe vera which no one should be without. Also a big beautiful pot of thyme which I need to transplant some other places. There is old stuff that has survived mostly larger shrubs and perienials, some beautiful Jeruselam Sage two rose bushes (out of about 6) some iris that may or may not bloom, and a lot of salvia which you can't kill if you try. then I have Plumbago in a big bed beside the house that is pretty every year, along with lots and lots of crepe myrtles, Esperanza, and rosemary. When i think of how beautiful it once was and how awful it looks now after being abandoned for so long it really makes me want to cry. I think it is too big a job for one person and I have found that I am just too lonely to stay very long by myself. I am a people person. For so many years I had to work and take care of my children and home and that left no time for anything else, and now I want to have girlfriends to do things with, pursue my art and go places, so the two lives somehow just don't work together. I have tried to understand why I am driven to do the art, why I can't just forget it, and I finally found a picture on pinterest that explains everything. I don't usually post their stuff, but if I can get it to work I am going to post it here. I want to see how many of you will relate.

Left brain: I am the left brain. I am a scientist. A mathematician. I love the familiar. I categorize. I am accurate. Linear. Analytical. Strategic. I am practical. Always in control. A master of words and language. Realistic. I calculate equations and play with numbers. I am order. I am logic. I know exactly who I am.

Right brain: I am the right brain. I am creativity. A free spirit. I am passion. Yearning. Sensuality. I am the sound of roaring laughter. I am taste. The feeling of sand beneath bare feet. I am movement. Vivid colors. I am the urge to paint on an empty canvas. I am boundless imagination. Art. Poetry. I sense. I feel. I am everything I wanted to be.

For years I had to be the left brain to take care of my family. Now I have to be the right brain for me, and I can not help it. I finally understand why I have refused to part with any of my art stuff for so many years, because I knew someday, it would be my turn.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on May 08 2012 8:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  9:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, gfs! What a day...busy, busy, busy! This morning I was cutting out a tablecloth and my husband called...he informs me that we're going to see the great grand baby this morning! Okay...baby is great and gorgeous.....we get ome around noon so I finished the tablecloth, washed all my old linens and hung them on the line so the sun could bleach them, brought themin and ironed. Then washed my tablecloths and re-ironed them! Then I took a break and went to town...back home and I made candle holders by hot gluing mason jars to crystal candle sticks, washed all of my china and glassware!!!

Oh, Ginny, I am so sorry...good energy and best wishes to you!!!

Okay, here's the scoop...I cannot send pictures from my iPad, except to Facebook .... But not email and not here!!! Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!!! Sorry!

I am tired,y'all...and I am going to bed!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  05:23:43 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Ginny. Hope you will be feeling better soon. I am praying for you.

Marilyn, can you email me your fb name. I would like to be your friend and see some of your pictures. Wow! you were some worker yesterday. You really accomplished a lot.

Glenda thank you for sharing about the right and left brain. I, too, spent so many years using my left brain. I am really such a right brained person that I got ill. I love doing all my artistic things and like you I seem to want to engage that right brain all the time. Thank goodness for all those who tend to be left brained. They enjoy doing all the things that I am not good at.

Dianne, I remember how good it felt to be coming to the end of the school year. I used to tell myself I can finally get organized in the classroom and get that teacher's desk straightened up. So many papers to correct and the lesson plans. I taught special ed. and I loved those kids. Some of them were so smart and had such trouble with school work.

Holly you are so clever. What a neat way to make the angel wings. Your dolls are so adorable. Each one different and unique. I just love my so much. I put her right where I can see her everyday while I am in the kitchen.

Maybe more rain here today. We have such humidity along with 80's temps. It rained really nice yesterday afternoon. I finished part of the aprons and just have to put on the ties. Then I can send them to the lady who will give them out.

I will problably make leftovers for dinner. I still have some really good meat sauce and I am going to cook the yellow squash.

Take care all those who are hurting. I am praying for you.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  05:46:33 AM  Show Profile
hello gals, sorry i have not been on this lately but work is getting busy. we are closing 9 schools this year and my little department of 6 people (total including the school mail man) is having to do a lot of the work. sigh.
holly, you do such great things with the dolls! i love this last one too. ginny, sorry for your fall. i have fallen at work, face first on concrete so i kind of know how you feel...doesn't make you feel better i know but i am praying for you.
glenda, i know EXACTLY how you feel, last year i tried to have a garden and the drought just got all of my plants. i have thought about a raised garden but with my mom getting worse it would be hard to take care of it along with her, four fur babies, work and me. I just get so frustrated when i don't have any time to do my art--so much so that i often don't do anything at all but sit. i have started trying to organize my workroom so i can do quilts, crochet, beads, whatever when the mood strikes (or not) i just feel like i live on the left side of my brain more than i need to - so much so that every now and then i click on Fabric Therapy just to look at all the colorful quilts she has made and is making and feel revived.
well, my big boss is coming this morning so i need to get off and clean up some areas...
love to all of you!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  07:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Been a while since I've been here. I have been very busy with my veggies and flowers.
Marylyn - guess you're right about my purple flowers being iris plants. I saw some glads at the store the other night & I thought, well, that's not what I have. Oh well, at least they're purple!

Sorry to hear of the death next door. What a sad feeling that leaves. Makes me want to go visit neighbors around here & get to know them. I've lived in this house house about 20 years and only know the neighbors on either side of me. I don't know who lives across the street....I have a K9 cop that lives down the street about 4 or 5 house and across the street. There's an Indian family across the street & there's Bob (I only know his name because it's on his car license plate), there's some kids that use side walk chalk all the time........and on and on. I might as well be living in the middle of nowhere by myself! I have a hard time talking to people face to face. Guess I'm a hermit.

Garden is doing very well. Tomatoes, peppers, peas, beans, onions, kale, lettuce, herbs...everything growing and needing weeding. I'm going to make a 'MaryJane's Farmgirl Scarcrow'. I will earn a badge in doing so. I'll post a picture of her as soon as I get her done & up in the garden.

Oh, I found a couple of other girls (ladies) in my area that already have a MJF HenHouse club started & yesterday, I joined them. I am excited to be able to be around women who all share the same 'wanna to do stuff' plans!! More about that later.

Garden beckons.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  07:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning All

We found out that the property that we wanted has been pending sale since last August. it is suppose to close the end of this month. :( We are still looking. :(

Glenda that is truly a wonderful and very corect poster. I also understand where you are coming from. Go for your passion. That is what living is all about.

I need to up date on the Cooperative garden My DH and I were working on. It is pretty much not going to happen this year. If you remmeber pages back I asked for prayer for my friend that fell in a hole. She was the other woman in the co-op. She had to have surgery after all and too make a long story short they have not done anything. In fact all the seed we started have died. My Dh and I have kind of writen it off at least for this year. I will work on a garden at my house. At least we did not invest a lot or sign any contracts. It was a learning experience.

But all news is not bad.
We are headed to Portland OR. This weekend to help out some friends with their Alpacas. We have helped befor at other shows and it is lots of fun. Plus there will be a fiber fair as well. Lots of Alpace fiber to look at and play with. :)

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  11:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Penny, so good to see you - have a great Mother's Day weekend with your son.

Dianne -I've been "banging on the gates of heaven" (just love that phrase you've turned me onto) for your property acquisition. I'm sorry the piece you had hoped for is probably not going to happen but I know you'll find something even better (soon) and be so happy. Hang in there, gf.

Now the Fiber Fair in Portland sounds wonderful! I'm so glad you have an "upper."

Kathy, happy you found a Hen House. I'm sure you will be busy and filled with energy. No hermit for you!

Patty - WHERE do you get your energy, gf!!!! Oh, I keep forgetting - you are just a young'un. (Oh, and all that caffine!)

I remember my grandma out shoveling snow in her late 70's. The family would get on her case and she would just say. "Been doing it all my life - I quit doing and there goes my life."

You are inspiring me. Guess I should get a dehydrator?

Ginny - you've been in my thoughts. You have been since your prayer request a bit back. It seems to me that you've had more than your share lately. I won't try to touch on all you've put forth, but I've got it all in my heart and my prayer book. I hope your folks move goes seamlessly and that they are happier than they think they will be.

I've taken a couple of spills that were significant last year. One, tripped and in trying to protect my teeth (Holly) threw my head back. Bit my upper lip so it had a big black lump size of a bee on it for days. Also got a "bit of a whiplash" from throwing my head back. A couple of months later - tripped over a suitcase at my MIL's house and fell into a bookcase while also hitting a metal (sharp)bed post with my thigh. I was a bruised up and very sore mess. But nothing broke. I have since learned to pay attention to where I'm putting my feet! I can be so clumsy when I'm not paying attention.

Marylyn - The potty is so creative -- and I might add, practical. Marvelous solution to the problems of the "squat." Genius.

Janet - Enjoy your family and I'm betting you make great ribs on the Q! We will haul out the croquet set, too. Our next door neighbors (in Oakhurst) actually built a bocce ball court and have us over often. A rather elaborate set up. They have bocce ball parties. It's fun - but I've always thought the idea of bocce ball is that you can play it most anywhere. We have a horseshoe pit which the previous owners of our home put in. The kids have used it once. I think it was about 2 years ago. Or maybe it was last year.

Holly and Bunny - I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and make a Tee Shirt quilt. DH has so many t-shirts that they have taken over the available dresser space. Heaven forbid I pack them away or get rid of them - (I mean - he might loose 30 or 40 pounds and then they'd fit.) And then there is the sentimental aspect ... The (bicycle) "Death Ride" through the Sierras and other event t-shirts ... etc. But I think he would go for a quilt.

Gypsy Glenda ... I've been giving you a little time to get things squared away. I'm here and think of you daily. Just waiting for you to park your wagon and relax. About that cussing, though ... I still bet you are the Queen of Cuss - but you do it so beautifully that it's tough to think of your use of those "special" words as being in anything but a "passionate" sense.

Now, as for the Left Brain/Right Brain post ... I salute you! You always seem to have just the right tools to hand out to those who need them. I was going to replace my "Sure you could do it yourself. But when?" sign - with my new one that says "She thought she could - so she did." I will add Right Brain/Left Brain to that. Inspirational! I've read a lot about both over the course of my many years. I'm hoping I have a reasonably healthy mix of Right Brain/Left Brain. And whatever my Left Brain is lacking I can assure you that Larry makes up for - in spades! Sometimes he makes me so mad with "Logic" - and then he winks at me and I have to laugh. *^&%*#

Nancy - Check your e-mail. The pictures were wonderful!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  11:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon, gfs...husband and I went up to mow, weed, and spruce up where the barbeque is going to be held...we decided to set up the crochet set...well, the game was on!! He beat me 2out of 3 games, but what fun!!! We spent more time hitting each other than going through the wickets!! But we finished! And we finished the yard work! Hehehe

Dianne, I am so sorry about the property...but a better one will come along and it will be perfect!

Wow, Kathy, a Farmgirl chapter right where you live!!!! How awesome!!!

Gotta run!!!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  1:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, Darlys, I'm gonna retire into the right brain totally and to @#$!! with the left. Think I've had enough of that to last me the rest of this lifetime. And I'm also going to leave all the work to Patty and Marilyn, those two just wear me OUT with all they do. there is another saying on Pinterest that goes "There's a difference between quitting and knowing when you've had enough". I think I could get enough $ out of my farm to spend quite a few days and nights sitting on the beach somewhere, letting those cabana boys bring me something cool to drink, you know, the ones with salt around the rim of the glass. After that, I could become my children's problem.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on May 09 2012 1:28:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  4:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Now some people are calling Ginny's doll an angel and I thought it was Ginny dancing in her Rio outfit or her walking outfit with all the feathers and sparkles. But, none the less she was fun to make. All of them have been fun to make and with each one I get a little more adventurous.

Glenda I do like the right brain left brain picture. I sent it on to other people i know. yes, I struggle with the needs of both sides of my brain. When I was growing up in our house the science and math were valued above all else. The art was thought to be nice but not particularly of any value. I never thought I was any good at it. The art teachers in school did not appreciate my talents. Now that I am older I find that I really am quite good at 3 D art and really enjoy it. I, however, have very little time for it so the pieces I make I prize and do not want to give them or sell them to people who do not appreciate the effort. For example, the children at home do not appreciate my creations. The children who are grown and live away do, so I sew for them. The dolls I make for all of you. A bit at a time to bring joy.

and Nancy I gave her blue lace underpants just for you. lol

Today was warm and muggy. Temperatures in the sixities and humidity. In the afternoon I thought I would try to clean the rosa rugosa out of the front garden where it has spread. Well, one thing led to another and I was digging jerusalem artichokes out of the back of the garden near the fence where they have spread. I knew there were some there but not that many. I have so many that we had them for supper and I have many many to plant tomorrow someplace else. I like them because they flower well after everything else has died off in the fall. They look like little sunflowers on top of ten foot stems.

I have to go pick up someone at the train station tonight so I will leave you now.
Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening, Just finished supper. Butchered roosters today so made chicken and noodles. It was pretty quick and easy. Dr appointment this morning. Blood pressure is staying under control. I don't have to go back to this dr for another 3 months. Yippee! However I still have the stress test next Monday. I went to the hearing dr. with my mom yesterday. The poor guy was giving her a hearing test with the big headset on her head. All the sudden, mom got a "Charley Horse" in her leg and stood up and started screaming and moaning. Poor mom has been having terrible leg cramps. But seriously, I had to laugh. She startled the poor guy so bad, he jumped up and jumped back. He reached up quickly and took off the headset and jumped right back. He must have thought he did something wrong. I laughed so hard. You would have had to been there to see it. I laugh as I type this. It was so funny.

Janet- That is so sad. And 54 years old is so young. I will for sure say a prayer for the family. I bought a bag of dehydrated soup veggies recently Janet, and am trying to replicate it. After I get the veggies dried I will look for a recipe to put them all together. The bag I bought from the bulk food store consist of veggies, corn starch and a preservative. I received the package today! I loved everything. Thanks so much.

Dianne- Praying that things work out for another piece of property. I am sure something will come along.

Ginny- Heal quickly. I am so sorry to hear of your fall. The doll from Holly is beautiful!

Glenda- I'll share all the veggies, chicken and quail you need. :) However I did here on the radio that if you are a prepper the 2 things you need most are ammo and liquor. The liquor to barter with. The worse thing for our newly refinished hardwood floors were the little pieces of gravel that come in on shoes. Hubby is my worse offender.

Penny- My back is feeling no pain. The cortisone shot did wonders! I am so happy your son will be home on mother's day. What a wonderful Mother's Day gift.

Kathy- Enjoy the Farmgirl group. We have so much fun with ours!

Holly- I soooo appreciate your talents. I LOVE my "Patty" doll so much. I have 2 old window screens hanging on my dining room wall that I hang my Christmas and birthday cards on. I hung the wonderful gifts from my wonderful farmgirl friends on and next year I may have to find another place for Christmas cards.

Darlys, I think I have more drive than energy. I just keep pushing. Hubby was sick the last 4 days and now I have his cold. We dodged colds and flu all winter and now get hit. I didn't feel like butchering roosters today, nor did I feel like butchering quail. But they are done. Tomorrow I will clean out coops, providing my head will stay on my shoulders. Cuz right now it feels like if I just touch it, it will roll off.

Well, hubby just came back from DQ. I am going to eat some ice cream and then get my butt in bed with this cold.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  7:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I am a retired special needs teacher also. I sure do miss the kids but will never miss the politics of the schools I taught in. Getting ready for a new school year and closing up for the summer required a lot of extra work.

Glenda, thanks for the post of the right and left brain. It sure is easy to understand why I get bent out of shape when I don't have time to be creative. People think I'm selfish with my time, but I am now using the "me time" I have saved up all these years. By the way Glenda, I do so enjoy your posts. It's always fun reading about you and your activities.

I have not been feeling well this week, but have been able to get a few things done. I worked up some rhubarb yesterday. Today I started a quilted wall hanging. I have had the kit for 2 years so decided to get at it. I usually don't use kits, but found this one while on vacation. Kits limit my creativity. Even when I use patterns, I usuall change them up to please myself. Not much I can do with this kit except "git er done". I'll use it for a gift when I find the right person to give it to. Had 2 church meetings back-to-back this evening. I had all I could do not to fall asleep during the second one. Why I agreed to be on administrative council is beyond me!

It is lovely having so many chicks pop back on again. We are all busy doing the things we love.

Holly - I'm sorry I was never able to post pictures of the little doll you sent me. It is one of my favorite things. I just wish I could share it with the rest of you gals. I AM DONE TRYING TO POST PICTURES ON THIS SIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

taa taa chickie poos. You all behave yourselves now, and don't forget to do something nice for someone else tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  7:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Good evening girls. We finally saw the sun today!!!! But it was windy, so felt cold out, but the good news is it is supposed to be nicer tomorrow. I just may be able to get out and work in the gardens and the camper? The gardens right now are pretty wet. My flower seeds that I planted a little over a week ago are starting to sprout. Nice to see new life starting!!!
Sounds like everyone is so busy right now. Be sure to take time to smell the roses!!!
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  9:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Thelma, and all for your comments. I'm glad so many of you liked the left brain/right brain thing. To me, it just says it all. An "aha" moment.

I have two very busy days ahead of me and it is supposed to be pouring down rain so I do not look forward to it.

But now I have a question for Marilyn. Marilyn, are you sure you aren't Martha Stewart posing as Marilyn to be incognito? I've been impressed with you for a while, but now you IRON too? That, girlfriend, is just over the top. Ironing for me is an act of desperation saved for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I wear mostly linen in the summer so I can at least be fashionably wrinkled.

I was also pleasantly surprised to learn of several of you working with the special ed kids. My daughter is about 4'8" and sometimes she has to wrestle these poor little kids to the ground when they become violent, she has been hit a couple of times, but my little girl has done amazing work with these kids, she loves each and every one of them, she grieves over them and her heart breaks for them, some of them she wants to bring home with her when she sees what horrible living conditions they have to deal with. And when she gets through to one of them, and they do the work and pass the tests and they are so proud of themselves finally, she comes home and cries with happiness. Some of her issues are not with the kids at all, but with the other teachers, believe it or not, who do not "get" special ed and don't want them in their classroom. It's just that 5 years in a very poor school riddled with drugs and other dreadful things, these kids don't have much of a chance, and every one she can save, and every parent she can get through to makes her so happy. But by the end of the school year she is beyond exhaustion. Not just from the kids but also from all the paperwork and bureaucratic @#$ you other teachers will relate. Her "right brain" creative side is theater, so every summer she does community theater. I often wonder why she works so hard at school all year and then takes on these huge projects in theater every summer and now I totally understand, it is that right brain she needs for balance in her life.
Well, I went out for Chinese food tonight and suddenly realize it is 11:00 pm and I have to get up in 6 hours, so good nite all.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on May 09 2012 9:06:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  05:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs! Well, it is back to work for me today! After working my buns off on my days off...I fell asleep on the couch at 8 o'clock last night! I meant to make candles last night, oh well, I guess they can wait until Monday! Hehehe

Oh, Glenda, no, I am no Martha , but I appreciate the thought...your words made me smile, because no one has ever accused me of that! Hehehe...it is just that this 'old-fashioned barbeque picnic' I am planning is next Tuesday and I want it to be nice and relaxing for my friends and myself and there are so many details...and I don't want to wait until the last minute to try to get everything done!

Oh, Patty, you're poor mother!!! I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that exam room!!! My grandmother used to get Charlie horses in her legs as well...not fun; however the circumstances and other people reactions I remember well! I hope I am not bombarding your Facebook with too many pics..; )

Yesterday, another set of twins were born!!! Babies and momma are doing well....goats!

I hope all who are in pain find relief, as well as all who are too busy! Y'all have a wonderful day!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  05:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. So good to see so many of you gf posting.

Ginny you continue to be in my prayers. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Dianne I am sorry to hear about the property difficulty. I am sure that something better is in store and you will find it soon. It can be so frustrating to be looking and have disappointments.

Kathy lucky you finding a group nearby. You will fit right in and have lots to share. I, too, sometimes feel like a hermit. I never get bored being by myself. I used to worry that I was not outgoing enough. I made myself join the sewing group so I would get out and meet some people who share my interest.

Holly, you are soooo wonderful. I noticed the little blue lace undies on my doll and thought how cute it was that you did that. Her yellow hat and the little flowers you put on it are so sweet. I love you, girl. I know what you mean when you say that your artistic endeavers were not appreciated while you were in school. Most teachers put the emphasis on left brain activities. I had reading problems while in school and I think some of my teachers thought I was just some dumb kid. I had a very left brained brother who did so well and they compared me with him. I am very, very, right brained and wish I was more balanced sometimes. I hate doing the right brained things even though I know I have to do them.

Darlys, loved talking with you yesterday. You are always so special to me and I enjoy sharing with you. I have my blue hat for June and I will be wearing blue also.

Janie, so good to hear from you. You are so busy. I am praying for your mother and you. I know how crazy it can get in the sewing/art-craft areas. Mine is so full of things right now. I really want to get rid of some of the stuff but then I might want it later. It is kind of like my DH with his clothes. He has so many things that he no longer wears. I have been able to "sneak" a few out to give away. He never even misses them. :)

Glenda, love you and the poster. How well it is done. My right brain loves the bold colors and I love being in my right brain. It is so comfortable there. Unfortunately, I have that left brain always telling me that I "should" this and "have to" that. I guess life would be awful without the left brained people to keep things in order. Don't look at me, giggle, I am not very good at organization!

Thelma, hope you will be feeling better soon. I remember so well all the politics and stupidity of the public school system in CA. Guess it is that way most everywhere. Too bad the kids have to suffer for some the choices the big wigs make. I am using beginner and easy patterns to make my quilts so far. At our group we are making a complicated quilt called the mystery quilt. I will post a picture of it when it is finished. I am going to give it to my niece for Christmas.

Looks like a good day outside so far. Hope the temperature stays in the 70's. I am going to finish my Book of Awesome this week. I started reading it for one of the MJF badges and love it. I am going to pass it on so it can be enjoyed by another MJF girl.

Hugs and squeezies to you all.

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  06:47:34 AM  Show Profile
I think I most definitely live in my right brain. I leave all that left brain nonsense to my hubby, who is always in his left brain. Actually, I like to say "I am out of my mind right now, so please leave a message & I'll get back to you later!" That used to be the voice mail message on my home phone when we had a home phone. Since we all have cell phones, it just didn't make 'cents' to keep it.

You girls all talking about special ed kids got me thinking..
Ladies, I'd like to introduce you to my youngest daughter, Jenny.

When Jenny was 5 years old, she go hit by a truck crossing the street. (house on one side, park on the other). She was thrown around 40 feet. She was hit hard enough to knock her shoes off. One of which we never found.
She was expected to be in intensive care for 2 weeks, but was in a regular room in 4 days. She was expected to be in hospital for at least a month, but was home in 9 days. Since her pelvis was broken on both sides, they sent her home with a wheel chair.
She'd had severe concussion, lots of bruises and road rash and it took us weeks to get all the gravel out of her poor little back. Drs said she would probably need the wheelchair for 6 months, but we finally sent it back after a couple of weeks, since she'd rather use it to play with or her sisters would race it down the hill. She has permanent brain damage, a place about the size of a silver dollar on the back of her head where no hair grows, a couple of 'ripple' scars on her back, and due to the pelvis damage, she can't skip.

Last year when she was tested (again), she has the brain function of a 12-13 year old, with abilities up to 16 years old. Her body is 26. I get to live with a teenager.......always.

The school just thought she was fooling around or just would rather play than do school work. She barely made it out of the 5th grade with a 'just passing' grade. I kept telling them that she belonged in some special ed class, but they kept telling me that they were the professionals & let them do their jobs!!

It wasn't until she was in the 9th grade, when in the lunch line, somebody pushed her & said 'get moving stupid', that she pushed back. The other kid fell & caused a big stink & said Jenny started it and bla bla bla. Lucky for Jenny, she had a guardian angel watching from a few kids back who stood up and told the truth. The school had Jenny speak to their phych who promptly said she should be in the special ed program. Finally somebody listened. She made it through high school and actually got to walk across the stage to collect her diploma, which is actually just a certificate of attendance. She never passed. I feel like the school system let her and us down but what can you do?

She is very creative. She loves to decorate our home for holidays. She builds and paints bird houses and bird feeders.

She is functional enough to be left on her own and she could live alone, but I think she just likes me around as company. She helps me out in my garden even though she hates working in the dirt and complains all the time. She does her own laundry and takes care of the dogs. She even trained Star to 'close the back door'!!

She if very in to learning about American Indians and is making a diorama box with wigwams, little fire pits & and stream complete with canoe. She gets these ideas and for weeks, that's all we hear about. She goes to the library about twice a week or more. She has a motorized scooter and when the library was closer, she went by herself, but after they moved it, she won't scoot that far.

God.....Have I rambled enough for one day???

I have to get out in my garden for there lies my comfort & my retreat away from everything else. Nowhere can man be closer to God than in a garden.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  08:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Kathy, what a lovely daughter you have...and what a heart wrenching story of her life. Of course, I am sure by this time it is not as heart wrenching to you as in the beginning. My youngest boy was run over as a two year old and I saw that bright learning spark go out in his eyes...probably only a look that a mother would know. He never became the man I knew he could be, he always had learning difficulties. So sad...

Hope I am not boring y'all...however, this morning another set of twins were born!!!! Yipppeeee!!! Both doing well, as is their mother! Goat bearing is over...3 sets of twins!!! Three nannies and three billies!

Oh, Glenda, I forgot to mention that I loved the left-brain/right-brain poster...it makes the right look so much more interesting! Hehehe...which am I? I would like to think I am organized, analytical, and smart...but I look at my home and I think I am not organized at all, I just want to be!!! I have a home office which I cannot even get into for all the projects and art supplies...now I want to clean it out and turn it into a sewing and craft room, maybe my next project...y'all will be the first to know!!

Gotta run...

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi All

Darlys thanks for "banging on the gates of heaven" I know God has a place in mind (it is prbably far better than anything we have seen so far) and we just need to be ready when it becomes available.

Patty I just hate it when my DH gets sick, cause I know I will get it too. Hope you get better quickly.

Thelma Hope you get to feeling better quicly.

Kathy You have a wonderful blessing in your daughter. I am sorry that the school system let you and your daughter down. I have seen it many times. Thinge are getting better but it is taking a long time.

Marylyn my hart breaks for you. You are right that sparkle in the eye is a look that only a mother can see. I watched that sparkle leave my son's eyes when they put him in special ed classes that did not teach just baby sat the students.

Ok let me wipe my eyes. Now on a brighter note.
The sun is shinning and it is warm and beautiful. I really need to get some things done out side. I kind of put that off when I thought we might get the property. Silly Me! LOL

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy, thank you for sharing Jenny with us. Just reading your post has made me so angry I could spit!!!!! Why are there so many teachers in this world who are there for the paycheck and social life with other teachers instead of for the kids! I used to get so tired of some teachers treating me like a second class citizen because I taught "those kids". One of the worst offenders now has a grandchild who is a special needs baby. I wonder how she is handling that! You would not believe some of the conversations in the teachers' lounge or work areas. I can't believe how some kids were destroyed because some teacher didn't like them and planted negative seeds for the other teachers to harvest. I never went to the lounge unless I had to speak directly to someone who was there. Ok. I'm 3 years retired and still can't get past this. thanks for letting me vent!!!!!

Kathy. please ask Jenny if she would like to be my penpal? I would love to have her in my life.

I was feeling pretty good this morning so decided to do some weeding. About an hour later I was so exhausted I almost didn't make it back to the house. I go to Mayo Clinic the Tuesday after Memorial Day. I hope the doctors there will have some answers to why my blood is so out of wack. This is getting very annoying. I am even afraid to drive as the tiredness comes on so quickly.

Sounds like many of us are right brained. I used to let Darwin take care of all our business needs, pay the bills, do the taxes, deal with insurance - things like that. When he had his stroke 6 years ago I had to learn how to do everything. Do yourself a favor ladies and learn to do these things while you can still ask questions (Darwin hasn't been able to speak for the last 6 years.) don't feel sorry for us we are just fine! We have been married for 42 years (43 in August) and have a great life together. God has truly blessed us.

I'm headed for the sofa for a short nap and then out to pick up my tools. taa taa chickie poos. keep your posts coming

Edited by - Thelma on May 10 2012 2:08:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page