Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  07:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Debra, I just recently had a case of the shingles, myself; it was extremely unpleasant. Did the dr tell you anything about it? It's good you are keeping her at home, because she is contagious. Its the same virus that causes chicken pox and while the sores are open and weepy she is contagious. Now anyone exposed to her who has had the chicken pox do not need to worry; those who haven't could only get the chicken pox. It can take up to 3 weeks or so, depending on how bad her break-out is, for it to be completely gone; I sure hope to gets to feeling better sooner, though. You go right ahead and enjoy that beautiful day; you so deserve it!

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  07:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I didn't know that she could be contageous. I have had the chicken pox when small so could I get them again? The dr gave her anti bacteria cream to use along with the medication. Thanks for the info. It is appreciated.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  08:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Debra, it isn't likely that you will get it. No problem. Also, If you can get to homeopathic dr...mine gave me rhus tox. and hypericum and it help a lot with the itching and it went away in about 2 weeks... You are very welcome; anything I can do to ease suffering, I will do it. Even if I have to walk to Georgia; if that's what you need, I'll do it...it might take me a while, but, I'm here for you. :)

Big hugs are coming your way...can you feel them? *giggle*

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  08:48:14 AM  Show Profile
OOOOh I love a Big Hug....Thank you,
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  08:50:00 AM  Show Profile
You bet! There's more where those came from too!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Just a short hello. I didn't realize that getting a tooth pulled could lay me out the way it did. I am hoping for an awesome day tomorrow even though I will be going to the medical center to have the stitches removed from my forhead. What a week I have had.

I just loved the photography class. Today I went out and took about a dozen photos for my assignment. I wanted a white ground cover, but the storm went around us again. I didn't know there was so much involved in taken great photos. i am not planning on going into business, I just want a great camera so I can noodle around with it.

About my paper - the paper was not rude, just the delivery man. I think the gal who answered the phone was trying to be witty. I suspect the delivery guy was called on the carpet for not delviering the paper. We get a weekly small community paper that reports school events, births, deaths, weddings and what is happening in and around the community. Not worth the money, but interesting to a point. I decided to get a daily paper when I missed a funeral because I didn't know the person had passed. I should have called on the family. Friends assumed that we had heard about the tragedy so no one called. If I use coupons from the paper it defrays the cost.

Well back to the sofa. I am just so weak and worn out - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. taa taa

Edited by - Thelma on Feb 23 2012 4:40:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh you poor thing. I hate going to the dentist and to have a tooth pulled. I am sorry that you are feeling bad. I hope that you can get a good nights rest and will feel a little better tomorrow. Have a good night.
I like our community paper. It small but has the happenings going on. I am in the habit of reading it and I like that. If ours isn't delivered we are on the phone cpmplaining. Hard to get through the day without the paper. Creatures of habit.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Well I guess I'm a terrorist too! They will have to come through my ruger though before I let them see my food storage or should I say pantry. Don't they know any self sufficient Yankee is going to have food stored for those winter storms that last from October to April! LOL.

I'm all for a virtual walk Holly and since I'm at the Northeast part of the USA I'd be happy to start it. Just tell me when and what to do! There is another farmgirl just down the road from me name Susan, maybe she'd like to join us.

As for Thelma's doll, I have to go back and find out what it is first.

Glenda, what is going on with you that you are going to Dr.? Hope it's not serious. How is your brother doing? You mentioned all the rain (or was it a drought?) my sister that is with my folks right now lives on a lake in Willis, TX and said they normally don't have a beach and presently have an 8 foot one. Of course she had left before all the rain started.

Kathryn, I LOVE going to Lowe's or Home Depot! I am the person in our home that does construction work, not the hubby. Although my bunny Oggie does a lot of Bunstruction when I let him, lol! Last year I took out a brick wall in my dining room that use to have a wood stove and put up bead board 3/4 of the way up the wall and then painted the top a deep blue. I'll have to take a picture and show you all.

Janet - I'm sorry to hear you are not doing well because of the weather and time of year. I started taking 5000 mg of Vitamin D everyday as a friend who is a nutritionist told me because of the way the earth sits on it's axes we don't get enough daily. It may be like that for you too since you live in Michigan. After a couple of weeks I really could tell the difference, whether it was for real or all in my head, I don't know, but you might try it and find out!

Time to go see some of those pictures I missed!

Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Nancy and Darlys, thank you so much for your internet orders from my website. I'm so jazzed! My phone died on Monday and I had to buy a new one with money I really didn't have. So thanks for buying me a new phone! My lifeline is intact. Darlys, you should have your order any day now. Nancy the mail lady is picking yours up tomorrow morning. I learned today I can print out the shipping lables, pay for them via paypal and have the mail lady pick the package up off my porch. how is that for maximum laziness. So cool!

Later farmgirls.. stay healthy and if not... get well soon!! Don't make me come out there. (where ever you are....)

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I had such a great visit with Holly a couple of days ago. She called to check up on me and it was wonderful. For an auditory person like me - hearing someone's voice is theraputic in itself. And, Holly, you nailed it when you wrote on 2/19 about all of us being "a bit crazy and a bit needy of attention, approval, kindness....and about some of the shared experiences ... and about not feeling alone anymore. The friendship factor really goes deep as relationships are formed over bits and pieces of the sharing here. By the way, I just noticed that Ginny would like to start the virtual journey cross country. That could be very practical.

Glenda, while you were watching exercise videos and not losing weight - I was reading all the articles and books on exercise/weight loss and I didn't lose a pound either. You'd think that turning all those pages would count for something! However, now that you are officially "Gypsy Glenda" I expect we will be seeing pictures of you dancing around a fire with bells on your fingers and bells on your toes (... and we will have music wherever you go ....) Dancing counts as exercise!
Your home looks like a villa from a distance. How beautiful! The views are gorgeous. And the flowers are lovely, too! Would still like to try to google-earth you.
P.S. Yes, I am of the shorthand generation. But I wasn't very good at it.
Hey, I laughed until my stomach hurt over your marketing plan for Thelma's newsboxes. I agree.
Don't miss this incredible, limited time opportunity! Yes, it's true - only $19.95 for TWO beautiful, genuine Thelma Adams newsboxes. Plus shipping and handling. But HURRY - don't miss out. Call NOW!

I have noted the page your green bean process is on. I memorized it - but just in case I forget ....195

Patty - What sweet pictures of the baby pigeon!
The doctor said I should be near normal by mid-March. I should get an all-clear from her on March 7th. Although I will still have to take things easy I should be able to get around easily. So, if you are flying in to SJC ... I could pick you up ... perhaps (depending on my travel-ability) even take you to Monterey. Or, we could enjoy lunch (or whatever depending on when you land) and your DD could pick you up from our visit. Depending on her health, of course! Please let us know soon what the tests reveal. Will be praying for her for sure.

Judy & Patsy, I've been meaning to send your mama a note. Bless her heart. I hope she gets better soon. Now that I'm beginning to feel a bit perkier (excluding last night) I'm hoping to catch up here and get a few things done on the domestic front. That includes writing notes to folks. Here's hoping your weather gets milder and that you stay well!

It is currently 73 and no wind. Windows are open to let the fresh air in. No rain in sight (and we need it). Our peach tree in front of the kitchen window is budding and a few flowerlets have burst out. A day or two and I'll snag a photo. I'm going to have to pick some lemons, too. They are hanging heavy on the branches.

Welcome Ruth Ann! I haven't been on for a bit ... but energy is slowly returning. These women are amazing.

Thelma - I thought I'd thanked you for the wonderful valentine ... but my brain was burping. Thank you so much. And while I'm thinking of it. Am loving the idea of coffee cans to capture the Sunday paper. Very creative! (Even if the newspaper folks don't think so.) I hope your dental appointment was "easy" and pray all else went smoothly as well. Hey, how did the photography class go? Hope your weather held until you got home. I wish there were art & craft classes around here somewhere. Problem for me has always been that the things I'm really investing time in are always on a weekend (workshop-type) and we are always in Oakhurst. I would pour over community catalogs and inevitably find wonderful classes - on Saturday 10-4. Oh well.

Dianne - Montevideo is a couple of hours west of Minneapolis. I know approximately where it is. Sounds like you are really enjoying your friend's place. Is that the same place that you are setting up the co-op?

Debra .. praying loudly for your husband and you, too. You had been on my mind and I am so sad that this is what was happening and we didn't know. The farmgirl prayers are potent, honey, we'll shore you up while God strengthens you both.

Penny - prayers for your brother with cancer and Hepititis C ... as well as for your continuing to be smoke free. I forgot to mention to you that when I prayed it would be easy ... I also prayed I wouldn't start again. (I think I had quit at least a dozen times before that.) In any event, gf, you are always in my prayers. Posting pretzel pictures that are that delish-looking oughta be a sin. I just gotta get up and going baking again - soon!

Bunny, I just received the fabric! It is even more beautiful than the pictures. I may have to order more. Thank you so much! It's gorgeous - gorgeous. Quiltin' girlfriends, if you want a fabric "fix" - check out bunnyrose.com. The selection is limited to really lovely, high quality fabric.

Kathryn, Cool note about the coke. Does it work for anything else? I'm crossing my fingers for you -- that the new people are nice and let you have your pallets.

Ginny - I am so sorry for what your mom, dad and family have been going through! I hope you can find some workable solution to the situation. It is untenable. And I have to echo what Holly said about being displaced. I guess I have been extremely fortunate as my experience with Kaiser Permanente has only been positive. But I have heard other stories that were not as upbeat. I suppose you can have not-very-perfect medical attention anywhere! But it is really maddening when it is happening to you or those you love. My prayers are with you.

Okay - Fat Tuesday is gone, Ash Wednesday is gone and Lent is officially in progress. I have gotten the ashes for more years than I can remember - and didn't this year. But it's okay. We've been a bit slip-shod about getting to church on Sundays this past year, too. God understands that we'll get back to it as soon as we are firmly ensconced in Oakhurst. Thirty years ago I gave up smoking for Lent. I figured that should count for giving up anything for life. But, a few years ago, DH and I gave up potatoes for Lent. It was interesting how many times cafes, restaurants, etc. didn't believe we really didn't want potatoes and served French fries or potato chips anyway.

I'm being "allowed" to make a meatloaf tonight. Red potatoes & creamed peas. Also, think I'll toss in a peach cobbler. DH will love that enough to forgive me for lifting a finger.

Well, my feisty, funny, fabulous farmgirl friends I'm off for now. I'm so close to being caught up that I'm almost - that's almost - guilt free.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  7:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Hello gfs

Working backwards--Darlys I sent you an email earlier today, looks like about the time you were posting.
Actually I love to dance but I can never find a partner. Sweet Ed tried but his balance is gone. So is mine somewhat- but I might try to hunt up an old photo of when I was doing a little dancing---however I do sorta have a problem with the bells on my toes, you see I only have 9 toes. Melanoma got one of them. I keep meaning to get a silver one made - maybe I will this year. Yea, an odd place to have it. Guess I missed my toes with the sunscreen. Or maybe it was walking barefoot as a kid in the fields that had been sprayed with DDT.

Ginny we have rain and drought, after all this is texas where it is always too something--too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry. last year and for several years we have been in a drought situation, but last year reached critical and we had a lot of fires and the lakes are critically low. this winter we seem to be getting a lot of slow rain and it is wonderful. I used to start complaining if it rained 3 days in a row because I am definitely a sunshine person, but never again. today was 91 degrees according to my smart phone and its still february--i would really like to live somewhere that has 4 real seasons. Regarding your question about my health I'm holding together real well on the outside but apparently not so much on the inside. I need 3 surgeries, a hiatial hernia, an ovarian cyst, and a bladder re-do. Shouldn't be a real big deal but the timing is really bad. Had the last test they want today and dr won't get report for 24 hrs so that means I have time to go to my home and get my mail and check on things. They are trying to rush it up because I am in a good deal of pain due to the hernia - about 1/3 of my stomach is up in the esophagus and keeps me feeling pretty rotten, altho I've lost about 5 pounds from this just the past few weeks- so I can stop watching exercise videos?

I've never had a photography class or a computer class--guess that explains a lot, now that I think about it. hmmmm
Thelma, hope you get to feeling better real fast. I remember when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, it was awful. And please keep us posted about the photography class, I always meant to take one, and take photoshop to learn what to do with them, but I've just never done it. The new cameras have so many automatic settings and I'm just lazy I guess. I do think the art classes I've taken over the years probably help to "see" some great shots.

Kathryn I can tell you are already a great addition to this group - I appreciate your sharing and your willingness to help anybody you can.

Dianne, keep us posted about Molly and Dolly, pics too if you can. I am like you, I would like to try spinning (as if I need another hobby) just to see if I'm missing anything but don't want to make a big investment. this way you get the fun of having the bunnies for pets even if you decide the spinning isn't for you.

Bunny I'm jealous - if Darlys got fabric, I want fabric too. I have to figure out where to have it sent, since I'm now the wandering gypsy. Between my house,Ed's house, mom's house, my brother's house, my daughter's house, I sometimes wake up in the morning and for just a second have to think where I am.
Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 23 2012 8:50:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  8:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, I'm so glad you liked the fabric. I had another farm girl here order some too. Then I got a third order just a few minutes ago. Yipeeee! I was ready to take the site down. But you wouldn't believe all the fabric I still have from my shop. I just might put some more online. I keep procrastinating on putting some of my made stuff on. I have a few purses, tea pouches and a few other little things I make. You made my day! Thank you.

Glenda, 91 degrees in February.. not good. I guess I won't be moving to Texas anytime soon. I don't do well in heat.
I sure hope you get all your innards fixed up soon. Any one of those issues would be no fun. Be praying for you.

Peggy, how are you doing? I think we all missed you big time. Hope you are healing up.

Well, thinking about going to be early. I have an appointment with the school counselor to help me decide on next quarter's classes. I get so confused with all the choices. I want to make sure I take the right classes at the right time.

Nite all!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  9:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Bunny I just placed an order for fabric, but I was also wondering if you would have an interest in making some of those beautiful crocheted flowers to sell. I got a plain white knitted scarf for Christmas that needs a little bling. Could you make some crochetd flowers to go on it or is that not what you do? I don't want to learn how to to that right now, too much going on. Just a thought. no worries if you dont have time or not into that sort of thing.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Fabric! Ugh! If only...*heavy sigh* I was at Wal Mart last night and they are really kicking the gardening department; rose bushes, bulbs, seeds, berry bushes, and tress. It's killing me! I really like my little house, I do and I'm so grateful my friend lets me live there for free, but...there's not much going on outside. No flowers at all. Only a couple apple "bushes" and a couple of vines, I think one is grapes; not sure about the other. I at least need to get my daughter to bring my post over, then I get something started... I'm saving some jars and some lids to start some seeds in...maybe I'll beg the kid for some soil too, huh? lol

Thelma, I had the doc explain to me why a tooth is hazardous waste, so I get that part now, but it's your tooth for crying out loud, you should be able to do with whatever you want. The last time I had a tooth out was about 15 years ago, I think...? It was a wisdom tooth and it was bad. The roots were hooked and the dentist kept leaving the room and coming back with more instruments and more people. I told him he would make a great labor coach; "we're almost done, dear...you're doing great..." Yeah 3 hours and a ton of little pieces later, I was done! *shivers* Feel better!

Ginny, I know! I go to Lowes whenever I'm feeling down; I can only "window" shop, but I get myself out of the doldrums dreaming up all the things I'm going to do to my little house...someday. We don't have a Home Depot close to where I live, or I'd go there too. lol I would love to see what you've done; it sounds beautiful!

Darlys, that coke thing? I want more stuff like that too. I used to have a ton, but I've forgotten most of them, as I haven't had much use for them since my kids have grown. Sometimes, when people are talking to me, something they say will trigger one, so they are still in my brain, somewhere, but they are hiding...Here's one, see...mentioning the kids triggered it lol... Use "simple green" as a spot remover for fabric. It works really well on most stains and it doesn't have a bunch of chemicals in it either.

Ahhhh, shucks, Glenda, *blushing and shuffling feet* thanks! I'm glad I've found a place where I "fit." Believe me, it hasn't been easy. I either get strange looks, because my "freak flag" is waving a bit too wildly or I get laughed at; when I haven't really done or said anything funny. I am a "freak" and I'm not afraid to admit it, but it's nice to accepted in all my glorious "freakiness! So thanks everyone!

I like to read; haha, okay, that's putting it a bit mildly...I read a lot...and not just novels...okay, here's a "freak" thing, I read dictionaries and encyclopedias... for entertainment! I will study and research everything and anything. I maintain the information...somewhere in my brain...and while I can't always remember where I read it or when anymore, it is often triggered in conversation. So if I'm spouting some my stored info, I'm not trying to be a "know it all" and by all means if my info is out-dated...up-date me, please. Also, feel free to roll your eyes when I say..."I read something about..." Most people do. lol Just remember..."FREAK"!! Have a great day GF's.

Sister #3282

Edited by - Cooknnana on Feb 24 2012 08:36:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Katheryn please tell me you are joking!! Have the people I know have pantries full. Buy in bulk is what places like CostCo are all about. Are they going to put everyone who shops there or at wharehouse food stores on the list? That will be a very looooong list!

Holly what breed of chickens are you looking to raise for eggs? I have Delawares and Buckeyes, both heritage breeds. They do well all year, even in the winter. Just a thought.

Debra keeping your DH in prayer and I will add your momma.

We are having a Birthday lunch, at work, for all the Feb birthdays. I need to go help set up. Will catch up later.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  11:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Dianne, it is. I know, it's the craziest thing I've heard yet. Millions of people stock up; I don't see it being a feasible undertaking to investigate every one of them, not to mention, costly, Good use of taxpayer dollars, huh. Maybe it'll be a combination of all their new criteria, like buying a cup of coffee and paying for it with cash...lol Yea, that's one of them too; insane, isn't it> And frightening.

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  11:15:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh and here's the real kicker...they want us to report these "suspicious behaviors" on our neighbors. Oh, Oh, Oh, and listen to this: FEMA just purchased billions of dollars worth of foodstuffs; soooo, should we report them for suspicious, activity? Are they terrorists? Hmmmmm

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  2:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

I am gone for a couple of hours and there is another page.
I may never catch up.LOL

Lets see I was at the top of 198. 198 my goodness we have almost hit 200 pages. Wow We are a chatty group.

Thelma take it easy and rest. My DH is in bed for at least a day or two when he gets teeth pulled. Me I can have a root canal done and keep on going. Things affect people differently.

Darlys There are actually 2 different friends that we have been helping. One is where we are setting up the co-op. The other bought land with no buildings so several of us have been helping them build shelters for their animals. It keeps us busy but that is the way we like it. Just need to remember to set time out for our yard!!

Glenda I am planning on clipping the bunnies this weekend. I will get before and after shots. They are so pretty that I hate to clip them. If I don't they just get all matted an nasty, so clip it is.

Bunny please put more fabric on line if you get time. I would love to order some. Do you have any flannel? I have to do a denim and flannel quilt for DD and SDL.

Kathryn if I reported everyone who stocks up half or better of the people in the the town I live in would be reported on! Including me. Should I turn myself in? Friends and I are planning a big garden with the idea of stocking up and selling the extra. We are getting lots of meat chickens to raise to stock our freezer. Oh my am I a terrorist or just smart enough to do what people have done for generations. "Be prerared!"

Ok off that subject. They are probably checking all of our posts and will be visiting us!! LOl

Any way it is bright and sunny still. They are predicting rain / snow for Saturday. Of course that is one of my days off.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  3:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Exactly, Dianne, exactly! We'd have to turn in practically everyone we know! Ridiculous, huh? lol

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  3:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Ohmygosh! I just opened one of the packages of fabric I ordered (it's gorgeous!) and in it were 3! extra treats! The patterns are wonderful! And, Bunny, I am sending you shipping costs - your fabric is priced SO reasonably ... and you will get a message from me through your site as I had an issue with Paypal ... not serious ... probably my bad. If you don't get another order from me right away ... let me know so I can replace it. I love - I mean it - love the fabric. Just what I was hoping for.

Thelma - I hope you are feeling better today.

Kathryn - I'm betting the FBI is abandoning the "stocking up" thing. I think that first originated over the candy purchasing issue. The guy was buying thousands of dollars worth of candy (around halloween time) - nobody knew why and so it was reported as suspicious - turned out he was just trying to resell it at a profit. The FBI was called. At least, I hope that was all it was. Speak of the ..... my BIL just called to check in on me. Bless his heart. I told him that this FBI business was worrisome and he laughed til he choked. He said "sweetheart - if only that were what we are about, I'd love to visit farmgirls!" Go figure.

Dianne ... you have more energy than the energizer bunny ... and I agree. I'm having a heck of time keeping up. thought I was caught up and ----whaaaa? More pages! I'm trying, gfs, really, I'm trying.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  4:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Bunny I can't wait to get my fabric. As you have time you should put everything you have on your site. Why not? Kathryn I am back at my home in the country and I will look for those yoga CDs. Do you have a way to play them at home? You are talking about wanting to grow things, I wanted to remind you, but you probably already know this--a couple of things. First, you can have compost without all the fancy stuff they tell you. I found some big old pots that trees had been taken out of and started putting my coffee grounds, veg. peelings, etc. in there, but you can use just about anything, even a corner of the yard. Then shovel some plain old dirt on that, keep layering all the things you can use to make compost, leaves, clippings, keep it damp and covered if you have critters that might get into it. ask your friends to save their coffee grounds and vege peelings if they aren't composting. next year without having to do anything you should have soil. when I fill one, I just leave it and start another one, it does take a lot longer this way but it will work especially if you keep it wet and the earthworms find their way into it. Go to nurseries and see what they are throwing out. Often they will give you the busted bags of mulch, soil, etc. doesn't hurt to ask. Make friends with someone who works in the garden dept at Walmart to alert you when they throw out busted bags of stuff, plants that they didn't water and look too bad to sell, you can bring back to life. Check on scraps, etc. from restaurants and cafes in the area. look around building sites, river banks, lots of places to get free stuff. Start saving the coffee grounds at work. Go to garage sales at the end of the day when they are tired and just want to get rid of stuff. Get your kids to go dumpster diving for you. Also, gardners are the most generous people in the world, they will share. If you meet other gardners in your area they will give you seeds, plant starts, etc. When people buy plants they usually throw out the plastic containers they came in, see if you can get those. Join the local gardening club. If there isn't one, start one.
You've got to have good soil to plant anything so start with that. This could be an interesting thing to follow - you should do a blog or at least a journal and see where it goes. You know, like in the movie Julie and Julia? Tell us what plants you are interested in starting first. Veggies, I assume? Some of us on this site are old enough to remember when there was no such thing as disability or social security and we had to make do with what we had. It can be done. I love a challenge. This MJF site has a lot of threads to tell you how to make do, for example there are lots of recipes to make your own cleaning supplies for pennies on the dollar. Also, instead of buying fertilizer, go to a farm or ranch and pick up some cow patties or whatever kind of manure, put in an old pillow case, put this in a large tub or bucket or whatever you've got full of water, leave it a few days, then you've got fertilizer tea. Dilute this and use on your plants. Don't put it directly on any veg you plan to eat, put it on the soil and water it in good. I come from 5 generations of farmers. Tell me what you want and I probably have an idea or two to help you get it. For example, if you buy eggs in a carton, punch a hole in each place where an egg was for drainage and use that to plant seeds in. Use grocery store plastic bags to keep it covered until it germinates. My mom always saved up eggshells and baked them in the oven for a while, then crunched them up and put in compost. (I still hate that smell) Get cuttings from things you see around and about, I can tell you how to start things from cuttings and anybody will let you have a cutting if you ask. You said it yourself, where there is a will, there is a way. you should get a pic of your place now and compare a year from now, I'll bet the difference will blow you away. But you've got to report on how things go for you, as our Darlys would say, we want DETAILS, gf. Tell me what you want to grow first and I'll send a pkg of seeds with the yoga CD. Just remember, don't throw anything away.

Thelma and Jan, I just today got your valentines---thank you, thank you, thank you----sweet wonderful sisters.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 24 2012 6:06:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  5:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Glenda, I would love to make you some flowers. I can do a few pastels or bright colors. I could do them in different sizes. I can do a custom item on my website and you can still use your credit card. Let me know if you are interested and we can private email to work out the details.

Funny about the stocking up of food. My sister is Mormon and I know they like to have about a years supply of food stocked away. I think there are more important things to worry about then people stocking up on food.Like weapons maybe? Or bullets? Imagine the database they would have to keep. Heaven forbid if you are Muslim and stocking food. I'm sure you would be on the main list fast. Or how about having a mega large family.... with boys. They eat like locust. I take it with a grain of salt.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  5:52:02 PM  Show Profile
BTW, Darlys, I didn't get your other order. I sent you an email, but just in case. I know paypal can be a pain. But I just learned I can pay for shipping and print out the shipping labels through paypal. Plus I get a discount by doing it online instead of going to the post office. Soooo Cool!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  6:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Patty, I have been browsing back over some older posts and I don't think I commented on your thoughts about the red bird plant growing in your area. I don't know if it would or not but I would be happy to send you some seeds. They are hard to germinate they are large and you have to soak them and then either make a hole in the seed cover which is hard to do, or what I have done is wrap them in a wet paper towel and then put in a plastic bag and eventually they will sprout. My mom got several seeds to sprout this way. Let me know if you want to try it and I'll put some in the mail for you. Freeze kills them back but they come back from the roots here, don't know what they would do there. A plant catalog that carries them would say what zones they would grow in. They don't work for me in pots.

Bunny I would like several in pastel colors for this scarf I think. I will email you soon. maaybe find a pinterest example to work from as an idea or you may have ideas. Fun!

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 24 2012 6:10:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Thelma I tried to send you a private email to thank you personally for the beautiful card but you seem to be incognito

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page