True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  5:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a gorgeous day out today. The sky was the gorgeous blue of a winter sky. The temperature in the sun was 45 degrees. Ross (4) took off his coat and was running around in his snowpants and boots laughing and running. I am practicing with my camera to take pictures of things in motion, like birds flying. I practiced on my guineas today. My son who is the star catcher on his baseball team could not manage to place any snowballs close enough to them to startle them into flying. They sat on top of their pen and squawked as only guineas can do. The dog did manage to get them to fly a little so I am going to practice zooming up the picture to make the bird big enough to see.

I had not thought of the the roof of the root cellar leaking when I watered the green house. it is something to think about. I am not sure that the idea will work where I want to put it or work at all. We have a lot of ledge in the ground and the field I want to put it in is wet to begin with. I do know I have to put a foundation under the green house so the sides will not sag over time. Glenda your query is why I posted the idea. I need to think of all the possibilities.

The crocheted flowers are very bright and cheery. I like them a lot. If you could figure out a way to make them a series or attractive to teenagers they could pin them to a tail and hang them off their backpacks. The marketing is the piece you need.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  04:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Off in about 30 minutes for our weekly shopping trip to the farmer's market. This is week 4 and it has worked out great. The chicken coop is done now. Complete with the wheels and roost. I already have 4 Black Australorp hens nesting in it. I rescued them from some very aggressive roosters. Poor girls barely have feathers on their heads and rear ends. I will keep their eggs for about the first 10 days to put in the incubator.
I started another batch of bread this morning. I love this bread. I baked 4 loaves yesterday. I ended up passing them out to company that stopped by...lol. I fed our company chicken salad sandwiches on it and they loved the bread as well.

Holly- you will come up with plans for your root cellar/green house in the middle of the night in your sleep....lol. I swear that is when my plans all come together. I wake up and say "I thought about this in my sleep and I think I have it figured out". Does anyone else ever do that?
Kathryn- I think Kim has a great idea. You could start seeds in empty toilet paper rolls and peddle them at a local farmer's market and increase your income a bit. :) I have some extra seeds from last years garden that I could send your way. :)

Marianne- The story you shared about the swizzle sticks is a great story. And wonderful that your husband is such a gentle man that he keeps it all alive.

Bunny- Those flowers are so cute! You do beautiful work.

Penny- So how many days on the non-smoking wagon now? Gosh, ya know we are all so happy for you. Your stength shines through! "God does not take away trials or carry us over them, but strengthens us through them." -Pusey .

Well, off to the market...have a great day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  05:02:51 AM  Show Profile
So much to read. Glad everyone is posting.

Judy your eyeglass pictures are funny and it really hit home with me. Even though I wear my glass most of the time I still forget wear I put them sometimes and find I have set them on top of my head. I do have more than one pair so if I can't find them I go get the other pair. Then my DH tells me I have a pair on top of my head. LOL.

Happy Birthday Kathryn. Oh, 51 is a fun age. I loved being a grandma at that age. I had so much fun with my grandgirls. We played all the little girl stuff and I got to enjoy those Barbies so much. They are grown now and I miss some of that sometimes. There are so many new things out there for both the little boys and girls.

Marianne I love the story about the swizzle stick. That is so beautiful and sweet. How lovely of your DH to remember to do that. My mom has been gone for 8 years and I still miss her. But she is always with me in my heart.
Hope you are doing better today and you are able to sleep better.

Dianne I hope your things are going better each day for you and DD. It is so hard to lose a family member. Thank goodness each time I have lost a pet I have had understand people around who knew what it was like and that it takes time to heal.

Becky congratulations on that new grandbaby. You will have so much fun with that bundle of joy.

Betty imagine those men just sitting around expecting you to do all that work and making remarks at you while you do it. No wonder you finally got fed up. Good for you! Let's see how they do without you? Let us know what happens when they have to do it on their own.

Ruby Thank you so much for the Dotee doll site. I am glad everyone got to see all the pretty Dotee dolls. They are all so cute. I have sent several in the mail and I think the most stamps I used was 4. I used one of the padded envelopes.

Bunny I have to tell you how much I like your crochet flowers. The colors are so bright and pretty. Keep up the great work.

Penny You do look a lot like your mom. I can see the resemblence in the picture of your mom and you. That is really nice to have that picture of the two of you head to hear.

Janie thanks for the quilt link. I am going to use it today if I ever quit gabbing on here and get moving. I knew if I learned to quilt I would get caught up in it and I did. But I still love my doll making the best.

Glenda I am praying for you. I know you are at Ed's but there is a Dotee coming your way soon.

Well, DH did my hair coloring yesterday and it came out really well. He likes to do it and does a good job. It only takes about 15-20 minutes. Today is the day the dog will finally have to have her bath. She looks so clean and shinny for the first 3 or 4 days after her bath. Then after those walks in the forest and a few rolls in the grass, dirt and whatever her silver hair begins to darken. By week 2 she is back to her dark gray until the next bath. Such a sweetheart she is with no regard to her coat. Now Mr. Kitty wouldn't be seen looking like that. He grooms himself daily many times so he looks his best all the time. So uppity those cats. :))

My prayers for all you dear sisters.

Hugs,

Nancy 32301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Good morning gfs, I am going to try to write this morning and will miss somebody but I will catch up later.

Hope I get the right thing with the right farmgirl. I read yesterday and today's posts and am waiting on my little GD to get her stuff together so I can take her home today. Her mom had to go back to houston yesterday because her dad took a turn for the worse. Ive mentioned on here before that he is not a model citizen and it seems he had a major addiction (or2) that he did not tell the doctor and he is suffering with major withdrawls and it is not a pretty sight. So my daughter had to leave school again and drive all the way back really for no good reason because they kept him knocked out all day. My son has no use for his beahviour and says he brought it all on himself and we don't need to ruin our lives because of him but my daughter still feels she has to be there. I never said a bad word against their father but let them grow up and decide for themselves. I taught them that he could be a bad husband to me but still be a good father to them, and still love them, which he did. He is just a tormented soul who decided to take the low road and now he is suffering the consequences.

Kathryn, I am going to try to upload a picture of some raised beds that I saw on Pinterest. If you go to their garden section you will see all sorts of gardening ideas you would have never imagined. You are so right, where there is a will there will be a way, just search around and you will find them. Herbs on the window sill is still one of my very favorite gardening ideas. And you can grow things in almost any thing that will hold dirt and water and you can punch a few holes in for drainage, washed out vegetable cans. buckets, water troughs, one pinterest idea that is priceless is to use these pallets that the stores stack up behind their buildings and give away - that's just wood, it can be used for building practically anything. Also, cinderblocks are very cheap and build amazing things, and you can plant in the holes in them.

Patty I don't bake bread much any more but I am going to try those recipes, thanks so much. I learn so much from this site. Marianne, those sweet stories like yours is one of the big reasons this site means so much to me. We share our grief, or sad stories, but also the bittersweet and wonderful ones too, and after all, that is what life is, a combination of all those experiences, and it is wonderful to have this amazing group of friends to hold hands with and get through it all, and share the good things along with the bad. Kathryn, lot of us are alone. I am alone a good part of the time, I have a dear friend Ed in town but I actually live out in the country alone.
I also loved those crocheted flowers. Pinterest uses them on crocheted scarves a lot. I am glad to see crochet making such a big comeback, I still have purses and even jewelery I crocheted back in the 60's.
Nancy I enjoyed your nice long post this morning. I went to the dotee doll website and I could never get to the bottom of it. I've never seen so many dolls in one place-----so much creativity--I just love those dolls and can't wait to make some. At our doll club we exchange handmade christmas ornaments so I think I 'll make one for an ornament this next year. We also try to take turns sharing at each meeting and I will try to show and tell these. What a great way to use up scraps. I never seem to have an original thought and am constantly amazed at the creativity out there. I hope whoever thought this up gets proper credit. Nancy I will try to remember to use the padded envelopes from now on. I didn't realize that would solve the problem. I had to pay $1.25 extra postage on a regular envelope that was a little too fat.

A quick personal update. My urologist did not work me in as promised and I will see her on Tuesday, a two week delay. My gynecologist did not make arrangements with my hernia surgeon as promised so finally yesterday I called his office and made my own appointment, which is a week from Monday, so now I'm 3 weeks out. But when I get back to the urologist on Tuesday, which is the same office my gynecologist is in (who promised over a week ago to coordinate everything and get back to me in a couple of days) I am going to have a lot to say, but I promise none of my special words. My primary physician in Fredericksburg (closest town to my home) has known me for 12 years and she jumped through hoops to work me in immediately and now I sit and wait here in Austin where they just say if it gets bad enough you can't wait, go to ER. How kind.
My brother has been in hospital for over a week, but yesterday they sent him home, unable to walk or control his bowels, receiving all fluids thru IVs which my sister has to manage. They have given him everything they can give him but can not stop diahhrea, so my sister is having to take him to the bathroom and clean him up. Today she takes him downtown to main campus of MD Anderson for the CT scan to see if the tumor has shrunk. Since he still cannot swallow, I do not expect good news, and I am afraid bad news is just going to cause him to give up. My biggest fear has been I will be down and out with my own surgeries when he comes to the end of the road and I will not be able to be there. A perfect storm is brewing and I can do nothing about it.

I talked to Darlys day before yesterday and she said she was doing pretty well. Darlys being Darlys, she wanted to talk more about my problems than her own. But I will try to reach her again today and see how she is. I am not good with calling people because I always think they will be busy or resting, so I am much more of an email person than a phone person.
Have a good day everybody.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 10 2012 08:02:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:04:43 AM  Show Profile

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!

So many of you are up and on your way already. We are a pretty busy group aren't we. I'm waiting to hear what kind of fruits and veggies Patty brings home this week!

Bunny those flowers are so beautiful because of your color combinations. I think pastels will be very pretty for the springtime ... Can't wait to see them attached to all those items you have mentioned. Please keep posting photos.

Nancy, I am so jealous of your clean and shiny doggie. We have three dogs that right now are neither clean nor shiny. Sigh.

Betty, keep up posted on how the "gentlemen" are handling their new duties at their clubhouse. I know that must have been tough to tell them to do it themselves. So proud that you did!!

Well, hubby is home! He got to the airport very early because he had finished up his business earlier than expected ... so he was there at 3pm for a 6pm flight. Lots of time to kill, but he can finish reports on his computer, etc. Then his 6pm flight was delayed until 9:55pm. He was pretty beat after spending 7 hours at the airport then 2 hours on the airplane. He is exercising to loosen up some! So, today we both have a travel hangover. Him for going through what I just described and me for being annoyed on his behalf!

He was so tired he didn't unpack ... so, I am still waiting for my "heart"!

happy Friday!! Any big plans this weekend for anyone?

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

I can't believe our desert winter. This isn't normal and I'm sure it will change since we have a couple more months to go. It was 75 yesterday and no wind (that's the bad part here) Hubby and I worked in the garden until the sun got too intense to work. It can be 50 outside and be too warm to work if the sun is out. We get sunshine about 300 days a year.

My flower beds are almost done. I've pruned and cleaned them out but still have the circle one in the middle of the drive and a bit of the front one under the front porch. I have Mexican Primroses that are very invasive and I have to thin them out. They are pretty in bloom though. I hope to plant lettuce and collards today and peas in another week along with carrots. I bought a star jasmine to grow up a frame that used to have a windmill on it but the wind kept teqaring it up. I have a bird house up there now. Hopefully the wind won't tear it up.

I copied the recipe for artisan bread. I don't care for the grocery store kind that is gooey and the other is so expensive. I'd rather have fresh bread and I often make bread and give as gifts with homemade jam or jelly. I also make lemon curd.(the English in me I guess)

Nothing more has occurred with the lodge. Just wait until the next stated meeting when they want me to help....... Hubby doesn't discuss it with me. Hmmmm!

Well, off to the garden to enjoy this beautiful weather. Even my chickens have started to lay more eggs. I got 6 yesterday out of 7 that are old enough to lay. I have two pullets that won't start laying for another couple of months.

All of you have a wonderful day......
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone. Thank you for the kind words on my little flowers. Holly you gave me a great new idea for selling them.

I'm so sorry for all the health issues everyone is dealing with. Glenda, I hope your perfect storm fizzles out before it gets bad. Hopefully you can get all your health stuff done before your brother needs you again. I can't imagine what he must be going through but I think it is amazing he has your wonderful family to help him. I would not be so lucky.

Marianne, what a wonderful story about the swizzle sticks. Amazing how something so simple can mean so much. I wonder if Southwest knows how they are used.

Kathryn, I wasn't too keen on turning 50. My last 5 years have been some of the hardest in my life. I can feel your frustration with the health issues. I'm healthy, life has just been turned upside down for me. I like the idea of a raised garden. I know how money can be a big issue. Check out freecycle in your area and maybe you can find something you can use. Just google it. I think it is a yahoo group thing. You sign up for your area and people post things they need or want to give away. No money involved. It is a wonderful way to find stuff you need when you are broke.

Well, I have a bit of homework to do. I get to do a free write for my writing class today. I have so many stories in my head it won't be hard. I'm finding out college at 54 isn't as hard as I thought. Just lots of work! I'm getting A's. Wish I had figured this out 30+ years ago.

P.S. I love the Dotee dolls. Just one more project to add to my big list of stuff I want to do. I unlike most, have a basement filled with fabric. I had a quilt shop I had to close a year ago. So I have bolts of left over fabric.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning
Kind of grey and over cast now. It tried to rain or snow or something yesterday but never got it done. I think I have given up on winter and snow. I am ready for spring. My first seeds arrived and I want to plant now!! LOL I will have to wait.

Judy that is a great picture! LOL I only have one pair of glasses and put them on my head and then went looking for them. LOL

Penny you have the one far away and one close up contact. I have that too. I only need the glasses when I have both distance contacts in. I only were both distance when I travel. I do not want to miss anything when we are on the road.

Speaking of road trips. Do we have any Farm sister on this site between Idaho and Minnasota? My DS and DIL are moving to Minnasota the end of March. We may go as well to help move stuff. Just curious.

Bunny those are wonderful. You should have no problem selling them. Everyone needs a spot of color in thier lives.

Janie I know what you mean about being to tired after work. I get home and finish dinner do the dishes and I am done. I look forward to Holidays more for the time off than the Holiday. That is sad.

Holly glad to hear from you. You have been in my thoughts lattly. I am glad everything is good with you and your family. Have you looked on the internet for ideas on a root celler / greenhouse? If it can be done or has been done it willprobably be on the internet! LOL

Penny that is a great picture of you and your momma. I know what you mean about missing her. My momma passed away a couple of years ago in October. There are days still that I think "I should ask mom about that" Then I remember I can't. Those days are hard. My momma was very ill the last year of her life and like you I know my mooma is in abetter place. We will see our moomas again in heaven. We just have to hold on to that.

Sorry for the tears.

Kathryn I am sorry you can't garden the way use to. i read an article in Hobby Farm I think. Any way the lady could not get up and down so she put boards around an old pick nick table and filled it with potting soil. She raise salad greens, herbs, and some flowers. Just a thought.
How far are you from Bethany OK? My youngest DD is ging to go to college there this fall. I will be making the trip this summer. I have a very handy DH. And yes girls before you faint. I am always volenteering him for things. More gets done for other people than for me. LOL He is well compensated! :)

I had better get off and get some lunch. The students will be back soon. Fridays we have long a long lunch period. Which is good because most of the teens do not want to work on Friday any way. Neither do I . LOL

Say a prayer if you think of me this weekend. I will be cheif cook and bottle washer for our teen bible quiz meet. There will be about 120 teens plus adults. I start tonight with sancks and end tomorrow with lunch.

Dianne (ID)

Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Ladies..I got sidetracked/hijacked? on my way to Rio with you..and haven't been able to find my way back..but..last night my husband was on my computer and happened to see all the unopened mayjanesfarm emails lined up..and he looked over at me at said.."what's this? are you growing pot now?"

LOL

that was the first good laugh I've had in a long while..thought I'd pass it along...

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

-Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:12:23 PM  Show Profile
This is sooooo wonderful! Thanks for all the great ideas; I am going to check out each and everyone of them too.

Glenda, That planter is exactly what I hope to be able to create; or something close to it. I met a lady who has a ranch and she said she has all kinds of pallets that I could have, so as soon as I get some way to transport them... I haven't figured out what to do with them...yet, but it'll come to me. Do I dare let myself be excited that I might actually get to plant some things this year...? Oh, why not!

I do have a few pots left, Kim, so I will be keeping my eye for something to put them on; I hadn't thought of a table, but its a good idea. You know my Daughter and son-in-law are on Craig's list all the time and I never even thought of it; man, don"t you just hate those times when your brain fades out and you can't even think of the obvious...

The t.p. rolls with seeds in are a great idea, Patty. Do you put the seeds in anything, like soil or something?

Thanks Nancy for the B.D. greetings and yes, I love playing with my granddaughters. I wasn't too happy, at first, when my daughter decided to make me a grandmother at 39 years old, but now, I don't know what I would do without "Nana's girl club" (I have only granddaughters, but more than willing to change the name to emit any grandsons, should any come along). Our favorite thing is to gather up together on the bed and read; we recently just completed the "Harry Potter" series. Great times!

We've been having a pretty mild winter here in OK too, Betty; temps have been mostly in the sixties and some seventies, but old man winter found us this weekend...and my son is coming for a short visit on his way to his new base is CA. I hope it clears up before he goes, so we can get out of the house... We've been invited to a local farm to meet their Alpacas; that would be great fun for the girls...

Glenda, is your brother's issues due to chemo for the tumors? The reason I ask is because I "work" for a homeopathic doctor and I've heard him mention something that has helped with that very thing...if you're interested I could ask him what it was he used; its been written about in some medical journal, so...let me know. Some people do not like the idea of homeopathics, so I won't push; its helped me quite a bit. I've been turned down, repeatedly, for the last 10+ years for disability and couldn't get regular care and now we "exchange" knowledge, so I'm really grateful for him...

Just so you all know, I'm not ignoring you if you should send me a message over the weekends, I don't have internet at my house and the Doc lets me use his at his office, so you'll only hear from me during the week.

I'm so happy to have so many people to bounce ideas off of, and some one I may be able to encourage, sometimes as well. I know I've rambled on quite a bit, but...I don't get out much! hahaha

Hugs to all my new friends! Have a great weekend.

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282

Edited by - Cooknnana on Feb 10 2012 12:16:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:40:46 PM  Show Profile
I think, Dianne that Chandler is about an hour and a half, plus or minus a few minutes, from Bethany. You are more than welcome to take a side trip to visit me. I'd love to meet you.

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Kath...I would be greatful for any info you have that
Might help my brother...we think it's the chemo because they have changed his formula and it did not help

If you can get on Pinterest and go to my boards I have tons of gardeni ng ideas pinned and also amazing stuff made from free pallets
I am doll58maker on Pinterest also

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile
BTW. What happened to Clumboy. Chris ???

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  3:31:54 PM  Show Profile
I AM BACK. Did anyone miss me? About two weeks ago I was on pintrest and opened a 'how to' video. My computer did all kinds of crazy things and then croaked. I love Pintrist and Craftgawker but will be more careful in the future. The $200 I spent on labor and parts could have gone into my 'new camera' fund.

I have spent most of my down time today reading over 10 pages of your posts. Welcome to all you newbies. Please sign up for the birthday group. You'll never know what I might send you, or when? I was saddened to hear about all the physical and emotional things people are going through. I am asking God to hold you in His arms. I'll be back again soon with a funny story or two to cheer everyone up. Thanks for all the pictures and the dottee doll ideas - my brain is going into overdrive so quess I'll be making some soon.

Edited by - Thelma on Feb 10 2012 3:35:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, nice to have you back. I'm on Pinterest and Craftgawker all the time. Will have to be careful!

Peggy, sorry about the eye doctor. Messing with teeth and eyes is the worst! Sounds like you are getting your fill.

Fibro pain is pretty much gone for now. It crops up when I least expect it.

I passed out my brochures for my pet sitting business today to the local Vets in town. Funny the one that was the crankiest was the one I take my kitties to. I may be changing their doctor after today. The other ones were so nice and helpful. Interesting though that Petco would not let me leave my brochure there and didn't have a bulletin board. How snarky of them... I love the word snarky!

Kimberly, your new baby is sooo cute. She looks like she is talking to your son in the second picture.

Well, I'm going to have a TV night with my crochet needle. I have some neat ideas for selling my little flowers on Etsy.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  5:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was another beautiful warm day. The temperatures were in the forties again. We still have a crusty covering of snow about a foot deep. This afternoon while the children were cleaning the house I took myself for a walk to the lower end of our property. There is a stream that runs along the property line that has some small waterfalls and i thought they might be pretty with the snow and ice. They were and the walk was welcome. I saw many rabbit tracks and deer tracks. I think I found a porcupine den at the base of a tree too. I tried to take pictures of the chickadees as they flew around but I was too slow. They are starting to sing their spring mating songs.
this evening two of my ds are out at a dance.. They went with two of their friends. Since the dance is up in Burlington which is about an hour and 15 minutes from here the friends will sleep over and one of the mom's will pick them up in the morning. whenever the children are going to have a friend over they clean clean clean. That is fine with me. I despise it and they are quite good at it. I would much rather be in the barn or the yard.

Patty I do solve my building problems at night. I understand the basics of building and do research for the rest but sometimes I just want to alter the plans enough to suit my needs then I need to ruminate.

Glenda I hate waiting too especially when the answer is very obvious. It seems like now you are just waiting for permission to have a surgery that you know is inevitable. That would make me crazy. Sense of humor do not fail.

I collect pallets whenever I am driving the truck and see some. I stack wood on them, use them to get over the wet sections of the yard and now I have screwed together a compost bin that the dog does not eat out of as soon as I dump in the food garbage. They , the two dogs, do try to reach their paws through and drag out the garbage but not as much as the old store bought wire ones. I have it int he middle of the garden area so when it is full I will just plant some vines on top of it to grow and trail off.

I have used old tires to plant in. I stack them up and fill them with dirt. I do not know what your terrain is like but if soil is at a premium then you could fill the bottom with rocks and put in a fooot of soil at the top to plant in. There are always extra tires around our area because to recycle them is $2 a piece. A neighbor took a coil of chicken fencing and made a circle about 6 feet across with it and planted his potatoes in it. As the potatoes grew taller he put in more wet leaves and rotting vegetation and they grew up quite fine. He is a wiz in the garden.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I got this wonderful package in the mail today for Judy, she me this for being FGOTM. In the was is this one cup tea brewer, a whole bag of different teas, a pretty card, a magnetic book mark, valentine card and some lip balm called Chicken Poop...to cute....I just had a cup of tea using my brewer. I can believe she remembered me saying a few months ago that I wanted to try all the different types of teas you ladies have been talking about. I just had the chocolate mint...oh was it so yummy. Thank you Judy, for making this girl smile and cry like a baby. I can't believe how loved I am by all of you. I told my DH that I can't believe how you all care and have never met me. Thank you. I have gotten some of the greatest gifts and cards for ya'll for being FEB. FGOTM. Words can't express how you made me feel today Judy when I got your package.

Included in my package was these great little pins too...one with Believe and the other with Trust on it...they are so wonderful
http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Feb 11 2012 2:00:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message

Marianne, I wanted to comment on your post, the part below. I can't tell you how much I loved reading it. DH says it sounds like a movie. Thank you so much for sharing that with me. Complete strangers can make such an impact in our lives, can't they? And I love that your DH keeps it going. I am so glad that you got the chance to say goodbye to your Momma. It also helps me to know that there is someone else out there that gets me and my heart over the loss of my Momma. She was so much more than just Momma, she was my friend. My Daddy died when I was 8 so Momma became everything to me. I was lucky to get a step-dad when I was eleven, but my bond with Momma was already set so she still was my rock and my constant in my life. Some people don't get it...but it is nice to know that you understand. Thank you again for sharing your story. I cried while reading it....I hope you write it down for your family to have always. It is a wonderful story of love and faith in people. And bless your DH for continuing with the swizzle sticks...such a sweet thing..

quote:
Penny, I lost my mom in July 2006 and my biggest surprise has been how the loss has not faded over time. We were very much alike and talked daily. She was one of the first "feminist" around the small farming community where she lived. The photo of your mom is gorgeous, but, my goodness the one of the two of you together really radiates joy. I am sorry your loss is so close to the surface right now.

My husband gets home tonight! (It must be Thursday.) He travels mostly on Southwest Airlines. They use little red swizzle sticks with a heart shape at the end in their coffee and mixed drinks. When I was making the last trip to see my mom (her death was emiminent and I was hoping I wouldn't be too late.) I sat next to an older gentleman on the plane. He noticed I was a bit rattled and we talked a bit. At the end of the flight he handed me the tiny red heart from the end of the swizzle stick from his coffee and told me that he always saved these hearts to hand to the person he met that day that seemed to need a pick me up the most. As he gave it to me, he said that he knew I would have the chance to say good bye to my mother, that he just knew she was waiting for me and to give her this heart.

Well, I did get the chance to say good bye and everything else I wanted to say. Mom wasn't really conscious but I know she knew I was there. I told her about the gentleman and tucked the heart into the pocket of her hospital gown that was just over her heart - almost like it was there for little plastic red swizzle stick hearts. It was such a silly little thing, but it touched me deeply that this man took the time to listen and react to my heartache. ANYWAY, ever since then, my dh has brought me his heart home from his trips. Tonight when I go to bed, I will probably find a tiny red heart on my pillow ... or maybe by my toothbrush tomorrow morning ... next to my coffee cup, somewhere. And I will feel wonderful!! I save them in a jar that is on the window sill in my kitchen. It is a great thing to see when I AGAIN have to clean the crusty yellow crud off the mustard jar after my husband has used it!

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile
....Penny, I don't see the pins. Just telling you so that you don't throw them away in all the funny-papers! *giggle*
Enjoy Girlie!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I got your email and went searching and found them....I LOVE THEM...thank you
quote:
Originally posted by herblady55

....Penny, I don't see the pins. Just telling you so that you don't throw them away in all the funny-papers! *giggle*
Enjoy Girlie!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Penny, that was so thoughtful of Judy to send you all those goodies. How sweet of her!!!! You deserve it though, and hope you are enjoying it. You are an inspiration to all of us.
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  10:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Penny thanks for sharing the photo - that is quite a nice gift!! Wow, Judy!!
Patty, I have a couple of old coops on my place that I would like to fix up into "tractors" by adding wheels so I can move them around. If the chicks run loose during the day the hawks will get them and if they are out at night the foxes and coyotes will get them, so a movable pen is the answer, and I only want no more than 6 hens to take care of. Are there any instructions or plans as to how to add wheels that you could refer me to? I am hoping to get this surgery business out of the way within 2 weeks and hoping recovery won't be too long after that or I am going to miss spring altogether. Its already too late to plant onions. I lost everything in my green house except mints because I was not here to water it, but I didn't lose my beautiful strawberry plant on the porch in a big flat pot thanks to rain, in fact it has little cluster of berries getting ripe and its putting out baby plants. I guess I got one that tolerates cold because it has been freezing here several times but doesn't bother it. Ihave never tried to grow strawberries before but I know the ones you buy if organic cost a fortune and if not organic are laden with pesticides, I've only had one ripe one off the plant but it was the sweetest most delicious strawberry I've ever tasted. The others will get ripe while I am gone and I guess the birds will feast. I drove out to my place yesteday to check on things and have to drive back today. I will go by the post office and get my mail and check on my property in town but don't feel well enough to do any actual work. I am taking ibprophen several times a day and twice in the night to keep the pain down until these people can finally fix my problems, if I had been close to an ER last night I would have gone, but this morning I don't feel too bad.

Holly I was going through my pictures last night and tried to upload some of my place but could not get them to upload. I am up on a hill and most of my dirt has been brought in over the years, a few inches to a few feet down is extremely rocky with large areas of solid rock. If you can find a space to plant a very small tree, it will find its way through the rocky dirt and grow, but you can't dig a very big or deep hole without hitting rock. Still over the years, I've got some pretty good size trees and shrubs. Probably 20 or so Crepe Myrtles, and a plant called (here in texas) Redbird of paradise, which blooms no matter what, and needs no water because it has a taproot, and each year I gather the seed pods and broadcastthem, so I've about got it to naturalize, must have 40 or 50 of them on the hillside. Then at the bottom of the hill I have nice sandy loam and lots of beautiful oak trees. A few succumbed to the drought last year but most survivied. I have one that must be 100 years old that I need to take a pic of. I am working on a blog so I can post my pics and some of my art, but I want to first figure out how to mark the pics so they can't be copied by right clicking, and haven't found how to do that yet. I need to get a good program like photoshop and get all the pics on that in the right format so I can do something with them. I don't much about my camera except put it on the setting for what I want to do, point and click but I do have some nice pictures of my place here that I wanted to share. After that terrible drought last year and all the fires, we got some nice late fall and winter rain and my place is literally covered with tiny bluebonnet plants so I am really excited to see what it will look like this spring. Last year I had not one flower. My forsythia is already blooming and another plant which I can't think of the name, but has beautiful pink blooms everywhere. The redbuds are ready to bloom here and then we will have spring here, which, thanks to Lady Bird Johnson's campaign to grow wildflowers along all the roadsides, will be spectacular since we did get the required rains. My bearded iris, which I thought were dead, have come back and they will bloom, and a few of my roses made it. I lost two beautiful roses because I was gone too much to keep them watered, but the ones that survived will be stronger and healthier for it. I am dying to get done with all the stuff I am dealing with and get back to my gardens and my art. The garden in part because of all those spectacular pictures patty is posting.

My mom called last night and said my brother was able to swallow a little liquid yesterday so that means the chemo is shrinking the tumor. She also said he seemed a little stronger. They are managiing without my help and said for me to stay home and take care of myself. not that i have a choice right now. One day I hear he is not going to make it and the next day I hear that he is doing a little better, so we still don't know. He has survived 2 rounds of chemo, and has one more to go, these two have made him very sick but he survived them, so if he survires the 3rd one he will be able to start radiation. I think the challenge is to kill the tumor without killing the patient and so far they have had to walk a fine line. But he's still trying, so that's the main thing.

Hope everyone is doing well and all our problems will soon be distant memories. Darlys, if you are looking in, send me a quick message and let me know how you are. I haven't figured out text on my phone yet, can't find it. I don't think I am smart enough for a smart phone. Oh my gosh, it's actually snowing out here----gotta go......

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 12 2012 11:03:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  11:38:12 AM  Show Profile
thank goodness for this forum! I have been reading for a while ... 5 or 6 pages - maybe more.

I am just laying around tired ... and getting grumpier by the minute. My butt is sore from sitting in bed ... and laying down just makes me antsy. I do not do well being "infirmed." I can walk around but - where to go? Phooey. Minimal pain today - as it can be controlled with Tylenol. But sometimes it just feels like a bowling ball with whiskers sitting in my lower belly. Grrrr.

You all have cheered me up a lot. Love the chatter about gardening, quilting, crafts, websites, etc. I got a "Get Well" Dotee Doll from Nancy. Now I know what they are - I may just get going on making them. They are so wonderfully cute!

Holly, Glenda, Patty ... I think we need to get a compilation of your posts and write a book! You are all so fabulously expressive about your properties and projects! I can't get enough. I'm hoping we will get daffodils out front in Oakhurst this spring. But doctor said I shouldn't travel more than a couple of miles for a month ... actually until 2nd week in March. So, I can't get a bead on them just yet. This is still shaping up as the year we will move up there permanently. Yay.

Nancy sent me a cloth doll pattern a month or so ago. I actually made the doll and am working on her "personality." DH said she looks like she has attitude ... and her name became Aditodae. When she is complete I will post pictures (I have to refigure out how to do that everytime I try.)

Glenda, you know you can call me anytime. I only hang up on robo-calls or solicitors. As a matter of fact, I was just "carefully selected to take part in a survey and for my participation I'll get a 2 day cruise ... " opps! hung up before I could find out where the cruise was going from/to. Oh well. I bet it wasn't Rio.

I want to respond to so many things - but I'm just a bit lethargic just now. Know though, that you are all in my prayers ... Dianne ... I am so very, very, sorry about your dog. I got your card and it was funny! I read it to Larry and he just sat there ... so I gave it to him to read for himself and he started chuckling ... like he didn't really want to but couldn't help himself. Betty ... you GO girl! and to all of you ... I know I'm grouchy because I'm healing rapidly ... and I also know I'm healing rapidly because I have been lifted in your thoughts and prayers.

Glenda - just sent you a text message. I'm still learning my iPhone, too. Do you have green icon -- top left of your phone that says "messages." That's where you go to text. In the little bar where it says Text Message is where you type to respond to last message you received. Hit send and your message will go to whoever sent the message in the "bubble" above. Or - you can go to New Message and touch the plus (+) sign. It will take you to your address book and you can choose who you want to send a message to. You can let me know if this helps at all.

Loving you all ... and gotta get offa this chair!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Glenda- I googled Redbird of paradise, it looks beautiful. I wonder if seeds would grow in Illinois? You and your brother remain on my prayer list....and your family as well. I am sure there are instructions somewhere for the coop wheels, but I just put some 2x6's under my playhouse to provide a mount for my wheels. I bought the wheels at Harbor Freight... least expensive I could find. Do they have Harbor Freight near you. (Funny, sometimes words just don't look right typed...I had to spell check "Freight" because it did not look right, though I thought I knew how to spell it...lol. Still doesn't look right.<shrug>) I am planning a trip to Midland Tx in the spring... are you anywhere close?
Marianne- The farmer's market was a huge success again! There were 14 baskets to fill so we had more $$$ to spend and were able to get more of a variety. You can look on my blog as I posted a photo and list of everything we managed to get. I also talked a vendor into some "Less than perfect" apples, and he didn't charge me for them. I was able to get a gallon of dried apples from the free apples. I love my dehydrator.

Bunny- Good luck with the new business. I wish there were pet sitting services local here. We are such a remote area. I have to depend on friends and family to tend to animals here. and I worry about them the entire time I am gone.
Betty- I love lemon curd! I was lucky enough to get a good deal on some lemons this week at the market. I will put up some lemon curd in jars. I am scheduled to provide the meal for my husband's Masonic Lodge meeting next month. But I just drop it off and leave before the meeting starts. The men will get it together.
Bunny- I too have added to Dotee Dolls to my list of projects. I am thinking "theme" Dotee Dolls. :) I was thinking I could stick up a bunch of them and then embellish them as I am sitting in Dr offices, riding in the car with hubby, and etc.
Penny- I think FGOTM has came at the perfect time for you! I think it has helped you with the difficult time of the year. Anniversrays of the death of those we love are so difficult.
Kathryn- I press the TP roll in half, then in half again so it is a square tube. I then cut down each corner about an inch. I fold each "leg" all the way in, and then push it back out from the inside to provide a flat bottom. I fill it with potting soil and then plant my seed. I can plant the entire roll when ready to transplant.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page