rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  11:31:38 PM  Show Profile
Patty, It looks like you did really well for yourselves. I would have been very disappointed, too, if I saw the produce handled the way you did.

Great job getting this done

marianne
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  04:47:40 AM  Show Profile
The little co-op trial run did accomplish what we wanted. And who knows, we may get better at negotiations. We were really wanting some bananas and celery, but no one had cases of either. Our 18lb case of grapes cost us $6. Green peppers were $7 a case containing 72 peppers. OMGosh, that was like .10 cents a pepper! All of the ladies involved do alot of cooking, so they will make their dinner plans around what they received. I drove the car because of the weather being so cold. It was 16' when we left yesterday morning. My Impala has a huge trunk, but I could not have hauled more than enough for 10 people. We had all we could put in it. I was afraid the produce would get too cold in the back of my truck. Sad, but we have more than 10 people wanting in on our adventure now. We will chat with everyone later next week and see how their produce held up. It is important that it keeps well, and I would like to have feedback on if each lady was able to use the produce they received. I don't mind being a shopper for others. If it were not for the others participating, I would not have received the great deal that I did on the produce. I do hope everyone that contributes wants to take the opportunity to join us at times for shopping. If each participate joins us while shopping they can have input on purchases and enjoy the fun.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jan 21 2012 04:51:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

Glenda so glad to hear from you. I have been praying for your brother. Keeping you in prayer to sister. I tried to talk darlys into a poolboy and a cabana boy. I think she is keping the cabana boy for herself.

Patty what an awesome idea. I may have to see if I can get a few people together and try that here. Not to much in the way of fresh produce this time of year but worth looking around.

Peny that is really cool. Thanks for the link. How are you doing with the "no smoke"? You have been in my prayers every morning.

The DH was not feeling to good this morning. He had to go to work for 4 - 6 hours and was not to happy about that. Moneys good but he is not as young as he thinks he is. He gets worn out putting long weeks. Date night maay be off for this weekend, maybe next weekend.

Better get a move on if I am going to get any sewing done. Not much else to do with all of this rain.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  08:50:22 AM  Show Profile
I'M HOME! We had so much fun with 2 of the grandchildren while their parents vacationed in Vegas. We even went roller skating at the wellness center.

Actually we traveled home in the first snowstorm of the winter. I was glad Hubby was driving - I do not handle the stress of winter driving well at all. We hade to make the 90 minute trip as we were out of meds or we would have stayed over. One of my daughter in laws friends took the kids so we could get on the road. That was so good of her to do that.

Santa didn't know it. but while he took his daily nap I used his magic dust and traveled back and forth between Iowa and Rio. I didn't see any of you at the market, but I did find the wonderful piles of fabric. The rich reds, purples, oranges, greens, and blues inspired me to design a 'beachie' quilt. I shipped my purchases home in those all it will hold flat rate boxes. Santa will wonder where all the fabrics came frome - shishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Let's not tell him.
Just as soon as we get shoveled out I will be coming to Rio. Can't wait to get on that zip line! We better remember to check the durability of our bikini's. Can't have them falling off on the way back to earth - or can we? giggle

Edited by - Thelma on Jan 21 2012 08:54:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bee Lover
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Doreen
Rochester Ma
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  09:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! I am brand new to this site and am trying in this new year to live the way my heart truly wants to live. I am most definitely over 50...well, physically anyway...mentally I will never be over 10. :). I have lots of plans for the coming year, like getting a veggie garden going and NOT abandoning it mid summer...I know my bees would be very happy if I did! But for today, I am sitting curled up under a blanket reading all your great posts watching the snow fall, wishing I was ANYWHERE warm, like visiting my grandbabies in Florida... Anyway, hello from Rochester, Ma!

"He's got the red, white and blue flyin' high on the farm, Semper Fi tattooed on his left arm, spend a little more in the store for a tag in the back that says USA..." ~ Toby Keith
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello from the SW corner of Louisiana. It is 75 degrees today. But, I'd love to be in Ma making a snow angel. LOL
Welcome to the MJF forum. Enjoy you time with us. I'll look forward to reading your posts or comments.
You may want to say hello to all the others on the Welcome site.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  10:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Doreen from MA. You are going to love goofing off with us.

Bear5 - It is to cold for snow angels today here in Northern Iowa. I just hope that it warms up in the next few days so I can get my snowshoes out of storage and get out for some very needed exercise. We usually have winter in December, but yesterday was our first major snowfall. Our little Lily dog is really confused. Her "get er done" spot is covered with snow. She holds up her paw and wimpers. When I get her coat to take her out she runs and hides. Too Cute.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  10:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Thelma: I had no idea it would ever be too cold for snow angels. LOL. I've only seen snow three times in my life. We don't get much snow in SW Louisiana. But, thinking about it, if it's that cold, I guess everything is like ice. Hugs to cute Lily.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Just trying out the photo upload process.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  11:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Now that the picture of Sally and the twins are uploaded as a practice you should know that we no longer have any of them. Sally lives in Middlebury in a very nice home and the twins live with a family with two little girls who love them to pieces. The twins will be six in July. The one nursing is a filly her name is Makida and the colt's name is Solomon.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  11:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Trying to post another picture so my lessons might stick. This is a picture of our house a few winters ago although not much has changed.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  12:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all...it is raining cats and dogs today...DH and I finally got around to watching the movie "The Blind Side"....we both loved it...great movie. I also made a fruit cocktail cake. I got the recipe from one of the gals here on the MJF board sometime ago...but just got around to making it...it was really good...but next time I am going to add a little more flour. I think it is needed to firm up the cake.

Holly, love the pics. Seeing the colts makes me really want one. My horse Jiggy was already grown when I married DH...Jiggy and Joker were his horses but Jiggy is mine now. I would really like to raise one from a baby someday. I love your house too...wow it is big...love the big window and doors? Is that doors on the end also...??? I am glad we don't get much snow...but sure got a lot last year for this area. I am so glad you figured out how to post pics...so keep it up...love pics...

Thelma, so glad ya'll made it home safe and that you had a great time with the Grands. Grands are so much fun aren't they? Oh and we won't tell Santa where the fabric came from...lol..promise...

Hi Doreen, Glad to have you here...jump right in and join the fun...if you see where we are all posting about RIO, well we are all on a virtual vacation...something for us crazy and funny gals to do...love the imaginations some of us have....maybe we should all write stories and then compile them into a book...just something that jumped into my head...so ladies whatcha think?

Marly, glad to have you join us too...I have family in LA....I spent many summers in the north and middle western part of the state....I got a call last year from an oil and gas company that is asking for permission to drill on some land that my family has there...land I didn't even know about...my Momma's Granddad owned it...and now it belongs to his heirs...if what the man says is right it is about 125 of us...lol...I still haven't signed the papers yet but guess I should...lol...really need a lawyer to look them over first....oh my sorry didn't mean to get into all that....but oh well...that's what LA makes me think of family and mineral rights...lol....so can't wait to here more about you and your family.

Glenda, good to hear from you and I still have your brother and you in my prayers everyday.

Dianne, thank you for your prayers every morning. I'm on day 11 of not smoking and it is going pretty good... I hope your DH feels better, sorry he has to work sick...that is not fun at all.

Patty, I really am so happy to see the great deals you got at the market, maybe someone else will like to go with you next time and learn all your tricks....you seem to know what you are doing and I sure wish I was close enough to learn from you...we don't have ANYTHING around here at all like that...and besides I don't really know anyone either...been here almost 3 years and got to say...I can count on one hand the people I really know well...that's part of living way out in the country I guess.

Well I'm off to crochet some more...still working on the shawl pattern that I found on the internet...I think I will have to go buy more yarn but not sure yet. I'm almost finished with this skein and then I have about 1/2 a skein I can use before I will have to buy more...If the 1/2 skein doesn't complete the shawl I will have to wait a while before I get more. Not planning a trip to a store that carries yarn anytime soon. The closest one is about 25 miles away...so as you can see it isn't like just jumping in the car for a quick trip to pick up yarn...lol.. I really want to start sewing some spring clothes soon but need to clean off my cutting table first. I has alot of craft stuff on it from before I hurt my ankle. I guess that is what I should really be doing before anything else huh? Cleaning...but yuck...ok, ok, I hear all of you...it will make things easier if I would just take time and do it...ok, so maybe tomorrow...or the next day...or...ok stop yelling, I hear all of you....I will get to it, I promise.

Oh by the way wasn't the birthday party from Grandma the best thing so far on this trip....did we dance the night away or what? I could hardly walk this morning...my feet hurt so bad...but I didn't let that stop me from going to the market this morning. Our trip will be over soon so I am gong to pack as much into these last few days as I can....see ya'll at supper...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Holly! What a beautiful picture of the horses. And- your house picture with the snow is just beautiful!!!!! Oh that is a lot of snow. OMGoodness, I would be staying inside and sitting by the fire. Keep warm.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh I can't remember if I mentioned that I have been trying to teach myself to knit. I got a size 4 circular needles from a FG on the barter page a while back...not knowing the size of needles I didn't realize how small they were, anyway...I found a you tube video that taught me the basics of knitting....I have enjoyed learning how to cast on, knit, purl and cast off...I can't do anything else yet, can't read patterns or increase or decrease or anything else but what I've taught myself has been fun so far. But I can't wait to get needles that are bigger...maybe that will also make it easier....didn't mean to type this much...sorry just got excited about being able to teach myself the basic of knitting....I have always wanted to be able to knit...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  2:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

Last night I went to a class on how to work my camera. I know how to use it but Brian Pfeiffer

http://www.wingsphotography.com/about.html has a two hour long class and it was a good thing to go to if you really do not have the time to spend reading and sorting through the manual.

Patty, the coop you are starting sounds great. Years ago like more than twenty that is what our coop used to be. Buying in bulk and splitting the pieces. Now it is a store front and while the goods are good quality the prices are high. You made great deals on the produce. If we were to try that we would need to drive to Boston or Montreal. Boston is almost three hours and Montreal is about 2.

Now that I can post the pictures I need to learn how to size. One step at a time. Mark who borrowed our tractor and got it stuck in a mud hole is giving me lessons. If I had the time to sit down undisturbed I could figure it our for myself but it is easier to go to him. His house is quiet and his connection is faster.

My daughter was born in Lafayette, Louisiana. I flew in picked her up and flew out the next day. I did not sight see at all.

I can not remember where Rochester, MA is although I grew up north of Boston in Andover and Tewksbury and then we moved to Western Mass to Rowe and Savoy. I have one hive of bees.

The picture of the house is looking at the north side. The end of the barn has a 22 foot cathedral ceiling and the windows are about 18 feet tall. I know not very good for the heat exchange but how could we waste a good wall like that. The house is 100 fett long and 33feet wide. The house is two stories in what was the hay loft.

I have to go get ready for supper. It has just arrived. We are having Chinese.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Penny, thanks for the kind welcome. Mineral rights! Well, you need to come on down to Louisiana and check that out. ASAP, that's what I would do. We live in SW Louisiana. I live about six miles from the Gulf; water surrounds us.
Holly, I live south of Lafayette. Lafayette is such a beautiful place to live; friendly people, good food, lots of things to do, etc... Of course, I'm also describing Louisiana.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  8:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Marly, I found the papers the company sent and it looks like the mineral rights are in Sabine Parish...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  06:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

Welcome Doreen and Marly. So glad to have you here. You will find us so friendly and fun here. This is a wonderful group of ladies.

Patty the fruit and veggies are outstanding. Makes me hungry just looking at the pictures. You did so well at the market. Thanks for posting the pictures. I enjoyed seeing the marketplace.

Holly those pictures of Sally and the twins are so cute and I am happy that you can post the pictures now. Your house is really nice and big. I love the beautiful window. Going through the manual trying to learn how to use a camera can be so frustrating. You are lucky to have a class to go to to learn all about the camera. Just shows you how much there is to learn that it takes two hours for the class.
Wait for me Holly, I will try to get there before you serve dinner. I love Chinese food. I will bring my own chopsticks. I will bring the fortune cookies!

Penny, you can be very proud of yourself going on day 11. Give yourself a pat on the back. I cannot crochet so maybe I will try to learn to do that while you learn to knit. If I could just make a decent granny square I would be happy. The last one I tried was so curly I laughed until I had tears running down my cheeks. I have to continue to practice until I can make one correctly then I will consider myself on the right track to becoming a crocheter.
By the way, how is Jake doing? Keeping you in my prayers

Doreen, Do you live in the southern part of MA. My DH is from Fairhaven, near New Bedford down by the cape. I have been there a few times but only in the summer. He still has his accent even though it has been years since he has lived there.

Went to see The Iron Lady yesterday with Meryl Streep. Wonderful film about Margaret Thatcher. I think she will get the Oscar this year for Best Actress. It is amazing how the makeup artists can do what they do so that even in the closeups one cannot even tell that it is not real. She is playing Mrs. Thatcher as an old woman in part of the film.

I had so much fun at Grandma's party and from that dancing I am worn out. Monday will be so much fun, too.

Hugs to all,

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

Bee Lover
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Doreen
Rochester Ma
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  08:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome! Holly, your horse picture reminds me of how much I want a horse again. I lost mine a few years ago to cancer and I haven't been able to afford another (college loans among other things...ugh!) but I am hoping by the end of this year to have another. I have one hive as well..it's a Langstroth, I've had it for 4 years now and I'm hoping to make a split this spring and add a top bar hive this time to see which style I like best. My husband is in construction and has been spending the week in Ludlow,VT. for the past 6 weeks redoing a Shaws that got flooded out during Irene. Rochester is down towards Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod.

Penny ~ keep at it...knitting is so relaxing and you get such a sense of accomplishment when you complete a project. I have a great pattern for a tunic type sweater that is all knit and pretty easy to do when you think you're ready for it I'd be more than happy to email it to you!

I used to be a real snow bunny, but arthritis makes it kind of scary walking around and the cold gets into those fat cells and just radiates for the ENTIRE day, so I'm not the fan I used to be. Maybe when I shed some of those dang fat cells....

Oh well...have a great day Ladies...talk to ya soon!

"He's got the red, white and blue flyin' high on the farm, Semper Fi tattooed on his left arm, spend a little more in the store for a tag in the back that says USA..." ~ Toby Keith
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  10:06:46 AM  Show Profile
Penny: Have you been to Paroisse de la Sabine (Sabine Parish)? A beautiful place. It boarders Toledo Bend Lake (really nice fishing here) and East Texas. Sabine Parish is located in the middle west side of Louisiana.
I would surely check into the mineral rights. Good luck.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  11:04:26 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I am taking a two night knitting class starting in April. I can hardly wait. I am going to get my supplies next time I go to a larger town, and start teaching myself using Mary Jane's directions from her books. I wish you the happiest of stitching.

Has anyone seen WAR HORSE? It is coming my way in early February.

Holly your barn - house is beautiful! It just takes my breath away. I always wanted to take on a project like that. Remodeling is a lifetime process that takes alot of money, thought and patience. Are you doing the work yourself?

I didn't go to church this morning. Icy roads, high winds, and more snow one the way! Welcome to northern Iowa Ladies. I too suffer from bone and joint problems that keep my inside, but I always take Lily out, walk to the mailbox, and keep the snow away from the doors. This time of year I enjoy working on sewing, cleaning, and decorating projects.Oh, and reading a great novel. I am working on my 1/2 apron today. Tomorrow I will start another quilt. This one I will donate to Pheasants Forever, a group that works on preserving wild pheasants. We have all kinds naturalist groups around here. If the group works on preserving wildlife and the land I try to support it.

Edited by - Thelma on Jan 22 2012 11:07:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Is tomorrow zipline day? I have Santa's dust and I am ready to see Rio one last time. I plan the scream very loudly and will absolutely have a hugh rain shower between my legs! giggle
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  11:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Thelma: What great novel are you reading? I'm always looking for a good read.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  4:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Yes, tomorrow is zipline day. I hope everyone has been having a wonderful time on the beach and in the water. Tomorrow is the last day and night so take full advantage of the sun and warmth. I am thinking that tonight we should be looking out at the stars. It dawned on me, slow learner, that we should be able to see the Southern Cross and all sorts of stars we are not used to viewing. So, while you are resting in the lounge chairs and hammocks look up and count all of the stars.

I have read that on the zip line there is an automatic camera that takes your picture as you are zipping down a particularly treacherous section so make sure you have the right look on your face for the camera. We do not want to see any placid looks when we are reminiscing in the trunk of the way home on Tuesday. I think whoever has the Carmen Miranda fruit hat should wear it tomorrow and everyone who wings should wear those as well. I want to see the take offs and landings.

I worked one summer for the Girl Scouts at Camp Wind in the Pines in Buzzard's Bay. It was around 1976 or 77. A big hurricane came through the area and everyone in camp was evacuated to a church for the night. The wind flipped a couple of the tent platforms. It was very exciting.

When we moved in the front third of the barn was a two story house. First we closed in the cathedral ceiling because we needed two more bedrooms. Then I finished the loft into more rooms on two stories. I did most of the rough work myself. Putting up the stud walls and floor joists. I hired out the sheet rock. I dislike spackling although I can do it. The big windows were a trick to put in because the center set with the half circle on top are all one piece. Not the doors on the bottom. In the ridge line of the barn is a pulley system so we wrapped the doors with a rope and hoised it up. There were four of us and we were all terrified that we would drop the windows. Inside those windows is the library. The walls are tongue and groove stained a reddish maple. I did most of that myself as well. I have heard there is an old saying that she who finishes house dies. So, I am safe for a very long time. lol

Hang in there Penny not smoking. Never having dealt with that addiction I can not give any advice like it gets easier as time progresses. So, good luck.

Patty, how long do you raise the quail for before you put them in the freezer? My brother said they are small and when you cook them it would be one per person. Is this what yoy do? My brother is 6'6" tall and has an amazing appetite so we should not judge a regular person's consumption on what he says. We will not get our baby chicks in to raise for meat birds until April or the beginning of May. I do have 4 nasty roosters I took from our neighbor to be neighborly that I need to do in before the chicks arrive. they are living in the chick room. You give me all sorts of new ideas to think about when it comes to raising our own food.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  8:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, I managed to do absolutely nothing today...well, kinda. I made pecan waffles for breakfast and we ate leftovers for lunch and dinner. I have to keep that basket in the refrigerator in check...lol. I made Ambrosia salad from my market pineapple, and tangerines. And Oh my was it good. Much better with fresh fruit rather than can fruit with juices drained. Other than that... I did nothing. It was my oldest son's birthday today. If you check my blog you can see the little fairy tale I wrote about him, with a few pictures.

Thelma- I have seen War Horse, it is a very good movie. I recommend it.
Doreen- I had hives years ago and recently since moving and hubby retiring we have tossed the idea about. But the set up cost are so expensive anymore. Good used equipment used to be plentiful, but not now like it was in the good old days.
Holly- I too, will have a long time to live...lol. We still have alot to do on our house, but I fiqure we have our lifetime, no since in getting in a hurry. I will put 6 quail in a container to freeze. 2 for me and 4 for hubby. He is a tad over 6'5" with an amazing appetite as well. I would like to put about 300 in the freezer. That will give us 50 meals, unless we have company, and a few to share.
It takes 7/8 weeks to get them to butchering size or 7/8 weeks before they are laying.
I don't remember if I posted a link of the video of the male, so here it is if I didn't already. I love the sound of this male Pharaoh quail. It sounds as if they say "Look at me, Look at me"
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com/2009/03/corturnix-pharaoh-quail-video.html

Well, off to bed. I have had a rough day loafing around the house. Sometimes I think being lazy wears me out even more...lol

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jan 22 2012 8:05:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page