True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, girls!

I'll be praying, too, Cyn. This must be so horrible for everyone.

Just FYI, girls, if you haven't received your new MJF magazine yet, it has an entire section on emergency preparedness, too. That Mary Jane & Staff - always thinking of us, God bless them! :)

We've been talking about getting a generator before the winter. A lot of people in our area lost power for days due to last year's snowstorms, and our transformer was hit by lightning twice this spring during those horrific wind, hail and lightning storms we were having. I am not sure at all how we're going to swing it, but I want to be prepared to help not only ourselves but our neighbors should it happen during inclement weather. My son and I are always home due to homeschool, and there are a lot of elderly as well as a few invalids in our neighborhood. I would feel so much better knowing we can take care of people if they can't get out and have no power in the cold. Please say a little prayer that my DH and I hit it right and find a great deal on the perfect generator, too, ok? :)

Hugs and blessings -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  07:31:31 AM  Show Profile
I have to admit, that while I know I should be better prepared for any types of disasters, I have not taken the steps to do so. One friend of mine who lost everything said she felt blessed that she was at least able to grab all the old photos of her family. She is one of the strongest christian women I know and even while she posted on her FB page that she had lost EVERYTHING, house included that she still felt blessed for what they were able to take away and what lies ahead knowing that God would take care of everything. Truly a woman to look up to and admire!!

As for legal documents, I know I should have these all in a special locked box like you said but have not taken steps to do so. This disaster, along with what happened when we got the tail end of Irene ( I was without power for 10 hours) has certainly put things in perspective on how myself and others could & should be better prepared. I plan on putting a plan together and a list of the things I need to put it into effect. For starters I really do need to get all my old photos together in a more organized manner so that if need be I could grab and go. Right now they're sort of scattered about in different boxes. I need to consolidate and probably put them in some kind of scrap book or photos albums that could then be put in a plastic bin.

I'm also beginning to think about getting a generator and stocking up on food supplies that we could use if we were in a situation where food became scarce.

I wonder if anyone has any good ideas on websites or books that help one put a disaster plan together?

Thanks again Claudia for your concern!!

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

"The time is when a library is a school, and the librarian is in the highest sense a teacher, and the visitor is a reader among the books as a workman among his tools." ~Melvil Dewey

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  07:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Cyn~My prayers go out to you all. Areas all around us have been devastated just like yours. We by the Grace of God have not been victims. All over our country there are disasters~fires,floods etc. As difficult as it is only God can sustain us. We can hold each other up by his Grace!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  04:37:02 AM  Show Profile
There is alot of info on this. Our 4-h club did the fair educational booth on it and when we arrived 6 other clubs had the same idea! The gov. has good online free info for one. I learned when making your kit not to use dehydrated foods as much as canned because they use up your water supply preparing them. I am close to Joplin. We think of these kits long before 9-11 because of tornadoes. Even if you can get to a store if the delivery truck cant get thru the shelves are bare. That happened during the ice storms awhile back. Folks were without power so long (10 days) you couldnt buy batteries, candles etc. and you are on your own. I am a firm believer in being prepared.Our area has a dept of emergency management. They gave us brochures to distribute. Even pets emergency kits. Hope this helps and another thing suggested here is take photos of your possessions for insurance purposes and then you can just store the camera chip memory disk or whatever it is called:) Take care. God will never leave you or forsake you. Be there for your neighbors and help them to remember what you already know. The line you wrote not a life is lost shows you have your priorities right.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlonPark
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Kelda
Des Moines Iowa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Just stumbled on to this post - gotta pronounce that I'm a Christian FarmGirl, too!

That's all...thanks for askin'!

God Bless & Happy Trails!
Kelda
Farmgirl on Park
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Yay! Welcome Kelda! And Divina, too! Thank you for those Scriptures, Divina!

Have a blessed day, all!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  1:01:38 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate so much food for the spirit and info on how to be good stewards in this life. We Christian girls need to stick to help each other any way we can. I especially appreciate the info on preparedness of not using dehydrated food as to use your water. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Thank you for reminding us of the gifts of the Spirit. All we have to do is ask.

BTW, DH & I will be on vacation for the next week, so I will catch up with your posts next Thursday. Stay safe, pray without ceasing and love one another as He has first loved us.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  03:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Would this not make a great bumber sticker....

Stay safe, pray without ceasing and love one another as He has first loved us.

Claudia, thank-you for reminding us that it really can be that simple. Hope you have a great vacation.
quote:
Originally posted by buffypuff

I appreciate so much food for the spirit and info on how to be good stewards in this life. We Christian girls need to stick to help each other any way we can. I especially appreciate the info on preparedness of not using dehydrated food as to use your water. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Thank you for reminding us of the gifts of the Spirit. All we have to do is ask.

BTW, DH & I will be on vacation for the next week, so I will catch up with your posts next Thursday. Stay safe, pray without ceasing and love one another as He has first loved us.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  05:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie. I am sure we will. We have lost our 90 degree weather & will now have a more seasonable 70 + as our highs. That usually means lows in the 30's here. Am covering my garden loosely to save as much as we can. If it is rainy & cold outside, we will be reading, playing alot of crib & Yahtzee and I've got my crochet & journal along. Am writing our itinerary & campground info for my 93 yo Mom in case we lose phone coverage. Where we will be staying is just around the Mt. Rainier State Park. Very beautiful area. Bless all of you this week!

Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  7:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Hello Sister!

"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  9:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi to you Melissa. Welcome. I have been a week on vacation so I just saw your post. What would you like to share?

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  7:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Just wondered what all us Christian girls are doing out there...canning? napping? or bible studies? Or maybe I am all who is left after the Rapture?? lol

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  06:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Claudia you are so funny. If I never get to meet you down here I cant wait to look you up in heaven!Oct is a new year in 4h which means county extension office wants treasurers report,secretary book and historian for the year turned in plus keep the fall hayrides and school activities going. Our church asked us to host a hayride also other than my full time job and that I'm not doing anything lol.Never too busy for the scriptures though. Learned the hard way that is a huge mistake Christians make.Busy can be used by the devil if we are not careful even if it isfor a good cause. Take care and God bless my sisters. I read even if I dont always reply.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  12:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Lea, you are beautiful. Now that i am retired, I don't have all the responsibilities that I once had...so when you started to list them, I was embarrassed. I am trying to remember that Jesus through His Holy Spirit is always with me and that I should be talking with Him through out the day, as someone right with me. I saw the new series "The Gifted Man" who is a neurosurgeon who has visits from his deceased wife urging him to do more for the poor and not such a snobbish creep. I'm not for talking to a ghost as he does...but I should be talking to the Lord Almighty for guidance & inspiration. So...thanks Lea for reminding me of many things today.

Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:57:06 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering what y'all do to make your home a godly,warm,comfortable home on a daily bases?

Claudia LOL I have also questioned at times if I was left behind. Some days I just feel out of touch with reality.

Keep your mind active make sure you get a little sunshine each day 15 minutes of sunshine on our skin gives us a good dose of vitamin D which in turn lifts our spirits and clears our head of all the junk.

Other then that I am doing a little of everything. Big jobs ahead of me... reorganizing my craft room and sealing the cement walls in the basement.

Have a great day.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  12:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mari-lyn, I'm getting sun as I can...before it starts snowing. Have heard we may have a dusting of snow in the nearby mountains Wednesday night. Am picking up the garden things and putting away my little ducks and piggies I've had in my flowers. Saddens me in a way, but I know that God gave us such a great 4 seasons. So it is a time for me to wait for what God has in store, & not go with the status quo.

Go to Top of Page

longbeachfox
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Mary
Long Beach WA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  1:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Here on the Long Beach Peninsula, we are harvesting our potatos (the pic is of the tiny ones for frying up and some fingerlings that a farmgirl friend sent me last year. The purple ones are some she sent.)and soon, the beets for pickled beets. Not much grows well here as our growing season is always affected by rain, but this year God blessed us with more sunshine...YEA!!! We actually are harvesting some things. The flowers, of course, are usually beautiful. They like it here, but not so much tomatoes. We really have to baby them along. The berries love it here and do fantastic.

Other than that and working on making our well house into a little western building...that's about it...getting ready for winter.

God bless you all today. Hugs, Mary

Farmgirl # 2532

With God...Nothing Is Impossible!

http://foxontherunarts.blogspot.com

www.etsy.com/shop/longbeachfox

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  1:16:48 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Mary, I love your bounty...what colors. I have never had blue potatoes. Blessings to you!

Go to Top of Page

Angelina
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Angelina
Hemet ca
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  12:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Is there room for one more - Farmgirl/sister in Christ? I just joined the farmgirl connection yesterday and was praying to find a group of Christian sisters. I God showed the way. I am going to join the sisterhood soon but not trying to do too much to soon. I love to knit, Quilt, cross stitch, cook, read, camp, horseback riding, garden, fish,and hopefully this year start to can. I am so blessed by God's grace and giving I am humbled every night as I go to bed. I cannot believe how fulfilled I am at the simply things in life and what abundance He shares with me every day. Looking foward to getting to know you .

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding ; In all your ways acknowledge Him;
and He shall direct your path Prov 3:5,6
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  1:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Love the well house and the potatoes look luscious. Good to know some Farmgirl sisters in Christ.

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah! A couple more farm sisters in Christ! Sue and Angelina, I think that you will find a great network of christian diversity here. I have learned so much about many things, just reading others posts. Glad that you both are here.

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Angelina and Sue!There are lots of good chat forums on here but this one is my favorite. Jump right in and make yourselves at home!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  7:16:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm really not sure what is happening, but just within the last week, I have heard some surprising and sad news. I was told by some friends (different groups) that 3 young men, only 2 knowing each other are in prison. Their crimes are not connected, not done at the same time and one has been in prison for 8 years with another 13 to go. The others...I'm not sure about. These men are in their 30's-40's....one in prison in Oregon and the other in WA state. One thing they have in common...drugs leading to theft etc. I knew 2 of these boys when they were little. I would never imagine that they would be where they are. My son is corresponding with the one in Oregon, as he says he has lost all hope and has no friends except the kindness that Joel showed him as a kid. (Who knows what is really going on.) The other thing that just blew my mind was from a phone call today from one of Joel's grade school friends. He married 3 years ago and found out several months ago that his wife was a bigamist (husband in the south), she is not an RN as she stated ( has not worked as she got pregnant & was fortunate to stay at home). She cleaned out all the savings & took off leaving her 18 month old with her husband here. They had a church wedding and all and talked about how much she loved the Lord and all. I am thinking what in the world is going on IN the world. I think it may be getting worse. Just had to share with my Sisters/

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  05:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh Claudia I know what you mean! My brother and his wife of 27 years got a divorce a few months ago. She had been having an affair for almost a year. She worked in the church, sang in the choir etc. My brother is looking at online Christian singles matchmaking services! I never would have believed this.They are grandparents!One thing we know God is never taken by surprise and He will always be there for us.Sounds like Joel is ministering and doing good though. Take care and God bless. Gotta run or be late for work.
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  07:57:19 AM  Show Profile
Good morning sisters...I'm new here in the farmgirl connection and was delighted to find this thread this morning. I'm slowly taking my time to go through the different forums here. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 92 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Christian farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page