Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Quick Poll: What holds you back from baking bread?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Quick Poll: What holds you back from baking bread? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  3:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know a lot of us do make our own bread, and a lot of us don't. So I am kind of wondering what some reasons are why people choose not to bake their own bread?

I must admit that often times I don't bake our own even though I love making bread!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  3:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Time and physical illness on my part. I LOVE making bread!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  3:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hear you there, Annika!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile
I love baking bread, the smell of it baking, a hot slice with butter, makes my mouth water just thinking about a hot loaf. I have to admit though I am lazy sometimes and will buy a loaf of bread.
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  5:13:21 PM  Show Profile
Time.

We used to make bread twice weekly but then DS was born and DH started law school. Now we are happy if I can get my ducks in a row and make it to the grocery store each week or so.

I miss making our own bread and I hope I'll be able to start back up sometime in the near future.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  5:26:11 PM  Show Profile
I love making bread but with only two of us (and Hubby is on the road a lot) we just don't go through the bread very fast. A week ago I baked two loaves and gave one to our friends. We are almost to the end of the first loaf.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  5:32:10 PM  Show Profile
I love it and do it all the time trying to make sure I have some one to give it to. If I don't make sure it has a home to go to I would eat it all and then it would be baddddddddddddd for my weight.

I always try to take some to girl that does my hair she really seems to enjoy it.I make a sun dried tomato rosmary onion foccoia bread that she loves
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile
I do bake my own bread, but not all my bread....the two things most responsible are time and temperature. I am looking forward to resuming baking now that the summer heat is dwindling. As for time...I really enjoy the process of so-called traditional breadbaking, that made most recently popular here in the 70s by James Beard. I enjoy the kneading and, as long as my arthritis is not acting up, actually find it therapeutic. In the last couple years I have mostly converted to using natural yeast instead of commercial, as well. But I do want to investigate the perhaps more historically traditional methods of no-knead bread making. I have put it off because of all the wonderful bread books available that do not use it LOL, several of which I own. But this winter it is finally time, I think. After all, I can still use those older books when I have the time, but I really want to make ALL my own bread, you know?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  7:14:07 PM  Show Profile
I have a simple recipe which I make often (and tortillas too) but really any other bread kind of turns me off because of all the fuss. For example I made brotchen (which was really good) but you had to knead it and then let it set for 4 hours then place in on the sheet and let it set for another 2 hours. I don't have all day to be making bread.

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  03:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Time constraints and the weather. We've had a really hot summer. Perhaps when it cools off I can fire up the oven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  06:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I use my bread machine. It cuts down on time and heat. I am hoping to make bread by hand this fall/winter. I just get lazy and use the machine.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  08:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely nothing! I use the recipe from the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," using a combo of non-bleached white and whole wheat flour. We use that recipe for everything from bread to rolls to pizza dough to spinach pie dough to even cinnamon roll dough! I don't bake quite as much during the summer because of the heat, but as soon as the cooler weather hits, the bread is in the oven almost daily - and my son's friends are always looking for it, too! The recipe is on their website, and the book itself contains a plethora of other types of bread recipes which I hope to try one day. But this one recipe keeps us going. The thing I like about it so much is that you just mix it, let it rise, and then shape and bake - no kneading, no real mess. And you can make the dough ahead of time and it can be stored in the fridge up to 10 days...although, to be honest, it never lasts long enough in our house for that! :) I think I read somewhere that MJ has a similar type recipe... has anyone tried it or know where I can find it? Thanks! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  09:25:02 AM  Show Profile
Simply stated... time and scheduling. I love homemade bread. I would make all of ours except for the crazy schedule I work under. Hoping with the cooler weather and canning season slowing down I can work bread back into my life!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Interesting that so many say time is a factor. Funny that it doesn't really take all that much time per se, but you have to be around every so many hours to do the next step. Working outside the home really puts a damper on bread making!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  10:02:48 AM  Show Profile
I love every aspect of baking my own bread even including the mess in the kitchen-BUT, I would eat bread all day long if I baked it---

There is nothing like homemade bread fresh from the oven with homemade jelly or plum butter!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  11:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Trying to get a gluten free bread with no yeast to cook right is the reason I don't bake it as often. It either comes out to dense and tastes undercooked in the bread machine.
But, I do have a recipe I used to make in my crock pot before Lyme that was delicious that I was thinking of trying again with some different gluten/yeast free recipes.
Anyone have any good gluten/yeast free bread recipes they'd like to share with me?

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunsinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  1:16:37 PM  Show Profile
We are newly gluten free, dx celiac about 2 months ago and my youngest child is allergic to wheat. I baked most of our bread for the last 14 years, and now I'm just trying to adjust to our new diet. I imagine I'll get back into it eventually, store bought gluten free bread is EXPENSIVE and doesn't taste very good.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  1:19:05 PM  Show Profile
What holds me back is the fact that I have to eat it all myself. I don't do much backing anymore for that reason. My DIL is on a special diet and can't eat carbs of any kind. My sister is the same. Now that I'm going on vacation, I can cook for my son and his family. All they want is my fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  5:09:31 PM  Show Profile
I've never made homemade bread....quick breads, yes, but not good ol' bread. I think I'm scared to try it because I've heard alot of time is invloved. It's funny this post showed up when it did...I was just telling DH over the weekend that I'd like to try to make bread! After reading the responses.....I will definitely be trying it soon. Anyone have a good recipe for a beginner?

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  8:04:47 PM  Show Profile
In a nutshell...I can be lazy. I admit it. Some days I'm scrubbing the ceiling with a toothbrush and others I just don't want to do much of anything. Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  8:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Well I made bread yesterday for our cabbage burgers and I need to make some more tomorrow for more cabbage burgers as the first batch have been eaten!! So yummy!

Anyway- one of the things that I dislike about making bread is cleaning up the mess! So I have figured out a way to make bread using one large bowl and a plate.

The bowl I have has about a 6-8 inch bottom and flares up to be about 2.5 feet across. It's what we call a "popcorn bowl" in the house I grew up in since we would make enough popcorn for a family of 6.

Anyway I get the water and yeast started in the bowl and mix in flour to make the sponge. After the sponge has doubled I stir in the remainder of the flour until it dries up enough to be kneadable. Here is where I differ a bit from tradition. Instead of dumping it out on a surface to knead and work the dough, I knead in the bowl which has the side benefit of incorporating all the flour that didn't get absorbed during mixing as well as keeping my countertops clean. Then I put the kneaded dough ball on a clean plate and I do a quick wash of the bowl with hot water and a scrubber. I dry the bowl and grease it with butter. I then roll the dough ball in the buttered bowl and cover to let it rise as appropriate. I then shape and move the dough onto prepared baking dishes.

Clean up is a snap because the bowl only has to be lightly washed to clean away the butter and there is no flour/dough residue on the counter and the measuring dishes can be washed quickly.

The biggest time sink is the rising which is hands off anyway so as long as I start the process in the afternoon, we have hot yummy bread for dinner!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  9:30:21 PM  Show Profile
...mostly because of the hubby doesn't eat them.. for no real significant reason... he will not falter from his youth bread.. bleached white wonder bread. I don't eat that... so if I do bake.. and I do... I'll be the only one who'll be eating it.. the fresh home baked bread.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Karrieann on Oct 31 2010 9:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  04:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Time! although once I get started at it, I find it really doesn't take that much of my time. Pam
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  09:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Alee-That is a wonderful idea!!!!

My hubby has offered to buy me a dutch oven and the Artisan bread book. So I am going to be trying it.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile
I want to make the committment to bake all our bread but the time factor gets me every time. I'm going to check out the suggestion from Nini for Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile
I have both books Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I love the no knead breads recipes they have and the easy free form loaves. Very simple to have home made bread fresh daily. Once in awhile I will bake Amish White Bread from the recipe I found at AllRecipes.com. It is a little more time consuming but worth it! I love the smell of fresh bread baking, especially when it is cooler outside. Nothing like a fresh, hot slice with butter and homemade jam!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Quick Poll: What holds you back from baking bread? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page