Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Argh! Why can't I get my sourdough to start?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Argh! Why can't I get my sourdough to start? Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  08:26:36 AM  Show Profile
I started a new batch of sourdough starter Wed. this week. The first 3 days it's looking good and nice and bubbly. But it does not smell good. So yesterday I check it and it's gray with grayish water on top and no bubbles. I stirred it up and nothing. This morning it's the same. I went ahead and poured off the liquid and added 1/3 cup of flour and stirred real good. I hace a damp cloth over the top ina ceramic bowl.

What is wrong with me? Why can't I get it going? I have it sitting on the counter in the kitchen right near my kambucha jugs and kefir. I keep the thermostat at 77. HELP!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  6:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Do you have hard water? I found out that is why I was always having problems getting mine started.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  9:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Well water will kill it to. I had my best luck with no damp cloth just a tupperware with a lid not closed tight.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  06:55:41 AM  Show Profile
I was using filtered water. And I had just read that it should be several feet away from other fermenting things. SO I will try again and put it across the room on the other counter with a dry cloth. I don't have lids that will fit this bowl.

Thanks ya'll. It's just so frustrating. I might try the wild grape yeast that I saw someone talking about before.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  08:05:17 AM  Show Profile
kris not sure if this is it. but are you using bromated flour. it will not grow. just a thought the flour starter will turn grey if its not pure organic non bromated/ happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  08:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Here's my experience:
I use well water, it works just fine- from our well at least.
I use organic flour but not all organic flours are created equal- Bob's Red Mill organic killed my starter.
For the first week or so I need to really baby my starter to get it going. I feed 2x per day with 2tb flour to 1tb water. Once it really gets going then I cut back to feeding 1x per day. The liquid you're getting at the top is called hooch and all it means is that you need to feed your starter more- it's starving. Just stir it back in and continue feeding. :)
Hope that helps!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  08:39:17 AM  Show Profile
I am using King arthur but not organic. I am going to start some more. I think I had read about maybe needing to feed it a couple times a day. I did stir it a few times one day.

Also does it matter if the water is cold> Or should it be more room temp? I put mine in the fridge in the filtered jug so it's cold. I am leaving some on the counter to get a little warmer.

I am not going to give up yet. I do think it's too warm in my kitchen. I might need to move it to the dining room.

Thanks for the help ya,ll. Of, the flour in unbleached too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  6:02:33 PM  Show Profile
I am starting over again. I will NOT give up. I am determined to have a good mother.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  09:43:07 AM  Show Profile
I just use the water from my tap so I'd say it's "cool."

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  4:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather. I just added more flour and water. It's looking good so far. If I see it just sitting there doing nothing I will add more flour. I have moved the new starter to the other counter away from the kambucha. So maybe this will help.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  8:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like using warm water- remember you are trying to grow yeast albeit wild yeast and they like warmer temperatures to grow. Also if you can place it by an open window to let a breeze blow over it- that can help "capture" some wild yeast as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
It's the 4th day and it was just sitting there again this morning. No bubbles. So I fed it just flour. It was a little runny. It perked up. I fed it again this afternoon and I see bubbles now. I sure hope it works.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Argh! Why can't I get my sourdough to start? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page