Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  7:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Don't be discouraged Tammy, next week will probably be a good one! The main thing is you are being faithful! I know that it helps me tremendously to log what I am eating. Some things I don't want to write down :) I do write down everything so I can see what bad choices I am making or what I can do to make a healthier choice. Hang in there! You are being prayed for

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  8:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sharon for praying for me. I so appreciate that.

Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile
My pleasure Tammy!!!

Ladies, are you out there? You are being prayed for too!

Well, I gained exactly a pound!!! What a disappointment! I don't understand why, I was well within my daily allowance and weekly allowance of points AND made better choices. The funny thing is I LOOK thinnner. I started a new exercise program and have noticed muscles I didn't know I had . LOL :) Well, it's a new week and I'm still trucking :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  7:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,
isn't that just the funniest thing. I noticed that when I started Curves and walking. I was like what are these? I lost almost a pound, so I was happy. I was just hoping to maintain since we were at the State Fair this weekend but I really did try to watch what I ate. So a new week and more to learn.

Praying for all you ladies.

blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  8:06:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to see you girls are going to Curves. I am a fitness trainer at Curves. I am in the same boat you are in. I follow the workout program, and I am doing the Curves Weight Management Program. I have lost 50 pounds, 28 inches, and 20 body fat pounds. I say yeah!!! to all of you. Keep it up. And remember, if you put yourself "on" a diet, you are setting yourself up to go "off" of it at some point in the future. It's about learning to eat healthy and with correct portion size. We will live like this and stay healthy for the rest of our lives!!! Love you all!
Mel aka coffeemom
FG#833
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  03:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies,
Sorry that I haven't posted lately. I have been on vacation and was limiting my computer time so that there was more people time.

I am glad that we are each still making the journey. The success is in the journey, not in a number on a machine.

Mel- Thank you for dropping in to offer us encouragement! Please come back and hang out with us!

Tammy- So wise, yes to "a new week and more to learn."

Sharon- Unwarranted gains, as well as unwarranted losses, are all a part of the journey. The important thing is to be on the journey. There is an excellent Internet article titled "Why the Scale Lies" that explains the physiology behind scale weight and weight loss. Just Google that title and you will find the article.

With the season changing, inclement weather around the corner, holidays and the food challenges they present, and our busy lives would it be helpful if we had a weekly challenge on this thread? Each week we could commit to help each other in some aspect of this journey to healthy living. Honest journaling, portion control (weighing and measuring), one of the 8 Healthy Guidelines, trying new recipes, moving our bodies.... If you are interested I will post a challenge for us to get us started.

I weigh in tonight. I missed last week's weigh in because I was out of town.

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Lida,
I think that would be great idea. So agree with what you say. I really have learned so much about food lately. I never used to have to worry about weight gain. it came off easily now it doesn't and that was the first thing I had to realize. I worked out at Curves today and boy did that feel good after missing a few days. Although I try to walk when I don't go to Curves.

Mel thanks for stopping in and giving us encouragement. It really helps.

blessings yall
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  07:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Melody, that is awesome!!! You go girl!!! You are right, it IS about eating healthier, portion control and a lifestyle change :)

Tammy, exactly. Congratulations on your loss :) Way to go girlfriend!

Lida, Thanks for always being so encouraging. I need to remember that gain/loss is part of the journey and just be encouraged to remain faithful. I would LOVE a challenge. Thank you SO MUCH for your willingness to encourage us :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  04:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Sisters,
My weigh in was Wednesday and I was down 0.8 lbs. It is a loss and I celebrate it. Speaking of celebrating- I think I celebrated my DGD's birthday too much yesterday. Besides the birthday food in the evening, for lunch I was at the hospital visiting a friend and pizza was brought for all of us for lunch, and for breakfast I was at a meeting and all they had was bagels with cream cheese. Most days I have some control over the food offerings, but not yesterday. I made unhealthy choices. No excuses.

I am glad that the challenge idea sounds good to you. Are Mondays a good day to start a challenge?

Enjoy the journey!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  08:40:07 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Lida!!! Good job :) I know what you mean about those temptations. I think you may need to bring Bagel Thins to the next meeting ;)

Mondays work good for me :) Thanks again Lida :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Mondays work well I will check in the evening as I work during the day. Congrats Lida on the loss. Temptations are hard.

Blessings
TAmmy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  5:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Our first challenge has 2 parts. What one area of the WW plan do you struggle with the most? What can we do to help each other through that difficulty?

The second part of the challlenge is more practical: commit to food journaling for the next 7 days. If this is your most difficult part of WW than commit to journaling for just one meal a day for this week. You can journal electronically or in a paper journal, but do it!

I'll check in tomorrow evening with my responses to this week's challenge.

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  3:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Lost 35 pounds on it, now off and just gained 10 back...feel GREAT!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  5:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Terri :)

Thanks Lida for doing this :)

Okay, the thing I struggle with most: I am allowed 18 points and am finding it hard to figure in enough lean protein. I think my body is lacking because I am being more concerned with points. Not sure how to go about getting more protein in my diet and would welcome any ideas or tips :)

Food Journaling: This is one thing that I am faithful with for sure. I cannot afford to not track what I take in because I know that the moment I do I am setting myself up for a fall. I do both paper and online at WW.

Oh, I also struggle with getting on the scale throughout the week. I have a hard time resisting the temptation and need to stop! :) Tomorrow is my weigh-in day.

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 13 2010 5:06:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  7:02:23 PM  Show Profile
I am terrible at not writing down what I eat. I do get on the scale each morning but it doesn't bother me. I did't realize that is a no no in WW. So I will be working writing down what I eat.

Thanks for doing this Lida and tomorrow at school is my weigh in. WE are on a challenge until mid October.

~blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Folks,
WW recommends that while in the losing phase of WW that we not weigh in daily because the normal fluctuations may drive us nuts! However, much research has shown that daily weighing for people in the maintenance phase is beneficial. A really good article available on the internaet is Why the Scale Lies. My first time around I didn't have a scale at home so I never knew how the official weigh in at WW was going to go. This time I have a scale and I got into the daily habit of weighing in while on maintenance, so it is a bit of a challenge to not weigh in daily at home, but so far I am not nutsy about it.

Tammy- What is the challege your WW group is working on? I have found that writing down every BLT (Bite Lick Taste) is key to my success. I carry my paper journal everywhere with me because otherwise I have food amnesia and forget that I grabbed a quick something in the lunchroom or in the evening. Happy weigh in today!

Sharon- Glad to see you here with us! Okay, the 18 point and getting enough protein struggle. Do you use any of your 35 WAPs or APs? They are there to make this program livable and can be used as needed. I usually eat all of my APs and half to all of my WAPs. An activity point is approximately 100 calories; a food point is approximately 30-70 calories, so even when I eat all of my APs there is still a caloric deficit. The deficit isn't as big, but I eat the points to make this livable. We will work on this together! As my points go down with weight loss this will become more of a challenge for me too.

Hi Terri! Thank you for stopping in!

My current biggest challenge- Not exercising so that I can eat more food. I did this when I lost 100+ pounds a few years ago and I know that it is an unhealthy thought process. So far I am keeping a rein in on this thinking, but as the points go down I want to not go back to that strategy. it is a struggle because I love being active and normally earn lots of APs with bicycling, hiking, snow shoeing cross country skiing...

See you later!

Lida

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  7:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Well I gained back my pound from last week. I was like oh this stinks. Everyone else at school lost a pound. So I put my dollar in the jar. I was a bit down about this. I have been exercising or walking daily and I cut out all my sweets. The hardest part is the up and down of gaining or losing.

the teachers at my school Lida are encouraging each other as we all want to lose some weight. We weigh in once a week cause some of us can't afford WW. So we work together and have a set a goal for a certain time.

How did the rest of you do?

Blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  1:50:13 PM  Show Profile
~Tammy, hang in there! I know it's both frustrating and disappointing when you've been faithful. It will get better! I am finding that if I have anything with a higher sodium level that will do it too! I will be praying for you to be encouraged and to remember to write down your intake. It really does help!

~Lida, I can see where it would be easy to fall into that mindset. I am praying for you too!!! It's wonderful that you have lost so much weight and are active now :)

Well, yesterday was weigh-in day, I am down .2 pounds :) I'm thankful that it was a loss this time, my body I think has been confused lately and I think that my hormones are out of whack or I am perimenopausal(I guess that would classify as out of whack, wouldn't it? :)). It seems like I just got through and am on again. Oh well.
I couldn't exercise for a couple of days but am back on track and enjoying it :)
Lida, I do use some of my WP but have not added in activity points yet. I think I need to wait until I more consistent with that and more disciplined with the exercise :) I will need to work out something soon and make sure that I get enough protein.

Oh and ladies I put my scale away in the bathroom cabinet and felt a huge weight off my shoulders

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  03:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!

Challenge progress for me- The journaling is a habit because I have done it for over 7 years. Even when I was off program and gained the 40 lbs I still daily journaled. Isn't that crazy! However, honest journaling can be more of a challenge. I can manipulate or compromise on the points if I don't remind myself about personal integrity and hurting myself with dishonesty. "Oh I am sure that piece of chicken is only 3 ounces so I don't need to weigh it" (when I know it is likely to be 4 or 5 ounces); that sort of dishonesty.

Our conversation about the most difficult part of the journey- My former tendency to exercise more to earn more APs so that I could eat more. I can burn 2300+ calories on an all day bicycle ride! If carried to an extreme that is a type of eating disorder- exercise anorexia. I am so glad that God showed me what I was doing so that I would accept his help to break that cycle. Now I intentionally stop some of my workouts after 30 minutes or I spend my exercise time working on flexibility and balance or a slow walk that won't earn many APs. I do these things purposefully to keep a healthy mental outlook on exercise. There is more peace for me now.

Tammy- So glad that you have a supportive group of teachers on the journey together. Unwarranted gains and losses happen. Your pound will likely be gone next week and make next week's weigh in even better. Sharon is right about sodium sometimes having a part in unwarranted gains. Trust the program. WW pays very smart people to research and create an effective and livable program.

Sharon- Hallelujah for the .2 lb loss! I remember being .2 lbs away from my goal and it took 3 weeks to lose it! During those weeks I would have been dancing over a .2 lb loss! A loss is a loss. Oh my, hormones and this journey... That is a while book in itself!

Well, last evenings weigh in was a surprise given that I was over on my daily and WAPs for the week. I think hormones were helpful for me this week with a 2.6 lb loss! So I reached the 5% and the 10 lb loss goals. Next week I will bring in 10.6 lbs (what I have lost so far) of food for the church food pantry because the WW group is using our pounds lost as a way to collect food.

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Lida!!!! That's awesome! :) What a great idea with the food pantry! Our fellowship is pretty small so we don't have one, but I'm sure that there are other programs in town that could use some help.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  05:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Has this week's challenges been helpful? My commitment to journaling has been renewed as well as insight to the most challenging part of this journey.

Tomorrow is a new day with a new challenge for our group!

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  4:26:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls

This week was a .4 pound loss :) Yay, I'm still on my way :)

How is everyone else doing? I'm praying for you!!!!

Lida: Thanks so much for posting the challenges. I'm glad that your journaling has been renewed!!! How are you doing with the activity points issue?

You know, pride cometh before a fall :) I didn't track my meal one day (just dinner). I just didn't feel like it, but started up again the next day. I am still working on the more protein thing. Doing some research and seeing what options I have. Found that tuna is a great source of protein and low in points. Lunches have been the hardest trying to keep within my points and making sure I get protein.

Tammy: How are you doing this week? I know it can be overwhelming journaling your food BUT it really does become second nature and gives you the right perspective on making healthy choices.

I had bloodwork done today. For the past couple of months I have had some dizzy spells. At first the doctor thought it was allergies, but it's not. It's possible that it could be my blood pressure adjusting. It was pre-hypertension (ie: 128/88) now it's normal (111/52). Anyway, I guess it could also be that I'm not getting enough protein or iron in my diet. I take a multivitamin so we'll see in a couple of days.

Can you ladies give me some ideas for lunches with protein? I had a Flat-out (flat bread 1 point) and half a small can of albacore tuna (1 point) with lettuce, tomato and low fat mayo. That was good but I'm always looking for new ideas and variety (low sodium preferred).

Found out that Bragg's Liquid Aminos is MUCH lower in sodium than low sodium soy sauce. Just purchased some :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  04:15:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Friends,
Sorry to be MIA. I haven't had much time to get on the computer. I try to keep up with the group over on the Virtual Porch, but haven't had enough time to get here too. Life should slow down soon, like in 15 years or so! When all of the gardening and canning is done I will have some more time.

My weigh-in this week was a maintain, which is better than I expected. I have been faithfully journaling since 2003 so it is second nature to me. So far the APs for food imbalance has not been an issue, as long as I stay mindful of the potential to abuse the APs. I think that now that I recognize it can be an issue for me I am mindful of it and I do things to purposely oppose it. I still do my occasional fun and long bike rides where I earn mega APs, but I don't go out daily and run just to get APs so that I can eat cookies. If I want the cookie I eat the cookie, journal it and live with it. I no longer run to burn off its calories.

Sharon- Thank you for your faithfulness and encouragement. Have you tried eating 20-24 points a day to allow for more protein or treats? With the WAPs you can do that. 18 points a day isn't sustainable! Sources of protein that are nourishing and low points:
-tuna fish,
-hard boiled eggs (3 whites are 1 point, 1 whole egg = 2 points)),
-low fat cheese sticks and other dairy or soy products,
-1/4 cup of favorite beans in your tossed salad,
-chili made with lean meat (great over a baked potato),
-leftover chicken or beef thrown into a salad or a wrap,
-check the labels for soups higher in protein then find a recipe for the soup and make it yourself if the sodium content is too high,
-there are some veggie patties (i.e. Boca brand) that are 1 point (a light burger bun+ 1 veggie patty + 1 slice light cheese= 3 points)
- Canadian bacon (1 slice Canadian bacon + 2 cooked egg whites + 1 slice light cheese + a light English muffin = 4 tasty points)

Hi Tammy! How is your week going? How are your fish and butterflies?

I am heading out of town for the weekend. I was going to be in an adventure race today but it was cancelled do to low registration. So, my teammates and I are going to still get together and have our own adventure challenge. The race incorporated canoeing, trail run/hike and mountain biking. We are going to make up our own adventure. I am also going to spend some time with my mother and my country garden.

Our new challenge for next week- Notice NSVs! NSVs are Non-Scale Victories, as in when we notice clothes fit better or that we can walk further or go up 3 flights of stairs and not want to die from it, or only eat 1/2 a portion at the restaurant.... So, continue to work on journaling but also notice and share those NSVs with us! If you can post them daily that would be an encouragement, but if not daily then make a mental note of them and share them with us when you can get on here.

Anyone is welcome to join our challenges! The more the merrier.

Enjoy the journey!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile
HI girls,
It is beautiful fall day. Getting ready to head for walk but wanted to stop by. I lost almost two pounds this week. I was happy. I have been walking and went to Curves twice this week. I love fall so getting out to walk has been wonderful physically and spirtually. I live in the country so I have been working on getting to the corner of our section from my house without it wearing me out. It has a bit of a steep hill. But I have noticed each day has been bit easier. It rained a few times this week so didn't get to walk as much. So I may have to readjust.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  08:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies

I hope everyone is havong a great week :)

Lida: Good for you! Maintaining is awesome! I'm so glad that you are doing well with your APs. Mind over cookie :) It's amazing how we can "let' food rule our minds and bodies isn't it? Glad you are overcoming.

Tammy: Two Pounds!!! WooHOO!!! That's great :) Good for you walking and being faithful with Curves. You're right, not only do we benefit physically but spiritually too when we are exercising and in better health :) I have heard of a DVD by Leslie Sansone on walking. From what I understand she is a Christian and the walking is for at home. It might be worth checking out for those rainy days.

Okay, I gained this week, .8 pounds. I have not been good and alot of it is not feeling well. I am still dealing with dizzy spells and a couple of times have felt like blacking out. So, I have been eating (without counting points) if I feel I need something. I know it doesn't excuse it. I have been incorporating more protein in my diet (thank you Lida for the suggestions). I got lab results back and my sugar and thyroid are fine but my MPV is high so I need to wait and see what the doctor thinks. I am also dealing with girl issues. Grrrr. it seems like every other week I am dealing with it and it's frustrating. I do use a natural progesterone cream (as instructed) so I'm not sure what's up. (Sorry if this is too much information., I am just struggling with everything and kind of on a downside)

Anyway, you sweet girls are in my prayers :)

Thank you Lida for the challenge,I like this one. Yesterday I wore a medium sized blouse (I used to be large or extra large) and it was too big :)

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 28 2010 09:03:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Weight Watchers? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page