horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  10:00:57 AM  Show Profile
I had THE BEST sweet tea in Gatlinburg several years ago. I can't make great tea to save my life. I put a pot of water on to boil. Throw in some sugar and tea bags and let steep. Yuk! Does it matter what kind of bags you use or type of pot OR type of water? Help I need the perfect sweet tea recipe! Thanks gals.

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  10:16:04 AM  Show Profile
I like to make sun tea. Take a large jar with a lid (I use a gallon). Fill with warm water. Place 6 tea bags in the water (or more if you like it strong) & place in the sun. Let sit all afternoon. Bring in & sweeten. Placxe in fridge to chill. I don't like to keep it more than a few days or it gets a funn taste to it. So I rink it all up that day!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  10:44:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't drink sweet tea but this recipe http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/IceTea.htm is how my MIL made hers and I occasionally make it for my hubby. I use about 3/4 cup of sugar for a 1/2 gallon of tea. Just don't let it steep too long or it will be bitter.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  10:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey Melanie,

I like Luzianne Tea.We also use reverse osmosis water. What I do:

Fill a half-gallon jar with water allowing room for 4 family size tea bags, place lid and let steep in sun.
I make a simple syrup with 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water.
To a gallon jug or container I add the tea (minus bags), the simple syrup and 1/4 cup lemon juice (optional). I then fill the jug with more water to make a whole gallon and shake well.

This is my honey's favorite and we finally got the measurements down :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jun 24 2010 11:00:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  6:20:20 PM  Show Profile
The key to making sweet tea is to add the sugar when the tea is still hot so that sugar completely dissolves. Its not the same otherwise.
I make mine in a cofee maker, an easy but good way.

~Kerry Anne
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

bluebellequilts
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Teresa
Georgia
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  6:36:11 PM  Show Profile
Luzianne tea bags are also my favorite for making iced tea. I drink unsweet tea, but I keep both kinds in the fridge at all time.

FYI - Ginger Peach tea from the Republic of Tea also makes a delicious brewed unsweet tea.

Here's how I make "sweet" tea:

Fill a whistling tea kettle with water and allow to boil.

Pour boiling water in a 1 gallon Rubbermaid pitcher (it doesn't melt the plastic). Add 2 family size Luzianne tea bags.

Allow to steep for 5-10 minutes (any longer leaves a bitter aftertaste)

Remove teabags and add 1 cup of granulated cane sugar. Stir until sugar is mostly dissolved.

Add enough cold water to fill up the tea pitcher. Stir a few more times to mix everything well.

Refrigerate and serve.

One of the BBQ restaurants we ate at in North Carolina served only unsweet tea, but kept simple syrup on the table instead of sugar. My husband (Mr. I'd rather drink Coke than add sugar to unsweet tea) raved about how good the tea was.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  7:19:48 PM  Show Profile
For years and years I made my own "iced" tea until my daughter brought me some "sweet" tea from McDonalds! and it's only a buck!

I have to admit---it tastes better than my own!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh ladies,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll give each one a try. Sorry Melody. I have tried the McD sweet tea-three times-thinking it would taste different each time. I thought it was really awful. It tasted like sweet water with no tea!

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  9:09:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad somebody asked about this. Years ago, I was on the truck with my late dh, he had a load going from Wa. state to the "south", I had never been in that part of the country so he introduced me to many good things, white beans, fried apples, southern fried chicken and sweet tea. Since I could never get the recipe, and have it turn out like "southern sweet tea", I cont. making sun tea, just made a jug of it tonight, so when it's gone, will try this recipe, now that I think about it, I think they said they made a simple syrup, that must be the trick!! Thanks so much girls!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile
cheneygal,

We should try some of these and compare notes. I always use Lipton tea bags but now will try Luzianne. Also, I boil my water, toss in the tea AND sugar so it melts however, I let it steep for HOURS! Maybe that's my problem. Sun tea sits for hours in the sun. I used to make a lot of that. Had lunch at "Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill" yesterday. The tea was pretty decent there, maybe just a tad weak but not bad.

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
... I put 1/2 cup of sugar into my 2 cup glass measuring cup, add the hot boiling water to it, up to the 2 cup line with a pinch of baking soda. Stir it all till sugar is dissolved. Then I add 3 bags of family size of Luzianne tea to it and brew for about 10 minutes. Take out the tea bags (DO NOT pinch or squeeze the tea bags)... then pour into my 2 quart jug and fill with water. For one gallon size I use 1 cup of sugar and 4 to 5 bags of family size tea... depending on the strength of tea that you like.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Karrieann on Jun 27 2010 09:44:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile
I just filled 1 1/2 gallon jugs with water and Earl Grey tea bags and put mint in the gallon and lemon balm in the 1/2 gallon. They are outside in the sun right now. I had forgotten all about sun tea. Thank you for this thread. I can hardly wait to try it now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  09:30:44 AM  Show Profile
Here's how I used to make it(no sugar now): Put about a gallon of water in a stockpot to boil, add 9-10 reg tea bags, steep no more than 3 min, add sugar to taste, stir to dissolve. Take out teabags, pressing them. Immediately add some cold water and 1-2 trays of ice cubes. Best to have right then over more ice. If stored in fridge more than a day, it can taste old.
Go to Top of Page

piddlin sweetie
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Vickie
Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  11:29:09 AM  Show Profile
we only use lipton.here is my version.

put on a pan of a tad over 6 cups water adding 3-4 family size tea bags/tied together.

(oh and if your regular water doesnt taste so great dont use it with your tea..either use filtered or drinking water that u buy at the store.. our town has terrible city water and we do NOT use it for cooking as it still tastes after its filtered thru my pur...)

bring to a good boil a few minutes / turning off burner and letting it simmer on its own...about 10 min

remove tea bags.

have your pitcher and a cup of sugar ready.

pour in hot tea. add sugar and gently stir for the sugar to dissolve.

add about 6-7 cups more cold water and stir again...pour into waiting ice filled glasses..
if your lucky put whats left in the fridge...;0

you can also do this with your electric coffee maker if you dont mind the coffee taste that comes with it.. I have friends that do NOT like coffee and when they visit i am sure to have tea not made thru the coffee pot... You can also add more sugar if you like.

Cant forget to add your slices of lemon in your glass too....enjoy!

Edited by - piddlin sweetie on Jun 27 2010 11:33:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  12:08:49 PM  Show Profile
... I like to add that the Southerners here swear to adding a pinch of baking soda.

here is why, "the soda takes out the bitterness and darkens the tea....this small amount doesnt change the taste".

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I now live in georgia but I am a northerner at heart. I spent some time in England and make my tea the same as there, only I chill it for summer. I use loose tea, right now I have a good black tea blend with orange peel but like Kristin I also love earl grey. That floral-fruity bergamot is so delish! Anyway, I boil the water, pour over the tea in the teapot and let it steep a few minutes (I make it double strength so I can add ice cubes, steeping too long makes it bitter), check the color to know for sure, then strain it into the glass pitcher with sugar syrup to taste which I make while Im boiling the water, it just takes a moment. Sometimes if I just have plain black tea I will toss in a few rose petals right before straining the tea out since I love the floral flavor. But as Kristin said, lemon balm is taking over and so is mint. Add a little. Sometimes I add a few cloves and orange peel and cinnamon to the sugar syrup, along with the black tea it makes a great spicy iced tea.

OR Try a fresh iced herbal tisane with lemon balm and mint combined without the tea, so refreshing and not too strong on a hot georgia day, this is great to give the kids too, who dont always drink enough water, sports drinks have artificial colors in them and most of us dont need the salts.
Karrieann, I am going to try your baking soda tip, thanks for sharing!

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Jun 27 2010 1:36:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  9:06:57 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I too have always used Lipton, but don't know if Luzianne is available here, I'll have to check it out next time I need tea bags. When my sun tea is gone I'm going to try the simply syrup, instead of just adding the sugar to it, hopefully I'll remember!! I do know if I let it sit too long in the sun it gets bitter, quickly. Last night I set my gallon jug out about 7:30, and it was "tea" in 45 minutes!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile
I dont do sun tea, but I am intrigued by the pinch of soda. I will try this.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile
I make it pretty much the same way as Teresa.

To make 2 qt jug of tea:

Using filtered water (w/ my Brita filter), I fill a tea kettle, let it come to a whistle, pour it in my big Pyrex bowl. If you want plain ol' sweet tea, use the black pekoe/orange pekoe like Luzianne or Lipton. I use either 2 'family' size bags, or 4-5 'regular' bags. Now you steep your tea, NO LONGER than 10 minutes. Remove bags. Then stir in your sugar to taste, while the tea is still really hot. This melts the sugar, kind of making it's own simple syrup. If you wait to add the sugar until you've already iced the tea, it's funky! Then, I fill a 2qt. glass pitcher w/ ice and pour the hot tea over it. If needed, I add enough water to make 2 qt.

How NOT to make tea: Use too many teabags! Bless her heart, but my mom adds WAY too many teabags and that tea is tannic acid city! Makes your tongue curl up, lol. Plus, she uses a coffeepot, which I don't know if that makes it more intense, or what. I never could make good tea until I worked at it for a while, and added in the sugar while it was hot. :0)

If you want some awesome fruity tea, try Tazo Passion, add 4-5 bags. YUUUUUUM. Me and my DH are addicted to this right now. I also visit a local tea shop and get a mint/cucumber tea that will make you up and slap yourself. I use an infusion ball for my loose teas, and I love them.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:23:37 PM  Show Profile
well I have an in law that is from georgia and her sweet tea has always been a bit too sweet for me cause she uses 2 cups of sugar to one gallon of hot tea and makes sure the sugar dissolves good. I think she uses lipton tea bags . 7-8 in the hot water to steep. when I make it I cut the sugar in half cause I like I said think hers was too sweet but she swears by it and says that is the way it is made down south. But the sugar syrup is the big difference , I think ....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm really, really new and hope you all don't mind if I jump in here. As some of the other poster's said, the secret is in the baking soda. I used to not care too much for iced tea, no matter what. Until I found a recipe for Sweet Tea, it it takes a tad bit of baking soda.

Now in the summer, I can't get enough of it, I LOVE it!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  9:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Violet, the more the merrier, I am def going to try that trick, never heard that before, whoda though!??

PS, I ADORE YOUR ETSY SHOP and the turquoise marbled bead copper pendant make me literally shriek! I is so gorgeous. If I werent penniless I would buy that in a second.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh thank you Sarah! I'll try to post the recipe tomorrow that I use.

Thank you for your kind comments on our Etsy shop! My husband is the designer and creator of our jewelry. I manage the etsy shop and take all the photos, and upload them.

Anyway, thanks again, we love to get feedback. Are those your dot com's in your signature?

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  8:08:51 PM  Show Profile
my 2 cents worth.. as for McD's... I always ask for it half/half otherwise it IS way too sweet even for my taste.
When I make it at home; about 2 gallons a day; I use 6 double bags, and about 5 cups water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let it steep for about 15 minutes, in my gallon pitcher I add about 2 cups hot water and 1 and a half cups sugar and stir very well to disolve the sugar. When the tea has steeped I pour it through a collander to catch the tea bags and stir, fill about 2/3 of the way with cold water and top it off with enough ice to fill the pitcher to the top.

Occasionally I had a flavored tea bag or 2 but then warn the family that batch of tea is for me.

someplace between lost and found
annette FS#1372

not all who wander are lost
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, you all inspired me to post my Sweet Tea recipe to my blog, along with some photos.

Please drop by, I'll set out more glasses! ~Smile~

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  3:13:26 PM  Show Profile
OK, so this baking soda thing in tea is new to me. I was excited to read it because my iced tea can often be a tad bitter, as I like a strong tea flavor. I tried your recipe Violet and was surprised how clear it was! The soda really clarify the tea, as well as take the bitterness right out. Not that it matters really, bu in a tall clear glass it does make a nicer presentation! But being the northerner that I am, I used only 1/2 a cup of sugar and thought it was a touch too sweet. I cannot imagine using a cup or more!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sweet tea recipe Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page