Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Derby Time!!! In honor, Kentucky "fare" for you!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Derby Time!!! In honor, Kentucky "fare" for you!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile
Every year, my friend, Julie and I host a joint Derby Party (also her birthday) at her home in Verona. We always have traditional Kentucky foods, and of course, Mint Juleps with fresh mint and homemade simple syrup (don't forget true Kentucky bourbon--this year, it's a small batch bourbon, handmade in Versailles called Woodford Reserve).

If you're so inclined, you can eat what Kentuckian's eat on Derby Day (and most of the spring and summer months, really).

Olive Nut spread
Good with wheat crackers, celery sticks, or thick slices of cucumber, or use on good bread, crusts cut off
One 8-ounce package neufchatel or cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup pimento-stuffed olives
Dash of hot red pepper sauce
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, pecans, olives, and hot pepper sauce. Mix until well combined. Store refrigerated.

Pimento Cheese
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese
2 medium kosher dill pickles (the original version of the recipe called for Claussen's pickles, but I've found that most brands suffice)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (three cloves yields a powerful garlic punch; adjust the amount to suit your taste)
1 4-ounce jar of pimentos (or pimientos, as they are also called), drained
Cut all ingredients except the pimentos into large chunks. (The pimentos are already chopped.) Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse just long enough to roughly chop. You don't want to puree the ingredients, just make them pliable for the next step.
Put in large bowl and mix with about 3 good tablespoons of mayonnaise.
Refrigerate, but set out for 20 to 30 minutes before use.

And, the Piece De Resistance, Benedictine Spread Sandwiches!

Benedictine Spread

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3 tablespoons grated cucumber, drained well with paper towel
1 teaspoon finely chopped green onions with tops
1 drop green food coloring (I usually leave out)

Blend all ingredients together and mix well.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Note: Serve as dip or use as spread for finger sandwiches.

These are my contributions...Julie always makes homemade (mini) biscuits with Kentucky Country Ham, and this year, because the party has gotten bigger each year, she will make Burgoo (which is traditionally a one pot "stew" with anything from lamb, possum, racoon, chicken or whatever you found that day, hunting) but she makes it with lamb, chicken and pork. It's wonderful and it feeds the masses!!

Have a wonderful Derby Day!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:33:17 PM  Show Profile
We are having a Derby Party at out farm. It is going to be our 2nd one and last year we had a Derby hat contest. Can't wait to see all the hats this year. We are having quite a few people and everyone brings something to go with the main dish. Will have to try Derby dishes next time. Have a great time at your Party.

Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians and SportHorses
www.whisperwindsarabians.com
Farmgirl Sister #561
Never squat with your spurs on!!!

www.throughjenslens.etsy.com
http://twitter.com/arabhorselover
www.hillbilliehoneys.blogspot.com
www.kountrybumpkinfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:10:00 AM  Show Profile
We're having one at work today in Lexington. I drew "Mission Impazible" in the work pool. LOL. It was a random drawing. 20-1 odds. Oh well! The town is just abuzz today! We're having virgin mint juleps, lemon bars, and other appetizers.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like such fun, Megan! I have my picks, but I don't bother betting anymore, though, I might run over to Turfway tomorrow, early, and place my o.t.b. I always love this party with Julie...old friends we don't see for a year show up and it's just a great celebration! She's from Winchester, so it HAS to be Kentucky food or nothing :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  6:55:48 PM  Show Profile
We are having one also.. Each of the woman makes a hat and we judge for best in show. We also have an indoor horse track and do horse races before the big race. I made chocolate burbon pecan pies, kentucky Hot Browns, Deviled eggs with shrimp and other fun things. cant wait to try the mint juleps. I Hope all your girls have fun at your parties! Post pics, I will do the same.. And thanks for the great recipies.

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  10:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the recipes, Jonni!! The Olive Nut Spread sounds delicious too!! Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

farmqueen
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  7:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing - these sound yummy.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Derby Time!!! In honor, Kentucky "fare" for you!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page