Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Repurposing...what have you done lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic
Page: of 21

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  8:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Rag Rugs, Rag Rugs, Rag Rugs....hit the Thrifts, buy lots of cotton sheets, bring them home, wash, strip and crochet...I have 3 going right now for Christmas gifts....

Anita, I found 3 100% wool sweaters(cardigans),,,so I think I will have to un-ravele them...I see a wool scarf in my future! lol! thanx for the idea.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  5:00:20 PM  Show Profile
well girls today I purchased 2 vests and 1 sweater today @ the thrift store for less than 80cents! Look at the blog "i am momma hear me roar" she made adorable hats for her younguns and I am going to make some for my adopted grandkids and brother.

lila
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  12:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Connie, I just find all kinds of patterns and directions on the internet and in magazines, the felted wool basket I made for my yarn came from instruction in a Martha Stewart magazine, and I have another magazine with wool christmas stockings directions that are so easy. I have made some things on my own with no pattern, one was a fun stuffed cat project I did when I was stuck home with the flu and needed something to keep my mind and hands busy.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  04:42:37 AM  Show Profile

i love this re-purposing!
we just set up a kennel a few weeks ago and my dogs really don't like being in it--maybe next summer it will be used for something else!
quote:
Originally posted by texdane

Okay..here's my "repurposed" vegie garden! :) The wood is "old" wood, that once was a sand box, and then my vegie garden 11 or 12 years ago. The vegies I grew from seeds from the dollar store (two for a dollar), that I started in egg cartons. The fencing is a dog run that we no longer used for that purpose. The walkway is made from red bricks that have been lying behind the shed for at least 15 years unused, and the scarecrow is an old Halloween decoration. The little sign my dad made for me years ago, from a little piece of wood and a piece of pvc pipe. I repainted the wording "Nicole's Vegetable Garden" with a black magic marker. What do y'all think?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  8:26:27 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by phonelady
I learned to weave old towels into rag rugs....

For anyone who is interested, you can cut old terry towels into one or one and a half inch strips and use a homemade loom to make bathroom rugs or small area rugs.
Here's a basic explanation of how too.
http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/craftsragrugw_setx.htm

You can also use the towel strips and make braided rugs. You just have to tear the towel strips with the grain then it doesn't unravel.

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  05:36:32 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I love the idea of mouthwash in an old decanter! I'm always looking for ways to "purdy" up the bathroom, it seems so neglected other than swishing and wiping.

Siobhan, I have seen a use for the baby food jars around on Google somewhere, to make oil lamps with them. Like those oil type candles. I have saved some jars from my grandson to try this myself.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  07:45:18 AM  Show Profile
Carla,

Good link for the rag rugs - I've experimented several times but have never been happy with the results. Now I understand what I need to do to keep them tighter woven. Thanks for sharing! Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  1:59:31 PM  Show Profile
I made a loom from two pieces of door molding and bound a couple of old broom sticks to each end after using a wood rasp to hollow out a space for them on each end of the side pieces. I strung heavy crochet thread around the broomsticks in a figure eight manner until I had the width that I wanted. Then I took a small dowel and used it for one shed and used another piece of molding that I sanded an edge on for a shed stick to make the other shed. I wove old sheets torn into strips for the weaving and am still using that rug in the bathroom. I cut the strings and tied them in knots to secure the weaving. I used a comb with really wide teeth for a beater to keep the woven strips tightly together.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  06:51:24 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made Mother and daughter aprons for an outting to meet some other farmgirls this weekend. I had a pair of curtains with ruffels that I made the aprons out of, and still have enough to make more aprons or something.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  07:52:47 AM  Show Profile
aprons from curtains with ruffles- what a clever idea!!!!!!
sometimes there are THE cutest curtains at thrift shops but i don't need them! thanx!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  6:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Penny,
That little dog-run garden kept us in veggies all summer and early fall. I had tomatoes and squash, bell peppers, hot peppers, decorative corn, green beans, and lettuce. It worked out great. My dog was horrified to be put in the run, and what a great garden it made for us...not too big. Good luck!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile
http://www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com/2010/10/let-there-be-light.html

We just recycled a used french door for our den...Check out our project on the link above.

Happy Creative Recycling,

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~
www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."

Edited by - dandelionhouse on Nov 08 2010 3:53:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile
I have really enjoyed reading all the wonderful ideas! My latest repurposed item was found at a Church Yard Sale. It was 10 wooden Christmas trees screwed together to form a wreath. The trees were painted green & it had a very sad looking red paper bow. I removed the bow & unscrewed the trees. Now I have 10 trees that I am covering the front & back w/ pretty Christmas/Wintery scrapbook paper. I sand the edges to distress & then ink the egdes to distress even more. I am using these for some swaps & gifts for friends & family. So, a 50 cent wreath is now 10 gifts!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 15 2010 10:20:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Beverly, neat. Post a pic!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole! I didn't think to take a "before" pic, but will TRY to post some "after" ones :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  7:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Don't know why I didn't think of this before...I came up with an easier way to fill my salt shakers. I have several different ones that I change out with the seasons (the kind with holes in the bottom and little rubber/plastic stoppers). I would fill them over the sink, but still, salt and pepper went everywhere! Well, I used an icing tip as a little "funnel", and it worked great!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  03:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Re-purposing all those extra coffee mugs we end up with has been fun. Take your plastic bread bag ( which you normally would toss) cut it to fit nicely into the mug as a liner. Fill it 3/4 of the way full with potting soil and plant some herb seeds. If this is your first time with herbs, try something easy like mint or parsley. Line them up on a sunny window sill. Once they have matured and are looking really good, you have a great quick little gift for a neighbor, friend, co-worker, even the mail carrier! A great way to recycle the mug, bread bag and best of all, a cute gift to brighten someone's day!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile
I reuse the worn out rubbermaid containers for my craft paints and to dilute glue in. It keeps them from drying out with the lid on until the next time I need it.

Then I use the empty washed agave bottle with lid with a tip on it to put water in to put the right amount of water in when mixing with the paint or glue.

I repurposed a tera cota flower pot and saucer into a display stand. Paint the outside of the pot and saucer and around the rim. Add flowers and vine etc... design. Glue the saucer upside down on top of the pot. Then put it on a table or floor with a statue or favorite object you want to display.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  10:31:10 AM  Show Profile
I am the neighborhood queen or recycling...lol...OK OK thats what they tell me anyway....I raise chickens & i am always saving plastic containers like old mustard or dishing washing bottles because of the squeeze hole....i have to dust the chickens & their coop, bedding ect for mites & this works so much better than trying to do it in a shaker or by hand...it also works great for mixing a carpeting cleaning powder onto the carpet, no big areas of tons of powder....I also have tons of unused coffee cups that I use for plants...my aloe vera love it since they like a small tight place to grow & I hate dumping the unused ugly cups. I have an old beat up metal colender that I shift dirt in when making my dirt mixes....I take my old plated silver wear that I have had for years that is wearing the plate off & make wind chimes with them as well as bracelet/cuffs with the better ones. I use bubble wrap bunched up in my porch planters before I put the soil in so that the plants don't dry out as fast. Plus it makes the big pots lighter & easier to move around. Plus I never have to throw it away...if I do annuals I dug the old plant & soil in the compost & hose off the bubble wrap & store it til next season. My neighbor got rid of all her indoor low pile carpet & I took it & cut strips of it to put between my garden rows so I could block out the weeds plus for some reason it is loved by the earth worms...who I will collect for my chickens. Everyday I come up with something new I can do so I try to remember them...should write it down I know....but I never seem to run out of ideas......lol...have a great weekend...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  08:11:42 AM  Show Profile
DH and I are recycling k-cups from our Kreuig coffee maker, and leftover plywood into seed-starting trays:

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/recycling-k-cups-and-plywood-into-seed-starting-trays/

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  09:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,

They look awesome!!! Your honey did a great job too :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  11:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon. I was really impressed that he used 100% of stuff we already had leftover from other projects. Even with neighborhood recycling, I am not a fan of the k-cups, but at least now they are getting a second life.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  6:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Last year I used all different types of things for seed starters, but the best turned out to be the plastic egg cartons. I punch holes in the bottom, and use the lid as a mini-greenhouse. There's a local business that uses those k-cups, maybe I should ask to take some of the used ones?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Feb 21 2011 6:44:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Better late than never :) Here are the pics from the Chritsmas craft I did, repurposing a wreath made of the wooden trees(my orig. post in Nov.)
This is one side of the tree
this is the other side
the green ones in the back are distressed & ready for paper :)

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  5:42:31 PM  Show Profile
I've been obsessed with repurposing clothing! I've been sewing up dresses for my daughters out of my hubbs' old dress shirts (the ones with worn collars and thread-bare elbows!). There are endless possibilities and I'm well on my way to making them all, lol! My goal is to keep the cost of each dress at ZERO, and I've been successful so far!

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page