Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Repurposing...what have you done lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic
Page: of 21

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Susan,

Where in Colorado are you from?

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  06:29:26 AM  Show Profile
I bought a plate holder for the wall at a garage sale and I am using it in my laundry room to hang my iron from. It hit me in the middle of the night to use it that way and I am really excited about it.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  10:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey Siobhan here's a cool idea for baby food jars, I would like to make one to hang outside http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/Homemade-Home-Decor/Baby-Food-Chandelier.aspx

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  2:48:51 PM  Show Profile
OMG! Kathy thanks for sharing that - I love it!!
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:20:58 AM  Show Profile
another cool baby food jar use http://apartmenthomesteader.blogspot.com/2010/05/magnetic-spice-organizers.html
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  06:07:09 AM  Show Profile
What to do with an antique ashtray? Well it looks pretty good as a soap dish in the bathroom. I love to repurpose stuff. So many of you ladies are so imaginative in what you do. You've opened my eyes to some new things to try. Thank you!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

somethingticking
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Sara
River Ridge LA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  2:41:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on making a braided rug out of old t-shirts. I was going to just give them away, but then I thought about how much I dislike the rough mat of a rug by my bed, and how this might be softer to put my feet on in the morning, more colorful and more meaningful as well. I'm sort of winging it as far as construction technique, but I think I have a fair idea of how to do it. After four hours of total work, all the strips have been cut, but who knows if I cut too much or not enough.

If nothing else, stitches can be pulled out and made again!
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  10:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
We burn a pellet stove to heat the majority of our house. The bags can't be recycled so I save them and reuse them for trash can liners ,to change kitty litter and split them open and lay flat when i need a drop cloth.Today I discovered the clear ones are just about the right size to slip over the top of a tomato cage to make mini greenhouses for tender young plants !
Susan
P.S. Sharon I live in the NW corner of Colo
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:33:18 PM  Show Profile
I just finished covering my patio chair cushions I had two sheets I picked up at Goodwill and drew a pattern of the cushions and recovered 4 chair custions and the top cushions made tabs with velcro to attach to the chairs all for under $10.00. Last year I had ordered new cushions for another set and spent over $120.00 for them, I didn't want to that again. Sure made me feel good to save that much money by repurposing a couple of sheets.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by somethingticking

I'm working on making a braided rug out of old t-shirts. I was going to just give them away, but then I thought about how much I dislike the rough mat of a rug by my bed, and how this might be softer to put my feet on in the morning, more colorful and more meaningful as well. I'm sort of winging it as far as construction technique, but I think I have a fair idea of how to do it. After four hours of total work, all the strips have been cut, but who knows if I cut too much or not enough.

If nothing else, stitches can be pulled out and made again!

I've made a really big tshirt rug for my work-in-progress covered deck.....and can't WAIT until I can use it! post your pics when its done!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, girls, awesome ideas. You all inspire me so.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile
OK I am so thrilled because I found some red silk geraniums at a garage sale for .25 and they were 10-12 dollars a bunch at Hobby Lobby. I am going to put them in a hanging basket on my gate and have a red and white theme.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  12:59:26 PM  Show Profile
Delicia,
Good buy! I think that sounds like a cute idea. I have some red, white and blue carnations I think would would look good on my front porch. Think I'll gather up all the patrotric stuff I have and do a theme on the porch. Have a good summer.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  06:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Am working on re-purposing books -- the children's kind that are cardboard. I read about using them as the base for journals in which one glues various items -- sort of a scrapbook of ideas for quilting, dollmaking, gardening and so on. Right now I'm still trying to get the slick paper pages off. Any ideas as to how to make this easier than just peeling and hoping it all comes off? I bought some at a garage sale and am looking for more.
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  06:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Another baby food jar idea: my mom, back in the sixties, was a great at re-purposing. She painted the tops a flat black and then painted pictures of herbs on them and kept spices and herbs in them. She also took big gallon jars and did the same thing -- matching sets. These she used for flour and sugar.
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  10:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, you might try using contact paper to cover those pages,
or how about using spray adhesive and decorative papers, or paper bags,
or just plain paper?
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  06:08:58 AM  Show Profile
I asked my DH about the board books and he suggested just scuffing the surface with sandpaper, then you can glue things on it.

I am repurposing empty cereal boxes into magazine holders. I seen it in a magazine and tried it. You have to use the really big boxes, so my girls are thrilling at the honeycomb cereal purchases! I usually don't buy that due to the price, but $1 extra on the cereal is cheaper than the $15 extra for the holders. I am gonna cover them with the end rolls of newspaper we get from the local newspaper printer and let the girls color them, then I'll label the fronts with each magazine it holds.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the great ideas. When I read about using the board books in a magazine, the author didn't say how she got the shiny paper off -- but she did mention doing it. I suspect some things will stick better to the cardboard -- but I can try anything -- it's a fun project to think about.

Angela, you will have great magazine holders. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  2:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Check out this site...all about re-purposing junk. Pretty Cool!

http://www.robomargo.com/trash

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

SunnySister
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Janna
Fairhope Alabama
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  7:35:41 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of the cereal box magazine organizers! I am definitely going to try that one! I think I will find some pretty papers and decoupage them. Can't wait!
Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies!

http://sunshinesisters.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:47:49 PM  Show Profile
My DD has decided that mac-n-cheese boxes will be the best thing to organize her index cards. She's cutting them and folding them to look like the magazine boxes. They are so cute on her desk.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  06:17:17 AM  Show Profile
We occasionally purchase a large bottle of soda when we have company. Well, I hate just throwing them out and have a small collection of them. Then one night it hit me, cut off the top- right where the straight edge of the bottle begins. Take off the cap, turn the top upside down and place it into the soda bottle. Now, fill the bottom with water, allowing it to rise up just past the the piece you placed inside. . . an instant container for my wildflowers!! The weight of the water keeps them from blowing over, it's easy to see when they need water added and best of all, they look wonderful all lined up with fresh bouquets waiting to be purchased!

Joanna #566
"Keeping Traditions Alive A Stitch At A Time"
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:24:58 PM  Show Profile
I had some leftover wallpaper and used it as book covers for ugly old utilitarian 3-ring binders (I have about a dozen, each a differnt category full of tear sheets & project ideas torn from magazines and catalogues). Might also work on the book boards.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:16:15 PM  Show Profile
I purchased a little child's plastic push wheelbarrow at a garage sale for my grandchildren ages 1 1/2 and almost 3. They live in northern Montana so the wheelbarrow was sitting aroudn a lot. I was going to plant flowers in it, but then it wouldnt' be available when the kids come. So I put the wheelbarrow to work.

I use it when I am weeding the garden. I weed on my hands and knees and push the little wheelbarrow between the rows and throw weeds into it. It's perfect and its cheerful color makes me smile. I need another one for all the rocks I pick out of the garden. Happy in the garden, Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Here's another repurposing. I use the bottom half of an old tea ball to shake paprika over chicken or potato salad. I buy herbs and spices in bulk and store them in any old clean jar I have, which works great until I need to shake some out instead of spoon some --- thus the old tea ball.

Would love to hear more of your ideas. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page