karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile
I think in the dictionary under female is says=gofer. I find in every job I have had I end up being someone's gofer!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  2:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Karla, that well may be the job description of every woman born. ;-)

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  8:22:55 PM  Show Profile
I just started a home-based tea business. I do in home cuppings and am in the process of getting a website together, where I will be selling tea gift boxes that are eco-friendly. It has been fun and at times overwhelming. I am really hoping it will go well so that I don't have to work outside the home. Time will tell.

I wear my cape around my waist.

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  07:48:07 AM  Show Profile
What is a home cupping? Make sure & put your web site here so we can take a look!!

Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  09:35:48 AM  Show Profile
I have an Etsy shop with my fiance. He's selling his niddy noddies and warp boards for fiber art lovers (he made me mine out of oak and they are beautiful!) and soon I'm going to be selling my handspun yarns died with plants. I have a couple skeins of Elderberry that are fun as well as many other wildflower and plant dyed wools. We named the store 'Square One' because we got as far back in the chain of how things are made as possible. His woodworking comes from trees in the neighborhood that people want to cut down, he hauls them away and has them milled locally.

My fiber art work is from locally raised Shetland sheep and local alpacas as well and the wildflowers are wild mostly, no chemicals. Though the mordants to dye are alum and sometimes copper sulfate. But I believe it's inert once it adheres to the wool.

I'm having so much fun! Eventually we'll have a real shop! I've learned to make soap as well and want to get in to the herbal side of things, used to love that but all these take time and I'm a Farmgirl in exile.....I've got a 9-5 job! Boohoo!
Littleredd

Edited by - Littleredd on Sep 23 2010 09:37:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

mgary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Mary
Marion IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  08:13:17 AM  Show Profile
I am a veterinarian and opened my own animal hospital 2 & 1/2 years ago. My husband built the hospital and takes care of the finances. I take care of the personel and the pets. We have a full time groomer and massage therapist. I take a lot of pride in knowing that we are able to provide a place for professional women to make their dreams come true doing what they love. Mary
www.hometownanimalhospital.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  08:31:35 AM  Show Profile
What is a niddy noddy?

Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  7:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla,

A niddy noddy is a little hard to describe. Imagine a capital letter 'I' but with one of the horizontal legs twisted 90 degrees with the end pointing back at you. It allows you to wind your spun yarn off of a bobbin or anything else and you wrap it in a swirl around the horizontal legs, top notch bottom notch top notch bottom notch. One wrap around is one yard. So you can count and measure how many yards you get as you go. You can also steam your yarn while it's on there to get the kinks out. Very handy!

LR
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  06:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Ok I never knew what those were called! Thanks! I learn something new everday!!

Go to Top of Page

Sunshine_Sue
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Lunenburg NS
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  12:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla,
I'm new to the farmgirl sisterhood. Today I came here because I've decided to work on the Entrepreneurial Spirit merit award for my first project.

I already have an in-home business started. It isn't big, but almost pays for itself.

I teach elementary age children to sew. However, it is really still in the developmental stages. My business plan isn't finished, and I haven't had an official opening etc. But, I have been teaching children whose parents have learned about my studio by word of mouth, and holiday workshops I've done at the museum.

Sue

My On-line Journal www.shortfatmormonchick.blogspot.com
Home Business www.southshoresewingstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  1:05:20 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have a crappy business!! (Okay Septic Humor) We own 2 Septic companys here in central Florida. We have been in the Septic business for 27 years. I work in the office and my husband and son work out in the field. We do new installation, repairs, pumping ect., ect. We also help out our community alot. We also bury horses or other large animals that the vet has to put down. We do that on the weekends mostly. And alot of other equipment work. We live on a 40 acre old orange grove. We have started replacing with cattle because the county wanted to take our green belt away from us because the orange trees are old and dying. So to keep our ag. zone we have to put up a fence and put cows on it. I am thinking about a blueberry business...

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Those are very neat business ideas! Sue-do you teach the kids to hand sew or machine?
Dorinda-I think your humor just goes with the job! You have to be able to laugh at something, right!!?? Will blueberries grow in Florida? I know they do well up here in the north.

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  5:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Karla There is a small blueberry farm about 2 miles down the road from me. He has about half an acre planted. I talked to him last week he told me he makes about $50,000.00 a year off of it. I thought that was pretty good. He has a sign up that saids you pick and then he markets the rest to small grocerys. He told me it would cost me about $15,000.00 to plant a whole acre. Anyways so i guess you can grow blueberry's here.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That would be great! I say go for it!

Go to Top of Page

applesaucemom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rebekah

37 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  10:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow, inspiring work you all are doing. Does anyone make money from their blog? If so, do you have any tips? I just started mine. I'm a stay at home mom just trying to make some extra money and I am having a blast with my blog.

my blog: www.applesaucemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marisa
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

marisa
fort worth texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  6:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Send marisa an AOL message  Send marisa a Yahoo! Message
My husband and I have had our screenprinting, embroidery and graphic design business since 2006. We are also a homeschooling family, so it's nice to spend so much time together.

Our main customers are schools and churches, as well as other small business owners. There have been lots of custom jerseys leaving the shop the past few weeks! I'm glad people are still spending money on children's sports and school groups in this economy. :-)

We love our work; we wish we had a little more time to be creative and make our own products for our etsy shops that have been languishing in obscurity since I created them! I also am trying to get more layout/design work - magazines and newsletters are my favorite! My husband loves doing multi-media special effects t-shirts.
http://www.suburbanscreen.com" target="_blank"> br / http://www.suburbanscreen.com
my blog - inky apron - http://www.homesteadblogger.com/thrive
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Our family, kids mostly are raising Boer Goats for meat and selling the kids. We raise ducks and chickens as well.
We are awaiting 5 does to kid any time now.
We've set up our first website.

Have a terrific day!

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  9:59:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm transitioning my Watkins business (yes, I've been the "Watkins lady" for several years now) into a newer venture which will include the Watkins products, other spices/seasonings, teas and coffees, and various knitted goods (scarves, cowls, cotton bathmats and washcloths, potholders), and anything else that comes to mind. I also am a vocal coach, and am working to make my 25-acre farm self-supporting after laying fallow for at least 30 years.

Have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

CalamityAnnie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Carrie
Byron NY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  11:02:40 AM  Show Profile
I am a memeber of another forum (animal related) and I love these sorts of threads. I always learn such fun things about everyone!

My husband and I own an Industrial metal finishing business. We do deburring, sandblasting and powder coating. Mostly commercial work for large companies( because that's what pays most of the bills :) but we do alot of residential work too. We do alot of car rims, bikes, patio furniture, lawn mower decks, etc in the summer and alot of snowplow blades and snowmobile parts in the winter. It's not my "dream" job by any stretch but it is very useful and sometimes a very Barter-able business.
Actually we seem to do so many jobs for other people it's hard to get anything of my own done..hahaha. I can't wait to get my own heat and cold air registers re-painted. Hey, it's only been 4 years..any day now, right??

I would love to do something more peaceful though (metal finishing is a very hectic, dirty and loud job).

Carrie ~ New Farmgirl #2435
Maybe I'd be happy to let it all go and dedicate my life to making jelly molds, Learn to cook, learn to sew..I'm a happy homemaker" ~ Melanie Doane
Go to Top of Page

thuffphoto
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

tommie
san angelo tx
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! This is my first post! I am a want to be farmer living in the city. I am a portrait photographer right now until my dream comes true of moving to the country! www.thuffmanphotography.com and blog at www.tommiehart.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  09:11:29 AM  Show Profile
how do you ladies market and advertise your respective business ?
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile
I am a supplemental employee with the school district as a drill team coach, I love it but only get paid 4 months out of the year. need to find ways to make money the rest of the year
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile

I'm the associate editor for a Maine-based magazine. In addition to editing, I do a lot of writing and photography for the magazine.
I'm a woodworker and boatbuilder and my editing job is primarily geared toward process (how-to) articles.
Prior to my life as an editor, I earned my living doing woodworking and boatbuilding. I did that for about 15 years.

Sometimes I still take on a commission, building a piece of furniture or a small wooden boat. I am also working toward starting my own business.
I currently market my work mostly by writing for magazines and teaching classes, which lead to a lot of "by-word-of-mouth" advertising for me.

When I get my business rolling, I'll definitely have a web site in place, will attend some trade shows, and continue to pound the pavement for customers.

I appreciate hearing your stories. I'm learning so many good things.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Tommie!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi again Tommie,

I just visited your web site. Such beautiful work! Nice website too...

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic What is everyone's business? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page