fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi all :-) I just seen my first barn quilts on my recent trip to KY. It was a sight to behold...

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  1:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Quiltinmama - I just tried to visit your BlogSpot and Google told me that permission was denied. Do you mean to have your blog restricted? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile
I took a barn quilt class and loved it so much I took it again. Here is my last one I did. My dad helped me graph out the design and I transferred it on a 2x2 foot piece of MDO board. I don't know where I am putting it, but I loved the class. The first one is going on my chicken house. I think it was the night and day quilt pattern. I hope to do more of them, just because it is so fun. I
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'd love to get a Barn Quilt Trail started in my community. We are a small town (pop 598) but are along a well-traveled US route. There are a lot of old barns plainly visible from the highway and it would be great to put some barn quilts on them for people to see. Has anyone done this and can help me get this started?

I recently purchased a 4-foot barn quilt painted in Shipshewana, IN by an Amish gentleman. He used Marine Plywood and sealed it well. I need to repair the side of my old barn to prepare it for mounting the block.

Thanks for any help!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 25 2015 10:31:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  8:20:31 PM  Show Profile
I just love your Cardinal barn quilt, Kem!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  8:35:56 PM  Show Profile
I second that. Love it, Kem!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  8:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Now painting quilts! That is so up my alley!!! If only I had a barn. :(

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  8:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
You don't need a barn - you can make smaller ones for by the mailbox, on a chicken coop or storage building or garage, etc.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  9:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
The cardinal is a beautiful barn quilt block. I love the bright red. Cardinal is my birth state bird.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  12:16:05 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jun 28 2015 12:18:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  12:17:32 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jun 28 2015 12:18:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  4:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Linda: did you ever get a barn quilt trail going in your community? If you are still interested, there is lots of info on the internet. We have two in Minnesota and I put the corn and beans quilt block on my barn.I'm the one on the left.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  5:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Love the barn quilt Bonnie. No. Haven't gotten started trying to get one started. Lol

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  8:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Two gals, a guy, and myself have developed a committee, applied for a $3,500 grant and were awarded for a county wide barn art quilt self driving tour. Today we spent 7 hours painting with the help of county volunteers. We finished 1 6x6', 1 4x4', and 6 2x2'barn art quilts. The 6x6 was a paper pieced head/bust of a cow and will go on our local sale barn (turned out awesome), the 4x4 is a 4H design for the food building at our local fair which is coming up in Aug, 3 for the museum in town, and 3 for a couple who have a long storage unit that faces the highway. We have a couple of others that need finished. Talk about a fun way to spend a Saturday. If any of you have unusual ideas for a barn art quilt I would love to see a picture or hear your idea. We have a goal of 50 in our county. There are already about 10 individual ones up in the area. We are networking with a gal at the other end of the state that has a vision to get barn art in every county from the Colorado line to the Missouri state line on Kansas highway 36. She has a lot on the east end. Now we need to work on the west end of Hwy 36. Our goal is to have unusual ones that people won't see in other areas. This is soooo much fun. I told my husband I could do this for a living. Going to set up a booth at our fair to promote it and have 2 1x1' barn art quilts for a drawing. We will be looking for sponsors, homes for the barn art, and volunteers. Lots of support so far.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  07:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Where do you live, Kem? What state/city? Did you apply for the grant at the state, city, or county level?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 19 2015 07:16:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Bonnie -
I have not gotten any barn quilt trail started here yet. Still thinking about how to approach. I am going to post on a local FB page for a high school art student who may be interested in painting some for me. I just mounted a 4'x 4' on the side of my barn. Not too close to the road, but I hope it sparks some interest. I will try to post a picture later today. I bought the block in Shipshewana, IN, in Amish country, and they are not cheap!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile
I live in Oberlin, Ks, which is in the very NW part of Ks. Our grant was made possible by a gentleman that left millions to a small town over an hour away. There is a Dane Hansen Museum (named after the man) there too that has wonderful exhibits and also does art type classes. This foundation gives huge amount of money away every year to certain counties in the NW part of Ks. It is a very good thing for our area. The committee reviews and grants monies to projects they feel have potential to improve our quality of life. I know our library just received a $5,000 grant and is applying for more through this foundation.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a picture of my 4'x4' barn quilt mounted on my old barn. Unfortunately, it is very hard to see from the road, but I am hoping to get some smaller barn quilts painted to put along my fence line. I purchased this in Shipshewana, IN, a beautiful Amish town. It was painted on marine plywood and sealed. The Amish gentleman who painted it even pre-drilled 2 holes in each corner and painted the tops of the screws with the proper color.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 06 2015 5:53:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  05:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I love your barn quilt! The whole idea of barn quilts has caught my attention ever since I learned about them. They just make and old barn glow with beauty and dignity!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Linda, that is fantastic! He did a really nice job. One of the criteria for one County that has barn quilts on a trail is it needs to be seen from the road. Maybe you could put a mini one on your mailbox. Of course you don't need to be on a quilt trail to have a block. Just do what YOU love.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  4:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
You can see this barn quilt from the road, you just need to know where it is. I am going to have some made To put on the fence posts around my property. Hopefully that will call attention to the large one on the barn.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Maryellen
Stanfield North Carolina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  8:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Love the barn quilt! I know you are happy to have it hanging. It is so bright. I also love Shipshewana, IN. I am absolutely awed by the Amish. My husband and I traveled there two years ago and I am really looking forward to going back. Did you purchase it at the market? I did not see any there but we were there in October and the market was what they considered out of season. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  8:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I did not purchase my 4'x4' barn quilt block at the market; we were talking to the owner of a small Amish store around closing time and I commented on a garden bed that had been prepared for planting and asked if that was a vegetable garden. He said "no", it was for a quilt trail garden (people planted flowers in quilt patterns and they have a map of the quilt gardens through the town). I mentioned that I had been wanting a barn quilt and he said he happened to have 2 in the store's loading area. We looked at them and I bought this one. One of the shops in Shipshewana was selling 2'x2' quilt blocks for almost $200, so I thought I got a good deal for mine. We are going back up to that area for an RV Expo in September and plan to go to the Shipshewana large flea market the Wednesday we are there. I've seen the flea market mentioned in several publications and it is supposed to be a great one, so maybe I will find some smaller blocks.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  05:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Linda, love your Barn Art. We are have really starting to move with our county Barn Art Tour in Decatur County Kansas. We did a 4x4 star pattern with the 4-H emblem in the middle. It is on the 4-H food stand at our county fair grounds. 3 are hanging at our local museum (which is phenomenal for such a small town), We have a paper pieced 6x6 foot cow head done for the local sale barn, our funeral home has commissioned us to do a cross for the side of their building, our civic center is going to attempt to approve a 6x6 foot sunflower barn art for the side of the facility this week, we also have a Dala Horse for a pure Swede, paper pieced horse head for a farmette right out side of town, IH barn art for a International Harvester farmer, to not be out done one of my friends is doing a John Deere one, a farmer is doing his own wheat barn art. This is soooo exciting for our community and the support has been unreal. We may put Decatur County back on map yet. In the 70s 80s we were the county to watch. Hope to get that title back. I will post some of our art when we get it hung. Goal is 50 pieces up before Jan. 2016. 21 have been identified as up in the community so far. Anyone a marketer here? We would love some tips on how to market this venture. I want to try to contact quilting guilds/groups and get bus tours up here.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Here is a picture a friend took. I am sitting at our local Farmers market trying to get people interested. I did pick up one. She wants a Sunbonnet pattern. That should be interesting, don't know how we are going to do that one for sure. Can you see the book in the fore ground? The blue and yellow wheat pattern is going to be done by a local farmer and the cross goes on our local funeral home.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Garage-door Quilts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page