Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What are you working on today??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are you working on today?? Next Topic
Page: of 264

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  07:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I grow a lot of lavender. I think I am up to around 60 plants and I put a few more in every year. I do lose one or so every winter due to the cold but as long as I stick to the hardier varieties they do pretty well here. The main thing with lavender is it needs to be in well drained soil - it doesn't like wet feet.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  08:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Your wands are just beautiful!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  09:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Susan...$35.00 sounds like the perfect price for your bags.

Sheri...your Lavender wands are beautiful!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be happy, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:05:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the input PeggyAnn, I appreciate it.

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:32:30 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, how do you make your wands? I have two plants and have always wondered what I could make out of them. They're full and beautiful, but would like to make sachets or something out of them. Do you make anything else from your lavender?
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:50:46 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to a video how to for the wands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_huCB0_6Qo and one on how to make a lavender wreath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uoHWPNGUUs&feature=related

To make the wands the stems need to be really long and pretty thick. You can also make lavender baskets which are similar to the wands but instead of weaving it so long and wrapping the handle, you only weave about and inch to inch and a half, then divide the stems into two parts and curve them into the handle of a basket (with the top of the weaving becoming the bottom of the basket) then with a small piece of wire connect each group of stems forcing them into a curve like the handle of a basket. By using wire to connect them, it gives the "handle" some body. Then you can decorate as you wish with ribbons. They make really cute ornaments. Here are the instructions http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/tutorials/tutorial-for-lavender-basket-ornament/

I hope that helps you find some inspiration to use your beautiful lavender.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Just finished reading pages of posts! You farmgirls are so creative and inspirational. I have been busy everywhere BUT my sewing room. Hope to get back in there soon. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile
I was making something really nice for a friend of mine in Colorado. BUt I guess she gave up on our friendship.

So these days I am working on a knitted capelet that I am enjoying for the fall in "LOVE OF KNITTING" Summer 2011 issue.

"Yes you can/Si se puede!"
Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Here is an update to my handmade purses. I went to my daughter's and she and my son-in-law really liked the bags. My son in law asked me if I would donate one to the charity auction at an uppity golf club here in town. He is a big deal, something or other and has lots of connections. Together we named the bags "Lizzie Bags" because my dog Lizzie is always sitting by my side in the sewing room while I'm working. Gene (my son-in-law) said I should be selling the bags for $49.99 and have business cards made up, he'll set me up with a web site, etc. Yikes! I'm not sure if I want to get that crazy. I may be setting myself up for a big flop! Or, like my pottery business a while ago, it could get out of hand. Gene is talking of geting the local women to do the sewing for me, the cutting and I just merchandise the things. LOL And all I wanted to do was get a nice sized purse for myself. I'll keep you posted if interested. Am enclosing a photo of Lizzie, would love to put her picture on business cards!

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Susan...Lizzy is so adorable. Is she a Shi-Tzu mix? She is tiny. What...about 6-8 lbs? Just adorable.
I hear you about your SIL's enthusiasm and not necessarely wanting to go to those lengths. It is nice
to make a few to sell or swap and then move on to a new project. Starting a whole new business is a huge
commitment. And usually everyone's enthusiasm rarely translates into a profitable business.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  9:53:03 PM  Show Profile
Susan, Your bags look wonderful. I've been working on recycling old blue jeans into purses and bags. I sent one as mail art this month. If you want to sell them try etsy or set up a booth at a local art fair. We have small festivals like the Apple Festival, Harvest Festival....a lot people sell homemade things and do really good at that. I may try it with my wreaths, bags, and centerpieces. OOHH...some churches have craft fairs closer to Christmas, too. Praying it works out for you!

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

www.youravon.com/rodonnacarson
Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  06:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Love all of the feed back girls. Thanks so much! Peggy, Lizzie is an Lapso Apso, American Eskimo mix and weighs 18 lbs. She was the hardest puppy I ever had to train! She is 3 1/2 and the doggie fairy just delivered some more doggy brains and she is settling down and has become one of the best dogs (sorry Lizzie, I know you think you are a fuzzy person) I've ever had. She is deffinetly MY dog.
I also decided to try the price of $35.00 for the bags (seems fair to me, and I would buy one at that price) and to start with the craft fair booth idea. Don't really want to get stuck doing the whole "Have to make a ton of bags" thing. I did out and buy more fabric, only unusual stuff, and have enough to make 10 more "one of a kind" bags. I'm trying to keep it fun! Thanks for all your imput.

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Nice bags Susan and precious doggie. You never know where this adventure will take you.

Today I'm working on my sanity. Hahahaha. Been working on a blanket and I had somehow got off on the pattern. The edges are still ok but somewhere in the middle I had added some stitches or extended the pattern too far. I used a split ring marker to help get it back on track. It'll be one of those oopsies that the regular person would not notice. I'm glad the blanket is for me and not for a gift.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  10:38:31 AM  Show Profile

Susan...this is Bella my Shi-tzu and I think Laso's look a lot like Shi-tzu's don't you? Bella is
18.5 lbs so very close to the same size as your Lizzie. She is 4 yrs old. She is smart as a whip and very
loyal and sweet. She does bark more than I wish...but other than that she is a real Love.
I like the idea that you will be making your purses all one of a kind pieces. If you bought anything
in purple I would be interested in buying a purse from you at $35.00 + postage. Let me know. Or if
you didn't but would accept a special order for one...I would love it.

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 21 2011 10:41:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheri for the info on lavender wands. I'll be using it this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  3:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Just let me add one trick to bending the stems without them braking that a friend taught me. Once you have the bundle tied with the ribbon, pinch the stems between your fingers to warm the stems up. If the stems are cold they will snap. It's best to work wands in a warm work place. Don't let the cut lavender sit out in the open for very long or it will dry out very quickly which can also cause the stems to break when bent. If I am doing quite a few at once, I will put them in a plastic bag to keep them moist. This only works for a few hours or they start to sweat which ruins the integrity of the blossoms. Happy weaving!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  06:55:18 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, I just LOVE Bella! What an adorable dog. She looks smart and also ready to play. I'll bet Lizzie and Bella would love each other.

I'm very flattered that you would like to have one of my purses. I will e-mail you the fabric choices (in purple)and let you decide. Wow! My first sale. LOL

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile
Susan...Sounds Fabulous! ~ Yes...I bet Bella and Lizzie would get along great.

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Today I cut and pinned together all the pieces for my Alice in Wonderland quilt. Tomorrow the sewing will commence!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  7:55:34 PM  Show Profile
I am making a new dress and apron for my very large Raggedy Ann doll. I have had this doll since I was a toddler; she was made by my grandmother. Her dress and apron are getting sunbleached and ratty looking, so the doll is getting farm girl make over!

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  05:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Sold some more "Lizzie Purses", can you believe it? Have ordered labels and made up some business (?) cards. So far it's been a blast and very good for my ego. I am doing some fabric today and looking for PURPLE! We are going camping for a few days at the air force base, lots of work for me (my husband is in the end stages of COPD) but at least we get a change of scenery. Lizzie loves to go camping, Henry (the rescue Brussels Griffon) is the welcome committee. We all have a great time. Then will come home and sew! Yeah.

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  05:39:57 AM  Show Profile
That was supposed to say "fabric shopping". This computer can't keep up. LOL

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  06:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to Sheep Mom 2, I'm making lavender wands. I made four of them yesterday, quick as a wink, but need to make one more as I will be seeing 5 friends this weekend and want to surprise each of them with that wonderful natural clean sweet aroma only lavender has.

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
www.sharnymcclarny.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, thanks so much for the info on the lavender wands and baskets. Appreciate your help. We'll see how this goes.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to know you are jumping in to lavender weaving. I just harvested enough for 6 wands and am about to start weaving in a few min. I just did my last strawberry picking and took the netting off to let the birds have at the remainder. It's been an extended season here because of the cooler temps. (I know - we are the only part of the country cooler than normal) but I got well over 100 lbs from my patch this year. Tomorrow is Strawberry jam day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 264 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are you working on today?? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page