Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Restless Leg Syndrome keeping you up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Restless Leg Syndrome keeping you up? Next Topic  

gardening gayla
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Gayla
Topeka Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  11:17:42 PM  Show Profile
After years of walking the floor some nights with this crazy tickle in my legs, I've found a very easy treatment. Powdered Magnesium works like a miracle drug w/o the side effects and cost. It must be the powder as the pills go through your system w/o properly disolving. I buy mine at an Atkins health store for about $8 a bottle and it lasts a month or so. There is also a brand called "Calm" that works the same but is about twice the cost. The instructions say to disolve it in hot water and drink as a tea but I'm not crazy about the lemon flavor so I disolve it in about 1/4 cup of hot water. It kind of foams up and by the time it is disolved, it has cooled enough to just drink it down. I've known for some time that anything containing caffeine causes me to have RLS and now I am even having trouble if I eat a small amount of chocolate so keep an eye on your diet as that may be the source of your trouble, too. As I've gotten older, that creepy feeling doesn't just stay in my legs at night. At times, it wakes me with it clear up into my back. I just can't tell you what a relief it is to get up, drink the magnesium and to be able to go back to sleep. Even my Dr is taking it now as she also has RLS. Everyone that I know who has tried it has found relief and I hope it works well for you too.

Blessings, from a country woman in the city. Gayla

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  10:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Way to cool Gayla!! Thank you so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  8:46:10 PM  Show Profile
I sleep with a bar of soap tied up in a sock down by my legs.
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  12:34:58 PM  Show Profile
My parents and my brother all use the bar of soap trick, and it works pretty well for them.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  1:49:07 PM  Show Profile
my grandpa drinks coffee at night... he doesn't sleep very well, but he says it sure helps with the RLS!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  4:59:55 PM  Show Profile
ok I dont know if I have RLS. My ex used to tease me that I would wake him up with me constantly rubbing my feet together. I know I would fall asleep rubbing my feet together and well...if I am relaxing..I guess I am always rubbing my feet together

Uh...what does the soap do?

~Kayce~

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
My husband has RLS! He rubs his feet together and constantly wakes me up! I am going to see if he will try the powdered magnesium! Thank you!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
I have RLS and I am a diabetic. I take Mirapex prescribed by my neurologist. My primary care doctor has precribed a nutritional vitamin for me called METANX which is helping even more. I haven't asked to go off the Mirapex yet. METANX features the active, naturally occurring forms of Folic acid, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12. Its form can not be found in over the counter vitamins. It is somewhat expensive and my insurance doesn't cover it but my pharmicist gave me a discount card for it.

Live Love Laugh Much
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  4:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I forgot that I had responded to your topic and I went and started a new RLS blog. Maybe if I tried the powdered magnesium, I could get off Mirapex.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  4:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Ok what kind of soap are you ladies using. I have friends will RLS and because of it they have single sleeping quarters. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  05:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Gayla, thanks for the into, I have taken Mg. supplements, but haven't tried the kind you recommend, I will look for it.

Lillian, I think I have heard that most people use Irish Spring soap. haven't tried it out for myself.

sending hopes for peaceful nights. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Restless Leg Syndrome keeping you up? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page