Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade laundry soap!! Next Topic  

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  10:44:45 AM  Show Profile
I made(well hubby helped)homemade laundry soap 5-6 weeks ago...put peppermint oil in it and the clothes smell wonderful!! Can't believe how long one recipe lasted (still have about 5" in the bucket)and we're doing laundry for 7!!
Now here's my problem...I've looked through alot of the other posts and can't find the same recipe we used.It only used 1/3 or 1/2 cup each odf borax and washing powder and 1/3 bar of fels naptha. The fels naptha get grated into _____ amount of water and disolved,then the borax added slowly till disolved and then the washing...pour into bucket and add _____ hot water and stir,add essential oils(though what I added was sold as flavoring and worked well...lol!)I don't remember the amounts of water.Can someone please help? Thanks!

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  8:36:02 PM  Show Profile
This is what I use...1/3 bar grated Fels Naptha + 6 cups water. Heat in pot until melted. Turn off heat. Add 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup washing soda and stir to dissolve. In bucket, add 4 cups hot water. Add soap mixture and stir well. Add another 22 cups of water and stir. Add 1 tsp. of favorite essential oil and stir in. Let cool and set up for 12-24 hours.

Hope this helps!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  03:56:36 AM  Show Profile
I think I'm going to add essential oil to my next batch. I use Zote soap for mine. I wonder what scents would go together with that? Zote has a soft scent already. I don't know how to explain it.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  6:03:19 PM  Show Profile
This is something I copied and pasted that I think Alee posted just before I made my first batch of laundry soap. I think she copied it from a MaryJane article. I made the liquid as it was written and we've had great success. And I wash cloth diapers for my one month old and they come out great. I hope this helps.

The following is what I've copied and pasted:
Making your own laundry soap is very easy and fun! I am going to copy and paste an article that MaryJane wrote- It has great instructions in it. It is safe to use with well water and HE washers. I would suggest adding an equal weight of baking soda (equal to the washing soda) to the mix to combat any hard water you might have:

Cleaning clothes is dirt cheap with homemade laundry detergent

Is there anything better than the smell of clean laundry? Something about crisp linens just out of the wash conjures up lighthearted sensations of spring sunshine. I love the way that perfect, fleeting freshness makes the world feel utterly luxurious. But many commercial detergents, as well as dryer sheets touting "spring fresh" scents, contain toxic chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin and permeate the air we breathe, so a growing faction of farmgirls-at-heart are rolling up their sleeves and thinking outside the store-bought soap box.

Making your own laundry detergent is so easy and cost-effective that it's a wonder we ever started buying the brand-name stuff at all. The recipes for both liquid and powder laundry detergents are simple, natural and cost as little as two cents per load!

All you need are three basic ingredients: soap (bar, powdered or liquid), borax and washing soda -- all of which you can buy at your local grocery or health food store. For soap, I recommend going au naturel with either Boraxo powdered hand soap or Castile soap, which comes in both liquid and bar form. The next ingredient, borax, is a mineral compound that works as a multipurpose cleaner and bleach, so it's a green solution to keeping your whites bright. Washing soda, which is similar to baking soda but more alkaline, cuts grease and neutralizes odors. Here are two basic recipes for liquid and powdered laundry detergents. If you miss the floral fragrance of commercial brands, you can use naturally scented bar soap -- or vamp it up even more by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the liquid detergent recipe -- lavender is always divine! Please note that even though the ingredients are from natural sources, they can irritate the skin, so it's a good idea to wear gloves while mixing.

Powdered Laundry Detergent (makes 4 cups)

2 cups powdered hand soap (I use Boraxo)

1 cup washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer)

1 cup borax (I use 20 Mule Team Borax natural laundry booster)

Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight plastic container. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry.

Liquid Laundry Detergent (makes approx. 2 1/2 gallons)

2 cups finely grated natural or artisan bar soap OR 1 cup liquid castile soap (I use Kirk's Original Coco Castile soap, a very inexpensive natural coconut oil soap) OR 2 cups powdered hand soap (I use Boraxo)

(Note: Grating the soap may seem tedious, but you can do it in a food processor with a grater attachment, and it makes a ton of detergent--more than a month?s worth for my family!)

2 cups borax (I use 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster)

2 cups washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer)

Mix soap, borax and washing soda in a pan with 1 quart water. Heat to just shy of boiling, stirring, until water thickens and suds form. Pour into a clean 5-gallon bucket. Pour another 2 1/2 gallons of boiling water into bucket; stir well. Let sit for 24 hours. You can leave it in the bucket and cover it, but I like to store mine in vintage 1/2-gallon milk bottles. Use 1/4 cup per regular load. If the mixture separates over time, either stir or gently tilt back and forth in its container to re-mix.

Your costs for these homemade laundry detergents? The liquid detergent will cost you about two cents per load and the powdered detergent about 12 cents per load--quite a savings compared to around 20 cents per load for major store brands and even more for those found in a natural-foods store.

To eliminate the residues left on your clothes by fabric-softening dryer sheets, try adding 1/4 cup white vinegar to your rinse water to soften fabric, brighten whites and eliminate cling. Then, make your own dryer sheet by rubbing 1 teaspoon of hair conditioner into a damp cotton cloth that you dry with the rest of your clothes. Again, essential oils can add safe and sumptuous fragrance; just add a few drops to the cloth.

But what if you're in a rush and need a boxed brand fast? A few grocery-store brands are considered safe. Country Save, Earthrite, Ecover, Planet Inc., and Seventh Generation detergents are some of the best brands for your health and the environment. All Free Clear, Cheer Free & Gentle, and Tide Free detergents don't contain fragrances, but they do contain other petrochemicals, so they're not ideal choices if you're trying to reduce your environmental impact and exposure to toxins. Dryer-sheet brands like EcoSelect, Method, and Sun & Earth are biodegradable, nontoxic, and come in both unscented and scented varieties.

SIDEBAR: More Laundry Tips for Getting Clean While Staying Green

-- You can reduce your water-heating bill by turning your water heater down to 120 F and washing most of your clothes in cold water, saving the use of warm water for only the toughest jobs..

-- Energy Star-qualified washers use at least 40 percent less energy than standard washers and roughly half the water (www.energystar.gov). Dryers don't get Energy Star ratings, because all models use about the same amount of energy.

-- Run full loads of laundry whenever possible to save water and energy, and adjust the water level to the small load setting if you must wash only a few items.

-- Choose "wet cleaning" over highly toxic dry cleaning for finicky fabrics. Wet cleaning uses water and nontoxic, biodegradable detergents to clean wool, silk, linen and rayon.

-- Hang your laundry out to dry on a clothesline or drying rack.

Captions:

1) Keep an eye out for an old-fashioned small hand-wash plunger. It?s a handy item to keep under your kitchen sink for washing your delicates.

2) Washing soda, which is similar to baking soda, cuts grease and neutralizes odors.

3) Once you?ve made a month?s supply of liquid laundry detergent, consider storing it in vintage milk jugs.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  9:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for these recipes! I am currently using the recipe for laundry detergent from the MJF magazine, but I am always up for something new. I will give them a try.
coffeemom
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  10:21:40 AM  Show Profile
I want to thank you also for posting these recipes! I can't wait to make a batch. My daughter has very sensitive skin and I always buy the weakest laundry detergent I can buy. Usually a off brand. This is going to be so much better!
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  7:51:55 PM  Show Profile
ABSOLUTELY LOVE my homamade dry laundry soap...
Merry Christmas everyone....

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Dec 22 2009 10:19:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever turned their powdered laundry soap to liquid laundry soap? I really want to change over to liquid, but I have quite a bit of the powdered version left. Just wondering!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  3:57:58 PM  Show Profile
I just made a batch of liquid detergent today using the powdered stuff I had mixed before. I just used a little less powder than the total required of the three ingredients (Borax, Washing Soda & Soap), boiled it in the amount of water.

I put my liquid soap in old (washed) :) spaghetti sauce jars, and added a few drops of lavender essential oil to each jar.

Hope this helps!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Where do ya'll get your washing soda from? I can't seem to find it here. I went to our local store that carries the Fells Naptha and Borax and baking soda, but no washing soda. I asked if they could order it and they had to have a name of the maker. I guessed it was A&H. I haven't heard back yet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  5:47:24 PM  Show Profile
I buy washing soda at Jewel, a grocery store chain here in IL. Perhaps a hardware store by you may have it. I hope you find it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  6:09:05 PM  Show Profile
I get washing soda from a grocery store called Winco. I didn't know what it was until a local gal wrote an article for the local newspaper! I just looked, and you can get it from Amazon.com also. Good luck to you!

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  1:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, I think you are the one that had the homemade fabric softener? With vinegar and lavender flowers? And the carpet freshener, too? I think it was you. So I made them both. I love the freshener. I gave some as gifts. ANd the lavender in steeping in the vinegar for 5 more days. I can't wait to use it. Thanks so much for the recipes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  6:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
LOL I just came to this forum to post a question about homemade laundry soap but decided to check out the other posts on the forum first...that is when I found your post. I was wondering if maybe you might be able to answer my question. I have not actually made my homemade laundry soap yet but I have all the supplies and I am using the same recipe as you are.
My question is will this laundry soap fade out the clothes?
I am asking because my husband thinks it will fade the color out of the clothes because most of the commercial laundry soaps now have color boosters in them and also because borax is a clothes whitener.
Thanks for any help that you can provide to ease my husbands mind.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i want to make my own soap so bad, but i can hardly ever find the stuff to make it around here.

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  8:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
I found all of my ingredients in the laundry aisle of my local grocery store. The only ingredient that the bigger stores might carry is borax and that is far and few in-between. Check around at the small local stores.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  04:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Claudia- you're from Pennsylvania, do you have any Wegman's grocery stores nearby? That's where I get my borax, washing soda, and fels-naptha. Where I live, the small local stores won't carry them, but big chain store Wegman's does!!!! It's a nuisance for me, because our closest Wegman's is about 40 minutes away, but I usually stock up anyway....

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  05:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Kristy, I make my laundry soap, dry and liquid. I have not noticed any color fading at all. And I use extra Borax, too. I have noticed that the whites are not coming clean like with regular detergent. So I do have to use bleach for the whites or they are dingy looking. I don't like to have dirty looking towels and socks after they've been washed. So I don't think that's going to be a problem for your hubby. You should just make a small batch and see if you like it. And I use vinegar for the rinse, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  8:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Kristy - I have been using a variation of the homemade laundry soap for about two months now. I love it!!!! Our clothes are as clean if not cleaner and SO much fresher smelling. I had pretty much washed everything that gets washed with my recipe and have not noticed any clothes/bedding and such fading. As a side note - my DH works in the office of a gear shop and the "guys" coming and going from the floor bring in oil on their shoes which transfers to the cuffs of my guys pants...terrible mess to clean EVERYDAY. One day I was in a rush and forgot to pre-treat, scrub and soak :-) I just put the pants in the wash and the oil was gone and the smell with it. I call that pretty amazing. Now I wash the pants and double check the cuffs before putting them in the dryer...not one pair has had any oil left on them!!!!

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Zereen
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kimberly
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Zereen's MSN Messenger address  Send Zereen a Yahoo! Message
Do these home soaps work with the new HE washer ? My manual said I had to buy special soap for the washer.

{Deep in my bones}
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  06:17:00 AM  Show Profile
Made the liquid version for the first time. It turned into a solid mass of gel. Not snot! Any ideas why, any suggestions.

Thanks ladies,
Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly, they will work. I have an HE washer & use the powdered version. THe main reason they suggest the HE soap is that it is low sudsing; well the homemade doesn't suds at all.
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  9:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I do the fabric softener and the carpet freshener. I'm not sure, but I think I found both recipes here somewhere. I don't know if I like the freshener or not...it may be that I need some "fresher" dried lavender! Totally LOVE the carpet freshener though!

Erin, the top 4 or 5 inches is gel. Underneath should be liquidy. It doesn't matter though...it all works the same! As long as you put everything in it, it'll work. Mine never really looks the same way twice.

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  08:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Here are a couple of threads a few of you might have missed. First one is about pink laundry soap (some talk about using it in their HE washers) and the second about green cleaning recipes.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33611

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31340

Take Care

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade laundry soap!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page