Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, isn't that how it is...you're trying to wrap things up and get things done...and it's all going nice and smooth and then Whalaa...something happens to change all that....silly dog! Just can't leave well enough alone!LOL! that's nice he smells like lavendar now...so that worked?
my girlfriend hit a skunk once on the way to work and her car smelled all the way to work and back for weeks...but she went into work and they sent her home because she smelled like a skunk also! LOL!
phewie! your English tea sounds wonderful....I think I missed the brownies...but if there's any of that tea left it sounds good!
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  05:54:06 AM  Show Profile
My ex hit a skunk once while skunked himself. I made him undress in the dark on the porch and would not let him until he did that. Gave him a bath in tomato juice. He slept on the couch for a bit as well.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Good morning everyone! My hubby let me sleep in late this morning. He is at one of the high school doing a camp for the drum corp and then plays tonight so I have the whole day to myself. I'm planning on cleaning, doing a little baking and sewing. Darlene-that is a great site. I'm gonna have to check it out more of it.
Cherime-your story made me giggle this morning.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile
If you wash in tomato juice, rinse off, then sponge vodka all over, let dry, sponge agian, let dry, then soap and water wash, the smell will be gone. Soak clothes in vinegar and vodka water for a few hours, then rinse and wash as normal, it will come out of those as well.

My dad usually just throws the clothes away and soaks in the tub with a bag of powdered milk dissolved in it and 2 cans of tomato juice added, but the smell hangs around for a few days, just not real bad.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh My gosh girls...that story of the skunk brought back a very vivid memory from 7th Grade.
I spent the night with a girl friend and it was a very hot summer night in Spokane, WA and
so we slept out in her unfenced back yard. In the wee hours of the morning just right before
sunrise...here comes a Skunk Family heading right for us. They nonchalantly walked across
the bottom of our sleeping bags. WE FROZE...literally holding our breaths and trying not to
even wiggle a toe. Then they just calmly mosied on through the other back yards. That was as
close to a skunk experience as I have ever had...and that was enough for me. LOL It was like
two days before school started and I was so glad I didn't have to start school smelling like
a skunk. You know how at that age everything is mortifying! That would have wrecked my whole
school year I am sure! LOL

Gotta go take my Bella to the Groomer. More later girls!

Blessings,
~Peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 21 2010 11:47:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  1:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh Peggy, what a great story, when I read the line where they were heading right for you, I realized I had started to hold my breath, too. Funny!
I never knew there were so many ways to deal with skunk spray - although I hope I never need it.

Darlene - thanks for the link - I added the site to my favorites list - need to poke around over there a bit later.

Angela - have to say how happy I was to read of your bounty this season. And I wish I had half your energy - wow, you're amazing!

It's been several very busy weeks and I'm beginning to get back into my routine. I was getting ready for the community fair and vacation when I was last able to be here regularly. Happy to report that my daughter won first place in the youth calligraphy contest and my "Mounds" Scones were awarded the blue ribbon in the adult, quick bread category. When I get the photos moved from my camera, I'll try to show you what they looked like and put the recipe up too, if anybody wants to try them. No luck for any of us in the other art & photography categories but it's still fun to try.
The church food stand at the fair was very successful and we're looking at the best ways to help our community with the money we raised. There is so much need all around us. I am reminded everyday of how blessed I am.
After fair week, we managed to get away for a long weekend with some dear friends for camping and bike-riding. We camped at the dam on Ohiopyle Lake - beautiful. Simple tent-camping in nature - it's really hard to beat(but it's been even better since we invested in an air mattress).
I've brought an assortment of scones to share: white chocolate cranberry, gingerbread, and pumpkin. Trying to tweak a few recipes for the upcoming craft show season. Hope you enjoy.
Have a joyous evening....

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Aug 21 2010 2:01:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Staci- Please pass me a gingerbread scone, thank you! I love anything that has ginger in it. Do you have a recipe for them?

What a fun day! I slept in until 7 AM and then puttered for a bit. I spent an hour on my Picasa picture account trying to figure out how to send individual pics instead of a link to all of my albums, but not successful. I think that I can do it from work so I will try next week. I made a couple of loaves of yogurt whole wheat bread and they are very tasty. I brought a loaf with some rhubarb jam for us this evening.

I set out for a quick 20 mile ride this morning. Because it was supposed to be a quick ride I brought only one water bottle and no snacks. I went on my favorite bike riding road- the Oatka Trail Road. It is about 8 miles long, flat and nicely shaded with very little traffic. One side is a hillside covered with trees and the other side is the Oatka Creek. The homes are mostly old and there are many small farms, amazing vegetable and flower gardens, and beautiful stone fences. So, I rode on my favorite road, tackled Circular Hill Road (which is not circular but does have a long hill) and somewhere along the ride I made a wrong turn. My quick 1 hour-20 mile ride became 2 hours and 35 minutes and 40 miles. My knees and butt were not happy about getting lost. I was thirsty and ravenous when I finally reached my van. I downed the cold coffee I had left in the van and foraged for an apple that I remembered had rolled under the seat when I unloaded the groceries.

Have a blessed evening all! I am going to relax here on the swing with an ice pack on my knees.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:45:51 PM  Show Profile
We washed him tomato juice first than lavendar I have never heard of vodka I will have to remember that. He smells better today.

Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad some of you got a chance to check out Tipnut. I need to really get on and investigate more. I don't know where to start. I could stay on for hours if I had time.

Oh the skunk smell! Cherime, that is hilarious. How cold was it? You should have left him out there for awhile, he could've been your ex sooner! LOL

Reminds me of a story. When I was working 11-7 at the hospital in 1979 I had a patient that had esophageal varacies. Like varicose veins only in your esophagus. He was bleeding and vomitting blood to the point that he bled out and died. Back then they didn't have much as far as trying to stop the bleeding. I was covered with blood.YUK!!! No Hiv Aids then. Thank God. I went home and in the winter stood on my porch 8am and stripped down to my birthday suit. What a site walking through my front door and my husband's eyes flying out of his head. I showered until I nearly scrubbed my skin off and I threw my clothes away. I have alot of stories from my nursing career which I'm sure I'll tell you when somebody triggers this old brain! LOL!

Staci...I love scones...Share some recipes. Congrats on your wins. Awesome!

Monica...I love those bagels too! I guess I'll never be thin again! All I do is talk about food~ LOL!

Yeah for more pictures!

Chat after church tomorrow~praying for you all~

Hugs and Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

The road to a friends house is never to long!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lida...OMG. I don't know how you are still alive! I'm lucky if I can ride out of the garage...LOL! Come sit with us and we'll take care of you. When I was in nursing school with Florence Nightinggale, they taught us how to give a mean massage. So get ready...I might be old but I can still give that massage.Is Lavender oil okay? Running over there. Nurses don't know how to walk!

Blessings, Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness girls we have the best stories on this forum. We could seriously write a book!

Lida...praise God for rolling apples and cold coffee huh? I am sorry about your knees and bum.
I think you not only need a great massage but one of Darlene's tubs too.(Darlene...don't you love how I always lend out your tubs?) hee hee Poor Lida, I can almost feel your pain. But I'm
more like Darlene...a bike ride to me is going around a couple of blocks. I can't even
imagine going 40 miles. I wouldn't be able to walk for months.

Staci...Congrats on the Blue Ribbon for your "Mounds" Scones (and yes I want the recipe! Yum!)and congrats to your daughter for her calligraphy award. ~ Well, I have never won a blue ribbon at a Fair but I have won 2nd place in a Photo Contest or two. Which came with Ribbons and Cash Prizes. That was fun!!! It was through a Camera Shop in Vancouver that did the Contest every year. I am a Photo...Nut! I have put myself and my family in harms way...many times to get that "perfect" shot. And I almost got us arrested at Lompock Prison when I took a picture of the outside of it. Our car was immediately surrounded with security cops and they blocked us in, confiscated my camera and film, and made me feel like a first class felon...but after talking with us (my husband + I) they decided a little Christian lady like me probably wasn't taking photos to plan a prison escape for someone on the inside. So, they actually gave me my film back. Shocked me that they did. I still have that infamous photo too. So, my family...gets nervous... anytime I say I am going on a Photo-Shoot. LOL

Darlene...you and me girlfriend when it comes to scones, bagels, muffins, any carbs at all, they just seem to call my name. Especially if they have chocolate on them, in them, around them or anywhere near the general vicinity.

Pam...oh my goodness girl...were you really trying to make me cry today with that beautiful card??? Well you did! And what a Gorgeous Picture of YOU and Lola! Stunning!!! Do you know I could be your Mother? I think I will adopt you...I just love you to pieces girl. Do you still have your hair in that same bobbed style as in this picture? That gives you a very glam look. Hey, I could embroidery YOU! You have that vintage glam image I like in embroidery pieces. Except your not vintage...I am! Oh well! LOL

Well, thanks to all you Porchies I now know how to get rid of SKUNK SMELL! Or get good and drunk...one or the other.

Off to bed...Have a Family Gathering in Portland tomorrow. I just pray we don't get stuck on the Glen Jackson Bridge for hours. Either bridge is a nightmare on weekends anymore until they finish the work on the 205. I guess it beats swimming across the river... but not by much!

Sweet dreams and Happy Sheep Counting,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 22 2010 12:45:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  06:49:29 AM  Show Profile
It wasn't too cold. We were living in Cave Creek Arizona at the time. A bit chilly but nothing like Alaska in February. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to do that to anyone up here in Feb. Off to church in a couple of hours. To one for the sermon and to the other for classes in Hebrew studies. It has been a desire of my heart for years to know what was really written before the translators got involved and this is a close as I am going to get. It is so interesting I do all I can to not miss a class. And I love the rabbit trails.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
All this talk of bikin and work makes me feel super lazy. I have been fightin a summer cold and layin around for days, so my place is a disaster.

I guess we could pass the vodka around till lida's aches and pains are gone and no one can small the skunk anymore! LOL!

I once had my DH almost rollin on the floor when me and my 3 girls came dashin through the house from the back door in our birthday suits. We had went out to pick berries at my aunts house and wound up playin in the creek. I told the girls we'd strip by the back door and hang all our clothes on the deck railins. We didn't know that he had come home on his lunch break to make a couple of sandwiches. All of a sudden he had 4 naked females runnin past him for our rooms since we left the curtians open when we headed out. He said he never knew we were all crazy when he wasn't around to keep us under control and laughed and teased us about it for weeks!

Well, I'm off to get a little work done Porchies!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm finally back from Leadership Weekend! It was so much fun! I met a lot of great new girls, some who show great promise as leaders. It was also great time to socialize with old friends, and I did! One of my friends has an InStlyer, and we were playing with it last night, and my hair looked so good after she straightened it! Then this morning I was elected to be one of the scribes for our group! Basically, the Youth Leadership Council is a group within Girl Scouts that leads and plans different events for other girl scouts in our area. It's also a lot of fun! So this weekend was our mandatory training weekend for the new girls and for the tenure girls it was a time to vote and discuss some different things for this upcoming year. I had a lot of fun, and then in a few hours I have a pasta/pool party with my rugby team. So excited! How's everyone's weekend been going?
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
How fun Megan! Glad you had a good time. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

minnie
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

minnie

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Just read these last two pages, and wanted to say what a great idea with ya'll sitting on the porch, I would never think up somthin like this.

Oh, and by the way, to get rid of skunk smell on anything or anyone, just use equal amounts of hydregin peroxide and bakingsoda, works on animals, chickens (yes, I had some chickens that got sprayed one year), humans and clothes, also if an area gets sprayed , like the porch, it will take the smell outa wood and dirt, and cememt, plus it won't irratate skin like tomato juice, or cost like Vodka (thats a new one)
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Minnie! Great to have you here!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

minnie
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

minnie

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  2:00:15 PM  Show Profile
It may be none of my concern, but, maggie14, didn't you say you were 15 yrs old, my you spend alotta time on here. I would think you would be off with girlfriends, doing some girl things, instead of yacking with a buncha ol hens all the time.If I out spoke, I'm sorry, just tell me to be quiet.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  3:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Not really sure how to reply to you Minnie.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Edited by - maggie14 on Aug 22 2010 3:33:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Oh Peggy! You are so good for my ego! I want you to adopt me! My hair is still the same way. I pretty much always wear it in a 1920's bob. I'm so glad you like the picture and the card. You always pick me up and lift my spirits as well as all the wonderful people here. Goodness! Today I had to film a new video and my feet are tired! I was wearing heels and had to stand some of the time. A five minute video takes a whole day. We are doing rainbow cupcakes and I have WAY too many left around. 3 batches! Help yourself to some seriously bright cupcakes.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  4:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy...I am ROFLOL with your prison story. I used to be a prison nurse many moons ago and I can just see it. Surprised you weren't on the news!!!!!!!I know we would get in trouble and laugh to much if we ever get together! You can offer my tubs anytime...their free and ohhhh so relaxing.

Angela...4 gals dressed in their birthday suits? Lucky he didn't have a friend with him. LOL!

Pam...soak your feet in my tub and we'll drink the vodka that Angela uses for the dogs...why waste it on them! LOL! Your feet won't hurt then! Come on over girls.Oh, and we'll eat your cupcakes.

Now I know why I love this site...we're all a little bit wacky aren't we?

Blessings and Friendship,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  4:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Minnie...the Porch is a great place to be for young and old! We wouldn't know what to do without
Channah and Megan. They keep us young and enthused about life! We have every age category represented on this Porch and that's what makes it such a fun place to come to. We don't want these girls straying far from home...they have their social lives too believe me...we get to read about what they do. They have very busy lives. I am amazed that they find time for us but I am glad they do. Hopefully they learn how much fun us ol' Hens are too. There is a lot of wisdom, humor, and life that happens on this Porch. All Good Stuff!

Pam...yahoo, I am drawing up the adoption papers! Did you get the picture of me in my jaunty Fedora that I sent
via my blackberry? It obviously didn't match my green top...but it was just too cute...I had to put it on right when I bought it. I wore it today to my Family Dinner...my one sister in law thought I was off my rocker...she said, "Well, nobody wears hats anymore!" (I do!) My other sister in law said, "I love it and besides they say that Fedora's are all the rage again." She made me feel better. But really I didn't much care because I liked it and my husband liked it and that's all that matters. ~ Well Pam it sounds like you need to hop up here on the Porch Swing and put your feet up. Need a foot massage? I give great massages (had to learn how to do them in Beauty School years ago). So, between Darlene and I...we'll fix you up. ~ Oh, I'll have to pass on the Rainbow Cupcakes...my husband bought me a slice of Chocolate (7 layer) Cake to bring home today. He is so bad!
I could tell he wanted some...so, I said..."Ok honey, just buy one slice and we'll share it later." He comes out with a bag with two slices in it. Good thing they cut them in to thin slices is all I can say. He knows chocolate is my weakness. And I was shocked that the Bridge was smooth sailing today. They weren't even working on it. I worried for nothing...but isn't that the thing about worrying...80% of the time it never comes to fruition. SO WHY WORRY? It's a waste of valuable time...we could be laughing instead. Much more Fun!

Darlene...I think you are right on Sister...you and I could get ourselves in a lot of trouble together. We should behave and set a good example...but hey, what fun is that?

Megan...sounds like you had a fun weekend! I am so happy for you. Your sweetness sure shows through in your picture and your zest for living too.

Channah...thanks for taking up the Photo Swap again. And I hope we all get a picture of you soon. Find a good one!

Angela...loved your Naked Jay-birds story. I bet your hubby teased you girls for awhile. Probably still smiles to himself over that one. And like Darlene...when I was reading that story I thought...man I hope he came home alone!

Lida...hope you are doing better today after your bike TRIP! LOL Are you sure that you weren't just preparing for a Triathlon Event or something?

Well, I need a little nap...so, I'll try and hop back on later.

Hugs & Blessings to all My Porchies,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 22 2010 5:14:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

minnie
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

minnie

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  5:52:49 PM  Show Profile
my goodness, I didn't mean to upset you Channah, I'm just being a bit nosey, forgive me please, I don't mean nothin by it. Its just not real often you see girls your age being homebodys anymore, if you are happy, thats all that matters, right?
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
No worries Minnie. I wasn't upset either. Just didn't know what to say. Everyone has welcomed me when I joined and no one asked why I was here. Thats all.
Yes I am 15, almost 16 and not really a homebody. As you can tell me and Megan are really active in our small towns but aren't like alot of the girls you see now adays.
I'm so sorry if this upsetting you that I am here.

Peggy, Thank you so much!!

Hugs,
Channah

P.s. Working on getting a great photo of myself for you all!

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

minnie
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

minnie

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Channah, not upseting me at all, was just surprised that in todays world a teen would be enjoying a chatroom with us hens, I for one is more than happy to share lifes experiences with the younger crowd, would love to see more interested in this way of life and not out in the big nasty and scary world of today.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page