Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:02:27 PM  Show Profile
Dana! You poor thing! You so deserve a break and more! I have cantaloupe jam and biscuits to go with your lemonade.

I'm ready for a break myself. I canned 2 dozen jars of sauce and juice last night and rearranged the livin room this mornin. That wonderful player piano we got takes 2 people to push it across the room! The casters are wore out, so they need replaced when DH works on the bellows. I need to take a brush to the fans to clean off the screens, but that's gonna have to wait for now. I did get 2 more windows open and the furniture out of the way, so the house is coolin down. Time to sit down and rest.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Angela, it sounds like that rest is well deserved! I changed my sheets, finally! I've been fixing to do that for a while, and I finally did it. I have a loft bed, so getting the new sheets on is a pain in the rear! Oh well, it had to be done!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  3:26:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm gonna be workin on the bedroom tomorrow. It won't be a major cleanin. I have to take the girls to Kiddie Day at the fair, so we'll be gone most of the day. I'm lookin for somethin for dinner, so I guess I better get to work on that.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  7:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Dana,
What a story! I hope your little one is completely healed....and as for you...don't rush anything....this takes time......healing...just relax..and it will all be waiting for you when you're ready to tackle it all...trust me on that one....
Family funerals can be stressful....the last funeral I went to was not a family member, but the entire family of the deceased were fighting throughout the whole funeral...it seems to bring out the best and worst times....
At my Dad's funeral, my sisters were whispering in the pews to each other about some things we were remembering about our Dad and I just started laughing and couldn't quit...and to this day, I have some family members that think I was disrespectful and laughing at my dad, when actually, we were laughing at a phrase he used to always say and if he were at his own funeral he would've said it right then and there...it still makes me laugh!!!
I hope you just relax in the memories of your DAD and don't worry about all the things you need to do...just do them little by little...take time to mourn...it's important...
Oh, by the way, I'd love some of that lemonade....I brought some yummy fresh strawberries...they're pretty good in lemonade...have you tried that before?

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Holy cow is it hot out! With the humidity the heat index is at 107. I thought I was going to finish trimming bushes this afternoon but no way am I going out in that sun until this evening. The kids had riding lessons this morning and after 2 hrs with the horses they were about to fall out of the saddle. We stopped for ice cream on the way home and then all sat in front of a fan for a while to cool down some.

About 4:30 I woke up to lots of thunder and lightning. Thought maybe Megan's rain dance did the trick. I guess my going out there and giving it a go, thinking a little extra would help, made it spin north of here. Not a drop! Arg!!! We have a 50% chance of rain predicted for today, which is better than the 40% yesterday and 30% the day before. Maybe if I keep the windows open when we leave later the rain will come.

Thank you for the strawberry lemonade. I just love it that way!

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  8:14:02 PM  Show Profile
We hit 108 in our little town with a ten degree heat index! 118! And on Kiddie Day at the fair! We only stayed for 2 hours and left. Then we went to McDonalds for sodas and a/c! We stayed there for 3 hours. Then we ran out to pick Hubby up from work and back to McDonalds for dinner and another 2 hours cool down session. They have a indoor playplace at ours! Then to the grocery store, where we took our time shoppin. We got home just in time for bed. Less clothes and fans blowin across us, much better than the heat. The storms tonight are supposed to bring a different pressure front and 20 degrees cooler weather. I can't wait for the rain!

I hope everyone avoided the heat today!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  02:21:48 AM  Show Profile
Who did the rain dance for me? Huh? One of you must have done a successful one because it actually rained some last night. It was a quick torrential downpour and the current went off for a bit, but at this point any rain is welcome - especially after we had 2 other big storms go around us earlier.

Today Nicholas has another day of Cub Scout camp. He's really enjoying it, even though they cancelled swimming at the end of the day because of, yup, you guessed it, rain. Other than that going on I'm going to hang out here and get some things done until his reading tutor. Lots to do so I'm not sure what'll come first. Everyone have a wonderful day and I'll catch up with you later.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm dragging up to the porch this week.......I'm just gonna sit and rock awhile.....I'm so tired today.....I think I need something cold to drink.....fresh coool water with a sprig of mint or something refreshing ....and just sit and listen to all you porchies with your great stories of life!!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  09:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I have some suntea with mint if you'd like some. It sounds like you need some rest. The porch swings seem to be a nice place to nap. Curl up in one!

I have a house to clean and laundry to do, so I'll be boppin through off and on inbetween loads to catch my breath! I have a pretty busy day, but there's some beef stew simmerin on the stove, should be ready for dinner!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  10:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Sorry I've been MIA. Just dealing with life-how dare it get in the way of me playing with my friends? LOL!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, maybe my little dance worked...:) Today it is pretty nice here. I'm going to enjoy it, because it's supposed to get super hot out soon. Oh well! That's a Wisconsin summer!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey Megan maybe you could do a little rain dance for me too. All we have here in Ca is heat, heat and more heat. Only thing in the garden thats happy is tomatoes corn and peppers. Green beans just refuse to produce. Even the squash shriviled up. Think its supposed to cool down a little, but when its over 100 every day they think the 90s are cooler.
Think I'll have some of that sun tea with mint if there is any left. I need to cool off.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Marla, I'm sending virtual rain vibes!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Evening girls,
After a busy day working in my classroom, I am ready to sit on the porch. whew! I am tired. So I think I will just listen to the stories tonight and enjoy a cup of tea.

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  12:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!...Oh, you can't hear me...well Iam talking as loudly as I can. I still have laryngitis! I would LOL but you couldn't hear me anyway. Unfortunately I got so sick I ended up having to send my Granddaughters back home after only two days. And my husband drug me to the doctor. The Doc. said it wasn't strep-throat but something just as nasty. I told him that whatever "IT" was, it made me lose
The Fun Grandma Title of the year. He said, Well, I am sure your Granddaughters understand that you're the Sick Grandma and need to go home and stay in bed. So, even though the girls and I were both sad that they had to leave...we did have fun for two days (as fun as I could muster running a fever of 101, a throat that felt like raw hamburger and like there was a boulder down there I couldn't swallow around and then I lost my voice completely). After 3 days of super strong anti-biotics and some mouth gargle to numb my throat long enough to swallow my pills and eat a bit of food...I am feeling half way human. I got out of bed today at noon, showered, took my dog out, got the mail, checked my garden (yea, I had two spaghetti squash and a large Zucchini to pick) and by the time I made it back into my Aptmnt. I was exhausted, sweating and had to go back to bed. But hey, it was
progress! I got back up at 7:00 pm and felt like eating a little and working on my Mail-Art for August. So, little by little I'm coming back around...

NOW, DO YOU WANT TO HEAR THE BEST MEDICINE&THERAPY I HAD TO TODAY?
It was lots of mail in my mail box from my Farm Sisters! I felt so awful for so many days and then all of a sudden I felt so blessed and so cheered up! You guys are the best medicine on the face of the Earth!

Pam...oh, my gosh...what can I say? I WAS FLOORED BY YOUR LITTLE TREAT! You Bundle of Loveliness you! Thank you, Thank You, Thank You!
I will treasure my treat forever because it was done by the hands of perfection and Miss Superb Talent herself. Oh, I could kiss you and hug you and squeeze you to death!! Needless to say, I LOVE IT!

Lin...thank you so much for the picture of yourself (you look just like an a acquaintance of mine here in Vancouver and her name is Lin) It is almost spooky how much you two look alike. Thanks also for the lists of Photo Swap Farm Girls. Porchies we need to do this amongst ourselves too. We can do both the Photo Swap listed on Swaps and then we can do one among ourselves too. In fact I will be sending out a photo to Pam, Lin, Darlene,& Monica...in the next day or two. So, keep emailing me your addresses and we will have fun putting faces to names.

Darlene...you are just as adorable and fun looking as I pictured you in my mind. I could definitely see you, Pam, Lida and I having lots of laughs on our bikes together. You Kind of remind me of Paula Dean too. Do you have a Southern Accent?

And My Secret Sister...sent me the most adorable little greeting cards that she made, then she said I could swap them if I wanted to. Ain't no way that is going to happen girlfriend. I may send them to people but those little cuties are mine! I love them!

Then Karen Bates...sent me her Mail-Art Piece today and it was a pretty "Seed Packet" Theme with a poem called Thoughts In the Garden by Andrew Marvell. And a lovely personal note from her. Thanks so Much...it was so Pretty!

Well, as you can tell my mailbox seemed like Christmas today and it was like you all just wrapped a big old warm blanket around me and said, "Get Better Sister...we're thinking about you...and praying for you."

Suzanne, Pam and Lin even emailed me to check on me...you all are just
the greatest gifts God has blessed me with in a long long time. I treasure each and everyone of you. You all have such special talents and personalities and down home sweetness and joy that I'd like to plant you each in my garden and just watch you grow! If friends were flowers I'd pick you all and keep you in my favorite crystal vase...it has hearts all over it. Since You All Have such Beautiful Hearts it would be a natural fit.

Thanks for enriching my life, heart and soul! Man, what did I do to deserve you Wonderful Ladies? Not one stinken thing...but I am glad God loves me enough to shower me with YOU! I feel like the richest woman in the world! Thanks To Each Of You!

Huge Hugs...HUGE!
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 06 2010 12:40:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Yeah! I'm glad she got to you safe. You are so welcome!

Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  09:43:37 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn I am sooo glad that you are on the mend. I will make up some home-made organic chicken soup for the pourch and you will be better in no time. My chicken soup makes everything feel better.

Well canning has let up. All this heat is doing a number on the garden and production seems to be at a stand still. Hubby was out of work for 8 months after being laid off after almost 30 years with the company. He was given his job back on a temp basis but at a huge cut in pay. So the garden was my way of making ends meet. Well just trusting God that we will get through these hard times. Us farm-girls know how to stretch every buck.

So lets pull up a chair, bring on the tea, some laughs and I will bring the soup. Ahhhh friends make even hard times a party.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:07:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear you are getting better PeggyAnn. Being voiceless really stinks. I remember being in that position and don't care to visit it again any time soon. So nice all the goodies and warm wishes you received in the mail box. I bet that was a wonderful surprise.

I got up early this morning and decided to see if I could get the hedge trimmer going again so I could wage war with the bushes and pricker bushes along the road. I sure must have had a guardian angel with me. When the trimmer idles the blade still goes back and forth some, just not like when I have it in cutting mode. Well, this grapevine got stuck in the blade so I pulled it out. Same thing I've done before, only this time when I pulled it out my hand kept going and my middle finger hit the blades. Sure am glad a little voice was telling me to wear my garden gloves this morning. Only thing that kept my finger from some real nastiness was the gloves. They got stuck in the blades and kept them from moving. I have quite a cut above my top knuckle, but nothing that needs stitches. Could have been worse. Anway, no way am I going to even mention to Honey what I did because he'll never let me use it again. Then the job will never get done.

Tomorrow starts the County Fair. Middle Boy is entering his Mille Fleur d'Uccle trio in the 4-H show and Eldest is entering his pigeon in the open class. Me, well I'm going to enter some chocolate chip cookies, peanutbutter cookies, and sourdough bread. Oh, and a jar of dandelion jelly. First time I'm not entering any veggies since the garden went down the toilet from several months of drought. Not going to enter eggs either. That's cause a friend is going to get things entered for me and I don't want to load her down. We'll be at the State Fair during County Fair entering time since Middle Boy has a 4-H project at the State Fair and Youngun has his car in the pinewood derby race at the State Fair. Thank goodness they're both on the same day and I don't have to pay for two days there. I'm excited they both have something going on there.

Alright, time to get up off this glider and get my bahookie in gear. Plenty to do and I have to find the energy to do it. I'm sure it's around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I know - it's behind that hidden chocolate bar in the fridge...

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile
Marla, I understand the garden needs thing. I have used a website called freecycle to acquire extra produce from local gardeners who have it. You could check out the site and see if they have a chapter in your area. I posted a request for veggies and fruit that the people weren't goin to use and now I have so many cases of food canned up my shelves won't hold them all. I have them stacked in the basement! We have been on less then half my DHs income for nearly 2 years, now he's workin and for about 2/3 what he was before he was laid off. We are makin it by the grace of God. He keeps leadin us to people who are about to throw out exactly what we need!

Peggy, you rest and have some soup! I'm glad you're on the mend. Don't worry about talkin, just sit and listen to all of us chatter. We'll keep you entertained!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Marla...I would love some of your chicken soup. My hubby doesn't know much about fussing over me when I get
sick. I asked him two nights ago to bring me something home to eat, even if it was a can of soup...I was too
sick to cook and my throat was so raw and inflamed and that boulder was hard to swallow around. You'll never guess what he brought me home. A Salad! I just looked at him like, "You've got to be kidding, right?" At times
like that...it's a good thing I love him and think he is my precious.

Sharon...Surely your Guardian Angel was standing right by your side! You could have been seriously injured. I bet that shook you clear down to your toes...with shock. My husband cut off three of his fingers half way down at an angle, in a ply-wood mill accident years ago. Back then they weren't even attempting to re-attach fingers and limbs...so, he has very limited use of his right hand. The sad thing at the time was he was just getting ready to sign a contract with a Minor League Baseball Team as a Pitcher. He had been praying about it, seeking God's answer because he sort of felt called to the Ministry at the same time. Now, I don't believe God caused his fingers to be chopped off... but he did end up going to Bible College and becoming a Minister/Teacher/Counselor. He started his first Church in Portland Oregon at age 18 and Ministered for 40+ yrs. He no longer has a Pulpit Ministry...but we all know that Ministers never really Retire.

Angela...how very smart of you to think of Freecycle for Garden Produce. I would have never even gone there in my mind. You are one smart cookie! You never cease to amaze me girlfriend!

OK...I have to go back to bed for awhile. I feel weak and tired again.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  12:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tea Angela...I thought you must all be praying for me yesterday, because after my rest on the porch, I put dinner in the crockpot and then I dried 4 trays of veggies and went to work til 10pm. Today the carrots and red peppers are drying....and off to work I'm going again tonight....I finished two mail art peices and they're drying while I work....
Hope you're all having a great day! I'll have to catch up on here sometime on the weekend...whenever that might be I don't have a day off until Monday......but thankful for the extra $$....
Until I come up for air....have a great weekend!!!
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I just got back from getting my hair cut. I chopped it pretty short! I really like it. I also got my eyebrows done. Now I'm feeling very sassy! Now time for some tea and relaxing on the porch.

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  6:31:55 PM  Show Profile
It is evening now, so we're slapping skeeters and swapping stories! There is a lot of laughter because we've had a long day in the garden and got dinner cleaned up so we're tired and giddy...my favorite time of day!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  6:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals, I run past the porch most evenings and have never stopped by to sit a spell, but tonight seemed like a good night to stop and say "Hi"! I really enjoy the fellowship on the porch and the yummy snacks as well.
Peggy, so glad you are feeling better - nothing worse than being sick and not being able to play with those grandkids, at least you had a couple of days with them.
thanks for letting me join ya'll tonight - will stop by again soon.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, your story about the salad, cracked me up! After 29 years of marriage, I just had to laugh, because my husband would've probably done the same thing, and been beeming from ear to ear at what a marvel he brought! God Bless Him!
On another note: My dog went to the groomers today...they shaved him, and he won't stop barking now...he just looks at me and barks...it's a happy bark, but he's driving me crazy...he wants me to pick him up and hold him....he's such a baby! But darn cute even if he is obnoxious!
Hope you are continuing to feel better Peggy!
Darlene, I got your photo today...how fun! You're too cute! You look full of fun! I can't wait to get the rest! I just took my pic off fb...it's the best I could do in short notice! Hope it works!
Carrie: Love that" Swapping Skeeters and swapping stories"
CUUUUUUTEEEEEEE Pam! You are looking SASSY and full of fun I'm sure...
Sharon enjoy the County fair! Nice to see you Ruth ! Marla, nothing like a bowl of homemade soup to make all of us feel better, even if we don't know we need it!!! It always make you feel better! Angela, what a good feeling to know you have prepared for your family!!! You go girl!!! You inspire us all! I started drying veggies to make soup mix!.
Well, my family is off to bed, so I should think about that also!~ Goodnight all! Sleep well! Got it...that giant Skeeter! Did you see how big it was? LOL!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page