Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile
doing better slowly, loved reading everyone's post's today. Thanks for all the support and kind words...you ladies are absolutely wonderful and amazing!!!Sitting on the porch tonight thinking of how lucky I am but a little jealous of all the gardens I'm reading about. Mine just hasn't done well this year. Oh well, the herbs are looking fantastic at least

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jul 13 2010 9:05:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  9:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Danyelle, there's always room for more!! Your casserole sounds wonderful!! Who is Mrs. Julie?

Dana, so glad to hear from you and "slow and steady wins the race" so you just take it easy and enjoy the food and good friends!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  12:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Lida And Darlene...there is a special place in Heaven for people like you...who have a heart for those who are close to heading home.
My husband is the same way, he always said he would rather do a funeral for Church Members than a Wedding. He has such compassion and tenderness mixed with a great sense of humor. Everyone just loves him. I on the other hand as a Pastor's wife have dealt with a lot of death and dying and for me it is hard. It hurts so much to see people in pain, or lonely or incapasatated when they had been so vibrant and active. That is the part of growing older than I really don't like...watching people I love pass. Even when I know they are going home to the Lord and they won't be in pain anymore. I guess it because I have an extremely strong mercy/feeling heart. I don't fear death for them or myself...I just selfishly don't want to live without them.

Pam hope you are doing better tonight! If hugs help...you got them today from your Farm Sisters.

Dana...I was glad to see you checking in tonight. We are all praying for you and your family. Life is Hard...but God is Faithful!

Blessings and Prayers,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Just thinking about all of you today....no time to chat today, have to go into town and pick up my daughter some French books...she has to learn her French if she wants to go to her Asia Destination with her job! They require their managers to know French. Regardless where they're located! She's doing Rosetta Stone, but needs a little dictionary and maybe I'll get a French film for practice...
I can't believe she's gonna be that far away! I think she should live by me her whole life... I don't know why she doesn't think so! LOL!
I love the heart of all of Farmgirls..........you're such a blessing! Here's a little extra love for those that need it!!!![red]HUGSSSS![/red]

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh and all you girls that have gardens and your harvesting...keep going! It sounds wonderful! Its so fun to hear all the things you're getting out of them...the banana squashes, and the butternuts, and all....and the volunteer squashes...that's fun to see what they are...a little blessing...
I had to pull mine up...too much heat, with wet and damp (humidity) they were rotting! and then the bugs moved in...Aphids the size of dimes overtook the little darlings,andsome other kind of beetle I didn't recognize...and I took a class on this stuff..(LOL) so out they came and we'll try again in late oct. or Nove...that's usually when I have the best luck with my gardens...when all the rest of yours are sleeping and already harvested.
Have a great day farmgirls!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile
I am gettin a lot of this new pepper I found. It's called 'Fooled You'. It has the look and taste of a jalapano with no heat. I love it! I have been using it to cook with and it gives everything so much flavor. My only problem is that everyone in my family wants them and I only planted four plants! I am gonna be stingy and keep back a bunch of the really big ones to make pepper poppers with. I need poppers for our New Years Eve party and I want some for the kids, some with banana peppers for a mild one, and some with the cubanellas for a hot one. I am also prepin up some cut up batter dipped veges to freeze for deep fried vege bites. I love a freezer full of food ready to throw in the fryer for parties. My DH got a big 2 sided fryer for our anniverary last year. If he can use it I don't have to do all the cookin for our get togethers! I thought it was a good choice for him! LOL! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, you and your husband are truly "angels on earth"! Wow, your blog left me speechless and so grateful for good people like you all!!

Monica, I've never heard of aphids that huge!! Yuck!!! Sorry you lost all your squash...drats! Next crop will be great, I'm sure!!!

Angela, your peppers sound terrific! I don't like "hot", so may have to try those!!

I'll stop by the porch after work. Hmmmmm....let's see, maybe a fresh salad will taste good! Hugs, Lin

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Aww, thanks ladies. I'm feeling a little better today. Just having a mood. I'm so glad I have you guys in my life.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:10:48 AM  Show Profile
Lida -- that's so heart-warming hearing about the work you do. Love coming here on the porch & reading about what you all are working on, cooking up, tending to. I hope you're not feeling blue anymore, Pam. Welcome, Danyelle. What's the breakfast casserole got in it? Peggy, I hope your bike gets back from the shop soon! Have you decided on a name for it yet?

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Angela...I am going to see if we have those peppers around here. I don't like HOT much anymore. And what is
a pepper popper? Never heard of that!

Danyelle...Welcome to the Porch...we always have room for more!

Jewel...I think I have decided on a name...but I am still trying it out for
size to see if it really is the one I want to stick with. Then I will
announce who won...once I am positive.

Pam...glad to hear your sweet voice today and to hear that you were just in a blue
mood. We all get those girl but isn't it nice to get all the Farmgirl hugs & loves.
If that doesn't help a mood nothen will! LOL

Dana...we are keeping you in our prayers dear one. I know that God heals the broken-hearted
but it doesn't happen over night. And each experience we go through teaches us invaluable
lessons.

See you back tonight girls with some strawberries dipped in chocolate. Maybe I'll just bring
the Fondue Pot and a tray of fruits, meats and breads too. Enjoy the Day!

Hugs,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  11:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Peggy-you are so amazing! You lift my spirits!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  11:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, pepper poppers are peppers with the top cut off, middle pulled out and cheese of some kind put inside. Then you batter dip and deep fry them. Very fattening! Very satisfying! Very yummy! I prep, cheese fill, then freeze them overnight. Then I make my batter, dip them frozen in it, and refreeze. For a really fattening treat you then make a cornmeal batter and redip them the next day! Once they are frozen you can put them in baggies of freezer containers or make a waxed paper wrap for them. They keep for months I'm told, but ours never make it a few weeks if I don't bury them behind the bags of oats and wheat! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  1:32:13 PM  Show Profile
I really can't tell you how uplifting this thread is to me. I think it is going to become the first thing I read after my morning quiet time. It really IS like meeting friends on a porch and sharing th trials & joys of the day. I love the tender care, the warm wishes and encouragement, and humor(not to mention the great food *Ü*)that abound here!

Blessings going out to you all!

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346

http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful group of ladies we have on this porch! Would one of you gardeners who have spaghetti squash mind saving me some seeds from your harvest, if it turns out that none of my volunteers are spachetti squashes? I love all winter squashes but DH can't stand them, with the exception of spaghetti squash that he drowns in butter and salt.

Peggy- I wear many hats as a chaplain but my favorite hat is the end of life caring and pastoral oversight. Not many people understand this love I have for one of the most difficult parts of ministry. It is a privilege to be present with the person and his/her family at the end of life.

Off to a concert to benefit where I work, then to the hospital.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm not much on singing the blues about my own life, but my husband got his notice he will be laid off in Sept...so they can hire young kids on an intern program....I was a little discouraged to say the least so I went out to pick some fun stuff for the Nature swap I'm in and I think I got in the ticks...aghhh....now I have the creapy crawlies and we're supposed to go to someone's house for dinner soon! aghh, aghh...again!
Well, hope everyone's having a good night...I'll be thinking of you all as I'm scratching my head and legs throughout dinner!!! Hhehehehe
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:43:04 PM  Show Profile
peggy, those pepper poppers sound delish...could you bring some out to the porch! I love them!!!
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile
oops...should get it right...sorry peggy, that's Angela with the pepper poppers! The Fondue pot of yummies sounds good Peggy! Maybe I'll bring desert after our dinner tonight!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  3:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lida, I was just going to tell you I would save you some seeds when I saw you asked for some. Great minds work together girlfriend.

It has been a blessing for me to help families and their loved one enter their next realm. If I can hold someone's hand, brush their brow, rub their back, cry with them, pray with them, medicate them to ease their pain,breathing or swallowing difficulties or what ever I can do is what I'll do to love them through it.

The most difficult time was in 2007 for my dear Mother. She was visiting my sister and had a massive stroke. She was admitted to ICU. I got the call while at work. Although she was a DNR with a living will it was a constant attempt to do more and more tests. Before I got there I kept getting calls from my sister, they want to do this or that. I reminded my sister about her paperwork and to abide by them. 3 older sisters couldn't and wouldn't make any decisions. My Mother continually made me promise to obey her wishes. I agreed and reassured her often. Well the time had come. 1st time I saw Mother she recognized me but couldn't speak anymore. I assured her I would take her home to her house and care for her. She shook her head yes. She did not want to go to a nursing home. Enter Doctor who wanted to do tests etc. Answer from me was,"Will this benefit her or you? The answer is you so the answer is NO!" Now I want her to be comfortable with Roxanol for pain and Levsin for swallowing difficulties as well as an order for something to help her breathing. Long story short MD only ordered 1 dose. Had to threaten to go above the MD if she wasn't dealt with in a compassionate and competant way as spelled out in her Living Will! She was then moved to a neuro floor and given the meds that I requested and what I give my own patients. She drifted into a coma. I took lotion, perfume and bath gel and said to my 1 sister that we would make her feel good before she went to heaven. So we bathed her, washed her hair, lotioned her, perfumed her and dressed her in a nightie and positioned her so she looked comfortable. All the while loving and talking to her. I said, "It's ok Mother, now you can go meet Pap." My sister and I left when our 2 other sisters came for their shift. That was the last time I saw my mother alive but I knew as hard as it was, that I honored her wishes and I can live with that. As special as it is when there is a birth, it is equally important and special to love someone out of their life. Praise God for his Blessings!

What I have to say to everyone is, have your papers in order and make sure someone will be there to see that your wishes are honored.

Dana, I know it s soooo difficult for you so just feel our love and prayers to love you through this.

Blessings,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  3:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, the chocolate dipped fruit sounds awesome!!Yummmmmm!!!

Angela, those breaded pepper poppers makes my mouth water!! Oh my.........I need to try those!

Monica, I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby's job. There is so much of that going on, it's alarming and so scary for families!! I'm sure things will work out, but the "unknown" is tough! Keep visiting the porch....we'll help keep your spirits up!! Ughhhhh.....ticks! Nasty things!

Oh my, Darlene, what a beautiful story of love and compassion. I thank you for sharing and for your dedication amd passion for what you believe in. Hugs and Smiles, Lin

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Monica...I just bought a Flea And Tick Collar for my dog but I could send
it your way if ya need it girlfriend! Ha Ha

Now on the not so funny side is the news about your hubby. That is just TERRIBLE!
One of the gals in my Bible Study her husband keeps getting bumped for younger
hires too. He has been on unemployment for quite awhile. Will get a job and be on
it for 3 or 4 months then get bumped again. He is getting seriously depressed. But
I have faith that God will provide for my friends husband and yours...even in these
most difficult economic times. My favorite quote is "Life is Tough...but God is Faithful"
by Sheila Walsh and I truly believe that with all my heart. And there have been occasions
when I have just gone around repeating that to myself for days until my head and heart both
believed it.

Angela...Thanks for explaining about pepper poppers. You need to make enough to share on the porch!
Don't the rest of you Porchies think so too? :+) I looked today for those peppers in plant or
seed and didn't find any. So, if you can find me seeds...I would pay you for them. We may not
have them in our neck of the woods. But certainly don't go out of your way or go to any trouble
but if you spotted them while you were out and about keep me in mind. Pretty Please with sugar/cream!

Lida...I know that your job encompasses many facets but I admire and love the fact that God put people
on this earth to show us how to die by example (those with amazing attitudes and strong spirits) and people like you and Darlene and my hubby to hold hearts and hands during those final moments and then just hand them on over to our Beloved Father. It takes such selfless love, compassion,and gentle-strength to be that person. It truly does!

Pam...your a doll and you brighten my day every time you are on this thread or any other!

Monica...dessert sounds perfect! Meet you all back her later.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:39:30 PM  Show Profile
evening ladies
chocolate dipped fruit oh my that is my weakness
i have some gorgeous blackberries they would be awesome
it been raining all day but badly needed so i'm not
the least bit unhappy..and sitting here on the porch
is a wonderful way to spent some time.
blessing deborah

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening, Farmgirls. I've read some of the excerpts from the virtual porch in MJF magazine and loved the idea, but this is my first visit. I'll have a berry dipped in chocolate and just listen in for a while, if you don't mind. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  6:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lin and PeggyAnn, I love humour! Get me that flea and tick collar! We actually just ran in the house because the Mosquito sprayer truck was making it's rounds and I don't want to be anywhere around when he's out...the fallout from that stuff can't be healthy!

Just had dinner with another Farmgirl at Heart...and it was so sweet...she put her farmgirl binder out just because we were coming over and she showed me her garden space and some projects she's working on and gave me photo she took (she's a photographer as a hobby)...she's just the sweetest..so that was nice to go there...it's interesting because she shared with us a hospice story and it was so touching.....all of you that deal with death on a daily basis, "God Bless YOU"....there's so much we take for granted everyday...life is so much more than what we make of it sometimes! It's such a gift and I hope you're all available when I need help saying goodbye to someone....you're all the best.....really!
I wonder if Mary Jane realizes how much she's added to all our lives by giving us each other?
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Going to sit here on the porch tonight with some jasmine green tea, read my MJF magazine that I haven't been able to focus on yet, and enjoy everyone's company. I agree Monica, aren't we lucky to have this little forum to chat and support each other on? I feel so blessed!

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dianne! Your more than welcome to come join us on the porch when ever you'd like! All the food and yummies here on the porch are calorie free and no fat! We love our cookin, gardenin, sewin, knittin, and cluckin! LOL! So join in when ever you'd like and eat up all these great ladies food and friendship. It will nourish your very soul.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page